Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Shades of Blue ❯ Happy Birthday ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: This is set a year and a half in the future.

Chapter Two
Thursday, December 10 (Limo)
It's my sixteenth birthday today, Diary, but the only person who remembered was Seiji. I love my driver, he's more family than anyone in that big house, but still, they should have remembered.
Seiji just asked me how long it's been since I came here.
I answered, "One year, three months, and thirteen days, but who's counting?" He didn't smile at my joke.
I don't blame him. It was lame.
School. Bye.

I'm in class 2-A. I've been sitting in the back and blending in for a while now, but every now and then someone gets too curious.
"Niji-san?"
Looking up from my book, I saw a small girl. Nami Watanabe, first daughter of the Watanabe hotel chains. Important.
"Good morning, Watanabe-san. Is there something I can do for you?"
Relief flooded my body when she shook her head. I had done enough favors for my lifetime. "Ano, I was just wondering," she began, looking down at her feet. "Do you, um, are you from the Akagane Family? As in the illegitimate child of-."
My book slammed shut and she jumped. "Curiousity killed the cat, Watanabe-san. Perhaps you should take your seat. Class is about to start."
She did as she was told and left, but I could tell from the tears welling up in her eyes that I had hurt her feelings. Whatever.
"You could have been nicer."
Looking up I recognized the handsome face. Tamaki Suoh, the supposed "heir" of the Suoh empire. Very important.
"I'll keep that in mind for next time."
"There wont be a next time," Tamaki sighed watching the trembling girl take her seat. "She's probablly never going to try to talk to you again."
Good, I wanted to say, but only shrugged.
"Tamaki. Class." Behind him was Kyoya Ootori, the third son of the Ootori family. Give or take a few years and he would be the heir. Important.
"Good morning, Ootori-san." He acknoledged me with a nod, but didn't bother with me. I didn't mind, I was used to it.
"Ah, Hime-chan!" Tamaki grinned, turning his attention back to me. "You are a new flower in this garden, when did you blossom?"
"I am not a new flower in any garden, Suoh-san," I said. "I am just someone in your class that you have failed to notice existed for the past two years."
"Th-That's not true!"
"Then what's my name?"
He stuttered out some excuses, but I wasn't listening anymore.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt," I said softly, fingering the spine of my black diary.
"What was that?"
"Advice, Suoh-san," I replied calmly. "You should take it and your seat. Class is starting."
The Ootori-boy's eyes were on me, analyzing like he always was, but I pretended not to notice. There wasn't much to see. I was just a wallflower in this amazing "garden" of high society. I didn't blame Suoh for not knowing who I was, he wasn't in a position where he had to memorize the names and faces of the entire student body to make sure he did not to offend anyone.
That was my job.
Giving me a sad smile, Tamaki handed me the rose I was too busy protecting my pride to notice he was holding. "Please accept this as an apology, Hime-sama. And perhaps you will join us at club today?"
"Indigo," I told him, taking the red flower and purposely ignoring his offer. "My name is Indigo."
"Then later, Indigo-hime," he waved and moved towards his seat in the front.
"Please be a little politer, Niji-san," Kyoya said as soon as his blond friend was out of earshot. "You are not in any position to speak to anyone as you do."
"Politeness is just organized indifference."
"Paul Valery," he replied before leaving me alone in the back of class 2-A trying to blend in.

After class, instead of bolting for the door, I stayed behind and thought.
I had changed. I know I had. I didn't smile as often, wore clothes I despised, straightened the hair I loved, made mediocre grades, and only spoke when necessary.
I'm not happy. I haven't been for a while.
“Wise men ne'er sit and wail their woes," I whispered to myself. Shakespeare was right, but I only shook my head. "I'm not a wise man."
"Of course not!" An annoyingly familiar voice squealed. "You're a wise woman!"
Staring up at the peculiar eyes of Tamaki, I had a strange thought. His eyes, commonly reffered to as "violet" or "purple", but were, in fact, "indigo."
“Irony is an insult conveyed in the form of a compliment,” I told him as-a-matter-of-factly.
"Edwin Whipple."
Turning to see the Ootori behind Tamaki, I felt displeased with myself. Attracting too much attention was not good.
"Excuse me, Suoh-san. Ootori-san," I bowed and reached for my bag.
"Eh?" Tamaki cried, dismayed. "You're not coming with us?"
"Where?"
"Club!"
My heart sank and I mentally kicked myself for not leaving sooner. "Maybe another day?"
"What's wrong with today?"
I was silent for a moment, no excuses prepaired.

