Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family Debts ❯ Part Eleven ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Family Debts
By Janime
Part Eleven
Sakuro cried out in pain and desperately bore down, in hopes to push one of the children from her womb.
Essah watched the old midwife and her daughter try to calm the poor mother-to-be - she who had the unfortunate fate at the hands of Goshiem.
The midwife stood up and walked over to Essah. "She has been in labor for two days," she said, "I don't think that she or the babies will survive this."
"They must be born," Essah said. "The Ahkrushian Queen Mother said that the daughter will end the Ahkrushian bloodline. She is the salvation. If she dies like her forty-nine unborn brothers, Goshiem will only try again."
"Does he know that she's here?"
"I don't know, Megumi. If he did, I'm sure he would've taken her by now."
"Mother," Megumi's daughter walked up to her. "She's calmed down a little. I'm going to get some more water."
"All right," Megumi nodded and her daughter left the house.
"How is Kikyo?" Essah asked.
"My daughter is still sad over the loss of her husband and baby," said Megumi. "Somehow, helping this woman is comforting her. She wants to see these children born as much as you do."
Sakuro couldn't believe that this had happened to her. The demon had raped many women before her; she had gone willingly with him to spare her brother's life, and now she was pregnant with his children, and neither of them would leave her.
Two days… Sakuro thought. Goshiem, I know I may die… but I also know that my daughter will be the death of you, your son, and the rest of your kind.
She turned her head and saw a glint of a shinny object under a cloth. Reaching out she pulled the hidden item out - it was a knife. Removing it from the sheath, Sakuro held it above her swollen belly. Then she held the sharp blade against her throat, and waited for Kikyo to return.
My daughter, forgive me for not being there for you. Live a long happy life if you can… and do not be afraid of what the future holds for you.
Kikyo entered the room and saw the knife. "No don't!" she cried. Sakuro pulled the blade across, and blood flowed like water from her throat. "MOTHER! ESSAH!"
They quickly ran to Sakuro. "Her spirit is gone," said Essah. He took the knife from her hand.
"What are you doing?" Megumi asked.
"They must live," Essah exposed the Sakuro's abdomen, and began to cut her open. "She must live!" Through the tissue and muscle, he finally reached the womb and with extreme caution cut it open. "Megumi," he said.
They reached inside and gently lifted the blood-covered twins out of their mother. Kikyo watched in horrified amazement.
"Kikyo, the blankets!" Megumi said and she ran from the room.
Megumi placed her mouth over the baby's nose and mouth and sucked out the mucous. Essah did the same and spit it onto the floor. His arms and front were covered in blood, but he didn't care. They had to live.
At the same moment, both babies started to cry. Essah laughed happily as he looked at the one in his arms. "It's a girl."
"It's a boy," Megumi said at the same time.
The Ka'ei and the midwife looked at each other and then at the baby the other was holding. Kikyo returned with the blankets and stopped, staring at the babies as happy tears ran down her face. They cleaned the babies and wrapped them in the blankets. The baby girl began to make a fuss. Kikyo took her from Essah and started to nurse her.
Essah placed a blanket over the babies' dead mother. "I'll bury her in the cave not far from here."
"Nonsense," said Megumi, "we'll bury her in our village. She lived here for most of her pregnancy; she was a part of this village."
"And what about the babies?"
"I'll take care of them," said Kikyo, "I can. I'll tell them about their mother. I learned the song that she was always singing."
Essah looked at her. He had no idea what to do with the children, but as long as Kikyo was willing to raise them - to get over her grief from her own child's death - he didn't have any other options.
"All right," he said, "they may stay with you. I'll stop by when I can and check on them. Just pray that Talpa will never learn of their existence."
"The Netherworld will never know," Megumi vowed. She looked down at the boy. "I was thinking about calling him Jinmin. What do you think?"
"It suits him," said Essah and he looked at the girl. "And her name is Parz."
