Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Soul Divide ❯ Sparring with Genma ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Soul Divide
A Ranma One Half Fan Fiction
By Michael A. Ivins
 
Summary: Ranma's boy and girl sides get separated. That's a cure so it should be happily ever after, right? Maybe not.
 
Ranma, his family, friends, enemies and related characters are the creation of Rumiko Takahashi. I'm just borrowing them for my own entertainment and (hopefully) that of others. I have no money so please don't sue me.
 
This story takes place after the end of the Manga. The wedding has been tried and failed.
 
Parts of this story are LEMON (containing descriptions of sexual situations and actions, including incest). If this sort of thing offends you then stop reading
 
Chapter 7
Sparring with Genma
 
It was not much longer after that when Akane and Nabiki arrived home from school. Akane was angry, but that wasn't so strange. What was unusual was that Ranma wasn't with her and neither of the twins were the target of her ire.
 
Ranma and Ranko were coming down the stairs and noticed the anger on Akane's face. The twins exchanged a look and decided that it was better not to ask. If they did Akane would likely refocus her anger on them. Better to let well enough alone. The settled for saying “Hi, Akane.”
 
Apparently that was enough to set the youngest Tendo off. “Agh! That Kuno. He was such a pest today!”
 
Both twins put expressions of sympathy on her face. Inwardly they were saying, “Kuno was being a pest? So it was business as usual.”
 
Ranma said, “Sorry to hear it. I don't mean to be rude but I need to talk to Nabiki. We have to talk business.”
 
Akane calmed down a bit. She knew one never got in the way of Nabiki's “business.” Doing so could be very costly.
 
Akane went upstairs to change out of her uniform while Nabiki walked up and asked, “What is it, Saotome?”
 
Ranko asked, “How far have you gotten in setting me up with an identity?”
 
The mercenary girl confessed, “I didn't get a chance to do anything today. The problem that has Akane so angry needed some damage control. I was so busy with that, I didn't have time to work on your ID's.”
 
Ranma asked, “Was Kuno being dumber than usual?”
 
Nabiki rolled her eyes. “You could say that. Let's just leave it at that, Ok?”
 
Ranko shrugged. If she didn't want to talk about it, so be it. “I was wondering, during the time I was hiding out from mom under the name of Tendo Ranko did you do anything toward setting up an identity for me in that name?”
 
The brunette frowned. “Yeah, I did. In fact I had a complete workup ready to go right when your mom learned about you. I was sort of mad that I never got to use that stuff. Why?”
 
Oh, good. If Nabiki had already done the work, she would be more likely willing to agree. Rankok asked, “I was wondering if you still had that stuff.”
 
“Yeah. Again, why?”
 
The redhead answered, “I have reasons but they're kind of personal. I'd rather not talk about them right now. Could you do whatever you need to make that ID `official?'”
 
Still frowning the mercenary girl said, “I could take care of that with a single phone call. I get the feeling you two are up to something.”
 
Both twins got expressions of annoyance. Ranma said, “Why would you think that? Everybody knows you are one of the smartest people in Furinkan and I'm just a dumb jock. How could I have ever have a chance at fooling you?”
 
Ranko added, “I'm that same dumb jock in a girl's body. Could you just let it go for now that I have a good reason? I promise that I will tell you why I want it that way later.”
 
Nabiki got a stern expression on her face. “You should know that you can't change identities like you change clothes. Once we have the Tendo Ranko identity established it would be a major pain in the butt to change it to Saotome Ranko later.”
 
Ranko nodded and said, “I'm willing to live with that. I need some kind of identity if I'm going to register at Furinkan tomorrow. Otherwise I'd have to wait.” In her own mind she was saying, "Once the Tendo Ranko identity is established, it would only take a marriage license to get that changed to Saotome Ranko."
 
Now puzzled, Nabiki asked, “Are you looking forward to registering?”
 
In a carefully casual tone Ranko said, “It beats hanging out here with your father and mine, waiting for Ranma to come home. If I'm here Pops might feel tempted to arrange a marriage for me. If I'm out of sight by being at school I've got a better chance of avoiding that.”
 
