Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ First Day of School ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Anxiety is one of the worst things on earth, have you noticed that? I stayed up all night wondering about the new school and my new home that I didn't get a wink of sleep out of the deal. So here I am, sitting wide-eyed and alert, trying to look like I'm ready for the day to greet me. God I'm tired…
I looked out the window to see all of the children waving goodbye and smiling excitedly.
I smiled softly and waved back. “Bye.” I whispered softly, more to myself than anyone else.
I looked around a little awkwardly. All the other kids from the orphanage had chosen to sit elsewhere on the bus trying to uphold their status of being “cool upper-classmen.” I sighed softly, looking out the window. I think I was nervous but I was also too tired to care right about then.
Once again to emphasize my point, I hadn't realized we'd been driving for about 5 minutes until the bus screeched to a halt in front of a street corner. I glanced up as a few kids began to file onto the bus, all heading to different locations in the aisles.
A kid with dark black hair stopped in front of me and smiled, backpack in hand. “This seat taken?” he asked and I could nearly hear the smile in his voice.
“Uh…no mate.” I smiled and moved my bag over so he had a place to sit.
He sat beside me and began setting down his stuff. “Thanks a lot.” He said finally looking back up at me and he sat back.
Dear God his eyes were blue! I blinked a few times, trying to tear myself away so as not to look like a sociopath.
“You're a freshmen aren't you?” the boy asked me, apparently not noticing my staring. Or choosing to ignore it...Either or he hasn't called me a freak yet.
I laughed softly in spite of myself. “Is it that obvious?”
“Well, no, but I've never seen you around before and I've taken this bus for years so I kind of know my faces.” He smiled a little at me.
“Years? What grade are you in?” I asked carefully. Glad I didn't guess, this kid looked about a year older than me but I could be wrong.
“Gunna be a junior this year.” He replied, leaning back a little and looking at me. “Never gave you a name did I?” He held out his hand to me. “I'm Ryo.”
I shook his hand and smiled. “I'm Cye.”
“Well Cye, do you live around here?”
I stayed silent for a minute. Uhh…
“Hello?” Ryo laughed a little.
“Huh?”
“I asked where you lived, man.”
“I...uh…I don't know..” I replied, realizing instantly how stupid my statement sounded. “I'll find out this afternoon.”
He regarded me with a strange look and smirked a little. “ Ok...that made absolutely no sense. Are you moving or something? Just moved? Don't know your address yet? Cause if not you need to find out cause we fill out hundreds of papers asking those kinds of questions.”
I hadn't thought of that. Maybe they already knew from the orphanage…
“Well I mean I don't know cause I don't have a home…I'm an orphan” I said softly trying not to attract attention but also trying not to draw out the sympathy card either.
Ryo was silent for a while and I suddenly felt like bashing m head into the bus seat.
“I'm sorry if I upset you..” he said quietly, putting his hand on my shoulder.
I smiled. “Nah it's alright, you didn't know.”
He nodded and looked up as the bus pulled to a stop. The other kids were grabbing their bags and starting to leave the bus.
I stared awestruck at the massive building in front of me. “Oh my God..” I whispered before I could even stop myself.
Grabbing my bag and stumbling to front of the bus and off the stairs, staring at the school all the while, I heard Ryo call out to me before he ran off.
“Bye Cye! Good luck!!”
I nodded a little and saluted in the general area. “Yeah…good luck..”