Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Soul Divide ❯ Sleeping Arrangements ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Soul Divide
A Ranma One Half Fan Fiction
By Michael A. Ivins
 
Ranma, his family, friends, enemies and related characters are the creation of Rumiko Takahashi. I'm just borrowing them for my own entertainment and (hopefully) that of others. I have no money so please don't sue me.
 
This story takes place after the end of the Manga. The wedding has been tried and failed.
 
Parts of this story are LEMON (containing descriptions of sexual situations and actions, including incest). If this sort of thing offends you then stop reading
 
 
Chapter 3
Sleeping Arrangements
 
Ranma and Ranko continued to quiz each other on past events while they waited for Akane to bring clothes. Neither sibling was able to trip up the other. The conversation was interrupted when a knock was heard at the door. Shampoo went to open the door and Akane walked in and demanded, “What's this ridiculous story about Ranma's male and female forms being split into two people?”
 
Ranma and Ranko stood and the young man said, “It's not ridiculous, it's true.”
 
Akane looked back and forth between Ranma and Ranko. The dark haired girl protested, “You're not Ranma. You do look a little like him but you're too tall and she's way too tall.” She turned to Cologne and said, “What are you trying to pull? Who are these people, where did you find them? Why are you trying to pass them off as Ranma?”
 
Ranma just said, “Akane, come here for a moment.”
 
The girl walked up to him but with an expression that said, “You'd better not try anything perverted.”
 
The black haired young man leaned forward and whispered in Akane's ear. She listened for a moment then blushed and asked, “How did you…” Ranma whispered some more.
 
Her expression was sullen but Akane finally said, “Ok, I guess you're really Ranma.”
 
Now Ranko stepped forward and repeated her “brother's” performance. Akane blushed deeper. Finally she stepped back and asked, “How can you both be Ranma?”

“Magic,” was all Ranko said.
 
Giving his sister a reproving look, Ranma amplified, “The magic not only made another body, but all memories are copied. She remembers everything I do: every experience, every thought and every feeling. We may look different but up here,” he tapped a fingertip on the side of his head. “We are the same person.”
 
Akane considered that while she handed over to Ranma a pair of pants, a shirt, boxers and a tank top along with a pair of martial arts slippers. She looked at the dress, panties, bra and shoes in her hands and asked, “If you really are exactly the same, and both Ranma how do you feel about wearing a dress?”
 
Ranko's expression turned sour. “I'm not happy about it, but it's better than walking through the streets naked. Besides that, Cologne tells me this is permanent. I'm not going to change into a guy again, ever. We both tried splashing with hot and cold water and didn't change. I guess that means I'm going to have to do what I've dreaded for a long time and learn how to be a girl.”
 
Akane remembered how much Ranma had resisted becoming girlish. She wasn't sure if she wanted to help the pervert, but some kind of gesture seemed right. “Uh, if I can help you with that, let me know.”
 
Ranko smiled and said, “Thanks Akane, I appreciate that. You remember how my mom was when I was pretending to be your cousin?”
 
The black haired girl nodded.
 
The redhead said, “When Mom finds out that she now has a real daughter who doesn't know how to be a girl, she's likely to go overboard in trying to make me `ladylike.' I'm hoping you and Nabiki can help out. You two can show me how `real' girls are instead of the ideal that my mom is going to try and turn me into.”
 
For the first time since she had come in, Akane smiled. “I think we can help with that. I do agree that your mom is a little `over the top' when it comes to what it means to be a woman or a man. Her ideas of manliness made it sound like she wanted you to be almost like Happosai.” Silently she thought that it did sort of explain why Ranma was as much of a pervert as he was. How could he help it with a mother who seemed to actively encourage her son to act perverted?
 
Ranma chuckled at that before heading off to the men's restroom to get dressed. Ranko went to the ladies' room. When they stepped out it was clear that the clothes were not really big enough for their changed bodies. Ranma's clothes were tight through the shoulders and chest. Ranko found Kasumi's clothing was long enough for her increased height, but tight fitting. The garments were adequate, but just barely.
 
Even so, Ranma looked at the girl who was once part of him and said, “Ranko, you look nice. It would be better with clothes that fit, but you really look good. It seems strange to be looking at you like this instead of in a mirror.”
 
