Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Ranma Layer ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Ranma Layer
Chapter 2 - Initial Impressions
jwessels@ranko.homelinux.net

Characters within are property of their respective owners, nor do I claim they are my own.

Sorry for being so long, and this being so short. Just had to get _something_ out.

====================================================

Ranma peeked in the glass doorway, trying to see anything inside. After the main Zenkoku tournament cleaning crews had finished the day after. All that was left ere some minor decoration changes sense there was a change in this year's champion.

Trying the doors, he found them locked. Walking around the large round building, he spotted a service entrance garage that was open. Staying close to the wall in the dim light, Ranma found a stairway going up to the second level. He came out into a hallway with a few plants, some pictures of figures fighting and one or two statues of the two angels he saw fighting in the finals.

"High tech. They must be loaded!" Ranma gasped. Three doors down, one was open with the lights on. Creeping closer, he started to hear voices. Curious, he was about to peek around the corner when he heard footsteps coming toward him. Panicing, he dove into the dark opened door across the hallway. Scrambling behind one of the computer counters, he sighed in relief of getting away.

"HEY! Who are you?" A deep voice said right beside him.

"Eep!" Ranma jumped out in surprise. He was in a defensive stance, and looked over his opponent. He was a large man in a tan suit, short hair. Kinda with the build of a body builder. The final feature was the guy was wearing a clown wig, complete with makeup and a red rubber nose.

Snickers started, and quickly built up to full blown laughter. Rolling on the floor, Ranma completely forgot he was sneaking into the place.

"What's going in here!? I think its time for some more Wrong Answer Game!"

Ranma straightened up, and faced the new arrival.

The man that was repairing the computer console underbelly stood up, "Chief Mihara! This guy came in, and we are supposed to be closed up for the week."

Mihara adjusted his glasses and looked over the youth. He looked strong, probably could help with the testing since no one here was atheletic enough. "So, what is your name?"

"Ranma Saotome. I came here to try this angel thingy."

A smirk appeared, "So you think you have what it takes... If you can pass my tests."

This time it was Ranma's time to smile, "I accept, your challenge."

Mihara turned and went two doors down. Pressing the open button to the side, the lights to the room came on automatically. Ranma followed him in and took in his surroundings. On one side of the room was a round platform with a few headsets with visors plugged in around it. On the other side was a counter with various sets of mechanical legs and arms. The legs were standing straight up, upside down. Finally, there was a treadmill.

Flicking a few switches, Mihara pointed to the treadmill. "Run on that, if you last then I'll let you have a chance at Angelic Layer."

Ranma stretched his legs, cracked his knuckles and hopped on. "Ready, just hope you are."

Pressing a button, the treadmill, laser systems tracking Ranma's leg movements started. The mechanical legs walked along upside down and were also being tracked for later analysis. Smirking slightly, Mihara brought the rate up to three quarters and remained there for ten minutes.

Curious to when the testing would begin, "That's a good warmup, so when's the test'n start?"

Mihara's jaw dropped. The kid should have just run three miles in ten minutes - any marathon runner would have dropped flat. Pushing the treadmill to its max, Ranma still easily kept up. Amazed at the kid, he neglected to notice the right knee joint on the prototype legs come loose and send the top half flying toward the martial artist.

Catching the leg easily, Ranma took off the head set. The damaged legs then stopped immediately. "Sorry about that. I think this is yours."

Jaw still open, the chief accepted the part. Ranma waved his hands in front of the chief's face, "You alright there?"

Shaking his head back into reality, "Hmmm... yes. Good job there. You passed. You wouldn't mind helping me develop this prototype equipment some more? In exchange I can find you a place to stay and you can keep the angel for nothing. Deal?"

Ranma thought it sounded good, didn't appear to have any Nabiki style hidden agendas. "Sure thing. I was just planning on camping out someplace, but this will work much better. Any place in mind?"

"Yes, I know someone that could use a hand with cooking."

Ranma's eyebrow shot up, "Not a tomboy, is she?"

"She? Eh, good guess. No, not a tomboy - just a bit rough on getting up in the mornings. By the way, you may call me..." the chief paused and rubbed his chin, "Icchan."

"Icchan? Wierd, but ok. What now?"

Icchan picked up the phone on the wall, and pushed a speed dial button. The phone picked up, "Hello. This is Mihara. Say, you still have that room free? ..... Perfect, I found someone that will be helping me with the prototypes for a while, and needs a place to stay. He has some potential. Would you mind?" His head knodded. "Yes, I can help out with some of the expenses. ..... Ranma is his name. ..... We'll be there in about twenty minutes. Bye."

============================================================ ====