Pokemon Fan Fiction / Death Note Fan Fiction / Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ 15 Minute Ficlets ❯ Theme #32 ( Chapter 32 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: Substitute
Author: Shadow/Phantomness
Pairing:
Implied Byakuya x Rukia, Senbonzakura x Sode no Shirayuki
Fandom:
Bleach
Theme: #32, Snow

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Bleach belongs to Kubo Tite, Tokyo TV and Viz. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Warnings: Het, anime filler-verse spoilers
 
Senbonzakura sometimes knew his Master more than Byakuya knew himself. Perhaps it was because his mask was porcelain on flesh and easier to remove than the expressionless façade Byakuya had perfected over the years. Perhaps it was because he had more freedom to be himself. Then again, it might be the ability to let go of his pride once in a while.
In any case, after that embarrassing incident at the party, falling asleep dead drunk with Haineko pawing him, and then leaving Sode no Shirayuki and Rukia to take out one of those Sword Fiends on their own - that was unacceptable. How would he be able to look Byakuya in the eyes if his sister was injured once again?
She had gotten some scratches, but fortunately, that was the limit of his negligence. It would not happen again.
Rukia-sama was not only family, but also his Master's pride. Pride was important. Pride was to be protected. She was still recovering from Muramasa's machinations and the resulting insurrection. Sode no Shirayuki herself had also been weakened. Being broken was never a pleasant experience, and then being re-forged by Kurotsuchi Mayuri of all people… well, at least she was resilient.
With his Master absent, he had to take care of them.
 
That made sense, Rukia admitted. She could understand her brother's honor, and of course his zanpakutou would share his sense of responsibility, but being a sword, there were certain… societal deficiencies. Zanpakutou did not quite have the same view of the world that their Shinigami counterparts did.
Senbonzakura petted her hair, his masked face gazing up into hers from across the pillow. “Do not worry.” He said. “I will protect you.”
Rukia sighed and smoothed down her pink Chappy pajamas, wondering how on earth she had gotten talked into this.
On the other side of the covers, Sode no Shirayuki was sulking, just a little bit.
 
“Are you cold?” He asked politely.
She coughed, trying not to blush. Actually, yes, she was. Sode no Shirayuki was distinctly chilly. Was that ice forming on the edge of the bed?
That was when Senbonzakura nodded knowingly and hugged her.
Rukia blushed to the tips of her hair. It was so easy to imagine that this was her brother holding her, well, aside from the uncomfortable armored plates that he had not bothered to take off. She could relax, safe in his reiatsu…
Sode no Shirayuki cleared her throat. By now, ice was creeping across the rest of the bed. Snowflakes began to fall from the ceiling.
 
“Sode no Shirayuki,” Rukia turned to look at her zanpakutou, wondering why she was angry. “Is something wrong?”
Senbonzakura gazed at the white-robed woman. He thought for a moment. Then, he nodded. “Would you like me to embrace you as well?”
For a moment, Sode no Shirayuki was shocked speechless. Did he think - was he really that clueless? She admitted that Byakuya could be shockingly blind at times, so his zanpakutou… but while she did entertain thoughts about Senbonzakura-dono at times, surely, this was improper!
He took her silence as female modesty and nodded again. “Another time,” He promised.
The rest of the ice in the room vanished, and Sode no Shirayuki turned her back on him, trying to hide her blush. Men!
 
End Fic
Completed 2/3/10
Senbonzakura is naïve… and Rukia likes cuddling.