She nodded. “I know what you mean. I… guess since we both have the same parents that we're brother and sister. That's kind of weird because I never thought I'd have a brother or be a sister. Since you complimented me, I guess I should mention that my brother is even more of a hunk than he was before.”
 
In a sarcastic tone Akane said, “Yeah, you're both beautiful. Can we go now?”
 
Ranko turned an eye on the black haired girl and said, “Akane don't you have any poetry in your soul? To be two people who were once one person is a very profound experience. On top of that is the fact that we aren't cursed anymore. Cut us some slack.”
 
Akane shook her head, “Ok, I understand that it's a lot to deal with. Maybe you'll do better with it when you're back in your own room.”
 
As they walked toward the door Ranma asked, “You say `my own room' but I got to ask, if that's going to be our room. Do you want me to share a room with my sister?”
 
As they stepped outside the air smelled fresh and clean after the rain. Akane responded to the question, “Uh… good question. We'd better see what Kasumi has to say.”
 
Ranko put in, “I don't know how our parents will like the idea.”
 
Akane thought about it. “Well… you said you're really the same person, right? I know I'm always calling you a pervert, but not even you are that perverted. You're not going to try anything with yourself, are you?”
 
The two paused and looked in each other's eyes. Akane noticed and said, “You're doing it again.”
 
Both looked at her and said, “Huh? Doing what?”
 
“You look each other in the eye and it's like you are talking without saying anything.”
 
Ranko asked, “You mean like a politician? They're always talking without saying anything.”
 
While she could appreciate the joke, Akane made a dismissive gesture. “Ok, I made a bad choice of words. I should have said it's like you are talking without using any words. Maybe like you're reading each other's minds.”
 
Ranma looked thoughtful. “Reading minds? No, at least I don't think that's what we're doing. I think it maybe comes from having been the same person before. We both think alike and can predict what the other would be thinking. I think we can read each others expressions really good too.”
 
Akane nodded. “I guess that makes sense. Look, please don't be offended, but I find this a little creepy.”
 
Ranko laughed at that. “Just a little creepy? You should try it from our side. It's way beyond creepy. This is like some dreams I've had. I keep thinking I'm going to wake up any minute and be back to being that sex changing freak we used to be.”
 
Trying to be diplomatic, Akane said, “You weren't a freak.”
 
Ranma smiled and said, “You're trying to be nice and we appreciate it, Akane. But I have to be honest with myself, even if nobody else. We were a freak. You and the rest of your family are mostly too polite to say it out loud, but a boy with a sex-changing, magic curse is very freaky. I wish I could say we aren't freaks any more but…” He gestured to Ranko.
 
She finished for him, “We're still freaks. It's just less obvious now.”
 
Akane's expression grew stubborn. “I'm still not going to say it.”
 
Both of the twins smiled warmly. “Thanks Akane.”
 
When they got to the dojo Ranko asked, “Did Pop hear about us being split?”
 
Akane nodded. “Kasumi mentioned it.”
 
Ranma groaned. “I know what he's going to say when he sees us.”
 
“What?” asked Akane.
 
Ranko rolled her eyes and just said, “You'll see soon enough.”
 
As soon as Akane called out “Tadaima” from the genkan, Genma was there before they even had a chance to change their shoes. He grabbed the front of Ranma's shirt and demanded, “Tell me about the cure. How does it work? How soon can I use it?”
 
In a dry tone of voice Ranko said, “And hello to you too, Pops.”
 
Genma looked at the woman and for a moment it looked like his eyes were going to bulge out of his head. “You… you…”
 
Ranko finished, “Split into two people, yeah. That was the cure. And it only took one of Ryoga's Perfect ShiShi Hokodans, a Moku Takabisha and a lightning bolt to power it. Like Cologne said to Shampoo and Mousse, imagine how it would feel if the lightning bolt missed and hit you instead.”
 
“Ulp!”
 
Ranma nodded. He explained, “I went shopping at a curio shop I heard about. They were supposed to sometimes have magic items. I found something that felt like magic to my ki senses. I took it to Cologne to check if it was the real deal. I'm pretty sure we'd never be able to exactly duplicate the conditions that caused me to split. If you're willing to take the chance that you'll get your butt fried (a much better chance than a cure) then we'll try.”
 
