Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ At a Glance ❯ Haunt No MOre ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: You all know the jazz; do I need to keep it up? : P
 
Aright, next one coming at you! Here is the next chapter, chapter four! I plan a bit of fun, I foresee a bit of action, and bit of traumatizing events in the future chapters. I have to begin to crack the egg, so to speak, so here goes nothing!
 
At A Glance
 
Chapter 5: Haunt No More
 
 
“I can't believe that she has a horse named that! Why in the world would you name a perfectly good horse something so stupid?!” Kento asked, shaking his head in complete wonder as the others laughed and chuckled around him later that night.
 
Each of them were hanging out in the room that Cye and Kento had, talking about what was going on when Kento brought the subject up again. Yulie already in bed and Cat taking care of her two animals, it left the other seven people with nothing to do but talk and plan. Perfect for Rowen, terrible for Kento.
 
“You are one to talk, buddy. I thought I caught you giving the apples at Mi's house individual names one time while I was cooking,” Cye said, smiling brightly as Kento sputtered.
 
“No way! He did that?” Lena asked, her eyes wide as she looked to each of the guys, watching them hide smiles behind hands or laugh outright. Kento shook his head, “I deny all evidence and charges, sis. You can't catch me at it!”
 
“Which is why they already did,” Ryo said, wisely. Lena didn't know how he did it, but he kept his face uncharacteristically straight, which only sent her into another fit of laughter. For once in his life, the hard head stopped talking, too out of the loop to really contribute anything in his defense that would help him.
 
“Ok, guys. Why don't we figure out what to do tomorrow then?” Mia said smiling as Kento chose then to speak up, “We are going skiing, aren't we?”
 
“Yes, but do any of us know how?” Sage spoke for the first time since they all gathered together in the room they were using. Mia just laughed, not taking much notice in the sulking way he had asked the question to the rest of them, “I've signed you all up for lessons. Nothing to worry about!”
 
Everyone chuckled as Ryo blinked, “But classrooms make me sleepy!”
 
Rowen rolled his eyes as Mia just hid a smile. Obviously Ryo had been making a joke, judging by the way he gave a mischievous glance that you could normally find on Rowen to Mia and the rest of them. Lena raised an eyebrow. It finally seemed that Ryo was trying to flirt. A small smile spread on her face, which she quickly hid, though not before the others spotted it and shared it with her. Glancing at each face, she finally landed on Sage's. The guy seemed to be lost in thought again, not that this was different from other times, but the way he was lost in thought was far different this time. Was Lena the only one to notice this?
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
As the night progressed, each of the group went to bed, expecting a big day the next day, and as such, wanting as much rest as they could. Something told them that it wouldn't last…it never did, but they all needed the vacation.
 
It was during this time that Sage found himself under a tree in the front yard, unfeeling of the snow that fell about his form. He leaned against the tree, as if finding it to his only salvation to the thoughts of regret that consumed him. This was where Lena found him, after having made the rounds that were customary for her at her house when she watched her siblings.
 
She stood there, watching him for a while. She had heard, of course, from the others about the haunting battle they had had not to long ago. The one where the wizard, Shikaisen, had tricked Sage into coming to New York. From there, the monster took control of Sage's armor through the use of technology and magic, making Sage helpless. Sure, people had died, but it was the evil of that creature that had made things as they were. Shaking her head, she stepped forward towards the blond young man, a small smile on her face.
 
Sage's pale violet eyes glanced at the clear sky, his eyes taking in the stars as Rowen might. The auras about him were pure, amazingly so. Perhaps this was the way of the nature in this area. He might never figure it out, but he knew he would always see it. Closing his eyes, his head dropped, the picture of utter self dejection. A female voice sounded clearly through the night air as did the soft footsteps, “You should be in bed.”
 
It was frank, blunt, totally to the point, and that was how he knew who it was, despite the usual tenor that was the typical note level of the person. He turned, lifting his head in a small wry smile, “So should you.”
 
Lena shrugged, walking forward. She frowned inwardly, hiding her feelings from him. Empaths could pick up on them, and she didn't want him to find the feeling that thump in her heart that she had never identified herself. The thumping of her heart, the quiver of her knees, all of it was unfamiliar to her as anything else. Fighting to get it under control, she walked up to where he stood before her, arms covered in her hands. She sighed inwardly, and then smiled up at him “Couldn't sleep. There was just this good friend of mine who locked himself outside when he should be sleeping. So I thought I should keep him company. Is that wrong?”
 
“No…but I'm not much company as it is,” Sage said with a sigh. Shaking his head, he adjusted the green jacket that he had about his form, his hands shifting in his pockets as flashes of times gone by ran through his mind like a broken record, ready to repeat and torment. His gaze seemed to see right through Lena, as if she wasn't there at all. She sighed, closing her eyes a bit in small exasperation as she shook her head and spoke softly, “That isn't true.”
 
