Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ 101 RanmaxAkane Themes ❯ Theme 4 - Birthday ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Theme 4 - Birthday
 
A week before her seventeenth birthday, he asked her what she wanted. He wouldn't look her in the eyes, his two cheeks dark red. He was fidgeting, and he got out his question only by stammering awkwardly.
 
She was secretly amused by his behavior and decided to tease him. She pretended to think hard, and then she told him, “I want a chocolate cake, a new camera, new CDs, new shoes, and new dresses.”
 
His face fell. There was no way he could afford all of those. But then she grinned and stuck out her tongue playfully. “Just kidding. I don't want any of those.” And she turned around, humming, evidently very happy.
 
Not having his question answered and having forgotten his nervousness, he asked again, this time straightforwardly, “So what do you want?”
 
“I don't want anything.”
 
“Of course you must want something. You're—” he caught himself before he ended up calling her names and had another pointless fight with her. He never meant any of the names he called her, but his inclination to do so was all too innate and incorrigible.
 
A short interval of silence followed. She kept walking, and he followed uncertainly behind her.
 
“You know,” she finally said quietly, her pace slowing. He held her breath to make sure he could hear correctly. “It would be nice to be able to see your hometown.”
 
“My hometown?” He didn't recall having a hometown; most of his life was spent on training trips with his father.
 
“Or just a place you used to spent a lot of time in when you were a child.” She spun to face him, but this time it was her turn to avoid looking at his eyes. Suddenly she felt shy. “You've seen the town I grew up in, but I don't really know about your past at all.”
 
“Ah…okay, then. I'll think of a place.” For two whole minutes, neither of them could think of anything to say, both blushing furiously. “But Akane, is that all you want? You sure you don't want your new dresses and new shoes? I can get a pair of each if you want.”
 
“No, that's all I want,” she confirmed.
 
The following week, their school seats remained empty for the whole day.