Nabiki conceded, “You do have a point. Ok, I'll get your identity registered. Keep in mind that if you change your mind and want to be registered as a Saotome later, it will take a lot more time and be a lot more expensive.”
 
Ranko nodded. “We can deal with that if and when we need it.”
 
The mercenary girl frowned again. “Did Auntie Saotome know you were going to ask for this?”
 
“Yes, I knew,” Nodoka said from behind Nabiki. The brunette flinched but kept her façade of control.
 
“You don't mind?” Asked Nabiki.
 
Nodoka told her, “While I would prefer Ranko to be registered as my daughter, I recognize the need for this to be handled quickly. Even if I must act the part of `Auntie Saotome' in public, it is a role that I am familiar with. Both Ranko and I know the real truth and I can still be `Mom' in private.”
 
Nabiki couldn't shake the feeling that someone was trying to pull some kind of scam on her, but she couldn't figure out what it was. Other than speed, she didn't see any advantage to using the Tendo identity. Still she didn't see any real problem with it either. She had already done the work so this was easier than creating a completely new identity. She said, “I'll make the call.” She headed off to her room where she could conduct her business in private.
 
At dinner that evening Nabiki stood up and declared, “I need to make an announcement. As we know from yesterday, Ranma's male and female sides have been split into two separate people. Neither of them change anymore, they are permanently the sex you see them as now.”
 
She continued, “You should also remember when Auntie Saotome first started visiting us, trying to meet up with her husband and son. During those visits Ranma and Genma continued to stay here at the house but as my cousin Tendo Ranko and her pet, Mr. Panda. Because of the stupid seppuku contract,” Nabiki directed a glare at Genma, “Ranma and his father were afraid that if Auntie learned of the curse she would hold them to contract and make them kill themselves.”
 
“You may not know that while Ranma was hiding from his mother I went ahead and did the work to create a false but `official' identity for Tendo Ranko. This included an identity card, birth certificate, school transcripts, immunization records and that sort of thing. Before I could have this information registered on official computers and papers put in the appropriate places, Auntie learned the truth and proved that she was a real classy lady by accepting Ranma as her child, curse and all. She proved that she is a class act again by accepting Ranko as her daughter after she became a separate person.”
 
“I was asked if I could create an identity for Ranko as a twin of Ranma who was put in foster care when she was a baby and has now had found her real family and has come to live with them. I was ready to do that but because of events at school today, couldn't get started. I should mention that creating a false identity with all of the supporting documents and computer hacking can take as much as two weeks.”
 
“Ranko and Auntie Nodoka have decided that it would be better to move quickly. To that end they have requested that I use the papers I had ready for Tendo Ranko and get that identity registered. Since all the work had been done previously, all I needed to do was to make a phone call to a contact and request the computer work be done and the papers put into the correct files in the correct offices. I have made that call and the work is being done right now as I speak.”
 
She paused to let that sink in. “By the time Ranko goes to the administration office at Furinkan to resister tomorrow, there will be records on file to back up everything she will put on the registration forms. She will be as much `officially' Tendo Ranko as it is possible to be with a false identity. This is made much easier because we are creating a new identity instead of trying to replace or modify an existing one. I hope you realize that Auntie is making a sacrifice. She always wanted a daughter in addition to her son. Now that she has one, in public she will have to call Ranko her niece. If Ranko ever does slip in public and call auntie `mom' she will have to say that it's her nickname because of how close they are.”
 
Genma protested, “Why aren't you saying this is a sacrifice for me?”
 
Nabiki turned a cold gaze on the martial artist. “I never once heard you say you wished you had a daughter. You have always been harping on the subject of how Ranma must be a man. Since Ranma and Ranko split have you even once hugged Ranko? Have you touched her hand or even looked her in the eye. You have barely acknowledged her existence.”
 
Nabiki took a deep breath. “When Ranko was still just Ranma's girl side you tried to act like she was still a boy even when she was a girl. If Ranma did something that displeased you, you called him a weak, silly girl. At least my daddy is used to the idea of having daughters. He'll likely treat Ranko better than you ever treated Ranma when he was in his girl form.”
 
Soun butted in, “See here, daughter. You can't be rude to our guest like that.”
 