The silence seemed to grow as neither of them spoke a word for the moments that passed. Lost in their own thoughts, Lena came to the conclusion that she wanted to pull him from this fit of depression, find out what it was that troubled him and then fix the problem. She could do it…couldn't she? Shaking her head to herself, she lifted it to gaze at the taller man with a small smile, “I heard about the Shikaisen incident.”
 
Sage stiffened beside her.
 
Lena turned to face him, her eyes shining with the bright need to suddenly make things right again. Suddenly, she only wanted to make sure that he was alright, to clear the doubts, and to chase the shadows that the Ronin of Light had gained in the battle that would probably haunt him for a long time, “Sage, what's wrong? Tell me. What is it that you hide? You know I can keep quiet, but we are all worried about you. I'm worried…so please…tell me…”
 
Sage looked down the couple inches to Lena's face and sighed, shaking his head, “You know of the battle, I take it?” Lena nodded, “Then listen…”
 
Lena winced a bit at the hesitation in his voice, “When I flew to the USA the first time, I believed it was because my knowledge was needed. My training in swords…it made me proud to go and help, I the future leader of the Date clan. However, due to my pride, I was captured. I dreamt only of nightmares, frights and scares that tore me from any rest I might have gained while my waking was wrought with pain beyond what even Talpa had put me through. To add to that, my armor went out of control, a power mad, raving murderer. It KILLED, Lena, killed so many…and somehow, I know…this is my fault…”
 
She shook her head, giving in to impulse and wrapping her arms around him in the most comforting gesture she could give, “You baka. You stupid idiot…it wasn't your fault…”
 
Sage glanced down at her as she whispered, doubt and loathing in his face, “No...I know it is my fault. Those people died because of all of that. I should have been able to control…to win. I was afraid…”
 
SO that was it…I see now. He was afraid…
 
Lena mentally grimaced at the Snow spirit's comments, but nodded to herself. It was right. Looking up, she smiled slightly, “No one can ever fault you for another's actions. Fear is fine…in fact, I'm glad you were.”
 
Sage looked startled, and was ready to refute her point when she put a finger to his lips, “No, listen to me my friend. The fact is that if you weren't afraid, then you wouldn't have been human. Sage, I'm proud of you.”
 
“Proud?
 
“Yes, proud,” She smiled at the shock in his voice, “Because you fought on despite those fears. Despite all the knowledge, you jumped forth and fought for what you believed was right. What I do believe, though, is that you are a total idiot for not realizing it sooner. Those people were not your burdens. What happened to them was an incontrollable factor, and it always will be. What ifs aren't going to help you at all…you are better off just getting the extra sleep. What's done is done, and well…O for one am glad you are still alive to come visit me. If not, I'd have to revive you so I could kill you again!”
 
Sage looked shocked, then smiled as the sense spoke this his more sensible side. He nodded, thinking to himself as he looked up at the sky, no longer really seeing the shadows, but the various answers to questions he had that had just been given to him by talking to another person. Nodding, he looked at her, “Thank, but I think I will stay alive if it's the same to you.”
 
“I appreciate that,” Lena smiled, nodding. The grinned, then laughed, just like they used to. She had always kept his word by him, always treated him as a person. Maybe that was why he didn't have as hard a time listening to her. Glancing at her, he saw that she already watched the stars again, shivering without noticing. Sighing to himself, he came to a rapid decision.
 
Lena sighed, happy that Sage was on the way to possible recovery from depression. His attitude as good as said that he was going to be better, after all. However, she had been stupid. Of all the nights she had to do it, she had to forget her coat. Shaking her head to herself, she debated to go back inside or not when she felt the folds of something heavy cover her shoulders. Blinking rapidly, she saw Sage's coat about her arms as Sage watched the stars once more. However, she couldn't let him get cold in her place.
 
The stubborn girl wrapped her arms about him, smiling softly as he returned it, his arms acting to warm her as well inside of the coat. Sage sighed, bending his head as if a weight had just been taken off his shoulders. Looking at the sky, he thought to himself in careful terms.
 
“I am the warrior of Light. Grace…my virtue…the ability to admit wrong and fix it. I know now…thank you Lena. You are right…I will burn the shadows that aren't mine to bear. Night…haunt me no more.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Author's note: I know that was a little shorter then I usually write, but I figured that it was a nice place to stop. Well, not much more to say as of right now, but I'll see you with the next chapter!
 
Hikaru
 
 
Reviews: Here you are! And thank you soooo much!!
 
Inda: Be honest. Do you like the wackiness? Or should I tone it down? : P I try for humor, since like I said in Insanity's Requiem, Cat is a tribute to my beta, and she truly is that crazy sometimes! By the way, I didn't realize that you could email people back for reviews and say thanks and all. I may have to try that sometime. But until then, I'll just keep dedicating chapters to people. : P
 
Meira Evanstar: Not a problem you. Thanks again for your reviewing, and hey, I love reviewing yours and Inda's stories. They really are good, and I get a kick out of them. As for fighting, you bet! I will have some more on the way!
 
 
 
Previews: In which the guys wonder why they wanted to ski instead of going to Starbucks!