Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family Debts ❯ Part Ten ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Family Debts
By Janime
Part Ten
--------------------
But for a certainty back then,
We loved so many, yet hated so much.
We hurt others and were hurt ourselves.
But even then we ran like the wind,
Whilst our laughter echoed, under cerulean skies.
~Chrono Cross~
--------------------
1348
Essah knelt on one knee far into the cave in the human world, before an unmarked grave - a grave that he had dug centuries ago, shortly after he sold his people to Emperor Talpa. It was a desperate decision, one that he had some regrets about - his people were still alive after all the fighting and deaths. His parents and sister were among the ones killed.
Was death so terrible? Some had believed that it was a release, not a punishment. But when your own people were destroying each other over a matter that seemed so simple.
The Ahkrushians are dead, Essah thought, all but one.
Goshiem, his childhood friend was the last of the Ahkrushians, except for the eleven males that were imprisoned by the Queen Mother. The young Ahkrushian children had been turned into Ka'ei, their memories as Ahkrushians altered and always thought themselves as Ka'ei - Ka'ei that were now slaves.
"What kind of life have I given your children?" Essah asked, looking at the grave before him. "They are alive as you have wished, but what kind of life is slavery? Have I done the right thing to save my people by selling them out?"
Essah angrily wiped the tears away before they fell. "Goshiem has raped and killed forty-nine human women. Only because they did not conceive a daughter… they had conceived a son. Goshiem doesn't need a son - he needs a daughter. No, I'm sorry. It's the Chosen that needs a female to repopulate their kind. I know that you said that it must not happen. And you're right; I cannot kill Goshiem. He was at one time my friend… but he won't listen to me. Instead he listens to the Chosen."
Essah rose to his feet. "I pray that the Old Ones won't allow the Ahkrushian race to be reborn. Forgive me for saying it. The memory still breaks my heart when you killed yourself before Talpa. But I swear that Goshiem will not destroy any more lives. He's caused too much pain… not as much as I have." Essah bowed to the grave. "Rest well, Queen Mother. Your prophecy will be fulfilled."
Essah turned and walked out of the cave. He looked at the sky. Clouds were starting to cover the sun and the wind chilled the summer air. A storm was brewing. Essah knew that it was only one of two.
"Sakuro! Hurry up!"
"I am!" Sakuro shouted, running up the hill to catch up with her brother. "Akito, you're worse than mother."
Her older twin scowled at her. "It's not my fault she worries to death about you."
"Mother believes that old tale about the demon who takes women and they're never seen again."
"Have you ever heard of what happened to them?"
"No," said Sakuro, running her hand through her long black hair, dark night sky eyes looked at her twin with mock concern.
"It's said that he raped and killed them after he was through with them," Akito said.
Sakuro stopped and looked at him, a little fear displayed in her eyes. "Stop trying to scare me," she said.
"I'm not," said Akito, "I'm only telling you what happened and why mother is so worried about you."
"She just wants me to be married off to some wealthy merchant, or perhaps the daimyo himself."
"Well, you are sixteen."
"So are you, Akito," Sakuro elbowed his side. "And your future wife is waiting for you back home."
"Mai Su and I will be married next spring," Akito smiled. "The soothsayer told us that we're a perfect match."
"I have no match," Sakuro looked up to the cloud covered sky. "No man can handle me."
"The price father has to pay for taking you hunting with us," Akito said, and the twins laughed.
They continued walking, traveling downhill and towards the forest; they stopped.
"The Dark Sister," whispered Akito.
"We have to go through it," Sakuro said, "or we won't make it home before the storm comes."
"Are you crazy?!" Akito looked at his younger twin. "That place is cursed!"
"No more than shogun's katana," Sakuro started walking to the Dark Sister. "I can go by myself; I don't need a protector."
"You are not going in there alone," Akito quickly ran after her.