“'Guest' daddy? Somebody who stays a few days or weeks can be called a guest. When they stay for more than a year they are closer to being members of the family. Ranma's like my annoying little brother, and Auntie is just that. Uncle Saotome is like a relative who freeloads off his family and annoys almost everyone. Daddy, other than shared hardships you suffered in training under the old freak, I can't really understand why you even want him as a friend. I guess there's no accounting for taste.”
 
“Now Ranko is joining the family as a cousin. Even if Ranma is an annoying brother type, and I do take advantage of him, he's still a decent guy. He's brave, honorable and loyal to his friends. Since Ranko is the same person as Ranma on the inside, she's sure to be the same way. I'm glad to have her as my cousin. Maybe if daddy could be persuaded to adopt her, she could even be my sister for real. She still needs to learn about being a girl but we'll all help her.”
 
Soun looked shocked. “Adopt her? Why would I do that?”
 
Nabiki directed a glare at her father. “Because deep down inside you're still a good man in spite of what the old pervert has taught you. Ranko needs a family. Auntie and Ranma are a good start, but she needs sisters, girls who can help her learn how to behave like a girl.”
 
Soun looked like he was going to be stubborn but when every female in the room glared at him he relented enough to say, “I'll think about it.”
 
Nabiki leaned over and whispered in Ranko's ear, “Don't worry kiddo, we'll keep working on him.”
 
Ranma and Ranko exchanged a look. This was going better than they had hoped. If Soun adopted Ranko, Ranma could marry her. The really cool thing was that Nabiki had come up with it on her own. Neither Ranma nor Ranko had had to suggest it. They both decided they had misjudged Nabiki. She might be a mercenary who took a bit too much pleasure from gambling and blackmail, but she still had her good features. Ranma and Ranko both resolved to be nicer to Nabiki in the future.
 
Akane felt torn. On the one hand she really did want to help Ranko learn to be a girl. On the other hand this was still Ranma inside, just as perverted as the male form. Just being stuck as a girl wasn't likely to change that. Still, if she could learn to act like a real girl, it might be nice to have a sister her own age. It was likely going to take a while. She would have to try and hold off on using the mallet. As close as the twins seemed to be, Ranko would likely not respond well to seeing her brother being flattened.
 
After dinner Akane stood up and said, “Ranma?”
 
“Yes, Akane?”
 
The youngest Tendo said, “I picked up the homework for today if you want.”
 
Ranma nodded, “Right, I'm not doing so good that I can really afford to miss any assignments. Hmm, we're not going to be able to tell the teachers that Ranko knows exactly what I do. They'll likely have her do make up work to get up to where the rest of the class is. Maybe we can work on that together to bring me up to speed on the parts that I slept through before.”
 
Akane looked skeptical. “Won't you just fall asleep again?”
 
Ranma shook his head. “When Cologne was telling us about how the split worked and what she believes really happened she told me about some things she noticed when reading my ki before.”
 
Now curious, Akane asked, “Like what?”
 
He continued, “She thought that I might have had a medical problem that made me fall asleep so much and made it so hard for people to wake me up. When the magic split Ranko and me into two people it also healed us of other problems. For one, I'm cured of the cat-fist. For another I sleep more like a normal person. Ranko and I woke up before Pops could sneak up on us.”
 
Ranko chuckled. “That means no more getting tossed out the window. If someone tried to dump a bucket of water onto one of us, we'd probably wake up before you could do it. Of course if you snuck in real quiet and ninja stealth-like you could probably still do it, but I don't advise it. As you can see from the muscles, both of us are stronger now. We'll have to do some sparring to test, but I'll bet we're faster too.”
 
“Cologne already told us that both of us have higher ki reserves than before. If we ever get in a fight where either of us has to throw ki attacks we can do a lot more damage than before.”
 
Genma said, “If you are a light sleeper now, I suppose I don't need to wake you up like I have in the past. I'm still not going to let you get sloppy. You need to train, boy. We must spar. If we have to do that in a more traditional way by bowing to each other first, then I'm willing.”
 
Ranma appeared to give that pronouncement careful thought. Finally he said, “I'll agree to that but only if you spar with Ranko too. It doesn't have to be at the same time.”

The bald martial artist protested, “I'm not sparring with a girl.”
 
