Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ At a Glance ❯ Heartbreak ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the Ronins, merely the characters that I made up.
 
Alright. I'm keeping this top part to notes for advising to each of you who will read this. This chapter has caused the ratings of the story to go up, due to the graphics and actions of the characters in this chapter. No, it isn't a lemon or a lime, however, this is emotional angst and the ideas are meant to be gruesome for the effect that I'm going for. Anyways, I hope you enjoy, and here is the final chapter of At A Glance. There will be an epilogue to follow it.
 
 
At A Glance
 
Chapter 8: Heartbreak
 
Two hours. Two long hours into the drive back home, and Lena was already wishing that she hadn't taken the guys up on the offer to drive at least half way back home. Yea, she knew what it was like, how long the drive was, since she had gotten them all up there in the first place. However, the roads were winding, distracting in some instances, and if it wasn't for the guys and Mia chatting with her, she was certain that she would have fallen asleep.
 
“Man…I'm hungry…”Kento moaned from the back seat. Rowen laughed as Sage replied from the front seat, “You are always hungry!”
 
“I can't help it!” Kento whined as Ryo rolled his eyes, sitting in the back next to Mia, acting as a block between her and Kento. Lena sighed…two more hours of driving, two more blasted hours.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*
 
“Alright, let's stop right here for gas and a bite to eat,” Mia said, smiling as she pointed out the exit. Lena sighed in relief as Sage looked at her in understanding. He knew it was a long drive…he himself made travels like this before as well, since he could drive. He was about to open his mouth to speak when Kento cried out for joy, accidentally knocking Ryo forward to bump the seat before them, jolting Yulie awake.
 
Shaking her head, Lena laughed, glad that Mia was going to switch off driving with her at this stop. She pulled into park, and opened the door next to her, stretching out slowly with a groan that was mimicked or seconded by the others as they stepped from the van and stretched their legs. Together, they walked into the restaurant and ordered some food.
 
Sitting down, everyone made light chatter. They had another week and a half of vacation, but on this November morning, all they could do was recall all the fun they had at the ski resort. Cat had gone down to the city ahead of them, longing to be at her real home rather then the relaxation cabin of her families.
 
“FOOD!” Kento yelled out, Yulie smiling as he imitated him chowing on the food before him with blatant disregard to how much he was shoveling in his mouth. The action was alarming enough that Cye immediately worked to getting Yulie to slow down, his soft gentle laughter filling the air about him.
 
Rowen just shook his head, rolling his eyes as he took his first bite into the burger before him, “Never happy, eh Kento?”
 
Mia chuckled as she caught Kento's sulking stare with a grin. Ryo just sat the tray next to his girl friend with a smile and a shrug as he shot an apologetic glance to Lena, who was about to sit net to her. Lena merely gave him a smile back with a shrug as she sat in the chair next to Sage and Rowen, rather then the booth at the other side of their table. She took a bite out of the veggie-burger before her, “Mmm…burger king…”
 
That caused everyone to laugh as they looked at her, Rowen offering her a comment, “Seems like you've been around Kento to much, though I must say this place is better then McDonalds!”
 
Lena just chuckled, listening to the friendly banter as she turned her head back and forth, trying not to laugh at the rapid fire of teasing Japanese sound around her as they all tried to speak at once. She shot Mia a glance, who returned it with a tolerant one of her own. This was nothing out of the usual.
 
Sage glanced at her, smiling slightly. His ghosts still haunted him, but the talk he had with Lena had really helped lay to rest what was wrong in his mind. Sure, the guilt was still there, but she had reminded him that his friends still cared, even if he didn't think so. That night was nice; they had spent in quiet reverie, talking about the stars and their lives, things that best friends talked about, including the curious shapes that her aura had been taking on lately when she got angry. It almost became like a suit, a second outfit that she might have worn, and no one had an idea what it was. Yet, she confided in him, the way he had in her. He was grateful.
 
Lena just shook her head, thinking about the stuff that would happen at home, and secretly, she looked forward to it. She missed her family greatly, and nothing would feel better but to be there and say hello to them after a trip like this one, as fun as it was. Her thoughts were interrupted as a fry hit her in the face, causing her to blink rapidly as the table got silent. She just groaned, whipping her face off with the handkerchief that Cye handed her as she sighed, “I think I need a Starbucks.”
 