"I like that name," said Kikyo.
Parz, Essah thought, will you be the salvation?
1359
"Parz! Jinmin!"
"Coming!" the twins answered their foster mother. Both ran into the house.
"I win!" Parz said, raising her hands into the air.
"You did not!" said Jinmin.
"Did to."
"Did not."
"To. To. To"
"Not. Not. Not."
"You both won," said Kikyo. "Now stop fighting with each other. It's time for lunch."
"Is Grandma coming over?" Parz asked, sitting at the table.
"She'll be here for supper," Kikyo smiled at her adopted daughter. "Jinmin, please, don't eat like that. Use the chopsticks."
Jinmin made a face, but he did as Kikyo told him.
As they ate their midday meal, Parz was looking out the window across the fields. A flutter of dark green caught her attention, and she squinted her eyes to see better. Then she shrieked happily and bolted from the house.
"Parz!" Kikyo yelled, watching the young girl run across the fields into the open arms of a man with dark green hair and scales on his cheeks and arms. "Essah," Kikyo smiled. "Essah is here, Jinmin."
"So what," Jinmin poked at his food.
"Jinmin, be nice," warned Kikyo.
"I don't like him."
"Your sister does, and you better behave yourself, young man."
The twins had helped Kikyo through her grief for her husband and child - Parz had become her morning sunshine, but Jinmin was beginning to turn into the dark of the night. The boy wanted everything his way, while his sister asked first and if the answer was no, she didn't carry on like her brother.
'Both shall be salvation and destruction.' Essah had said that was the Ahkrushian Queen Mother's last words before passing on. Light and darkness was what the twins were. Kikyo knew one day they would have to be told the truth. Parz and Jinmin knew their mother had died when they were born, but they didn't know about Goshiem. And Kikyo feared the day they would hear about it.
"Essah! Essah! Essah!" Parz cried happily, as he spun her around; her black and white streaked hair flying about, joining Essah's dark green braid. "I missed you!"
"I missed you too, Parz," Essah kissed her cheek and set the girl on her feet. "Where are your shoes?" he asked, noticing that she only had her socks on. "It'll be winter soon; I don't want you to get sick."
"They're inside," Parz answered. "I won't get sick."
That'll be the day if you do, Essah thought with a smile.
"We're having lunch. Will you eat with us?"
"Of course I will."
Hand in hand, Parz led Essah inside the house. The moment Essah walked through the doorway, Jinmin stood up and left the room, muttering that he was going to Shinta's house.
"Do forgive Jinmin, Essah," said Kikyo. "His behavior has been something to be desired lately."
"It's all right," Essah nodded to her.
The three ate lunch and talked. A friend of Parz came over and the two girls ran outside to play; Essah made sure that Parz had put her shoes on.
"I take it that this isn't a regular visit," Kikyo said.
"Unfortunately, no," Essah sighed.
"So you are going to take them away?"
"I'm afraid that I have to."
Kikyo sighed and closed her eyes. "I knew that this day would come," she said.
"It's been a long time," said Essah.
"I know," Kikyo looked at the Ka'ei. "They turned eight only a week ago."
Essah stood up and walked over to the door, watching Parz run with the other children. "Goshiem will come for her," his expression became serious. "He must not make Parz the Queen Mother. How much does she know?"
"They both know the same thing," said Kikyo. "They know that I am not their true mother, they know she died giving birth to them, and they know that they are half-human."
"You didn't tell them they're half-Ahkrushian?" Essah turned to her. "Or that their father is alive?"
"I couldn't… I still can't."
"Kikyo, I understand you love them as if they were your own, and I'm positive that they love you."
"I don't know about Jinmin - I highly doubt it, but Essah," Kikyo rose to her feet, "in Parz's eyes you are her father. I have never seen a child give someone not of kin as much love as she does you."
"I know," Essah whispered. "There have been many times I have though of her as my own."
