Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Wounded (now with spacing) ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 8
 
A couple of days went by, and Ranma was hoping to get another job from the Tendo's so he could see Akane again. He was walking into the fight-club late that night, thinking that some training could make him relax enough to let him sleep. As he was starting a kata, his cell-phone rang. Stopping abruptly, he answered it eagerly.
 
“Saotome…”
 
“Ranma? Where are you?”
 
“Akane? I'm at the club, training a bit… Why?”
 
“Stay there, I'll be right over. I've got news!” she said excitedly.
 
“Okay… How long `till you get here?”
 
“I've parked outside your apartment, so I'll just run over now. See ya!”
 
Ranma didn't have a chance to say anything before she hung up, so he tried to get back to his kata as he waited for her. He'd just gotten his focus back when she came running in.
 
“We've found the records for when you and your father left for China!” she exclaimed.
 
“What! What does that mean!” Ranma had to sit down, realising he'd never expected them to find anything at all, just using this as an excuse to say he'd tried everything before he gave up.
 
“It means we have a clue to follow! Now we have a place to start searching, a lead to follow back in time! Isn't it great!” Akane radiated with excitement, skipping like a little girl with laughter in her voice. “And I've found something about this Cat-Fu business. I've got the copies in my car, so you can get them later, okay? The main things is that it's outlawed because of the mental damage it inflicts, and when exposed to cats for a long time you turn when the fear gets high enough, and when a person has turned cat they seek out a loved one they trust, looking for the security and safety that you mentioned before… There's some other details also, but you can see it for yourself later.” Akane dumped down besides him, smiling brightly. “So, how do you feel? We've actually got a lead! I told you Nabiki's the best!”
 
Ranma shook his head slowly, feeling dazed. “I can't believe it… I thought it was close to impossible! I can't believe it…”
 
“Believe it, buddy, we're well on the way to finding your family!”
 
“Family… wow… that's… -Let's go to your car, I would like to see the rest of the info you found… I'm not gonna get any sleep tonight anyway, so I might as well do something useful.” He grinned standing up, and reached down to pull her up also.
 
“Do you have trouble sleeping?” Akane asked, looking worried.
 
“Nah, I just have some regular nightmares that wake me up, that's all.” He shrugged it off.
 
“Maybe you should do something - " Akane fell silent as they heard voices approaching, and her face turned white. “Oh no… Kuno!”
 
“What?” Ranma looked at Akane and could see the panic that was building.
 
“Please,” she whispered intensely. “Help me get out of here without these men recognising me! He can't see me!” She looked wildly around them, dragging Ranma towards the deepest shadows along the walls.
 
“Hey, take it easy! Don't worry, I'll help you, but there's no need to sneak around.”
 
“Yes there is, you don't know this guy! He's a nut job! A total freak! He's been obsessed with me since I was 15-16 years old! In the beginning he `only' attacked me everyday, and got every boy at our school to attack me as well. He said he wouldn't allow anyone to date me unless they'd bested me in a fight first. I constantly told him I didn't want anything to do with him, that I didn't like him one bit, but he's got his own twisted fantasy world, and soon his approach got rougher…” Akane was whispering hurriedly, glancing around them. “When I kept refusing him, he ambushed me with a sword, a real fucking samurai sword, and tried to undress me, ranting about how he'd show his love for me. I freaked, but he was so much stronger than me. As he ripped though my blouse my fear was so high I somehow managed to punch him out, and ran for safety. The next day I made my deal with Nabiki; that she'd help me keep him out of my way with cleverly laid problems and to keep a tag on him so I knew where not to go. But tonight that tag has obviously failed.”
 
Ranma was stunned. He felt a deep rage churning, but controlled it as he met her pleading eyes, understanding that she wanted to get away rather than having to meet this psycho again. He could hear the people approaching, about 5 of them by the sound of it, and tried to think of what to do. Akane shrank before him, trembling slightly.
 
“Akane, let's try the `groupie' thing again. I'll stand in front of you, and you can hide between me and the wall. We'll make it look like we're just cuddling up, and we'll head for the back door as soon as the coast is clear. But since I've got my back to the room I need you to peak around my shoulder to scan the scene. Okay?”
 
“Okay.” She whispered in a small voice, hiding her head against his chest. He slipped his arms around her, hugging her reassuringly.
 
“Don't worry, it'll be okay. I'll protect you, no matter what happens.” He moved them deeper into the shadows just as the voices entered the room. Akane slipped her hands over his neck, playing with his pigtail. “Good girl.” He whispered into her ear, trying to repress a shiver from her touch.
 