The guy's eyes lit curiously as she glanced at each of them, “You never have been to a Starbucks?”
 
The guys shook their heads as she gasped, then smiled, “Oh…you haven't lived until you've had one of those!”
 
She frowned to herself as the guys joked with one another. The spirits were beginning to grow taut, stressed and afraid. She couldn't figure out what it was, since they merely gave her incoherent babbles for most of it. She didn't like this one bit, but she hid what was going on in her mind, burying it for a later time to contemplate. She was too far to stop what was going on; she just hoped that it would turn out alright.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
Kale grimaced as he raced along, becoming one with the night like atmosphere. He trailed the Ice demons before him, not liking what he had seen so far. One by one, they all were somehow getting transported to the mortal realms, and while their numbers were small, the danger they possessed was huge!
 
He had been watching them for the past day or so, Kayura's orders, though he would have done it one his own. Creatures of the night weren't meant to move and be like this. They moved with something he couldn't place, and he knew it was coming down to something big.
 
They wanted power…always had. Thus the reason for their attacking the Ronins and Lena in the first place, or so he came to think. HE wasn't a planner; he wasn't the one who came out with the mind ripping plans. He left those things to the intelligence of Strata, Dais, and Kayura. However, he was cunning, and this was his reason for doing this. Somehow, he was a little to close to these things in such ways. The thing was that the apparently mindless actions that were transpiring before him…he wouldn't have done without a reason. Looking up, he frowned, closing his eyes in small frustration.
 
The chill raised a notch as the darkness seemed to envelop the area he was in, disappearing to reveal him in his armor, ready for battle. Kayura had given him his duty, and his duty he would full fill. HE focused solely on the task as he pulled his sword before him with grim satisfaction, his eyes focusing on the glinting surface that always seemed to offer him comfort. Comfort from the deadly, his way of life. And this time, it was from this that he would win the battle.
 
With a feral cry, he leapt forward, staunchly fighting back the other ice demons easily as one should in an instance like this. He wasn't afraid…he would win.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
Sehkmet frowned, his eyes focusing on the venom that dripped before him on the walls. Yes, he knew it for what it was, and this was placed here as a sign, a warning of sorts. The enemy was telling them not to interfere with their plans. The sign that was beginning to soak into the wall of their castle said as much to him.
 
Backing up, he sighed. He knew that after this move, they would all regroup, and possibly not attack for a while yet. Something irked him, big time. If they had wanted to, they could have attacked them without warning, and most likely overpowered them, the demons were that numerous. But here they were, searching for something quite possible not even tangible, yet offering puzzling warnings that gave one no clue that did it.
 
He frowned to himself, feeling his armor surround his body as he stood guard over the castle. The cruelest joke of all was that these people had done it in a way that no one else would dare. They did it in Sehkmet's own poisons, showing absolutely no fear for the results. The proof was in the demonic body that lay against the wall, obviously having come in contact with the poison. He frowned. He didn't like the joke.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Dais stood where Kayura had asked him, silent as he watched from atop the mortal building tops. They had all refused to allow Kayura to go alone, and while he still thought they should have warned the Ronins by now, he still didn't want their leader to go down. The saddest part about all of this was rather simple really. They had to know something was up already; the demons had attacked them at least twice.
 
Sighing to himself, he felt he blood boiling in his veins like he never had before. The fight was drawing near, he was sure of it. The part of his mind that as a planner told him so, this was supposed to be a big blow. They wanted something, and judging by the length of time it had taken to make the move, they hadn't found it yet. For some reason, he wished they would just so that he could take them out with his own hands.
 
With that, he grimaced, knowing that he had sounded a little too much like Hardrock with that comment. He'd have to worry about that later though, since something powerful crossed his attention. The demonic aura was surging on a house, one that he almost thought he recognized here in this area. His eyes widened as he saw Kayura's aura flare then die. Cursing to himself, he summoned his armor and sped to the source of the light, knowing that this was an almost unknown country they were in.
 
