Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Soul Divide ❯ Speculations ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Soul Divide
A Ranma One Half Fan Fiction
By Michael A. Ivins
 
Ranma, his family, friends, enemies and related characters are the creation of Rumiko Takahashi. I'm just borrowing them for my own entertainment and (hopefully) that of others. I have no money so please don't sue me.
 
This story takes place after the end of the Manga. The wedding has been tried and failed.
 
Parts of this story are LEMON (containing descriptions of sexual situations and actions, including incest). If this sort of thing offends you then stop reading
 
 
Chapter 2
Speculations
 
At that moment rain started to fall. The Amazon Elder ignored the rain, walking up to two naked people. They looked like Ranma but both were taller. While male Ranma was normally a picture of lithe strength, the man who stood beneath the roof overhang of the Nekohanten was more massively muscled, his build looking more like Ryoga's. The face looked more mature but was still obviously Ranma, while the black hair was the same length but not bound in a pigtail.
 
The female form was the same height as the male form. She still had the same wide hips and large breasts, but added to those she was now more solidly muscled than in the past. Her face was also more adult but clearly recognizable as Ranma's girl form. Her scarlet locks were down to her shoulder blades and not bound into a pigtail either. She looked like Ranma's girl form would if she had spent a lifetime sweating over weights in a gymnasium.
 
Both people appeared dazed. Cologne walked over to the pile of ash and examined it for a moment. She could see the fasteners of Ranma's silk shirt. They appeared badly burned, but were still recognizable. There was nothing else left. Carefully the Elder tore a piece from the hem of her robe and used that to pick up the Soul Jewel that had now gone dark. Perhaps she was being overly cautious, but she didn't want the Jewel to touch her skin.
 
Cologne turned to the two people standing under the roof overhang, and yelled, “Ranma!”
 
Both of the naked people shook their heads and seemed to become aware of the world. They looked at the Amazon elder. The old woman told them, “You need to come inside. Hopefully we'll find some clothes that fit you.”
 
Ranma finally turned from inward thoughts to look at the world. The first thing he saw was a person who had his face (or was that her face?) There shouldn't be someone else with the same face. Was this his other?
 
The two Ranmas looked at each other. “Wha…?” They each pointed a finger at the other.
 
Impatiently the old woman said, “Save your questions for after we get you inside. You wouldn't want to be arrested for indecent exposure.”
 
The two looked at her then nodded and followed as she led the way inside. Mousse just moved out of the way, letting the others by.
 
Almost as if on cue, when everybody was inside the door, a drenching downpour began. Nobody even looked at the form of a little black piglet lying unconscious in a pile of clothing, next to a large backpack.
 
While events had been happening out in front of the restaurant, Shampoo had arrived back from her deliveries. She had parked her bike in the usual place and had let herself in the back way. She had been just about to investigate the noise from outside when Cologne led a small procession made up of two naked Ranmas and very confused looking Mousse.
 
Shampoo walked up and looked at the man and woman and asked, “Great Grandmother, what happen here. Why are boy and girl Ranma two people and why they naked?”
 
Male Ranma demanded, “I wanna know that too.”
 
Female Ranma, glanced at her “twin” and said, “Yeah, what he said.”
 
The elder waved toward a booth and said, “Please sit down. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to you two. Shampoo, go upstairs and bring back robes for the Ranmas.”
 
As Shampoo hastened to comply, the elder looked at the two and said, “If I have to call both of you Ranma, it's going to get confusing.”
 
The female looked down at her chest. She appeared to be less than pleased to see the breasts there. Deciding to accept the evidence of her eyes she volunteered, “I guess you can call me Ranko if you want.”
 
The elder nodded. “Very well. For now we will call the Ranma who is male by his original name and the one who is female we will call Ranko. Mousse, go in the kitchen and get some hot and cold water. I want to test something.”
 
A short while later the boy returned with a tray that bore two glasses of water and a kettle of warm water along with two tea cups. He placed the tray on the table between Ranma and Ranko. Cologne said, “The cold water if you please.”
 