The Dark Sister lived up to the first part of its name. Even without the clouds above there would have been very little light that would filter through the trees. Dead twigs and branches lay carelessly on the ground. Akito and Sakuro carefully yet quickly walked through the scorned and shunned part of the woods. A light rustling sound came from behind making the twins jump and turn around.
Maybe this wasn't such a good idea… Sakuro thought, touching her pendant around her neck for luck. The upside-down triangle, that was the twin pendant her brother also wore.
Something came out from behind a patch of trees. It almost looked human - a man, wearing a dark robe. His hair was different colors; white, black, blue, red, and purple. His eyes were a solid ice-blue color with black pupils, and crisscross lines ran along his cheekbones and the visible skin of his forearms. He smiled a cruel smile and looked at Sakuro, making her shudder under his dark gaze.
"Have you heard of what happens to women if they catch my fancy when they cross my path?" he asked with menace in his voice.
Sakuro gasped. It was the demon!
"Run!" Akito shouted and the twins ran as fast as they could.
Goshiem shook his head. "Pitiful humans," he said and vanished, reappearing before the twins causing them to halt. "Don't leave so soon, my sweet," he laughed.
Akito pulled out his sword. "Sakuro! Run!"
"Akito!"
"Run!"
"This is really entertaining." Goshiem threw a wave of energy at Akito, sending the poor boy flying against a tree. Akito collapsed to the ground, gasping. The pain consumed his entire body, and he vaguely heard Sakuro shouting his name. Akito looked up at Goshiem looming over him with a sword posed to strike him down.
"Why couldn't you just stay out of it?" Goshiem started to bring his sword down.
"NO!" Sakuro threw herself on her knees between the demon and Akito. "Please, I beg of you! Let my brother be!"
"In exchange for what?" Goshiem asked.
"I'll go with you."
"Sakuro…don't…" Akito coughed.
"I accept," Goshiem placed his sword in its sheath. "His life for you."
Sakuro nodded. She turned to Akito and lightly touched his face. "Tell father and mother that I love them, and you, brother."
Akito shook his head. "Sakuro…please…"
"I'm sorry," she whispered and tears fell.
"Time is wasting, my dear," Goshiem said. "Come."
"Yes, lord," Sakuro said and rose to her feet. She walked over to Goshiem; the demon caught her chin and looked at her face. His smile made dread flow through her.
"Be honored to have her as your sister," Goshiem said to Akito, "if she's lucky, this curse of mine will end." And he disappeared, taking Sakuro with him.
Akito stared at the empty pot where his beloved sister and the demon had once been. Tears flowed like the river he was laying next to. "SAKURO!" he screamed and the Dark Sister's power fell upon him.
"He's alive."
"Akito. Akito."
"Why won't he wake up?"
"Please, Akito, open your eyes."
Akito groaned as he tried to place the four voices.
"He's waking up!" a young woman said excitedly. "Akito."
"Mai…Su…?" Akito slowly opened his eyes and saw the beautiful face of his betrothed looking down at him. Her peace-colored eyes were red from crying.
"Akito, my son," said an elder man, "you're alive."
He turned his head to his left and looked at his parents and the clan healer.
"Oh, my baby," his mother touched his face, "you're going to be all right."
"Father…" Akito said hoarsely. "Mother…how…"
"A couple of hunters heard you screaming," said his father, "they were uneasy to enter the Dark Sister, but I told them if they didn't, they'd be living there for the rest of their lives." He smiled a little then said, "Where is your sister?"
Akito closed his eyes and turned his throbbing head away from his parents. "Sakuro…"
"Akito," said his mother, "where is she?"
They saw the tears fall from the corner of his eyes. "In exchange for my life…" he said, "the demon took her…"
His parents started crying. "Sakuro!" his mother sobbed.
Goshiem regarded his new find with interest. She didn't scream, cry, or beg him to release her like the other forty-nine had. All she did was sit there; it was no secret that she was afraid of him.