Something bothered him though. Why didn't the battle aura feel like battle aura? Something was wrong, he just knew it. Catching up to Kayura, he knew instantly what she did at the same time.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Kayura panted, swinging her staff to the side with a small motion. Sweat dripped about her face as she glared at the demons that had chosen to battle her on such terms like this. However, this didn't seem entirely right. They were almost pushovers, weren't they? Furthermore, why was it that the aura had surged in this area of France rather then in the area that she had guessed that it would be.
 
Sighing, she turned to see Dais jump into the area, fully armored as her eyes met his. Damn! She knew what had happened at last, and she didn't like it. She had jumped the gun, thinking that the forces would be here. Unfortunately, they were in another place.
 
She cursed to herself as she and Dais raced to the place they prayed was right. Kayura's rage was flaring as they did. She didn't like being tricked, and the demons had done it beautifully. She grimaced to herself.
 
“Your move, Lethias…”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
The time, Mia had taken the wheel. Lucky for Lena, since she had fallen asleep almost as soon as they had gotten out of Starbucks and headed back for her house, no one had the heart to wake her up. Sage smiled slightly, sighing a bit, since even though she had claimed the window seat in the middle row next to him, he was still her pillow rather then the window. He shrugged to himself. At least she was comfortable, even if he had to deal with Rowen's constant shifting around and Kento yelling in his ear from behind him.
 
“Alright guys, we are almost there!” Mia cried, smiling over her shoulder as the others smiled greatly. She knew this trip had taken a lot out of them. Cye turned to wake up Yulie, who sat between him and Kento, as Sage nudge Lena to awareness. She blinked up at him sleepily, shaking her head a bit as she sat up, trying to gather her mind together as she pulled her mind from the folds of its fogginess. Sage choked back a laugh when something began to tag at the end of his mind. Something evil began to surface, though he couldn't place where. Something wasn't right at all.
 
He looked at the others, and noticed they hadn't picked up on it themselves. Maybe he was just going crazy. Each of them stepped out, admiring the sunset light that was illuminating the area as Yulie ran into the front yard of Lena's house stretching out his legs in the snow once more. The others grabbed their stuff from the van and set in on the ground as Sage turned around, taking in the area as his gaze fell on Lena. She stood up straight, her eyes wide as she slowly moved around the area.
 
Each of the guys picked up on the nervous tremors that ran along their mind link, turning to face her with a serious set of mind. Cye leaned over her shoulder, his voice firm but gentle, “What's wrong?”
 
Lena shook her head, slightly afraid, “The spirits…are so weak…The evil aura in the area is huge. Whatever happened already has…but…”
 
“But what?” Kento asked, his eyes reflecting impatient worry.
 
“It feels like death!” Lena cried out, running up to the door in a frantic fashion. Her mind kept running over and over as she whispered her prayer, “Please….not them…please…please…”
 
Her begging went over and over as she fumbled for her key to open the door as the others came up to her, Sage deathly serious, “I'm sure it will be alright.”
 
She gave him a fevered glance that told him that she worried about the same thing as she finally got the door open, shaking her head as Mia and Yulie came in last. Biting her lip, her eyes widened at the sight, a terrified gasp emitted from her lips as she looked at the mess before her. Tables and chair overturned, a struggle having obviously taken place. The other guys had come in behind her, spreading to either side of her as Ryo instantly took command, his eyes grim, “Fan out, try to find out what happened!”
 
The guys began to split up and search as a voice that sounded so familiar filled the air with a vibrant echo. They lifted their heads as Lena gasped, recognizing it, “Lethias?!”
 
The maniacal laughter they had heard over nine months ago, struggled against it…was back. The person appeared before them, confirming a dark fear, though in a separate way. Before them, the person looked a lot like Lethias, though different and menacing in his own way. Blond hair surrounded his face, only reaching to his shoulder as a dark cloak surrounded silver English looking chain mail and armor. Pale, cold blue eyes glittered in his narrow face as he grinned, “I'm Taiki. Lethias's son.”
 
“So you were the one!” A commanding voice sounded from behind the Ronins. They turned to see an angry Kayura with a frustrated Dais behind her as Taiki laughed loudly, “Yes. Taking on my father's identity was great fun! I was hoping to run into you all before, when I first got here…but it seems fate had other plans. No matter, I amused myself nonetheless.”
 