They exchanged a glance then each picked up a glass and threw it in their faces. Other than getting wet, nothing happened. Cologne merely nodded. She had expected this. She poured hot water from the kettle into each of the tea cups, then directed, “Please try the hot water.”
 
The twins both shrugged and did as directed. Again, nothing happened.
 
Shampoo came down the stairs with two robes draped over her arm. At the same time Mousse brought two towels from the kitchen. The male Ranma smiled in gratitude while the female version who had agreed to be called Ranko looked a bit shell shocked as they dried off. Once they were dry they got up and took the robes from Shampoo and put them on. Both felt a little better for having covered themselves.
 
Cologne began by saying, “Let's start with the obvious. You are no longer cursed.”
 
Ranko demanded, “How can you say that? I'm a girl!”
 
While Cologne would normally have used her staff to rap the skull of someone who stated something as obvious as this, she recognized that both the boy and the girl had experienced a trauma. Patiently the Elder said, “You saw it for yourself. You didn't change with either hot or cold water. Besides that I'm familiar with the ki patterns for even a locked Jusenkyo curse. Neither of you have those ki patterns. Please calm yourself and I will explain what I think happened. What I'm about to tell you I can't say with certainty and will have to do some study to confirm it.”
 
She paused a moment. “As I remember the paper you showed me it says that from death it creates new life and moves the victim's soul to a new home. When I was probing the Jewel I felt something in the ki patterns shift. I think I might have `turned it on.' The jewel still didn't do anything at first because it needed a source of energy to do its work.”
 
Ranma looked stunned. “Energy? Do you mean like the Shi Shi Hokodan, my Moku Takabisha and the lightning?”
 
“Yes, exactly,” confirmed the Elder. “For it to create new life from death I believe that the Jewel took a dead body or bodies as raw materials to build the two new bodies I see here. I can only assume that the curse that caused you to have alternate male and female forms is the only reason why there are two bodies now instead of just one. The legend said that the soul is moved to its new home but in your case I believe that it somehow made a copy of your soul. Both of you are really Ranma.”
 
Ranko shook her head. Was the old crone saying that both her and the boy were equally real? “If both of us are new constructs what happened to the real me, the original me?”
 
Choosing her words carefully, the elder explained, “Both of you are equally `real.' As far as your original body, it is destroyed, burned to ash. I found a pile of ashes and among them I found the fasteners of your shirt.”
 
Ranma protested, “Are you saying the original me is dead?”
 
Cologne explained, “You must understand that your soul was removed from your original body. It was copied to make the two of you. Your original body was an empty shell, a soulless husk. Even if it hadn't burned up, it was as good as dead anyway. I believe the term that would be used for that body would be a zombie. The real you, the essence, the personality, memories and everything else is now in both of you.”
 
She continued on, “Don't think that means that one of you is real and the other isn't. You are both equally real and both equally Ranma. Only the two of you can say with any certainty, but I think that if you discuss it between you, you will find that both of you have exactly the same memories.”
 
Ranko had an insight. She asked, “If the Jewel's purpose is to cure magical ailments, does that mean that we're cured of our other problems too?”
 
Puzzled, the elder asked, “Which of your other problems are you referring to?”
 
“The cat fist,” answered Ranko.
 
“Oh,” said Cologne. She hadn't thought of that. “That's an excellent question. Shampoo?”
 
The purple haired girl grumbled as she went to the kitchen. While she was doing that, Cologne put the “closed” sign in the window of the restaurant. She was not sure how long it would take to re-establish some level of normalcy that would allow opening for business again.
 
When Shampoo reappeared she was in cat form, shaking water out of her fur. The lavender and white cat advanced slowly into the dining room while Ranma and Ranko watched with apprehension.
 
Neither of them felt the icy grip of fear or panic. They felt nervous that the cat was in the room, but that was all. Normally at this point they would be running away, possibly smashing a hole in the wall in the process.
 
After just sitting for a while, Shampoo could see that her Airen (which one was that anyway) was still sitting and not running. She walked up to the table and stopped again. Still no panic was evident. Finally the girl turned cat jumped onto the table and moved to sit between Ranma and Ranko.
 