Over the years, Goshiem chose one woman and ravished her to produce a female. Unfortunately, the unions had resulted with a male. Goshiem didn't need a male - he needed a daughter. A daughter that would give birth to a new generation, and bring the Ahkrushian race back from the dust of forgotten time.
He walked around the human a few times, finally standing behind her. Goshiem reached out and gathered a small amount of her hair in his hands, feeling the texture of it.
Sakuro didn't move; she had never been so scared in all of her life. And she feared of what was on his mind, although she did have an idea if the legend was true.
"You're rather beautiful for a human," he said.
"Thank you…" Sakuro managed to say as calmly as she could.
Goshiem sat behind her, not letting go of her hair. Sakuro swallowed hard as he untied her obi, and loosened her kimono. A tear ran down her cheek as she was laid on the furs.
* * * * * * * * 1351
Akito stood in the garden that was behind his house, watching Mai Su play with their toddler daughter, Sakuro-chan. Mai Su decided it was proper for their first-born daughter to be Sakuro's namesake. Akito smiled; he was glad that his wife did give their daughter his missing sister's name. He felt that it kept his younger twin close to them, as if she was still apart of the family, even after three years. Absentmindedly, he touched the pendant he wore.
The winter had not been too harsh, and the last of the snow was melting as spring turned the air warmer. Akito walked down the small path between the sections of dirt marked off for planting. "How are my two favorite ladies today?" he asked.
"We're doing just fine," Mai Su smiled at her husband, "and she can almost walk by herself without holding my hands."
"Really?" Akito knelt down in front of his daughter and held out his arms. "Sakuro-chan, come to me, sweetheart."
The little girl wobbled a little on her feet, as she held tight to her mother's hands. She took a step towards her father and another. Akito gathered his daughter into his arms and kissed her.
"She's determined," said Mai Su. "She must get that from you."
"And she looks like you," Akito smiled.
Mai Su laughed and took Sakuro-chan from her husband. Akito stood up; movement from the woods caught his eye and he stood in defense in front of his wife and daughter. A woman aimlessly walked out into the sun, blinking her eyes a few times as they adjusted to the light. Akito's eyes widened and Mai Su gasped as they recognized the woman.
"Sakuro!" Akito shouted and ran to his sister. He hugged her tightly and cried. Akito smiled brightly as he held his sister by her shoulders to look at her; his smile faded as he realized that she hadn't acknowledged him. "Sakuro," he said, "it's me, Akito."
"Akito…" she repeated. "My brother… my twin…"
"Oh, Sakuro," Akito's happy tears turned into tears of sadness. "What did that demon do to you?"
Sakuro said nothing, and to Akito it tore at his heart. He was looking at his sister, but she was not there. It was as if her soul had disappeared. Akito then picked her up and carried her towards the house.
Essah watched from the woods as the man carried his sister inside his home with his wife and child following closely behind. The poor girl, he thought, she conceived a female. Essah sighed; he knew it was only a matter of time before Goshiem would come after her for his daughter. He turned from the house and walked through the woods, anger searing through him.
Goshiem, you will pay for what you have done.
"Sakuro, please try to eat something," Mai Su held the small amount of rice in front of Sakuro. Akito and his parents watched in sadness as Sakuro made no movement to accept or refuse the food.
"What has that demon done to my daughter?" Akito's mother wailed.
"Where's the healer?" his father demanded.
"She's coming, father," said Akito, "I sent for her immediately after I brought Sakuro in."
The healer arrived shortly after. "What's wrong with her?"
"She won't eat," Akito told her, "she won't acknowledge anyone, but she did recognize me before when she came out of the forest."
"Hmm," the older woman walked towards Sakuro. "Well, let's see if she-"
"Get away!" Sakuro shrieked as she struck the healer, and then scrambled away till she was against the wall, her breathing fast and her eyes wide. Sakuro started to laugh madly and began to sing.
Sakuro, Akito thought, what's happened to you?