“Amused?” Rowen said his voice clipping with anger. Lena glanced at each of the guys, knowing and seeing the under armor around each of their bodies. Taiki nodded happily, looking straight at Lena, “I hope you liked my gift.”
 
Lena blinked her anger flaring as it was. For the first time, she was loosing her temper, and fast. Stress had accumulated into a ferocious force, leaving her with a feeling of angry revenge for a reason she didn't know. The spirits were crying…and she didn't know why, Sage asked “What do you mean…?”
 
“Why I had some fun with the people here!” Taiki said simply, his lips curving into a sadistic grin. He knew what it was he had done, and he had done it on purpose, not for the sake of fun.
 
“Fun?!” Lena's horrified voice sounded above everyone else's as her battle aura began to surround her body once more as it had, acting as if it were clothing in it's own way. Taiki's eyes glinted amusedly, nodding to the girl. She glanced up at him; her frustration teeming around her in unbridled strength as the others began to back away, never having seen this girl this angry, “Why…?”
 
Taiki just shrugged, smiling down at her, “Revenge, my dove. Don't worry…I have plans…and yes…you are included. I want you to see them all…you see, you all hurt my father. I think it only right to return the favor to you, little spirit. It was you who made it possible. Hunt your weakness down, I would crumble the rest with the example.”
 
Revenge. That single word sent Lena into a world of white. Her terrors were possible because of that? He most likely committed a terrible evil, and because of her? No…that can't be right. Anger consumed her heart as she clenched her eyes, calling out to all the spirits she could in anguish. This couldn't go on…it couldn't. She looked up at Taiki, “How….dare…you…”
 
“Hmm?” Taiki smirked, failing to notice the kanji that burned on the girl's forehead, though her companions did not. Heart. And this time, heart was going to take this evil down. Lena cried out, “How dare you!”
 
With the yell, her aura pulsed, flashing into something far more solid. A purple under gear enveloped her form as the others widened her eyes. Kayura's eyes widened, recognizing what was going on, “The ancient's armor!”
 
Lena's cries stopped as cloth enveloped the form. The light stopped, showing the new armor that had been added to the group. The long sleeves of a Japanese priestess adorned her arms, to be tied with a strap of purple string around two inches below her shoulders. Purple armor peeped through the space as her torso was covered with a lighter white robe like shirt that met in the middle of her chest, showing the armor that went up to her neck through the v-shape of the front. The purple on the hedger on the robe was a darker, shinier shade that offset the white as the fabric draped down to her knees, tied at her waist with a violet-pink sash.
 
The armored knees and boots poked out from under the fabric as she held in her hands two shikusen, iron fans, which looked deadly in the way she held herself. Her hair was drawn back behind her head in a flip up motion, hair peaking out the top of the leather straps that were now encircling its folds, holding them back from her helmet less head as a headband about an inch to two thick of purple fabric encircled her forehead, ending on the left side as beads and feathers dangled there, as if clanking in complete happiness at completing the awe inspiring outfit.
 
Kayura smiled, remembering what the Ancient had told her. The Armor of Spirit took on the form to accommodate the bearer. And this time, the bearer was the warrior of Heart, and in response, the armor had made itself less heavy then the guy's. It was obvious in the design. Her thoughts were interrupted as Taiki saw the mutinous anger in her eyes as she pulled out an Ofuda scroll, the Shikusen suddenly inside her sleeve and hidden from sight. The others came up to her sides, grimly looking up at the enemy in front of them. Taiki merely smirked with a shrug, “I will see you little ducks later! I have done my job! By the way, Spirit, the fire in your eyes is becoming. Beautiful, hope you always have it!”
 
Lena seethed, not seeming to realize that the monster was flirting with her as she darted forward to get Taiki, but he had disappeared. She frowned, looking up and about, “Till next time then…”
 
Ryo and Kento fought a battle with their tempers as everyone looked at each other. They knew what they had to do. They all had to find out what had gone on here. The guys split up as the new bearer of the Armor of Spirit teamed up with Sage to search the top floor as Kayura and Dais searched outside.
 
