Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Wounded (now with spacing) ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 3
 
Ranma didn't hear anything from the Tendo sisters for several days except for a message the first day telling him they had started the search. He kept training and sparring at the fight-club, gaining more respect for every day, and enjoying the luxury of having his own apartment. The prize he won the other night coupled with the winnings from the bet would last a long time, allowing him to relax instead of searching for another fight. Late at night he would lay in bed thinking about Akane Tendo, wondering about what she were doing, and imagining what he would do or say the next time they met. It felt good to have something positive to think about, and he also was excited about the search for his family. He immensely enjoyed the brighter emotions he was experiencing, and slowly turned his back to the darkness he'd been wandering in for the last 4-5 years. Laughter became a part of his days again, though he had never stopped laughing - it just changed from the morbid humour he'd drifted into, to a lighter, more innocent laugh, simply enjoying life.
 
This afternoon he was at the club working out, trying to ignore the way everything around him made him think about Akane. His opponent tried to take advantage of his distraction, but Ranma's lifelong training had left him with reflexes and autonomic reactions that allowed him to fight blindfolded with both hands tied behind his back against anyone from level `Good' and down. Ranma ducked and weaved around, giving his opponent more exercise than he got himself, and finally his sparring partner held up his hands, calling for a stop.
 
“That...that's enough...for me...for now...” he breathed heavily, dumping down to the floor.
 
“Okay. Thanks for the `workout'. I'll see you tomorrow!” Ranma grinned as the man on the floor just growled after him, and whistled as he climbed out of the ring. He stopped for half a second as he felt someone looking at him, and his heart raced as he turned and saw Akane Tendo.
 
“Hello.” Akane greeted him in a light tone, looking more like a little girl this time in a fluffy deep-green sweater, a short black skirt and deep green thigh-highs. Her long hair was just pulled back with a loose bow, with a couple of stray hairs hanging over her shoulders.
 
“Hi. What are you doing here?”
 
“Nice to see you too.” Akane huffed, pretending to be miffed but didn't hide her growing smile.
 
“Sorry, I'm just surprised, that's all. I thought you guys would just send me a message, not pop up here in person.” Ranma smiled. “So, how are you? Things going okay?”
 
“Why don't we go to that café or something, and I'll fill you in?”
 
“Sure, that would be nice. I'll just take a quick shower here first. Would you be okay out here?” Ranma scanned the room quickly, but saw only a couple of fighters and none of the more unpleasant crowd.
 
“I'm a martial artist too you know, I'll be fine! Just run along now, I can take care of myself” She stuck up her nose, and went to find a clean seat to sit down in. Ranma shook his head, but decided to run to the shower instead of bickering with her. It was one of his quickest showers ever, and a couple of minutes later he walked back out and saw Akane talking with his sparring partner. He felt irrational anger surge up in him, and fixed a glare at the man who obviously tried to charm Akane. She laughed as Ranma walked up behind her, and he suddenly felt extremely jealous of the man who had that light silver sound directed towards him. Akane had obviously noticed him, `cause she turned and smiled.
 
“Finished already? You sure were quick! I never manage to be that efficient, and I've tried for several years. Somehow I always use at least 10 more minutes than I intend to.” She grinned, and stood up brushing off her skirt.
 
The man she had talked with also stood up, looking cautiously at Ranma before he turned to Akane. “No fun that Ranma gets to take you out, and you won't even tell me your name… At least give me your number, Beautiful, and I promise to be a gentleman…” He winked at her conspiratorially and Ranma was about to punch him in the face when Akane laughed again.
 
“I told you I don't give out my number to just anybody. I don't know you, and I'm not really interested in getting to know you right now. Sorry, but I've got to go. But you can still be a gentleman, you know.” She winked back at him. Ranma grinned triumphantly at the unlucky guy as he pulled Akane's arm onto his in a very gentleman way, and led her out of the club. She let her arm rest lightly in the crook of his arm, and they walked silently to the café enjoying the sunny weather. Ranma held open the door for her, and when he pulled out a chair for her she laughed as she sat down with great dignity. He snapped his fingers at the waiter and ordered them both some green tea and cookies.
 
“Thank you kind sir.” She giggled like a little girl, and waved him down in his own chair. “Where did you learn manners like that? I didn't think you could learn things like that on the road, besides it was not very Japanese, was it? More like western etiquette, I would say.”
 
The waiter came back and served the tea, whipped out a plate of chocolate cookies, and took the money Ranma handed him.
 