“What a loathsome place my love has lowered herself to enter!” a pompous voice rang in the room. “Surely her glorious being is too good for this place, it must be her evil sister that has forced my precious to go here!”
 
“Well Mister, it's said that she's come here alone several times. They say she's been flirting with some guys here. Maybe it turns her on or something.” Ranma could feel Akane tense up in his arms as they heard the conversation play out behind them. As the weasel that talked about Akane finished up his sentence, they heard a swishing sound.
 
“One more ill word of my beloved from your mouth, you filthy knave, and I'll have your head for it.” Kuno's pompous voice was as warm as a winter night, and no protests was heard. “Now, show me to the leader of this vile place.” Their footsteps receded, and Akane peeked over Ranma's shoulder.
 
“They're heading for the stairs.” She whispered into his ear, making a tingle shoot up his spine.
 
“Let's go!” he said in a low voice, keeping an arm around her in case someone was to look their way. As they reached the door Akane shot a glance back over her shoulder and looked straight into Kuno's eyes as he stood by the stairs.
 
“Akane, my love!” Kuno bellowed.
 
“Oh no!” she whimpered, and ran through the door. They could hear Kuno shout behind them, and Ranma pulled Akane with him as they ran for the back door. They stopped momentarily to block the door with some trash cans, but didn't stay to see if it worked.
 
“He sure sounded like he had serious mental problems!” Ranma yelled to Akane as they ran.
 
“You don't know the half of it!” She yelled back, keeping an eye on the door behind them as they ran. The trash cans trembled a couple of times before they bounced away, allowing Kuno and his followers to rush through the door. “They're coming!” Akane screeched in a panicked voice.
 
“Here!” Ranma said, scooping up Akane and leapt onto the rooftops, taking a short cut for his apartment. Akane hid her head to his shoulder, holding on to him for dear life. Behind him they could hear Kuno screaming.
 
“That foul person is kidnapping my precious flower! Somebody do something! Kill the filthy beast! Anything!”
 
Ranma easily jumped from roof to roof, soon reaching his apartment building. He jumped down to the entrance, putting Akane carefully down before he dug up his keys, locking them in. He led her up to his place, and locked and bolted the door behind them as they got in. Akane stood trembling on the spot he'd left her, looking lost in her casual jeans and baggy sweater.
 
“Hey, are you okay?” Ranma spoke in a low voice, lifting up Akane's chin to force her to meet his eyes. Her bottom lip quavered, but before she could speak they heard voices shouting from the streets below. Ranma went over to the living room window, carefully keeping out of sight as he peeked out. He could see several men buzzing about, and one of them was waving a sword indicating the house.
 
“Damn.” Ranma muttered. “If they keep this up, they'll get me thrown out of the building. And I like my apartment.” He went back to Akane and gave her his keys. “Here, this one will open the small lock, and this one is for the main lock. Only open up for me if I say `The mental is gone'… You got that?”
 
“No… No, no, NO!” Akane was on the verge of a hysteric fit, grabbing hold of Ranma's arm. Ranma carefully loosened her hold on him, swiftly leading her to his couch and forcing her to sit down.
 
“You just sit here, sweetie, and I'll be right back. I'm a martial artist too, remember?” With a cocky grin he winked at Akane, then after a moments hesitation he bent down and kissed her softly, smiling at her as he stood back up and ran out of the apartment. Akane held a trembling hand to her lips, not believing what he'd just called her and that he'd actually kissed her. #Ohmygod! He kissed me! And he ran out there! Ranma, I'll kill you if you get yourself hurt! Please, come back to me!#
 
Getting some control back, Akane scrambled to her feet, almost crying with distress as she nervously trotted the floor, using her cell-phone to make a call. #Pick up - pick up - pick up!#
 
“This had better be good…” With a growling yawn, Nabiki answered the phone.
 
“Nabiki! Kuno's here! He found me!” Akane almost yelled.
 
“What!” Suddenly sounding wide awake, Nabiki's voice got a razor edge. “Where are you!”
 
“I'm at Ranma's apartment. He brought me here, but Kuno somehow followed, and now he's down there with him!”
 
“Slow down, little sis... You're with Ranma, but he went out to meet Kuno?”
 
“Yes! Please, you've got to do something!”
 
“Don't worry, I will. I need to hang up now, but I'll call back later - okay?”
 