"Call her your own," Kikyo walked over to him and placed her hand on his shoulder. "Mark her as your daughter."
"A Ka'ei marking an Ahkrushian?" Essah walked away from her. "If it was possible, I would have marked Parz the day she was born. But am I supposed to leave Jinmin alone?"
"I am afraid that he is starting to become like Goshiem, even at such a young age."
"We share the same fear, Kikyo."
Parz ran with the other children through the streets, tagging each other and laughing. Parz was in the lead and showed no sign of giving up. As the day slipped into evening, the children returned to their homes; Parz half walked, half skipped back to her house. Essah was waiting in the doorway and she ran to him.
"Did you have fun with your friends?" he asked.
Parz nodded, hugging his waist tighter. "But I have more fun when you're here."
Essah laughed and they went inside, sitting by the window. "Do you like it here, Parz?" Essah asked.
"I was born here," she answered. "I grew up here. Mother rests here. I have lots of friends." Parz frowned. "I wish that Jinmin wasn't so mean; he picks on me sometimes."
"That's natural between siblings," Essah told her.
'Her brother will make her life miserable.'
"I had a bad dream," said Parz.
Essah looked at her with worry. "What kind of bad dream?"
Parz climbed onto Essah's lap and snuggled against him. "There was a bad man," she said, "he kind of reminded me of you, but instead of scales he had lines like I do here." Parz touched the back of her left wrist.
Goshiem… Essah thought and hugged Parz. "Anything else?"
"There were others like him, and Jinmin was there too but he was lying on the ground. He didn't look so good."
"What else happened?"
"They were all laughing, and the bad man said something about you," Parz said. "I don't remember exactly, but he did say your name."
She would have seen herself be turned into the Queen Mother, Essah thought. "It was only a dream, Parz," he said. "I would never let anything like that happen."
"So this is where you took her, my old friend," Goshiem looked at the small village, and smiled. "My daughter is eight now; she's old enough to undergo the change. And you, Essah, will bow before the new Queen Mother before she rips your heart out."
Goshiem held his sword, ready for battle. He would leave no one alive here, not even his daughter's twin brother.
Essah and Parz quickly looked up as explosions and screams filled the air. Megumi ran into the house; blood ran from her forehead. "He's here!" she cried. "Goshiem is here!"
Essah jumped to his feet. "Stay here, Parz," he said. "Megumi, don't let her be taken away."
"Yes," Megumi nodded.
"Essah, wait!" Parz tried following him, but Megumi caught her.
"Stay here, Parz," said Essah.
"But I want to go with you!"
"No," said Megumi. "Parz, you mustn't."
"Essah!"
"I'll be back for you, Parz," Essah said. "I promise." He ran from the house.
"Jinmin!" Kikyo shouted. "Jinmin! Where are you?!"
Goshiem was in the village to take them away - to take Parz and Jinmin - her children away from her.
I will not lose them to that demon! Kikyo thought as she ran through the streets. Essah, please get Parz away from here!
Goshiem stepped out in front of her. Kikyo stopped; the screams and the burning buildings seemed to fade away as she stared at the Ahkrushian. Kikyo stepped back as he walked towards her.
"Where is she?" Goshiem demanded. "Where is my daughter?"
"She is not yours," Kikyo said. "She is mine. Both of them are mine. I raised them. I gave them the love their mother didn't have a chance to give them. They are mine!"
"The boy is of no interest to me," Goshiem said, "but I thank you for raising my daughter. And your reward," he stabbed Kikyo through her chest and sent a surge of lightning through her, "is a quick death." He pulled the blade from Kikyo and watched her slightly burnt corpse fall to the ground.
Goshiem walked on, killing villagers and setting the houses ablaze. Then he felt a pull, something telling him to look behind him. Goshiem turned around and saw a boy with black and white streaked hair and the beginning of a crisscross pattern on the back of his left wrist standing calmly in the midst of destruction, looking at him with awe.
