Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction / Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Paradiso ❯ Before Paradise ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Paradiso: Prologue-Before Paradise

Disclaimers: What we own follows as thus- ourselves, a computer and a slowly recovering manga and anime collection, with the occasional gashapon or plushie thrown in. We do not in any way own either of the characters or worlds contained within this fic. Those belong respectively to Matsuri Akino-sama and Studio Bones. We make no profit off of this but the pleasure.

A/N- just a short intro here. First crossover fic. We had been tossing this idea around for a while; but Luki_Dimension convinced us to buckle down and write it. Let us know what you think. We have about four certain chapters and a few more in the limbo of development. Hope you like what you see so far. (Please to be reviewing? Reviews are the bread and the wine of the fan-fic writer. Subu-chan and I are starving here!)

The wind hits me first, bitterly cold and tainted. My sense of the earth beneath my feet is sheer agony, for the world is thrashing in its death throes. I stagger and clutch at a frozen outcropping as the ice shudders below me. I can feel the world dying all around me and my life goes with it. It is anguish to keep moving, but I have to. I can feel them somewhere ahead of me. Already their lives are flickering, feeble points of light seen through a storm. One is fading fast, nearly gone and even as I force my shuddering body toward where it fails, I can feel a second and then fast on its heels, yet another guttering and weakening.

Darkness crowds my vision when I reach the first. They lie together in the snow, flakes clinging to cooling bodies. One is of no interest to me, his mortal spark gone past all recalling. The second, cradled in the man’s arms, is nearly gone, but a stubborn spark of life still clings, though to a body nearly devoid of life. I lift the bloody form in my arms, feeling my strength draining from me like the lifeblood through the gaping bullet wound in the slim body I hold.

“I have one.” The words are said to the empty, lifeless air, but the reply is immediate.

“I’ll bring him up. Are you alright?” The worry is evident and I allow myself a small smile.

“I am-managing. It is not comfortable and my strength fades fast, but I will not stop until I have all of them.”

“Dammit, you should have let me do it!” The body in my arms grows insubstantial and fades into the snowy air.

“You know why I could not. You would not have survived. Do you have him?”

“Yes. You’re not far from the rest of them.”

“I know. I can feel them, though their lives are fading faster than that of the planet itself.”

“I still would have done it.”

“I know. You would have died for it, and I will not risk losing you again.” I smile and hurry my dragging steps. The silence that answers has an embarrassed quality.

With every step I can feel the earth dying by inches, a drowning creature pulling me down with it. Aching, I wall away as much of the planet’s mortal agonies as I can. I cannot fail this time. Another body, this one lying broken and shattered at the foot of the mountain where I can feel the others fading, falling into the darkness. To reach them is a struggle in and of itself, made worse by the twin deaths of the planet that nurtured me and my own failing life.

They lie together, devoted to each other even as death claims them, but I will not let death steal them from me as it has stolen so many others. I kneel and rest hands on snow-covered fur. One is not pureblooded, but I know that to leave this one is to lose the other. He will not live without her and the same goes for her. Smiling softly, I speak to the air once more.
“Two more.”

“I have them. Hurry, please! I can feel you dying from here.” There is agony and fear in the reply and I steel myself against this new anguish. That I am the one causing it is a pain sharper than a knife.

“I am doing all I can. Have faith in me.”

“You know I do. Don’t die on me. I can’t do this alone.” Unsaid, the implication that death would be preferable to trying. I force myself to block the pain away. I can’t be distracted now. I cannot let myself waver.

Not much further, I find the next. Bloodstains and furrows of dirty snow show that he gave a good accounting for himself before falling. He fought well and valiantly, for the sake of the others. I touch gray fur and call again, hiding the growing weakness in my voice.
“Another. Only the last two to go now.”

The body disappears beneath my fingers. “They’re moving away from you. Can you catch them?”

“I have to, now don’t I? How are the others?”

“Healing. Ahn-suoh is with them. She will not give up any more than you will.”

“Good.” I rise to my feet with the aid of the bloodied rock where the last one lay. It is harder than it should be, and I know death is close at hand. I force my failing body into a run, knowing I have little time left to find the most important ones. This time there is a clear trail, dragging prints in the snow and spatters of blood marring the whiteness. So much blood. I wonder if he will bleed out before I reach him. No! I cannot let that happen.

I almost miss the end of the trail and the still figure lying there, as pale as the falling snow. Only the lack of tracks stops me and I fall to my knees beside the figure half-buried in the freshly fallen snow. One golden eye opens, but I do not know if it truly sees me before drifting shut. I am shaking with a cold deeper than that of the planet around me. The world is nearly gone now, dying before it can be reborn. It will take me with if I do not escape.
“I have them.” There is no disguising the weakness now and I do not try, collapsing over the body of the last. “Bring us home.”

Warmth and the familiar feel of my haven. The magic succors me and I stir weakly. Arms gather me up, trembling. “You idiot! You moron, don’t you let go now. Ten-chan, get a blanket! Tetsu, hurry with that!”

I would laugh if I had the strength at the way they rush to obey. It is for my sake, but they obey, which is a far cry from before. Warmth wraps around me and something hot is pressed into my trembling hands. Hands steady mine and help me lift the cup. I recognize the scent. It is a restorative, powerful and heady. I sip cautiously, feeling life flow back into frozen limbs.

“Are they all here? Are they safe?” I demand when I can speak again. I struggle to rise but am restrained by all those gathered around me.

“You got them all.” I am told. Others rush to add assurances.

“They are healing.”

“Ahn-suoh is healing them now.”

“Ahn-suoh had the hardest time with the first one, he was so far gone, but she says she can hold him now.”

“They will live, she says.”

“She promised she would hold them to life.”

“Ahn-suoh works a great healing. She told us not to disturb her.”

“She wants you when you are strong enough. She needs help.”

I start to rise, but gentle hands hold me back. “No. You’ve done enough. Ahn-suoh and I can finish. All she needs is someone to lend her strength, right? I can do that well enough.” Others surround me, supporting me. “Take him to bed and make sure he stays there.”

Again, there is no disobedience, no muttered growls. They all heed and I find myself laughing weakly as I am helped away to my bed. It is done. Relief fills me. I did not fail again.