“Thank you, sis..!”
 
Akane hung up, and walked on shaky legs to the window to see what was happening. She could make out several body's laying scattered, and two people was still fighting - one of them wielding a sword. Holding her breath, she slowly relaxed as she saw how easily the other person avoided the sword attacks, moving with a mocking grace and casualness. This went on for several minutes, and Akane just wanted it to end so Ranma could come back up to her, but still she was fascinated by the control Ranma showed. Suddenly a big dark car pulled up next to the two fighters, and someone was talking to them from the front seat. With a swift kick, the swordsman was sent sailing into the car, the crashing sound loud enough for Akane to hear it in the apartment. Two men jumped out from the front of the car and picked up the rest of the body's, throwing them into the backseat and luggage room. The fighter that was still standing talked briefly with the men before he turned and walked into the building, and the car soon drove off. Akane quickly went over to the entrance door, fetching the keys, and opened the door just as Ranma stepped up to it.
 
“I said you shouldn't open unless- Ouff!” Akane threw herself onto him, cutting off the tirade Ranma had started. With a soft look in his eyes, he guided them both into the apartment. He tried to pry her off again, but to no avail. Akane shook harder than ever, and suddenly started crying with deep sobs.
 
“Hey, it's okay now. He's gone… Your sister sent someone to pick up him and his gang, and you wont be troubled by him again. You should have heard some of the things that boy ranted about - geez…” He kept stroking her back slowly, letting her cry out against his chest. “Listen, sweetie, why don't you take a nice, long shower...? It'll make you feel better, I promise. Have you ever tried a western shower before?” He felt her shake her head, sniffing loudly. “Well, now's your chance, I happen to have a nice western shower here.” Picking her up, he carried her out of the living room and through the apartment to the bathroom. He put her carefully down, and she stood silently watching him as he explained how to use the taps, and put out some large towels for her. “Now, just use your time, and let the hot water work it's magic.” He smiled at her before he left the room. His cell phone started to ring at that moment, and he answered it quickly.
 
“Saotome.” He almost barked.
 
“It's Nabiki. How's my sister?”
 
“She's a wreck. I've put her in the bathroom now with the orders to take a long, hot shower, and I hope it'll help her out of the shock she got tonight. Would you care to explain what the hell this was all about!”
 
Nabiki breathed out slowly, obviously relaxing with Ranma's words, and told the short-version of the `Kuno-case'. “He's dangerous, Ranma… He spent a year playing with my sis before he snapped from her continuous rejections. I'm sorry to say I sold pictures of her to him, but I had no idea-… I wish I'd known, and I would have made sure to take the necessary steps sooner... Anyway, sis had to fight her way into school every day thanks to him and his stupid declaration that no one could date her unless they had beaten her in combat. She levelled the guys, of course, but none of them were any good except Kuno, and he let her win for a year before he sprung the surprise. She was in bad shape for days afterwards… The shock of the knowledge that she never really had a chance against him coupled with the attempted rape left her confidence shredded in the dirt, and I had to use lots of recourses to keep him out of her way for the next weeks. Luckily I managed to get him going on a wild goose chase, and by the time he returned I'd hired the first in a line of mentors for Akane. She slowly got better, both mentally and physically, but she still used butt-ugly clothes as a defence against guys outside of work… until she met you… Somehow, she trusts you, Saotome…”
 
Ranma had dumped down on his couch during Nabiki's explanation, and he kept clenching and un-clenching his fist, wishing he could pound Kuno for another hour or five. “What are you going to do with him now..?”
 
“The problem is that the Kuno family has big money backing them up. I've tried to pull some strings to lock him up, or force him to have a mental evaluation, but they buy their way out of just about everything… This time I've arranged for a big Kuno-sized crate to be dropped over the North-pole, and knowing there's no planes scheduled to go there for several weeks I hope it'll give my baby sister some needed rest.”
 
“Okay. I'd better start training her then.”
 
“You? Yes, I guess that would be a good idea… No, make that great. I've got to take care of the transportation now, Saotome. I owe you one… We owe you one… Tell sis I've taken care of things, okay?”
 
“I'll do that. Good night…” Ranma put down the cell phone and leaned back into the couch, listening to the shower running. His eyelids lowered as the minutes went by, and before Akane stepped out of the shower he was fast asleep.
 
Heh, heh, heh... Now guess what's up next... I'll give you a hint: It's round, like an orange, but yellow, and makes your mouth water...