Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Dear Sister Lost - Dais's Story Part 1 ❯ Dais's Story ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Dear Sister Lost
By Penguine

********************************************************* **************
Disclaimer: Like I said before, I don't own them. I just play with them. ^_~
******************************************************************* ****
-Author's note: Since this is just Dais talking, I've switched to 1st person for this chapter. It's one of the rare times I'll ever do it since it fits here, though I still find 1st annoying, personally. :P
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
Part 3
Dais's Story

Several centuries ago, as you may have figured out, there was a village that rested in the grace of this valley. I just happened to be one of those people that called it home. Many of my fondest memories were made here as a child. Me and the other children would often play up on the slopes. In the spring, I would bring home flowers from the meadow for my mother. She had always had a passion for flowers and often wore them in her hair. On hot summer days, us children would go over to the splash pool beneath the waterfall and play water games. At that age, we were innocent. Though we often played those types of games, we didn't really know what death and war actually was. Life seemed so perfect. Everything was so very serene and picturesque.
When I was seven, another joyful gift was added to my life when Mother bore my sister, Mitsu. Mitsu looked so very much like mother. The resemblance was remarkable. Now being a big brother, I made it my sworn duty to watch over and protect my new baby sister. Through that, our bond became stronger than steel, and she came to be the one person I treasured most.
We grew up together. I learned how to be a man by helping her learn about life. Once she was old enough to run around, I took her everywhere with me. Sometimes the boys thought I was a little nuts by bringing my little sister along when I went out to play, but I didn't care. I loved every moment I spent with her.
Then, just before dawn one morning when I was fourteen, my entire world came crashing down, and all I knew was destroyed. Just before the sun was due to rise, the village was rocked awake by loud horrid sounds of people screaming. In what had to be an instant, a savage army flowed over the east ridge and poured down the mountainside and into the village. They came with katanas, spears, whips, and torches, and set the village ablaze as they dragged families from their homes. The men, I included, attempted to fight the soldiers off, but we failed miserably. Most were killed. Those who could escape into the forest and the mountains did.
Some how, the commander got a hold of me and drug me to the center of the village. I tried to kick and scream and break free so that I could go and protect my mother and sister that he shoved me in front of. His men brought out the remaining survivors and the commander got a thrill out of watching me get sick from watching as his men one by one killed off the rest of the villagers. It enraged me when he killed my mother, but that was nothing compared to the atrocity he saved for last.
The last person to die was Mitsu. The damn jerk made me stand there and watch as the soldiers used my sister as a katana pincushion. My heart exploded, and my soul was ripped to shreds. The commander just stood there and laughed as I fell apart. I screamed till my voice no longer worked, and tears streamed down my face until my eyes were as dry as a desert. He laughed at me as the agony of the loss of my sister tore me pieces, and left me mangled and broken. Sure the loss of my mother was horrifying. But she had at least had a chance to live her life. Poor Mitsu's life had only just begun. I had sworn to protect her, and I had failed.
The commander knocked me out and left me there to die from the wounds he had put in me. I woke up that afternoon and just lay there crying as day turned into night. I now longer had the will to go on. My entire life had been ripped away from me, and I felt that I was no longer fit to live. Then, the memory of a lesson my father once taught me about honor changed my mind. Yes, I had failed to protect my sister. The pain and anguish left in my soul was my punishment. But I could still at least honor my sister by going out to avenge her death. The only way to bring closure to that day, as well as to allow my sister to truly rest, I had to find that man who was responsible for her death, and bring his life to an end as well.
Wiping the tears from my face, I stood up and starting walking. That night, I left the tattered remains of what was once a peaceful village with my life and what clothes I had on me as my only possessions. From then on, the only thing that drove me was the hunger for revenge. Revenge for the death of my beloved sister. From then on, that was the only thing that ever truly mattered to me.
In that day, my soul had lived the entire rest of its life. In a short half an hour, I had gone from a child to a man to a mangled dishonored heap of flesh. On the outside I was bruised and beaten, but still alive. On the inside, I had died, and the only flame left burning was that of pure hatred. That was my fate for the failure to keep that promise to the one I cherished most. And I knew it.



**************************************************** *******************