Outlaw Star Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Gems ❯ Vol 1: Chap 1. The Power of the Gems ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Power of the Gems
Jim Hawking sat down in front of the car shop. His car was under inspection and wouldn't be ready within eight hours. Gene was off at a bar and the girls were off shopping. And to top it all off, the Outlaw Crew was in Japan and Jim didn't know his way around Tokyo. "Damnit! It's going to take forever with the car there's nothing to do around here!" he thought. His first notion was to go to the bar where Gene was, but thought what was the point? They just were going to throw him out again. He was just a kid. "*Snort* Just a kid. What a stupid excuse!" Jim thought. He was about lost in his thought when something caught his eye. A girl with long brown wavy hair in a schoolgirl uniform was running towards the car shop. She stopped to catch her breath. Jim was delirious. "What's a girl like her doing in a place like this?" he thought. Driven by curiosity, Jim got up and walked over to her. The girl looked up and saw him. When Jim got close, she grabbed him and ran like there was no tomorrow. "Where are you taking me?!?" the boy yelled. The girl didn't answer, she just kept running.
Once they got into a dark ally, the girl let go of Jim. "What's the deal?!?" the boy yelled. The girl covered his mouth and looked around. Once she was sure it clear, she said: "I'm running away from my teacher." The girl read his eyes. "I'm not following." they seemed to say. "Okay. I decided to skip school today and the teacher caught me leaving campus. So now she's chasing me." the girl explained. "But why are you taking me along?" Jim asked. "Because you're a witness!" she hissed. He was silent. "If Williams-san saw you, she'd question you to death." she continued. "Oh." said Jim.
"RUTHIE!!!" a woman's voice called. "Oh God! That's her!" the girl said. Jim was confused. "Ruthie? Who's Ruthie?" asked he. "That's me!" the girl yelled. That she grabbed Jim and started running again. "Not again!" Jim yelled as he was being dragged along.
Jim and Ruthie ran into an open valley. "We *pant* should be safe here. *Pant pant*" said Ruthie. "Why can't you go back to school?" Jim asked. Ruthie gave him a sour look. "What are you? My guilty conscience?!?" she snapped. Then she stomped off. "What's her problem?" he thought. Then he followed her.
As they were walking, Ruthie began seeing hearts. "This boy is so dreamy! If only I knew his name!" she thought. "Hey kid!" Ruthie said. "Hai?" said Jim. "What's your name?" the girl asked. "Jim Hawking." the boy answered. "Oh." said Ruth. "Jim Hawking! What a perfect name for an angel!" she thought happily.
The kids stopped at a stream to rest. They sat down at the bank. "Seems peaceful here." Jim thought. He was looking around when he saw another young girl. She had short red hair and was dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. "What's she doing here?" he thought. So Jim got up and walked over to the girl. "Jim, where are you going?" Ruthie asked. She got up and followed him. The girl looked up at Jim and Ruthie. "Hi." she said. "Uh…hello." said Jim. "I'm Elizabeth. What's your name?" the redhead said cheerfully. "I'm Jim. This is Ruthie." the boy said. Ruth just gave a little wave.
The three kids were talking when Elizabeth felt a drop on her cheek. She looked up. Rain began pouring down. "Uh-oh." Elizabeth said. "Now my uniform's gonna be a mess!" Ruthie wailed. "Well let's get out of the rain." Jim spoke up. The two girls nodded and the trio began running for shelter.
The kids found a cave and took shelter in it. "It's too dark!" Ruthie snapped. "Well, you're in a cave stupid!" Jim barked. "Excuse me genius, then where's the dumb light you have?" Ruthie argued back. "I don't know." Jim replied. "That's right! You don't know squat!" she hissed. "Shut up!" he yelled at last. Elizabeth just giggled. "WHAT'S SO FUNNY?!?" Jim and Ruthie yelled. "Oh. Nothing" Liz said. Usually, she doesn't like fights. But today, Elizabeth found her companions' a little amusing.
A few minutes later, something caught Elizabeth's eye. "What is that?" asked she as she pointed to three glowing lights up ahead. "Huh?" said Jim and Ruthie as they looked up. "Let's go see." said Jim. The three kids walked to the end of the cave. Three crystals were sunk into a dusty stale. Elizabeth brushed her hand over them. Dust flew right at them. The three of them coughed. Writing was above the crystals. "What's that?" Ruthie hissed. "I don't know." said Liz. The girls could read Japanese, but this was a form of ancient writing. Jim pulled out his little black computer. "What are you doing Jim?" Elizabeth asked. "I'm looking up information." he answered. "On?" Ruthie hissed. "Take a guess!" Jim snapped. Ruthie just sat down on a rock.
After a few minutes of research, Jim found a little piece of the answer. "I've got it." said he. The girls looked up. "What does it say?" Ruth asked. "These crystals were part of an ancient dragon. It had enough power to destroy the entire planet!" the boy said. The girls listened quietly. "But some where between centuries, it was destroyed and stored into three crystals, the heart, the brain, and the body." Jim continued. "Pretty good genius. But tell me this, why are these crystal things around are necks?" Ruth asked sarcastically. "Huh?" Jim asked as he looked down. It was true. He had a black gem around his neck. "Uh…." said Jim. He had no answer. "Give me a minute." he said at last. Then he began doing more research.
"Guys." Jim said nervously. The girls looked up. "It says if anyone wore these crystals, they become the dragon bearers." said he. "WHAT?!?" the girls yelled. "I don't want to do that!" Elizabeth wailed. So she tried to take her orange gem off. But when she did, it just forced back on her. "What?" asked she. Elizabeth tried to take it off two times more. The same thing happened. "Give up!" said Ruthie. "It wants to stay on." Elizabeth just sat down and pouted.
"So what else about the gems?" Elizabeth asked. "I have the body crystal. You have the heart. And snot-face has the brain." Jim answered. "How do you know?" Ruthie snapped. "The heart is orange, the brain is blue, and the body is black." he replied. The girls looked down at their gems. Ruthie's gem was blue and Elizabeth's was orange. "Gag!" Jim exclaimed. "What?" said Ruthie boringly. "It also says the possessor of the body is the leader." he in shock. The girls were stunned in silence. "You're are leader?!?" Ruthie yelled at last. Jim nodded weakly. "How much whacked can this get?" she asked.
Beep. Beep. Beep. "Huh?" asked Jim and Ruthie as they looked up at Elizabeth. She looked down at her watch. "Oh my! I have to go home!" she wailed. Then it hit Ruthie! "Williams-san must have called my dad by now!" she said very upset. Jim didn't say anything but he knew his car was ready by now. So the three kids power walked out of the cave. (It had stopped raining by now.)
"Sayonara Elizabeth." Jim called. "Just call me Lizzie!" the redhead called back as she was leaving. "Sayonara Lizzie." Jim and Ruthie yelled. Once Lizzie had gone, Jim and Ruthie looked at each other. Ruthie frowned and said: "Well, sayonara. Jerk!" Then she stomped off. "Whatever." said Jim. "What a dreamboat!" Ruth thought as she walked ten paces away. Jim just shook his head and went to go get his car.
Later....
Back
To review e-mail @ noizchild@msn.com ^_ ^=