Ranko said in a thoughtful tone, “I never did feel depressed enough to do a very strong ShiShi Hokodan. And you know how hard it is to find Ryoga when you want him. He was feeling super depressed because his girlfriend kicked him out. If they make up, then he may never create an attack that strong again. I've also heard about the odds of getting hit by lightening. Not very much of a chance.”
 
Suddenly abandoning any further attempt at humor, Ranko's eyes narrowed before she said, “I'm going to be female for the rest of my life. Me, who was born male and grew up that way. I was going to be your `man among men.' Now that I'm permanently stuck this way, I'm sure Mom will insist that I learn how to be a `proper' lady.”
 
She continued, “I know you can be a selfish SOB, but would you really want to have your mental and spiritual twin be permanently stuck as a panda? At least I'm still human. I'll have to contend to learning about gender roles and that kind of stuff but at least I'm not an animal. If you got the same `cure' you would be condemning someone who would essentially be you to a life as a man in an animal's body. Could you really be that cruel?”
[Author ID1: at Sat Jan 30 23:24:00 2010 ]
Nodoka came up behind her husband and commented, “She has a point.”
 
Genma could tell he wasn't going to win this argument. He would shut up for now until he could work up some new arguments.
 
Nodoka studied Ranko a moment before bowing her head and saying, “Hello, dear. I'm your mother.”
 
Ranko rolled her eyes and said, “Yes Mom, I know. Both of us have exactly the same memories. Until the moment we split we were exactly the same person. Even though I still think of myself as Ranma in my head, we agreed that I would answer to the name Ranko to ease the confusion.”
 
As they moved into the living room Nodoka responded, “That was very helpful of you.”
 
Her mother gave Ranko a critical look. “That dress of Kasumi's doesn't fit you very well.”
 
The redhead agreed, “I know. I guess that I'm taller now and bigger up top than Kasumi is.”
 
When the got into the living room Ranko apologized, “I'm not saying that to be offensive, Kasumi.”
 
The eldest Tendo daughter smiled and said, “I'm not offended. I can see that you're better endowed than I am. I'm guessing that is why you didn't try to wear one of Ranma's outfits.”
 
Ranko nodded. “Well, yeah. You can see how tight Ranma's shirts are because of his bigger muscles. If you added boobs to that that then my old shirts would likely be painful for me to wear.”
 
At the mention of bigger muscles, Nodoka took another look at Ranma. She said, “My son is so manly.” Because she was facing away from Ranko she didn't see her daughter mouthing the words with her.
 
Nabiki saw and unsuccessfully tried to hide a snicker. Nodoka heard and looked at the middle Tendo daughter. Ranko's mom asked, “What's so funny?”
 
Giving an evasive answer, Nabiki said, “It's just that what you said reminded me of something funny. It's sort of a private joke though.”
 
Looking a little doubtful, Nodoka turned back to her children. (How wonderful a thought that was.) “I can see that I will have to take both of you shopping. The two of you need clothing that fits better.”
 
“Yes, Mom,” they said in unison. They looked at each other and laughed.
 
Somewhat musingly Nodoka said, “Since you started out as the same person, I suppose you will be doing that a lot.”
 
She considered for a moment. Finally Nodoka said, “For a long time I was strongly focused on seeing that my son was a man among men. I had come to believe that he truly managed to do that even while he was in the body of a woman. Now that same mind and soul is in a body that will be female forever. My dear daughter, it must seem to you like I am giving you mixed messages. I know that this situation is unique.”
 
She heaved a deep sigh. “After all of that time trying so hard to be manly you must be looking with dread on the thought that you must now start acting feminine. I try to imagine myself in your position and I can't do it. All I can do is offer you whatever help you might ask in learning to cope with your current gender.”
 
The Tendo girls all made the same offer. Nabiki couldn't resist adding, “For a modest fee.” Her tone was joking but Ranko wasn't completely sure she was kidding.
 
At this point Kasumi excused herself to prepare dinner. Ranko raised a question that had been on her mind. “Where am I going to sleep tonight? I'm guessing you probably don't want me sharing a room with Ranma.”
 