Ranma snorted, “You didn't seem to have a problem sparring with me when it was in my girl form. You seem forget that Ranko knows all the same techniques I do and if she still has the same edge as when we were one person, she's faster than me. Mr. Tendo used to spar with Akane. Ranko herself will tell you that she isn't a delicate flower to be protected. She's good enough to protect herself if needed.”
 
Ranko now spoke for herself. “I'm sure you're telling yourself that the only reason we beat you this morning was because we double-teamed you. We were doing that to prove a point, but I guess the point still needs to be proven. I make you this challenge: Spar with me tomorrow morning before school. If I can't stay even with you or beat you then I'll shut up and just train with Ranma and Akane, I won't bother you again on this subject. On the other hand if I do beat you or stay even with you long enough you have to promise that you will continue to spar with me on a regular or at least semi regular basis.”
 
Genma thought about that. “You aren't saying that you'll give up the Art if you lose?”
 
She shook her head. “I like martial arts too much to give up on it. Remember the same mind is in my head as is in Ranma's (at least up until the moment we split.) Even though I (or Ranma) have been able to beat you pretty much all the time, you keep saying you have techniques you haven't taught me (or him.) I'd like this to be put up or shut up time. To make the challenge more interesting, if I beat you, you must agree to teach both us all of the techniques you know.”
 
“Hmm,” was all Genma said.
 
Ranma said, “If you don't agree to this and swear to honor the agreement, then we're going to have to assume you lied about those techniques you've been told us of.”
 
Genma raised an eyebrow. “Very well, girl. I agree to the challenge. If I win you will stop pestering me to train you.”
 
Pestering? I've only mentioned it for the first time today,” Ranko thought. “That's hardly pestering. If he tries to back out of this, I'll show him what pestering really is.”
 
Ranma interjected, “I think it might be a good idea to place a condition on that. It should be skill, strength and speed against skill, strength and speed. No ki attacks. That will keep it fair. Under that rule if you use a ki attack you might win the fight, but you'd lose the challenge. You could still use ki to enhance speed and strength.”
 
Ranko readily agreed. Genma wasn't anywhere nearly as enthusiastic. He had been hoping to use his secret techniques to knock the girl out quickly. If he had to fight without ki attacks he might have to actually hurt her and he disliked hurting women. Still, he recognized that sometimes it was necessary. With ill grace Genma finally agreed to the condition.
 
At that moment the doorbell rang. When Kasumi went to answer it, Ninomiya Hinako came in. She had missed dinner but she didn't seem to mind. She went to Soun and sat in his lap. While the rest of the family left the table they two of them sat there, conversing in low tones.
 
Ranko went over to Kasumi in the kitchen and asked, “What's up with them?”
 
The eldest Tendo daughter looked at the couple. She turned back and said, “She's actually been seeing him for a while. He's taken her out a few times or they just met somewhere. It seems their relationship has moved into a new phase, though. She never used to come to the house before, at least not to spend any time here. Before she might come here and then they would leave together.”
 
Ranko looked at the couple again. Soun hugged the little girl form of the teacher and kissed her on top of the head. Ranko said softly to Kasumi, “They seem very… affectionate.”
 
Kasumi nodded. “Yes, that's new too. I don't think they are so open about it anywhere else but in the house here. Maybe they feel there is enough other strangeness that no one will notice them here.”
 
The long-haired brunette said with a sigh. “She seems to be good for father. He is taking more of an interest in things since Ninomiya-san came into his life. He's even talked about starting up classes in the dojo again. She seems to be bringing him out of the shell he put around himself when Mother died.”
 
The older girl's expression was troubled. “I feel sure she's good for him and I know she's older than she looks. I just hope we never have a visitor who doesn't know of her see them like that. What they are doing looks a little too much like an adult man taking indecent liberties with a little girl. I'm worried someone could see them and get father arrested as a child molester.”
 
Ranko looked at them again and said, “I'm sure they are aware of the risks. That's probably why they are doing this sort of thing only in the house.” Thinking of her own relationship with Ranma, she sighed and said, “I really hope it works out for them.”
 
Ranma and Ranko retired to Ranma's room to do their homework. Maybe it was the healing that had been done on them but they now felt interested in the school work.
 