Sage and Lena didn't talk, silently searching the doors one by one as they came to the master bedroom. Glancing at each other, they nodded, opening the door. Lena winced slightly, feeling the spirit's roar out in anger as she did so, some crying for revenge that may never be theirs to fulfill. But then again…that was what she was for, right?
 
The door fully open, the stench of death and acrid blood assailed their noses as Lena looked in, her eyes widening in shock as her first sight was that of her greatest fear. All she could do was scream as Sage wrapped protective arms tightly about her, sending the rapid broadcast in his mind to the others not to let Yulie come in, and that they had found the trouble.
 
As the others ran up the stairs, Lena sobbed, breaking from Sage's arms to run to where the dead lay. Silent tears rolled down her cheeks as she pulled out her shikusen, hoping to fix the terrible sight before her.
 
Upon the walls hung four bodies, horribly mangled. Blood stained the formerly chaste white walls of the room as the ropes that held the dead up were cut away by Lena's ever frantic cutting. The others helped her, Kento looking like he was going to be sick, Cye not that far behind him. Together, they released those who had passed on from their terrible fate.
 
Lena's eyes took in the sight, not able to look away. Their sightless eyes stared openly up at the ceiling, their mouths open in cries of anguish, judging by the cuts placed upon their bodies in terrible fashions. The ropes had cut into their flesh, a torture in their own right. Their bodies had been desecrated by the foul blade and claws of another, and this was clear to Lena. They had died knowing no mercy, only the terror that had driven them to their unjustifiable deaths.
 
The guys stared at her, and then looked away, unable to watch. They had seen it, the fire in her eyes die as she stared at the others. Her proud stature faded away as horror and depression took its place, showing that she too had feelings that shouldn't be there. For in her heart, she felt it break. The immense sorrow was there, and she felt it in levels beyond compare as she stared at the bodies of her dead parents and her youngest siblings. With a cry of anguish, she reached down, clutching to her mother's and father's bodies, holding them close as she tried not to cry, rocking them back and forth, praying that it wasn't like this, wishing and asking why it had happened. She didn't realize that she began speaking with her mind, until she heard someone in reply to her silent question.
 
“Was it truly my fault…They were just good people…parents and…children…?”
 
“No…never…it wasn't your fault at all, don't even think it!” Ryo's mental voice lashed out like a whip, trying to comfort her as Cye nodded, and “He's right.”
 
“Don't worry…we'll get him,” Kento.
 
Rowen, “We always do. Just remember, this wasn't your evil…you didn't do it.”
 
Lena just knelt her head, the blood seeping into the white of the fabric on her armor. She didn't care…she probably never would, even though it was holy cloth that was on her form. Sage walked over, placing a hand on her shoulder, “Let them go, Lena. It's alright…just let go of them right now. Mia is calling for help…don't worry. Just let them go.”
 
Lena stared up at him, her eyes windows of pain, sorrow and hurt filling them brightly. She nodded as Sage enveloped his arms about her, holding her close, tightly, as if trying to chase away what had happened. She just shook her head. It never would…this would never disappear. She tightened her hold on him as she heard him whisper in her ear, “It's alright. Let it out…”
 
All the guys winced as her anguished cry was heard even outside, the silence broken by the sobs that came from the girl, who once so fiery was now heartbroken to the utmost degree.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Author's note: I know, this is a different happening then is usual for my stories, but it was necessary for my next story, which will entail more of triumph and such like that. The problem was, I had to have a reason to pull them all back to Japan, and this was what was needed, since I needed a reason to bring out the armor of spirit. She is left with one sibling though, if you recall Lora. Anyways, I leave off with this chapter, hoping that you read the epilogue, and the next story! Please tell me what you think!
 
Hikaru
 
Reviews: Thank you all so much!
 
Inda: A green eyed monster, eh? That's a new way of looking at it, but if you say so! ^^
 
Meira Evanstar: Glad you liked the Ryo/Mia. I knew you and Inda were waiting for it, so I did my best to make sure that I had it there! It was about time they hooked up!
 
1Scorpion2: Thanks! I thought you might like it, and I hope you continue reading the story that I've written. It isn't always easy to keep up, since I'm busy, but then again, who isn't?