Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Dear Sister Lost - Dais's Story Part 1 ❯ Failure's Result ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Dear Sister Lost
By Penguine

********************************************************* **************
Disclaimer: Like I said before, I don't own them. I just play with them. ^_~
******************************************************************* ****
-Author's note: Again, in here, you will find portions in third person and portions in first person. But, since I'm rather strict with those kinds of things too, I've separated them apart from each other to make it easy to follow. Like in the last chapter, the first person parts are of Dais speaking.
------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Part 4
Failure's Result

A moment of silence followed after Dais finished talking. Hanging his head low, he squinted and heaved a huge sigh of deep sorrow. After a moment, he gulped down the knot that had formed in his throat and looked up to read the faces of his silent comrades. All three registered various looks of shock, surprise, and dismay.
"W-well.. Did you ever catch the guy?" Sekmet braved with a slight stutter. Dais looked at him then turned his gaze away with a slight gleam of shame glinting in his eye. He squinted again then swallowed and cleared his throat.
"Yes and no," he spoke softly as he turned his gaze to his hands.
"Yes and no?" Sekmet prodded in confusion.
"Yes and no," Dais repeated as he shifted in his place and prepared to tell the rest of the story.

* * * * * * *

I left the village that day a broken man bent on revenge. For days, I traveled, lonely and tired, looking for the path that would lead me to vengeance for my sister's death. Finally, I came upon a small infantry, and after some pleading on my part, they allowed me to joined.
Over the next few years, I grew from a broken man to a hardened soldier. I learned everything there was to learn about battle and how to fight and win. I participated in a number of different battles that honed my fighting skills and shaped me into a true warrior.
Then, one day when I was eighteen, in a valley much like the one I had once lived in, I came across that scum bag again. This time, I thought to myself, I was ready to fight. And this time, it would be me who would do the killing. Or so I had thought.
The general and I went round and round. We drew our katanas and a furious fight ensued. Blow for blow he matched me. But he had one weapon that gave him a clear advantage. Knowledge and memory of the pain he had inflicted on me years earlier. And he used that weapon every chance he got. He taunted me and tormented me with nasty remarks and reminders of my failure to save my sister, my family, and my friends in the village. He played with my guilt, and he got the effect he desired. Eventually, I became so focused on dodging his verbal attacks that I became unfocused in dodging his physical attacks.
I swung and slashed out with my sword, trying my best to find his flesh. But with my concentration else where, I became disorganized and I stumbled. Instead of my sword meeting his flesh, his met mine. A well aimed slash caused the tip of his blade to meet with my left eye. I screamed and staggered. His blade came back to try and finish what it had started, but I managed to bring my blade up and knock his from his hand. But the pain in my face loosened my grip and my sword went flying as well. He threw a few kicks and punches, nearly succeeding in knocking me out, but I managed to fight back. Eventually, I disengaged from the fight and fled, retreating into the mountains, barely escaping with my life once again.
I managed to stop the bleeding from my now ruined left eye with cloth turn from my pant legs. A kind medicine man in a nearby village fixed up the wound as best he could, but he could not save the eye. Donning a new patch to cover the missing eye, my guilt from the past was violently rekindled as I realized that I had once again failed to keep my promise. The shame of failure overwhelmed me and I stuffed the memories of that old life in a dark corner of my mind where I could forget them. Now filled with nothing but rage for everything, I threw my old life and name away, and I became someone else.
I joined a new infantry under a new name, and I fought with all the fury that had welled up in my heart threw all the years. It wasn't long before I had completely forgotten about my horrid past and was left with nothing but a soothing black patch of fog for childhood memories. The hatred fueled my will to fight. I lost all that was human in me and became a demon in of myself. It wasn't long before Talpa discovered me and invited me to become one of his generals. With my hatred for the world, I joined up. I wanted the unimaginable power he promised. I wanted the power to destroy all that had destroyed me. So I joined, and became his Demon of Illusion. What better job? I was already so good t creating Illusions of my own out of my own memories.

* * * * * * *

"Ouch. Good motive for joining," Sekmet said. He then screwed up his face and added, "...Sort of." Shuten glared at Sekmet. Dais just continued to stare down at the grown with a weary look of sorrow upon his face. He hung his head low and sat in silence. Cale sat rolling the story around in his head, blinking he looked up at dais.
"Sorry I brought you here. I hadn't a clue," Cale said simply. He then stood up and brushed himself off.
"Nah. It's okay. I suppose I needed to remember, Rajura said softly. "It's the only way I can dig myself out of the illusions I created for myself, and also heal from the wounds Talpa created."
"Though it is hard, I think that is a good answer," Shuten said wisely as he stood up. Dais blinked.
"Yeah. I need to learn how to get over the loss of Mitsu some how. I just still have to figure out how," Dais said with a scowl.
"That's always the hard part," Sekmet said simply. He then stood up, turned and headed back down the hill. Surprised by Sekmet's response, Shuten looked on as the Warlord of Venom descended the hill. Turning to Cale and Dais, he shrugged.
"Well, we'll be down by the river deciding where to head off to next. Come join us when you're ready," Cale said as he turned to follow Sekmet.
"Wait," Dais called behind him. Cale stopped and turned back to face Dais. Slowly, Rajura stood and dusted himself off. "I'm coming too." Cale and Shuten both shrugged and stared down the hill. Dais turned to face Mitsu's grave one last time. He uttered a small prayer, wiped the tears the had formed in his eye, smeared them on the cold stone, then kissed the marker. "May you rest in peace, my dear sister lost," he said solemnly. Then he turned and walked away.

************************************************************ ***********

The End


--------------------------------------------------------- --------------

I had been playing with this idea in my head for a long time. It is only now that I decided to put it on paper. I apologize for the lack of description in the action scenes as I do not know a whole lot about battle and fighting strategies. However, if you liked this story, please review and let me know. In my head, there is a whole nother volume to this story that really ties the whole thing together in a good tight knot. But, I will never write it unless you the readers let me know that you are truly interested in hearing it. ~Penguine