Nodoka was clearly distressed at the thought. “Sharing with Ranma? If you were five years old, I could agree to it. For teenagers it would hardly be appropriate for a young woman to share a room with her brother.”
 
Ranko protested, “Oh come on, Mom. I don't think Ranma's going to try anything. After all I have all the same martial arts skills as he does.”
 
Nodoka looked at her daughter with a raised eyebrow. “I'm sure you do. What I question is whether or not you would use those skills against your brother.”
 
Ranko took that in. “Wait a minute. Are you implying that if Ranma doesn't try something with me that you think I might try to do something with him?”
 
Nodoka nodded. “I have heard of things like that happening in other families. According to what I've read it is generally considered a bad idea to let teenage siblings of the opposite sex to share a bedroom. It is best to not give them any unnecessary temptation. For some just living in the same house can be temptation enough.”
 
Ranma jumped in and asked, “Don't you trust us?”
 
The Saotome mother said, “I do trust you. It's your hormones I don't trust. Ranko will sleep in Akane's room.”
 
At this point the youngest of the Tendo sisters protested, “No way. I won't do it.”
 
Now Nodoka was puzzled. “But why not, Akane?”
 
Akane relented just a little. “Maybe it would be Ok after she's better adjusted to being a girl. Right now this is the same pervert that I have been fighting with for so long. I wouldn't want to share a bedroom with this girl any more than I'd want to share a bedroom with Ranma before we're married.”
 
Ranma got a very sad expression on his face. He thought, “I'm not sure I'd want share a bedroom with you even if we do get married. The more I hear things like this from you, the less I like the idea of marrying you, Akane.” He said nothing out loud.
 
Nodoka also looked sad. The chances of a successful marriage between Ranma and Akane weren't looking too promising. She turned but before she could even ask, Nabiki said, “Not my room either. Nothing personal against you, Ranko, but I've got stuff in my room I don't want anyone messing with. I'm not sharing my room with anyone with the exception of someone I'm either married to or otherwise having sex with. I will still help Ranko learn to be a girl.”
 
Kasumi stepped in from the kitchen. “She can stay in my room from tomorrow night on, but I have to do some work in there before it's ready. It can't be tonight.”
 
At this point Ranko said, “Well, if anyone was going to suggest I sleep in the old freak's room, you can forget it. I don't care if he is out of town, I won't sleep in that room. What if he comes back while I'm in there? I don't want to have to fight to defend my virtue.”
 
Nodoka shook her head. “No dear, I don't suppose any woman would sleep well in that room. Even one who just became a woman full time today.”
 
In tones of rejection and hurt, Ranko said, “Then I guess I'm sleeping in the dojo tonight.” She got up and took a couple steps toward the stairs. “Since Pop's sleeping with Mom now, there's a spare futon in my… I mean Ranma's room. I'll go get it.”
 
Hearing the tones of sadness and rejection in her daughter's voice, Nodoka thought, “The poor dear must feel like she being kicked out of her home. I can't let that happen.”
 
In defeat, Nodoka let out a long sigh. She called out, “Ranko, wait! Since it is only one day until Kasumi can get her room ready, you can sleep in Ranma's room tonight only. I wouldn't want you to sleep in that cold dojo without easy access to a toilet. You both will behave yourselves while you are in there, won't you?”
 
Ranko protested, “Up until a couple hours ago I was a guy who sometimes turned into a girl. I was uncomfortable with the very idea of having sex with in guy while I was in my girl form. I don't know if I'll ever want to do that, or have babies.”
 
“Very well,” conceded Nodoka. “I'll agree to it for tonight.” Privately she thought, “I do hope you will change your mind on that in the future. While I expect Ranma and Akane will give me grandchildren, I'd like to see you fall in love with a nice man and become a mother yourself.”
 
Genma directed a glare at Ranma that carried the message, “If you try anything with your sister, there will be pain.”
 
Ranma and Ranko exchanged another one of their looks. In their minds was the thought, “Yes! If the rest of the family will stop butting in, maybe we can live out that fantasy we've been dreaming of for the last month.” They were encouraged by the fact that Nodoka didn't seem to notice that neither of them had actually answered her question about behaving.
 