Ranko reached out a tentative hand and proceeded to lightly scratch Shampoo between the ears. Ranma then began to gently stroke the fur on the cat's back. The cat's eyes closed and she could be heard to purr.
 
The tiny elder perched on her staff nodded. “That seems pretty conclusive proof that you both are cured of the Nekoken.”
 
After a time of being petted, Shampoo jumped down from the table and went to the kitchen. As she was coming back she adjusted her clothing after getting back into them.
 
Cologne appeared pensive. “This brings up a new question. You may be the same souls as the person who defeated Shampoo but you don't have the same body. In essence you have died and been instantly reincarnated. Given that truth, I'm not sure we can still apply the Kisses of Marriage or Death to either of you. To yourselves you are still the same person, and you both are and are not. I'd say we'd have to count the Kisses nullified as of the moment your original body was burned up.”
 
“Great Grandmother, No!” protested Shampoo. “You can't do that. Ranma is my Airen. I must marry him.”
 
“Really?” questioned the elder. “Which one?”
 
Shampoo sputtered for a moment before saying, “Boy Ranma, of course.”
 
“Is that right?” Cologne challenged, “Are you so sure of that? This Ranko is just as much Ranma as the man. If I were in Council right now I would rule that the Kisses are binding on the body of the husband. When he dies they are no longer valid.”
 
A defiant expression on her face, Shampoo said, “Then Shampoo challenge new boy Ranma to marriage combat.”
 
The male sitting in the booth looked at his female twin then said calmly, “I refuse the challenge.”
 
“What?” Shampoo nearly screamed. “Airen can't refuse!”
 
Cologne suddenly shouted, “Shampoo, be silent!”
 
“But…”
 
The elder rapped the girl's head and asked, “Do you want to spend the night as a cat in a cage?”
 
The purple haired girl backed down and sat on a chair with a sullen expression. She rubbed her scalp where the staff had struck.
 
Ranko spoke up. “You know, I've always wondered about the legality of that Kiss of Marriage. I still say it was an accident when the head of Shampoo's bonborri broke off and hit her in the head. I wouldn't count that as me defeating her. But even that's beside the point.”
 
Ranma took it up. “She's right. There wasn't any marriage challenge and we aren't Amazons, so only the Outsider laws would apply. And if anything they should be applied against Shampoo and not me. Here in Japan you are the Outsiders. If the case were going to be taken to a Japanese court they would probably say that any Kisses only have meaning to the people doing the kissing.”
 
Cologne shook her head. “I'm not going to get into a debate about this. I agree that even if the old Kisses were valid once they are no longer. I also agree (in principle) that you are within your rights to refuse a marriage challenge. The Ranma I see before me now is not an Amazon and has never visited our village regardless of whether or not he has memories of doing so in a past life.”
 
The elder directed a glare at her great granddaughter. “I also believe that the Japanese authorities would take a dim view of foreign nationals such as ourselves attacking Japanese citizens.”
 
The twins couldn't help wondering why Cologne was concerned about that now when she never seemed to spare it a thought before. Maybe it was because now she didn't have any supposedly legal arguments about a marriage.
 
Shampoo challenged, “If what Great Grandmother say about rebirth true, then this Ranma is baby, new born less than an hour ago.”
 
Cologne snorted, “I'm not sure where you want to go with that, but I'm sure you wouldn't get very far. A newborn baby is as much a citizen as an adult is. Besides that, you would have a hard time proving this Ranma is a baby. Look at both of them. They don't just look taller and stronger; they look older as well. They look like adults, not teenagers. If you tried to claim they look that way because of magic, a Japanese lawyer would laugh in your face.”
 
“But…”
 
“No!” The elder insisted, “Perseverance and determination are admirable traits when they are not carried too far. You must also learn when to give up. This Ranma and Ranko are now beyond your reach. Because of their situation you are also free. You suffer no damage to your honor if you go back to the village because your husband died. You are still young. You can find another husband.”
 
The purple haired girl pouted as she insisted, “Not want other husband. Want Ranma.”
 
Ranko looked like she was going to say something, but Ranma held up a hand to forestall her. He know what Ranko had been about to say, but was pretty sure the Amazon girl wouldn't accept it from the mouth of the girl form.
 