It's the male I made, Goshiem thought with disgust, my daughter's twin. I should kill him now, but what if my daughter sees me kill her own brother? Then she won't come with me. And I'm tired of degrading myself sleeping with humans. He walked over to the boy and dropped to one knee. "What is your name?"
"Jinmin."
"And your sister's?"
"Parz," Jinmin said. "How do you know about her?"
Goshiem smiled. "Because I am your father," he said, feeling the words leave a bad taste in his mouth. "And I have come for you, to take you home."
"Father…" Jinmin whispered. He smiled and threw his arms around Goshiem's neck, making the Ahkrushian flinch a little but he stayed as he was.
Let him think I'm here for him too, Goshiem thought; he moved back. "Jinmin, where is Parz?"
"She might be at home," Jinmin pointed to the area of the village that wasn't burning. "Third house on the left."
"Jinmin, wait by the edge of the woods," Goshiem told him. "I'll go get your sister and then we can go home."
The boy smiled widely and then ran out of the village. Goshiem smiled and chuckled as he walked to where he had been shown the way. He had no intention of bringing Jinmin back with him to the Ahkrushian Realm. Then again, perhaps he should.
Yes, he could use Jinmin's Ahkrushian blood to destroy Parz's human blood - and Goshiem would still be alive for a short time. Then he would take his daughter to the Dynasty, swear their alliance to the Emperor Talpa, and watch Parz slowly kill what remained of the Ka'ei. A wonderful last performance to watch before his own life force released his imprisoned kin.
"Alive," Goshiem smiled wider. Yes, alive to watch the Ka'ei suffer, and Essah die like his brother.
"Goshiem!" Essah stood a few yards ahead, blocking the path.
"I'm here to claim my daughter, Essah," Goshiem said. "So get out of my way."
"That would be rather hard," Essah said, "since she is not here."
Goshiem narrowed his eyes. "You're lying."
"Am I?"
"I believe that you would."
"What you believe is no concern of mine. All I care about right now is keeping you far away from her."
"You'll have to kill me then, Essah."
"If you would just listen to me," said Essah. "Goshiem-"
"I've heard enough!" Goshiem shouted. "Tell me where my daughter is!"
"Follow me," Essah said and ran out of the village towards the woods, Goshiem chasing after him.
Parz watched from the window as Essah and another person ran into the forest. "The man from dream!" she cried. "He's chasing Essah!"
"Goshiem…" said Megumi. A terrible felling rose in her as she thought of Kikyo; somehow Megumi knew that her daughter had fallen victim to the demon. "Parz, we have to get out of here. Now."
"Jinmin's not here. And Essah'll need help."
"Essah can take care of himself, Parz. We'll find Jinmin. Quickly, get your things and let's go."
Parz nodded and went to her room. She gathered all her belongs that she wanted to take with her, then she stopped. Parz walked into Kikyo's room and pulled up a lose floorboard near her foster mother's bed. Reaching into it, she pulled out Kikyo's deceased husband's katana. Parz ran from the room, past Megumi, and out the door, with Megumi screaming her name as she ran into the woods.
Goshiem knocked Essah's sword out of his hands. Essah dropped to the ground as Goshiem attempted to strike and rolled away. He grabbed his sword and jumped to his feet.
"It would come down to this," said Goshiem. "Wouldn't it?"
"Eventually," Essah took a few deep breaths. "But it doesn't have to be this way."
"Parz is my flesh and blood," Goshiem said, "and I intend to make her full-blooded Ahkrushian. She will become the Queen Mother, and rip your people into pieces so small not even vultures will be able to find them."
"You would enjoy watching that, wouldn't you. And then what, Goshiem? Kill yourself to free the Chosen - the true destroyers of your people - and serve Talpa? If anyone displeases him, the punishment is great. I have seen many suffer from their lack of obedience."