Later Ranma changed into boxers and tank top. The ones he had now were new ones that fit his new body. He reclined on his futon and Ranko went off to Kasumi's room. She also got into her bed clothes. What she had chosen to sleep in was pajama shorts and a loose, comfortable halter. The outfit left her midriff and legs bare and she found she liked the way it looked on her female body.
 
When Kasumi's breathing steadied, Ranko got up and quietly exited the room. As she stepped into the hall she looked around. There was still a light under the door of Ranma's room, but no such light under either Akane or Nabiki's door. She reached out with her ki senses and probed lightly. She could sense no activity in either of the sister's rooms. She walked over and was just putting her hand on the door when Nodoka came down the hall. In a fierce whisper Ranko said, “Mom! What are you doing here?”
 
Deciding not to hide anything from her daughter who would be pretending to be her niece, she said, “You are not the only person who has a lover.” She nodded toward Kasumi's door.
 
Ranko looked at the door indicated. She thought about it and how she could respond. Finally she chose to say, “Way to go, mom!”
 
Nodoka smiled but glanced back toward the room she shared with Genma. Finally she commented, “I think your father is going to be a little out of it for a while. After I left the room I thought I heard someone enter behind me. I put my ear to the door and the words, `Happo 50 Yen Satsu.” A moment later that teacher woman came out of the room in her adult form. She was wearing a robe that barely covered her. I'm sure it would have been quite modest on her child form. She saw me and just nodded and I lost sight of her when she went in the door of Soun's room.”
 
Ranko just shook her head. “Just when I think things can't get any weirder around this house something comes along to prove me wrong.” She opened the door and went into Ranma's room. Nodoka nodded and went to Kasumi's room.
 
The next morning things went off without a hitch. Nodoka was back in her own room in plenty of time, Kasumi got up to make breakfast but stopped in the hall long enough to rap gently on Ranma's door. Short moments later, Ranko left the room, straightening her clothes. She looked around then went into Kasumi's room to get her clean clothes before heading down to the bath.
 
At the door of the bath Ranko ran into Nodoka who was just going in. In a way she hoped sounded gracious, she offered, “You go ahead mom.”
 
“Nonsense, dear,” admonished Nodoka. “Part of getting used to being a girl is getting comfortable around other women. You do realize you'll be in the girls' gym class and showering with other girls. You need to get used to bathing with other women.”
 
Ranko went slightly pale at mention of showering with girls. The last time she'd been in the girl's locker room she'd been a guy and got pounded for it. As she went through the door with her mother she recalled that technically it wasn't really her because it was her old, male body that had been pounded. Even so, she could still remember the pain even if it was a different body.
 
After they finished washing with cold water Nodoka advised, “When you are dressing or showering with the other girls try not to stare at any of them. Basically pay them no more attention that you did to the other boys when you were a boy in their locker room. The only time you should really look at any of the girls is if they talk to you and then you should do no more than glance at their bodies and concentrate on their faces.”
 
She continued, “The exception to this is if a girl asks you to look at her. She may have lost weight or done something to make herself look better. Then she usually wants the girls to look at her body and tell her how good she looks.”
 
Suddenly Ranko remembered something. “Oh crap… I mean Oh my. I'm supposed to spar with pops this morning.” She got up out of the tub and grabbed a towel. “I should have waited until after that to bathe. Now I'll have to wash off again later.”
 
Nodoka smiled and said, “At least we had a chance to give you some basic girl training.”
 
Ranko paused. “Girl training? I like that.” She pulled on her clothing then ran to Kasumi's room where she changed into her gi. She had chosen one that was a pale green. She was also careful to put on a sports bra underneath. When they were shopping she had been warned of the dangers of bouncing too much when physically active.
 
She went to the dojo and started doing katas to warm up. Ranma was there and looked like he was just starting as well. Akane was probably out on her morning run.
 
A short while later Genma came in and began doing his own katas. He looked at the girl as she exercised. Even though he had heard the explanation of how she had come to exist he wasn't sure he believed it. She did look like a taller, more muscular version of the boy's girl form, but that was hardly proof. The katas she was doing were the same ones the boy was doing.
 