Addressing himself to Cologne, he said, “Earlier today I was thinking about my fiancés. While Shampoo is beautiful and even desirable, I don't love her. I don't think I even like her. I realize that it's not her fault that she treats men like they are inferior. She was raised to believes that was true. For a long time the people of this country have believed the opposite and only recently has any progress toward equal treatment of the sexes been made.”
 
He looked at the purple haired girl. “Shampoo, for the longest time I didn't tell you how I really felt because I didn't want to hurt your feelings. Now that this has happened,” he gestured to himself and Ranko, “I afraid that I'll have to hurt you. I'm sorry but I don't want to marry you.”
 
An angry scowl marring her beauty, Shampoo demanded, “What, Ranma want to marry pervert girl Akane?”
 
Ranma shook his head. “Not if she can't get her temper under control.”
 
Cologne, Shampoo and Mousse all turned to look. “What?”
 
Ranma gestured to Ranko. “You want to take this?”
 
She nodded. “Like Ranma said, I… we were thinking about this earlier today. Akane does have her good features, but she has a violent temper, she doesn't trust me and is always calling me a pervert when I didn't do anything to deserve it. I don't like being hit with a mallet. It's true that I'm strong and can heal fast, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. I'm sure he doesn't want to become the abused spouse.”
 
Ranma nodded in agreement.
 
Now Shampoo looked confused. “If not Shampoo and not kitchen destroyer, then who? Ranma want marry spatula girl?”
 
Ranma sighed. “No, not Ukyo. She's a friend, not a romantic prospect. Even if I look 20 now, I'm still a teenager (or maybe a baby, I don't really want to think about that one). I don't think I want to marry anybody right now. I'm going to give Akane a chance to clean up her act but I'm also going to look around. Maybe I'll find someone else at school.”
 
Cologne nodded. “A surprisingly mature appraisal of your situation. And what of you Ranko? Will you seek male companionship?”
 
The redhead hesitated before answering. “I'm going to have to get used to the idea that I'm a girl full time and for the rest of my life. The idea of being with a boy… that way, is a little frightening to me. Considering that I started out male, I may turn out to be a lesbian, I don't know.”
 
“Hah!” shouted Shampoo. “There still chance for Shampoo.”
 
Ranko gave a look dripping with scorn. She and Ranma were both wondering what it would take for this girl to get a clue.
 
“Hmm, yes,” said Cologne. “I think the rain is decreasing. It might be a good idea for the Saotome siblings to return back to the Tendo Dojo. I'm going to give the Tendos a call and suggest they send someone here with some of clothing for both of you. I will get to work researching the Soul Jewel. Maybe someone should check up on the Hibiki boy.”
 
Shampoo got up and went to the front door. She looked out but didn't leave the building. The rain had decreased from a downpour to a light drizzle, but it was still enough to trigger her curse if she went out in it. She looked over to where the lost boy had fallen.
 
The Amazon girl reported, “Pig boy gone. His clothes and pack gone too.”
 
Ranko shrugged, “He couldn't have gotten far as a pig dragging that big pack. Even so, he could still have gotten lost again. He said his girlfriend kicked him out, so maybe he wants to be lost. I just don't know why he always has to take this stuff out on me.”
 
They overheard Cologne's voice saying, “Hello, Miss Tendo. This is Elder Cologne calling from the Nekohanten.” There was a pause and then she said, “Yes, Ranma is here. He got in a fight with that Hibiki boy. Then he stayed here to wait out the storm.”
 
After a moment the elder said, “Something happened to Ranma that will be difficult to explain. Because of the interaction of a magic artifact that Ranma picked up and a ki attack by Hibiki, Ranma's male and female forms have been split into two separate people.”
 
After another pause she replied, “Yes, I do realize how impossible that sounds, but it is true. There is another problem. In the fight Ranma's clothing was destroyed. It would be a big help if you could send someone over here with some of Ranma's clothing. The female form (we're calling her Ranko) is quite a bit taller than she used to be. To get something to fit her, it might be best if you were to send over one of your outfits.”
 
