Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ New Family? ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The next few weeks passed by notably fast. Is that a word? Notably? Notably? It should be noted upon how about that?! Hah! Hooked on Phonics be damned! Sorry, my attentions span is that of a gnat right now. Anyway it was getting closer to the start of our school.
The orphanage tried to send all of the older children to the same high school to save time and money. Hana' High School to be exact. Apparently they had a program that allowed the orphanage to pay about half the normal price which included our classes and school supplies all rolled into a nice little care package.
Children from the age of 14 to 18 could attend said high school until they graduated and left to find jobs or colleges or whatever they saw to be fit after their high school career. A pleasant way of saying “So long and don't let the door hit you on the way out.”
Once again, sorry for my negativity. I'm excruciatingly bored right now and have been stuck in the same room now for about 8 hours. Each of us were handed a packet of information about the school that we were supposed to read and understand before next Monday.
I thumbed through the papers labeled “Fine Arts” with a pen perched thoughtfully behind my ear. Now let's see…theater? No. Choir? No. Tech, dance, art? No, no and no. Hmmm…gourmet cooking? Ka-ching. I circled the option and moved on to the athletic portion of the packets. Hmm...Soccer, volleyball, tennis, hockey, basket- yes! Swimming! I circled the word in bold ink and gathered the papers together in a neat little pile to be delivered later that afternoon, happy with my choices.
 
Sister Carla came in this morning and began to pass out supplies. It was kind of like Christmas at OfficeMax. There were six of us all together, 4 boys and 2 girls. Two of the boys were going to be juniors and the other boy and both girls were going to be sophomores. I was going to be a freshman. Huzzah! Sarcasm duly noted, yes? We each got a backpack, 2 notebooks, a 3” binder, and a set of really nice pens. I ran my hands slowly over the supplies, suddenly excited about tomorrow.
The telephone rang and Sister Carla excused herself to answer it. Immediately the two oldest boys followed her. They had this bad habit of eavesdropping on other people's phone conversations and found this one to be particularly interesting. I watched them go and smirked a little. They're going to get caught one day and then all hell is going to break loose. I leaned back against the wall and picked up a pencil and a recent sketch I'd started.
Ever since I was little I've been considered a good artist. The only problem with my creations is that no one understands them but me, except on rare occasions. But lately, my style had become very intriguing indeed. No matter how hard I tried, I always ended up drawing some weird type of armor with spiffy weapon included.
Now don't get me wrong, I tried to change it. I tried to draw a bunny one day and it ended up being super samurai bunny wearing purple armor. That was a tough one to explain to people.
I had drawn the first one about a month ago. There was no real reason for it, I just picked up a pen and began sketching. You know how sleep walkers are in a kind of trance when they wander around? I guess you could say that happened to me because I didn't remember anything until I was about half way through with the thing. Another weird thing was when I was putting my pen away, a bright red colored pencil fell out of my bag and rolled towards me. It was almost as if my creation wanted to be red. So ta-dah, it was.
The next two had come the same way. Me sitting and staring at the wall while I drew furiously for no apparent reason. Green and dark blue. Ohhh..we're working for a rainbow. The last one I drew, the orange one, I spent a good deal of time on. Not that it was hard or anything, it just seemed special…more so than the others. I felt more connected with that one than my other drawings and don't ask me why because you know about as much as I do.
It seemed that there was a whole set of these “armors.” I had the four I had drawn recently plus a few I had drawn about a year ago. I don't really remember them but I know one of them looked kind of like a spider. I think his name was—
“Hey Cye!” one of the boys called from the other room.
“Mmhmm..?” I looked up from my drawing to see him waving my over towards them.
“They're talkin' about you man!” the boy, Jared, said excitedly.
I cocked and eyebrow and stood up, walking over to where they were standing and leaning against the door a little.
For a private conversation, Sister Carla was sure talking loud. “Oh yes!” she cried. “ We have plenty of children like that! Why most of our girls are—What? Oh it needs to be a boy then?” Her tone faded a little and I thought about going to sit back down again
“Well yes! Like I said, Cye fits that description perfectly!” She cried again.
I jumped unconsciously at the sound of my name and stayed close to the door.
“That sounds wonderful! We'd love to meet them!! Yes…yes I understand. Okay, we'll come by the house tomorrow then! Uh huh, okay bye bye then!” I heard the phone click back into the cradle lightly and was immediately engulfed in a tiny nun hug.
“Oh Cye!!” She cried happily, oblivious to Jared and Cody running out of the room.
“Ooomph!” was all I could manage to choke out considering she liked hugging my trachea. God! For such a tiny nun she hugged like an anaconda.
“I think we've finally found a home for you…” she said happily, looking me in the eye and brushing hair out of my face. “We're going to go meet them tomorrow so be sure to be polite and be on your best behavior, okay?”
Sister Carla glanced at her watch and her eyes widened considerably. “Oh my goodness! It's almost 11: 45! It's time for all of you to go to bed, you have school tomorrow!”
We all nodded and Sister Carla squeezed my shoulder lightly. “Sleep well, Cye. Tomorrow's a big day.”
I nodded and walked out of the room, nervous and happy at the same time. I laid down in my bed, euphoria still having it's effect over me as I looked at my completed drawing. Light blue, that's it. I stared at the drawing for a long time. Who knows, maybe all of these are connected somehow.
I could hear Sister Carla talking excitedly with the other nuns and soon they were all in a flurry of giggles and excitement. I smiled softly. Maybe my luck was finally starting to get better..
I looked back at my drawing one last time, my eyes growing heavy. “Torrent.” I whispered softly before closing my eyes and drifting into the comforting embrace of sleep.
 
 
Will things get better for our little fish? Not if I have anything to say about!! But don't worry, he'll meet some friends along the way! But in order for me to introduce them you must review…please?