“I learned it from a gentleman-fighter I met about 3 years ago, right after my pop left and I entered my first arranged fight. I needed the money for food and clothes, and won easily enough. Thanks to my old man I'm an excellent fighter, but I sucked at socialising. I would just throw insults, or say close to nothing at all as I constantly put my foot in my mouth. The man I won against has such style I had never seen before, a dignified grace that made it seem like he won even though he lost. As if nothing could destroy his honour. He came and talked to me afterwards, and even though I was as rude as ever, he decided to take me under his wings and show me a thing or two. We travelled together for about 6 months, me teaching him several fighting techniques in exchange for him teaching me about composure and manners. It took a while, but he taught me how to turn my insecurities and weaknesses into strengths or how to put them aside until I could deal with them. I highly admired him, the way he could silence the strongest and most brutal of fighters with just a stare. He's also the one who showed me the ropes and tricks in the `business'.” Ranma fidgeted with the menu, looked up at Akane and smiled. “Now it's your turn. What do I own the pleasure of your company, miss Tendo? Have you found something already?”
 
“Please, just say Akane… `Miss Tendo' makes me feel like I'm 5 years old again. No, nothing new yet, but we didn't count on getting any results this soon. The reason for my visit - if I need one - is that we have a business proposal for you. Me and Nabiki were discussing some deals yesterday, and as her reputation spreads we get more jobs and less time to work in. We thought about splitting up, since I've learned all I need to know about the company from her, but we've always coupled up for safety. What we were thinking is that Nabiki could concentrate on all the `safe' jobs, and I could take care of all the necessary `slumming'…” Ranma was about to interrupt her telling her just what an idiotic idea it was, but halted as she held up her hand. “…but I know it's dumb to go alone on those jobs. Would you consider going with me as extra muscle and with needed experience from the fighting-clubs, as payment for the job we're doing for you?”
 
Ranma studied her carefully, noticing the way the deep green colour of her sweater brought a green undertone to her eyes, her hair curling around her face caressing her cheeks, the slight pout in her red lips… There would be plenty of trouble trying to keep her safe, but he wouldn't trust anyone else to be able to protect her. She would be like honey to the bugs in the slum.
 
“So you scratch my back, and I scratch yours? I'll do it on one condition…”
 
“Name it.”
 
“I make the calls when we enter the fighting arenas. You can be in charge of the business side, but I'll do most of the talking, and you do as I say if it looks like trouble's coming.”
 
She wrinkled her nose in an adorable way, contemplating his demand, and stuck out her bottom lip looking at him. “Do I have to do everything you say? I'm not used to not being in charge of the safety and from time-to-time the fighting.”
 
Ranma got an urge to bend over the table and kiss her, licking her cute pouting lips, and several naughty thoughts ran through his head as to what he would tell her to do if he could boss her around outside the fighting-arena, and he pinched himself in the arm under the table to get a grip on himself.
 
“I'm running my own Dojo, you know.” She continued. “I'm taking it over after my father, and I'm teaching some classes in between the jobs I do for Nabiki. I scratch her back, and she helps me with the Dojo budget and some other problems.”
 
“Really? You have your own Dojo? You lucky dog!”
 
“Oooh, jealous are we?” Akane smiled wickedly to him, and Ranma felt the smile hit him like a heat wave, making it hard to breathe for a second.
 
“Y-yeah… All I've ever known is the Art. And I love it, don't get me wrong, but I envy those who have more than just their name and empty hands.” He couldn't believe he told this girl his innermost feelings so easily, but for some reason he trusted her. He noticed her eyes getting a soft look, and blushed looking away. “You won't tell the guys now, would you? They'd mock me for the rest of my pathetic life.” He grinned weakly.
 
“Nah, your secret is safe with me. I'd love to show you my Dojo though. It's my whole life, I love the smell and touch, every dent in the boards…” Ranma saw a new tenderness creep into her face, the distant look focusing on something he couldn't even imagine.
 
“Maybe you could show it to me one of these days, if one of the jobs take us your way..? That is, if you've accepted the terms…”
 
“Okay Mr Saoto-“
 
“Ranma.” He interrupted her.
 
“Okay… Ranma… You've got yourself a deal.” Akane stood, holding out her hand.
 
“A deal it is, Akane…” Ranma stood and took her hand, but instead of shaking it, he brought it up to his lips, breathed in the scent of her skin and kissed it lightly. Akane blushed crimson and clumsily stepped back as he released her hand. He smiled and offered his arm to her, and she hesitated for a second before she shyly put her arm into his. His smile widened at this, and they slowly strolled out the door and back down the street.