“Yes, that's right. She's a lot more athletically built than you, but she is about the same height. Some of your clothing should be a close enough fit.” After a pause, “Even if she doesn't like dresses, I think she can endure it for the walk back to your house.”
 
“Yes, thank you. We will be looking for her. Goodbye.” She hung up.
 
Ranko looked surprised. “I'm as tall as Kasumi now?”
 
“Stand up, child,” directed the Amazon matriarch.
 
When Ranko did so, Cologne looked her up and down. “If anything I'd say you are a centimeter or two taller. I'd have to see the two of you together to say. Her clothing won't be a perfect fit for you, but it should be good enough until you can get new clothes.”
 
She then explained, “As you have guessed, that was Kasumi I spoke to. She told me that Akane will start in this direction as soon as she can get the requested clothing. I suppose that does mean that she will have to go into your room, Ranma.”
 
Ranma and Ranko exchanged a look, then shrugged. Ranma said, “It won't be a problem. I don't have anything in there that I don't want her to see.”
 
That seemed to remind Cologne. “Speaking of things you don't want people to see.” She pulled out the Soul Jewel and looked at it. Finally she said, “It seems to be inactive now. Considering that it took the energy from two ki blasts and a lightening bolt, I doubt there is much danger in this activating again accidentally. Still, I would rather it is not here to avoid any temptation to these two. They have shown they don't have the best judgment when it comes to possible cures.”
 
Ranko took the Jewel. She said, “I'll hide it and I'm not going to tell Pop that I have it.”
 
The elder nodded. She looked at the two cursed Chinese martial artists and said, “As for you two, I remind you what it took to activate the Jewel. For just a moment I suggest you try to imagine what it would feel like if the lightning bolt struck you instead of the Jewel.”
 
Shampoo and Mousse both looked quite chastened at that reminder. They didn't think it would feel good to hit by lightning.
 
Cologne glared at them for a moment then relented. Turning back to the Saotome twins, she said, “Even if we are no longer trying to force you to join our tribe, I hope you will not think badly of us. I would like it if you were to become allies of our tribe or at least friends.”
 
Ranma and Ranko looked in each other eyes. Finally Ranma turned and said, “Well, that's one of the better offers you've made. Since Akane will be here soon, I think it might be a good idea if we take some time to think about it. The next time we see you it might be a good idea if you tell us exactly what is involved in being a friend or an ally. I suspect there's more to it than if I were to say `Hiroshi and Daisuke are friends of mine.'”
 
Cologne looked disappointed but said, “I am sorry that our actions have made you suspicious even of an offer of friendship. Still, given some of the things we've done in the past, I can understand why you would feel that way. I can agree that we will speak of this again.”
 
Ranma repeated out loud the thought he'd had about Ryoga before the ki blast. “I wish Ryoga would just talk about his problems before blaming me and attacking. I sure don't understand why he could think I was to blame for Akari kicking him out.”
 
Cologne sighed before explaining, “With most people there are two responses to that kind of situation that are most common. The rejected lover might go out and get drunk. That happens even in the Joketsuzoku village. The other common response by someone who doesn't drink it to go to the home of a friend and talk to them at great length about the problem.”
 
She paused thoughtfully. “For martial artists there is still another common reaction, the desire to hit something. I think that Hibiki has fallen into the bad habit of blaming you for his problems. Even if he said or did something that upset his girlfriend it has to be your fault because in his mind, everything is your fault. It may not be rational or fair, but it is a very human response to blame one's troubles on another.”
 
While they waited, Ranma and Ranko quizzed each other on obscure events from their past. They were trying to test if their memories were actually duplicated. Neither was able to trip up the other. It was looking like they really were the same person, at least mentally.
 
Author's Note: This story was started based on a suggestion from one of my readers. I modified the idea because some of the things suggested used crossovers with anime and games that I haven't seen.
 
After working on this for a while I hit a block and started work on another story. As things stand I now have three partially finished stories and ideas for more. I am posting the first two chapters from each of the three stories. I will let the reviews I receive help me decide which story to concentrate on finishing first.