"And how many of your people have suffered, Essah? I don't see you wearing a chain around your neck like the rest. Do tell, my old friend, any die while enslaved. I am rather curious."
Essah clenched his teeth till they started to hurt. "I told you, I did what I had to do to save them."
"I'm sure that you did," Goshiem raised his sword. "And I'm going to do what I have to do to save mine." He charged at Essah, and clashed his sword with the Ka'ei he once called his friend.
Their fight was long, using both magic and weapons in attempt to make the other fall. Goshiem grabbed Essah's throat and hauled him off his feet. Essah gasped and desperately tried to pull Goshiem's finger's away. Goshiem threw Essah and he landed on the ground, gulping for air. He looked up and Goshiem was poised to strike him down.
Goshiem smiled. "It seems that you won't be able to free your people as you had hoped, Essah," he said. "I'll try my best to remember to tell the rest of the Ka'ei you died quickly."
Something dropped from the tree behind Goshiem, and a blade went through the middle of his chest. The Ahkrushian's eyes widened and he gasped. He staggered back and slowly turned. A child, a young girl with black and white streaked hair and the beginning of a crisscross pattern on the back of her left wrist stood shocked faced and scared. Across her back was the sheath for the sword she had impaled through him.
"Parz…" Essah coughed and struggled to his feet.
Goshiem reached for her but Parz ran straight to Essah, helping the Ka'ei to his feet and away from Goshiem. They watched Goshiem fall to the ground, still trying to reach for Parz as he slowly died.
"My…daughter…" Goshiem managed to gasp out. "You…mine…"
"I'm not your daughter," Parz said and she hugged Essah.
Goshiem understood the gesture; he closed his eyes. "Blood…human child…prophecy…fulfill…" Goshiem collapsed as his breath gave out, and lay still.
Essah walked over to him. "Goodbye, my old friend," he said. Essah pulled the sword from Goshiem's body. Movement from the edge of the woods caught his eye, and he recognized the boy. Jinmin, he thought.
Jinmin stared in horror at the body of his father, then turned hate-filled eyes to Essah and ran off.
"Jinmin!" Parz called after her brother and started after her twin.
"Parz!" Essah quickly grabbed her. "Don't."
She started to cry. Essah picked her up; he cast a spell, setting Goshiem's body on fire. He waited until the embers cooled, and then carried Parz back to the village.
Megumi was there, dragging Kikyo's body with help from a man to the center of the village. Parz looked at her foster mother and cried harder. Another man came over to relieve Megumi of the heartbreaking burden.
"She'll always be with you, Parz," Essah whispered to the sobbing girl. "I'm so sorry, Megumi."
"It's not your fault, Essah," the old woman said, walking towards them. "We knew the risks."
"Grandma," Parz reached out her hand.
Megumi smiled and held her adopted granddaughter's small hand in hers. "You're going with Essah, Parz. He'll take care of you now."
"Will you come with us?" Parz asked through tears.
"I can't," Megumi shook her head sadly. "I love you, Parz. You take good care of her, Essah."
"I will," Essah promised. "Jinmin ran off, I don't know where he went. He saw me pull the sword from Goshiem's body."
"Jinmin always disliked you, Essah. Now he'll hate you for killing Goshiem."
"I killed Goshiem," Parz said tonelessly. Megumi looked stunned at the child, not believing her words.
Essah nodded. "It's true," he said. "Goshiem would have killed me if Parz hadn't jumped from the tree." Essah held out the sword Parz used to kill Goshiem. "His blood will stain this blade forever."
"My son-in-law's katana," Megumi whispered. "He did say that he would always take care of Kikyo. And if anything happened to her, he would avenge her even from the grave."
Tears started again as Megumi hugged Parz for the last time. "You be a good girl," Megumi said, "and listen to Essah."
"I will," Parz tried holding back her tears but they fell anyway.
"Take care, Megumi," Essah nodded to her. Holding Parz in his arms, Essah walked out of the village, and to an unknown future.