When they all sat down to dinner everyone wanted to know more about the actual experience. Ranma and Ranko wanted to avoid saying that Ranma's original body was destroyed so they went with a compromise. They told of the experience as they remembered it. To them they remembered holding the jewel then trying to throw it away as the lightning bolt hit. Then Ranma had blacked out and the next thing they remembered was Cologne shouting to get their attention. What happened in between was just a sort of dream sequence.
 
Sympathetically Kasumi commented, “It must have been embarrassing to find yourself out on a public street, naked.”
 
Ranko shook her head. “I think I must have been dazed from the copying process. I don't remember feeling embarrassed. It wasn't until after we'd gone inside and Cologne told Shampoo to get robes that I started to feel self conscious.”
 
Ranma agreed, “Yeah, I was the same way. I knew I was naked, but for some reason it just didn't seem important to me. Maybe I was more involved with getting adjusted to the changes in my body.”
 
Now curious herself, Nabiki asked, “Did it hurt?”
 
The twins shared a glance and finally Ranma replied, “Yeah, it hurt a lot. It was like every nerve in my body was on fire but I was too paralyzed to scream. I've always had a high tolerance for pain, but this was beyond anything I ever felt or even imagined before.”
 
Ranko looked thoughtful. Finally she said, “You know how if you go to the hospital and they ask you to rate the pain you are feeling on a scale of one to ten with ten being the worst you can imagine?”
 
There were nods around the table. She continued, “On that scale I'd have to say the pain I (or we) felt was maybe 15. By that I mean worse than anything I could have imagined before. I'd say as bad or worse than being burned to death.”
 
At the slightly queasy expressions on the other's faces, Ranko apologized, “I'm sorry. I guess that's not really appropriate conversation for the dinner table.”
 
Ranma took over, “Just take it as a given that it hurt a lot. There was also a strange sensation that must have been the copying. For a moment it was like there was an echoing inside my head. It felt like every one of my thoughts was repeated. Then it was like that image of my mind withdrew. I'd guess that was when her soul went into her body.”
 
Akane asked, “Does that mean you're the original?”
 
Ranko interjected, “I don't know about that. What Ranma describes exactly matches what I felt. To me it felt like his soul was the one withdrawing from me. The strange thing is that it doesn't really feel like he withdrew completely.”
 
Ranma sat up a little straighter at that. “I know, it's like there is this little sense of your presence. I have the idea that if we are ever apart we would always be able to find each other. It's not enough of a connection that we can read each others minds, but I think I can sense her emotions.”
 
The redhead nodded. “Yeah, me too. That tiny sensation of your presence is a great comfort. Sort of like an assurance that no matter what happens, I'll never be alone.”
 
Ranma's expression was deeply thoughtful. He said, “You know people sometimes say that a couple that immediately love each other and get along perfectly are soul mates. The two of us were the same soul, what does that make us now?”
 
The rest of the family was starting to feel embarrassed at the turn the conversation was taking. After a few moments of silent contemplation, Ranma spoke up, “I don't know what else it might mean, sis, but this much I'm sure of. If you're ever in any kind of trouble, I've got your back.” He held up a hand.
 
Ranko gripped the hand in her own. It was not the gentle touch of lovers, but a strong grip. The overtones of strong emotions were evident as Ranko said, “Back at ya, bro.” None of the rest of the family could tell if the emotions they heard were merely comradeship or something deeper.
 
Being a practical woman Kasumi brought up a point that might be a problem. “What are we going to do about school? We in this family have experienced enough of magic, curses and the like that we can accept this, but how likely is it the Ministry of Education will accept that Ranma is now two people.”
 
Ranko challenged, “Do we have to tell them?”
 
Nodoka responded, “What to you mean dear?”
 
The redhead explained, “We do have to tell them something, I know that.
But couldn't we make up some story they would accept. Sure, they aren't going to believe that magic made one person into two. I was thinking something along the lines that when we were born we were twins but you and Pop were too poor to care for two children. You could say that I was put into foster care or that I was adopted. Now that I'm older, I left my foster parents and looked you and Pop up and have come to live with you and my brother.”
 