Essah walked through the mountains far from the clan where Goshiem had taken the girl. He stopped at a clearing and looked around. "Goshiem!" Essah shouted.
"No need to bellow, Essah," Goshiem stepped into view. "It's been a long time, my old friend."
"Not long enough," said Essah. "Why have you done this again?"
"You know why, Essah. Unlike you, I want my people to come back as a free people."
"I did what I had to do to save them."
"Did that include killing mine?" Goshiem asked. "All that remains are the Chosen and me, but they are bound to a seal the Queen Mother unjustly cursed them to."
"You only spared that girl because she carries a female," Essah narrowed his golden eyes.
"She carries both. I felt the male first; I almost killed the girl because of him. But then I felt my daughter inside, blocked by her brother at first. Now she grows strong. She will become the next Queen Mother, and you will see my people reborn, looking down upon your people as we willing serve Talpa."
"Never," Essah kissed through his teeth.
"Oh, I forgot, all you care about is your own welfare. Just like the Chosen said."
"You still believe the Chosen?" Essah asked. "After what they did to Leinisha and Resayo and their baby?"
"Because of your brother, my sister was killed!"
"The Chosen killed them!"
"For the Ahkrushian race to survive!" shouted Goshiem.
"They were Matched, Goshiem."
"So what?"
Essah pulled out his sword. "Do not blame Resayo," he said, "for what the Old Ones had intended."
"The Old Ones are nothing more than dust," Goshiem said. "The Ka'ei will die, and the Ahkrushians will rule this world as gods!"
"Goshiem! No! Please listen!" Essah yelled as his onetime friend ran off. She carries both… Essah thought. "Queen Mother, your prophecy…"
"A daughter will kill her father to finish the end of our kind," Essah remembered her dying words. "She will end the lives of the ones that have been imprisoned, and see that no more of our blood will live in this world. Salvation she will be for those she will come to love. Goshiem will beget a daughter upon a human woman. You must not allow her to be taken back to the Ahkrushian Realm. She will not be alone in the womb. Her brother will make her life miserable. One shall not be older than the other. Both shall be salvation and destruction. It will depend upon you, Essah, which shall be."
"Old Ones," he prayed, "I won't stand for it! I won't let Goshiem destroy that woman's daughter." He stalked out of the forest. He had to get that girl away and safe from Goshiem's reach.
Akito looked at his sister as she sat looking out the window, humming the song their mother had sung to them when they were children.
Sakuro rocked back and forth, then turned to look at her brother. "Akito," she sang, "I have a secret to tell as long as you promise not to say to anyone else what it is."
"All right," he said.
"Come here, come here." Sakuro motioned to him to come over to her. He did and sat next to her. "Promise not to tell?"
"I promise."
"Good, good. The demon… he has a name… Goshiem…"
"That's the secret?" Akito looked at her, becoming more concerned about his sister's mind.
"No, no," Sakuro smiled brightly, "I'm with child."
"What?" he gasped.
"I'm carrying his daughter."
"Sakuro…"
"I am," his sister took his hands. "She's the reason why he didn't kill me like the others. My daughter will end this. She will kill him."
"And what about you?" Akito asked hoarsely.
"My time is almost over."
"No! There's a way to get rid of it. You can have your life back after it's gone and-"
"She must live!" Sakuro cried. "My daughter must survive. She'll avenge me. Promise me that you will never tell father or mother. They must not know. Promise me, Akito."
"Sakuro," Akito held her by the shoulders, "you know that I-"
"Please, brother, please?" Sakuro looked at him with pleading eyes.
Akito nodded. "I swear it."
"Thank you," Sakuro hugged. "I'm honored you named your daughter after me. And please don't forget me, brother."
"It'll be all right, Sakuro," Akito hugged her tight, running his hand over her hair. "Everything will be fine. I promise you."
The next morning, Akito went to Sakuro's room only to discover she wasn't there. Akito ran through the house, the garden, even into the village asking people if they had seen his sister. But no one had.
Sakuro was gone.