"I brought you a gift, Tamaki-senpai," a girl blushed and handed him a small box.
Cupping the girl's face in his hands, the idiotic flirt bent closer to her, "You shouldn't have. Your presence here is present enough."
Cue equally (if not more) idiotic squeals.
"Stupidity should be painful," I muttered, shifting uncomfortably on the couch still upset with myself for ending up here.
"Is something wrong, Niji-san?" Looking up at a slightly more composed fangirl, I smiled. "I'm fine, Kitamura-san."
"...Niji?" Tamaki repeated, finally releasing the unconcious girl. "Your name is Niji, Indigo-hime?"
I bit my lip, afraid this would happen. "Hai. If you don't mind, Suoh-san, I'd like to try out another host. Would that be all right?" I didn't give him time to answer before I went to the closest host who did not have a habit of flashing their glasses or cuddle with their brother.
"It's nice to meet you, Fujioka-san," I smiled at the boy. "I've heard much about you."
"Ah, hai," Haruhi bowed. "And you are?"
"Indigo Niji."
"It's good to meet you, Niji-senpai," he smiled. "Would you like some tea?"
"Please."
As he made my cup, the other customers leaned toward me, looking a little interested. "I haven't seen you before, are you new, Niji-san?"
I smiled, but it didn't reach my eyes. "No, Sakumoto-san, I came at the end of Junior High. I just keep to myself, that's all. Oh, you have such lovely curly hair. I wish I had it."
The girl blushed and mumbled a thank you.
"Oh!" One of the girls shreaked. "I remember! When Niji-san came, she scored so high at the beginning of the year. She even beat Tamaki-senpai and tied with Kyoya-senpai!"
"Really?" Haruhi perked up.
I cringed at my past mistake, but it was only noticed by Haruhi.
"Hai," she continued. "It was so shocking for a commoner to score so high. Except for you, Fujioka-san!" She added quickly. "But, yes, it was amazing. Though, after that, Niji-san didn't do so well, and went down to the middle of the school ranking. Isn't that right, Niji-san?"
I nodded, but then shook my head modestly. "It was just luck."
They giggled and agreed, and I was relieved the storm had passed, but a pair of mocha eyes were still fixed on me.

The hours passed slowly, yet surely and it was finally time to leave. Relief washed over me but as I was about to follow the rest of the girls before I was called.
"Niji-senpai!" Haruhi exclaimed. "Your uniform!"
Looking down at I spotted the huge stain. Smiling, I shook my head, "Don't worry about it, Fujioka-san. It's not that big of a deal, I hated it anyway."
"Ni...ji-sen...pai?" Haruhi blinked up at me as the last of the customers filled out of the room. "Could it be...you're trying not to stand out?"
Silence fell over the room as the hosts turned their attention to me and I could feel panic build up inside of me.
"Your grades," he said, thinking outloud. "You can't just suddenly do so well and then not. Luck doesn't work that way. And your hair," he pointed to the stick-straight strands. "You said you wanted curly hair, but you already have it."
To my horror, I spotted one small, yet obvious curl hanging in front of my face.
"And the uniform, why would you wear it if you don't like it?" Haruhi asked. "It's not manditory. And how does someone who transfered so long ago, not get noticed unless-"
"Enough!" I hadn't meant to shout, but if my memory served right, I had. "What's your point? So what? I can do whatever I want," I snapped, childishly.
"Of course you can, but...you don't look happy, Niji-senpai."
He had hit the nail and I was at a loss of words. I had heard of the commoner scholarship-student and his amazing abilities to see through people, but never had I imagined he'd be able to do it all because of one stain on a hideous dress.
"So why do you do it, Senpai?"
"Indigo Niji," Kyoya read off his notebook. "Class 2-A. Third daughter and illegitimate child of Lyn Niji and the Akagane Head, Ken Akagane, who owns multiple hotel chains, medical pharmacies, convenience stores, and hospitals. Born December 10 in the United States."
"Eh?" Mitsukuni Haninozuka beamed. "Happy birthday, Indi-chan!"
"Th...Thanks..." I said quietly. "I think I should go...now."
"W-Wait, Niji-san!" Tamaki called, but I had already slammed the door.

"What a weird girl," the twins commented staring after her.
"But, I don't understand," Haruhi remarked turning to Kyoya and Tamaki. "Why would she do all that?"
"If I am correct," Kyoya began, pushing up his glasses.
"Which you probably are," the twins nodded.
"She was told to."
"By who?"
"Her father. Who else?"
"But why?"
"You don't advertise that you had an illegitimate child," he replied. "Especially one from such a powerful family. And especially one whose mother was the wife, now ex-wife, of an equally important family."
"Like?"
"The Suohs."
"Eh...?"

Long, yes, but done.
Review, please!