While Nodoka looked doubtful, Nabiki spoke up, “I know people who could create a totally fake but completely believable paper trail for you that would say exactly that. It would likely be expensive, but our finances are not in such bad shape at the moment.”
 
Somewhat hesitantly Ranko offered, “Uh… if it would help the family finances, I'd be willing to do some modeling for you, Nabiki. Nothing pornographic, mind you.”
 
Nabiki looked quizzically at the now-taller girl. “That's actually a generous offer. Because of the changes in you, not the least of which being that you're taller than Kasumi, I'm not sure Kuno would accept you as his `pigtailed goddess' anymore.”
 
Ranko shrugged. “Even if he doesn't, he can't be your only customer.”
 
The mercenary girl conceded, “Well, that's certainly true. But he is my biggest customer. I think I could present it to him that we just found about Ranma having a sister and that she's really hot looking. If I present it to him the right way he should be curious enough to want to look at pictures of you. I think once he sees the pictures, he'll be hooked.”
 
Nabiki turned to the Saotome Matriarch. “When you take the twins out shopping could you make a point to pick up Ranko some sexy lingerie and skimpy bikinis? On anticipation of future income from picture sales, I'll pay for them.”
 
The Saotome matriarch looked extremely doubtful. “I don't know about this.”
 
Ranko assured her, “It'll be Ok, Mom. I'm doing it willingly. Just so long as you don't take any of those nude or topless pictures when I'm asleep like you used to do.”
 
Nabiki was shocked. “You knew about that?”
 
Nodoka face showed anger like storm clouds gathering. “You sold nude and topless pictures of my son's female form? You took pictures of her like that when she was sleeping?”
 
In her own defense Nabiki explained, “Sales of those pictures helped to keep a roof over our heads. Without them, we might have been thrown into the street.”
 
“That doesn't matter. You took advantage of Ranma when he was unable to stop you. How is that better than a man forcing himself on a helpless girl and taking indecent liberties with her?”
 
Nabiki had been ready to make other arguments but that last question stopped her. Looking ashamed, she turned her gaze to the floor. “I never thought about it like that. I… I'm sorry Ranma.”
 
Ranko said, “Since I'm the girl now you should be apologizing to me. Still, I'll forgive you, but only if you promise to never take a picture of me again without my permission.”
 
Looking chastened, Nabiki said in a tiny voice, “I promise.”
 
“Good,” said Ranko.
 
Nabiki perked up a little and said, “I think I know how to pose you so it will be tasteful. Depending on how you pose it can be teasing and sexy without being overtly sexual. How does that sound?”
 
Ranko nodded. “I think I can live with that.”
 
Ranma interjected at that point, “From what I've seen of your pictures, you seem to be a pretty good photographer. Have you ever considered doing something professional, like a magazine layout or a calendar?”
 
Nabiki's eyes went wide. “You really think I might be good enough for that?”
 
The young man shrugged. “You never know until you try. Why don't you work up a portfolio and show it to some magazines?”
 
The mercenary girl turned an appraising gaze on Ranma. “You know, Ranma,” she said. “There are girls at Furinkan who are into beefcake. Your new physique is pretty hunky. Would you consider putting on some swim trunks and modeling for me too?”
 
He exchanged a look with his sister. “If Ranko is willing to pose, I guess I'm willing too.”
 
Nabiki got a predatory smile on her face. “You know the two of you would make a really cute couple. Maybe we could get some pictures of the two of you together. Nothing porno, of course, strictly tasteful.”
 
Ranma and Ranko looked a little doubtful about that. Ranko said, “Well, maybe. I'd have to insist on the right to veto any poses we felt were too risqué.”
 
The middle Tendo daughter nodded. “I can agree to that. Auntie, you should add some swimwear for Ranma to the list, too. Maybe some bikini style trunks that really show off that hard, muscular bod. I'll pay you back for it.”
 
Nodoka didn't like where the conversation was going and changed the subject, while agreeing to look for the requested garments. She said, “On the subject of shopping, I think we could call the school tomorrow and tell them you are sick. Neither of you have any clothing that fits you right. While either Kasumi or I might be able to alter some of her clothes to fit Ranko that would take some time. Neither Genma or Soun have clothes that would be good for Ranma to attend school in.”
 