He had known the boy was cured because he had splashed himself with cold water just to demonstrate that he was cured. Although he felt a deep sense of resentment he hid it as best he could. The boy was cured of his curse and Genma wasn't. The unspoken understanding he had with the boy was simple, if either found a cure they would use it on the other as well as himself. That understanding had been violated.
 
He resented the girl as the living embodiment of his son's cure. It was like the cure that was denied to him was being rubbed in his face. And now this girl was trying to pass herself off as a martial artist as good as his son, as good or better than Genma himself. How dare she? He wasn't going to seriously injure her, but he was going to humiliate her.
 
After they finished their warm-ups the two faced off in the center of the room. Genma didn't wait for a formal opening. He moved in quickly and feinted with a punch, then followed with a kick that missed. Moving quickly, he managed to get in a chop to her side.
 
Immediately he stepped back and shook his stinging hand. “Damn it, girl! What are you wearing?”
 
Ranko looked confused. She pulled on the front of her gi and said, “It's a normal gi. It's made of … cotton, I think. Under that I'm wearing a sports bra and panties. What's the problem?”
 
“When I hit you it felt like hitting a rock.”
 
“Huh?” A moment later her eyes went wide as Ranma's did at the same time.
 
Ranma stepped between the combatants and said, “I think I know what happened.”
 
Sounding seriously annoyed Genma demanded, “Out with it, boy!”
 
Ranma explained, “The magic that separated me and Ranko was triggered by one of Ryoga's Shi Shi Hokodan attacks. I think the magic didn't just cure us, it added things like Ranko's extra height and both of our extra muscle. I think it also copied something from Ryoga and gave that to Ranko and probably me too.”
 
Genma was losing what patience he had. “Don't try to be mysterious, boy. Tell me what you're talking about.”
 
Ranma shook his head. “You remember when the old ghoul taught Ryoga in the Breaking Point? How she smashed him with boulders and stuff. He thought it was to learn how to blow up rocks with a touch but the real purpose was to toughen him up.”
 
“I remember that.”
 
Ranko took over, “I figured out how to do the technique of blowing stuff up, but I can't do it because I didn't get toughened up. Without that the shrapnel from the blast can tear you up pretty bad. I think the magic made me tough like Ryoga. That's why hitting me felt like hitting a rock. You'd feel the same hitting Ryoga.”
 
Genma grumbled, “Might have given some warning.”
 
Ranma rolled his eyes and just said, “She didn't know. She's still getting used to her new body.”
 
Humph!” Thought Genma. “Difficult, but not impossible. The Hibiki boy is tough, but not unbeatable. The boy has proved that often enough.
 
When Ranma stepped out of the way Genma moved in again. This time he aimed for more vital spots instead of trying to do general damage. He found the girl was fast and had a very strong defense. They both spent some time basically feeling each other out.
 
What Genma didn't know was that Ranko was testing the abilities and limits of her new body much more than she was testing Genma. From her memories of being Ranma she already knew a lot about Genma.
 
Well, enough was enough. When she felt that knew her body well enough she moved. Ranma had no trouble following his sister's movements, but to Genma they were little more than a blur. His defense was bypassed as if it was not there. He felt sharp pain as his vital spots were struck. It felt like being hit by the kachutenchin Amaguriken but different. The chestnut fist was a brute force attack with little finesse. This was just as fast but precisely targeted.
 
Genma admired the attack even as he was losing consciousness.
 
Ranma looked down at his father, then turned to his sister. “Ranko, that was great! Was that chestnut fist without announcing it?”
 
Ranko shook her head. “When he was testing my defenses I was testing my new body. I found that I'm even faster than before. I can move at almost chestnut fist speed and still hit exactly where I want with no wasted motion.”
 
With a big grin on his face, Ranma complimented, “Pretty cool. Let's see if we can get the panda awake now.” He leaned over and lightly slapped Genma's cheeks.
 
After a moment of this treatment the bald martial artist woke with a shudder. “Do you have a name for that attack, girl?”
 
“Huh?” Ranko looked confused. “Uh, I guess, `hit your opponent really fast?”
 
Ranma offered, “How about `Lightning Fist?”
 
