Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ London Rain ❯ Volume Two, Chapter Nine: Come to Dinner ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Come to Dinner

Bridget hated Sundays. Today was no different. She made a face of shock.

“What? You said what?!” she asked. Rosemary sheepishly smiled.

“Karen invited us to dinner,” she said.

“What didn't you say no?” her daughter asked.

“She's my best friend,” the old woman said. Bridget threw back her head and groaned.

“Why do I have to go?” she asked. Her mother frowned.

“She misses you,” she said. Her daughter stared at her. She can't be serious.

“So?” Bridget asked. “James and that little demon will be there.”

“Aw, don't be like that,” Rosemary said.

“No!” Bridget said.

“Please? Do it for me?” her mother asked. She looked like a hurt little girl. The younger woman tried to look away. No. Oh no. Not this again. Bridget cursed herself in her head.

--------

Rosemary smiled as she rang the bell. Bridget stood, rolling her eyes. Why am I here? They looked up when the door opened. Karen stood in the doorway.

“Bridget, Rosemary!” she said. “So good to see you!” The old woman hugged. Bridget frowned. Karen looked up and saw her.

“Bridget!” she said. “So nice to see you! Thanks for the other night.” The younger woman forced herself to smile.

“Yeah,” she muttered. “Sure.” Karen moved away from the day.

“Please,” she said. “Come in.” Rosemary grinned.

“Gladly,” she said. The old woman walked inside. Her daughter followed behind.

James and Faith were already at the table. Karen led her guests into the dining room. Faith looked up, sneering.

“Oh, you're here,” she said. James nudged her in the side.

“Hey!” his sister snapped. Karen cleared her throat.

“Anyway,” she said. “Everyone is here now.” Bridget felt like screaming.

---------

The table was silent. Faith glared at Bridget. The poor woman wanted to run away.

“Well,” Karen said. “This is cozy.” No response.

“Why is she here?” Faith asked, pointing at Bridget. The woman glared at her. You little bitch, she thought. Bridget shook her head.

“I invited them here,” Karen said.

“But why?” her daughter asked.

“Mrs. Finn is my friend,” Karen said. “We barely see each other.” Bridget rolled her eyes. James kept his eyes on his plate.

“Yes, why am I here?” Bridget asked. “James and I aren't together anymore. So… why?” The old women said nothing. Bridget rubbed her forehead.

“Don't tell me you're trying to get us back together,” she said.

“No!” the moms were quick to say. Bridget narrowed her eyes at time. Only Faith was eating dinner.

“Want more wine?” Karen asked.

“Yes!” Bridget was quick to say. James' mother poured her more wine. Bridget downed it as fast as she could.

“Cane I have some too, mum?” James asked.

“Sure,” Karen said. She poured him more wine.

“Want some too, Rosemary?” Karen asked.

“Yes,” her friend said. Bridget shoved more food into her mouth. At least Karen was a good cook like Rosemary.

“I hare Sundays,” Bridget said to herself.

“What did you say?” her mother asked. The younger woman shook her head.

Sunday Dinner