Kasumi nodded. “That makes sense.”
 
Nodoka continued, “Because we have limited funds, I was thinking we would have to be conservative. Both of you need school uniforms. I know you were not attending school in uniform because you might have been embarrassed if you changed from female to male while in a dress. Since that is no longer a factor, you no longer have an excuse to not dress properly. We will get each of you school uniforms along with shoes and appropriate undergarments. We'll get the requested swimwear for both of you and an assortment of lingerie for Ranko.”

“I was thinking that to get more value for our limited money, we could do something of a mix and match assortment. For Ranko some basic skirts that will go with an assortment of blouses and shoes. That way you can make several outfits out of a few basic pieces. I was thinking that for Ranma we could do something similar with a few pairs of trousers and an assortment of shirts, out of which everything goes reasonably well with everything else.”
 
Ranko spoke up, “Uh, Mom? Would it be Ok to get one or two pairs of slacks? Since I used to be a guy, I'm probably going to be something of a tomboy now anyway. I was sort of hoping that for casual and around-the-house clothing I could wear pants or I might be willing to go with shorts.”
 
Nodoka nodded. “That seems fair. Just remember we are limited in how much we can spend.”
 
Looking thoughtful she glanced over at Nabiki. “Hmm. Nabiki, if you are going to be selling pictures of my children, I think it would be only fair that they receive a share of whatever profits you make. That would give them money to spend for more clothing as well as other things.”
 
Nabiki didn't look happy, but she couldn't really refuse. As their mother, Nodoka would be within her rights to refuse to allow her children to pose. She'd give them a percentage.
 
Ranko now spoke to her mother. “I know it would be useless for me to talk to Pops about this, so I will ask you. Could you please keep him from setting me up for any arranged marriages. I'm still not sure how I feel about having sex with guys. I don't want to be stuck in an engagement against my will.”
 
Genma protested, “But daughter, arranged marriages have a long and honored history. Family honor demands…”
 
Ranko interrupted, “Oh, Please. Until earlier today I didn't even exist as a separate person. You can't have any honor agreements with anyone over this yet and I refuse to take part in anything you might think to cook up.”
 
A look of horror came to her face. “You didn't promise me in marriage to some guy while I was still Ranma's `girl side,' did you?”
 
He admitted, “Well… no, we were too busy trying to get away from that Amazon girl for me to make any arrangements while we were in China. When we got back to Japan I was concentrating on the agreement with the Tendos.”
 
His expression grew somewhat sheepish. “I had thought about approaching the Kuno family, but wasn't too sure it was smart, given their reputation for insanity. Still, they are very wealthy.”
 
Ranko turned angrily to her mother and said, “There, you see. Your husband is an idiot. I'm not marrying Kuno Tatewaki! I don't care how rich he is. Besides being crazy, he's an obnoxious jerk that I don't want to have anything to do with. If that idiot tries anything beyond the usual harassment, I'll castrate him.”
 
Genma winced at that. Finally he said, “Yes daughter, perhaps you're right. You should be free to seek your own mate.”
 
The panda man didn't sound sincere, but Ranko decided it would do for now. She did say to her mother, “Please promise me you'll keep an eye on him so he doesn't do something stupid.”

Nodoka was enough of a romantic that she did favor letting her daughter marry for love. “I promise, dear.”
 
Ranma put in, “I'll be watching you too, Pops. You put me under so many honor debts and marriage contracts there is no way that all of them can be satisfied without hurting one or more of the women involved. I'm not going to let you put Ranko in that kind of position. Any man who ends up with her will have to get past me and only if Ranko herself tells me she wants him to. Is that clear?”
 
Genma replied, “It's clear.” Ranma and Ranko both studied his face. It was quite clear that Genma wasn't sincere now. He was not willing to let Ranma dictate to him how he should handle his daughter's marriage prospects. It seemed likely that he was thinking of some “lesson” that he would try to teach Ranma. Very well, in the morning they would be ready.
 
Author's Note: This is sort of a filler chapter. It sets things up for next chapter where we start to see the twins live out their fantasy.