Genma considered that. “Hmm… I believe another school of martial arts is using that name. Well, we'll think of something later. If you want I will train you. As fast and easy as you just took me down I'm not sure how much I'll be able to teach you. If nothing else I can spar with you to keep your current skills sharp.”
 
He paused before asking, “Boy, are you as fast as your sister?”
 
The pigtailed boy scratched his head. “I don't really know, Pop. The only real fighting I did since we split was yesterday when you snuck up on us.”
 
Genma got to his feet. Waving his hand between the siblings he said, “Indulge me please and spar with each other. I'd like to see what you can do.”
 
Ranma took up a stance, “To be fair let me have a chance to feel out the changes in my body.”
 
The girl smirked and said, “No problem.”
 
They began some light sparring that looked like practice of basic martial arts. However, there was no apparent warning when the two forms suddenly blurred into high speed. From there it looked a little like a DragonballZ anime where the characters were mostly blurs and only visible for a brief moment once in a while. The fight seemed to last about three minutes before the two stepped apart.”
 
Ranko rubbed her upper arm and said, “Damn Ranma, you hit hard!”
 
He looked a little sheepish. “Sorry, Ranko. That really was just a lucky hit. You're really fast.”
 
Genma interrupted, “How would you two judge this spar?”
 
Ranma looked thoughtful. “Back when we were two sides of one person, I was stronger and she was faster. As it is now I think we're a lot closer. I'd say I have a slight edge in strength and she's faster. Overall, I'd say those differences balance out and we're pretty much even. In skill we're exactly the same.”
 
Ranko nodded, “I agree.”
 
The elder martial artist nodded. “It may have taken magic to get you there, but I'm sorry to say you are now at a completely new level. You are beyond me now. I can still teach you a few techniques that you probably don't know yet, but we're going to have to start looking for a new sensei for you.”
 
The twins exchanged shocked looks. “Really?”
 
He nodded. “Yes, you need to find someone who can test your abilities. Son, Daughter, I'm proud of you.”
 
Wow. This was unexpected.
 
Their parent-child bonding moment was interrupted when Nodoka came to the door. She told them, “Breakfast is ready. Ranko, don't forget you need to register at the school. You know the story you'll tell?”
 
Ranko nodded, “Yes, Auntie.”
 
While Ranma went in to start eating, Ranko ran quickly to wash off. This time she didn't bother with the hot soak. She just stepped into the tub long enough to take off the chill from the cold water she had used for washing. After breakfast Ranma did the same thing.
 
By the time the twins were ready, Nabiki had already left. Ranma and Ranko walked with Akane. Ranko was in a Furinkan girls School uniform and Ranma was in a boy's uniform. Ranma had his hair in the usual pigtail but Ranko had let Nodoka brush and comb hers. She looked really pretty. With her added height and athletic build, she looked different from Ranma's girl side.
 
For a change the ladle lady was not there when they walked by. Ranma looked back and was startled to notice her coming out of her gate after they had already passed. She was carrying her bucket and ladle and just set it down.
 
“Hey Ranko?”

“Yeah, Ranma?”
 
“The ladle lady came out after we walked by.”
 
The redhead turned and looked. Sure enough the old woman was now dipping her ladle in the bucket and throwing water on the sidewalk.
 
Both twins got manic grins on their faces and high fived. Akane looked puzzled. “I don't get it. Why is that such a big deal?”
 
Ranko looked at Akane. “This means we aren't water magnets anymore.”
 
Ranma explained, “Before if there was the slightest chance I could get wet it would happen. Sometime I'd get wet even if it wasn't possible, like rain out of a clear sky or water flowing uphill.”
 
Ranko took it up again. “It wasn't the worst thing about the curse but one thing I always hated was having to walk around in wet clothes. If we avoided the ladle lady then it looks like we won't get splashed at random times anymore.”
 
Akane still thought they were placing more importance on it than it deserved, but she decided to let them be happy. Certainly it hurt nothing if they could draw happiness from such a simple thing.
 
Author's Note: Genma actually says he recognizes that his... children are better martial artists than he is? Ranma actually has been better for a while but couldn't convince his father before. Nodoka is losing her resolve on her position that she won't have sex with her children. Ranma has to convince people he doesn't change any more and Ranko has to deal with school as a girl. Stay tuned for the results.