Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ New Friends ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The counselor stared at me a long time, almost like she was sizing me up for my coffin, before handing me my schedule. She slid on a pair of black-rimmed glasses and tucked her dark hair behind her ears, tightening her ponytail along with it. “I just don't see how you're a freshman.” She muttered softly.
I wasn't really sure what to say. Was it meant to be an insult? A compliment? “Is it really that hard to believe?”
“Well, frankly, yes. I mean you look so young.”
I seem to get that a lot. I glanced over the classes and numbers on my paper, my eyes widening a little with each passing letter. Good Lord…this school is far too big.
“Uh…excuse me, ma'am? Could you possibly tell me where some of these classes are?” I knew I sounded like a kid looking for a building in the middle of downtown as opposed to a high school student looking for a class.
The counselor shrugged and turned towards her computer. “Sorry kiddo, they only pay me to answer the phone and work on the computer.”
And with that, our conversation was ended as she began to play a game of solitaire with a spreadsheet of student information under it to quickly pull up in case someone was to walk in.
 
“C campus…C campus…” I muttered to myself and I walked slowly across a large courtyard that stretched from the front office to the buildings.
I had read over the schedule at least 5 times yet none of it seemed to help in the long run. With my eyes still cast down I kept walking, completely oblivious to the person walking towards me in the same fashion.
And Newton's law states that an object in motion shall stay in motion unless met by another force. A healthy dose of physics never hurt anyone. In short, we collided.
I stumbled back and fell, looking at the person I ran into.
“I'm so sorry!!!” I cried, jumping up and running over to help him.
His books were scattered all across the ground and he smiled lightly at me. “ No, my fault.” He said softly, a hint of an accent in his voice.
I began stacking the books slowly, impressed by what I saw. Biology 3, cal-sci, astronomy AP, Government and Economics…wow. I handed to books to him, laughing a little in my embarrassment.
“Sorry for that…those are some pretty interesting classes.” I said as a peace offering. Today was not starting out good.
The other boy smiled and tucked them under his arm, running a hand through his midnight blue hair. “Yeah...kind of crammed this year.” He pushed a hat over his hair and smiled again. “Better hurry, you don't want to be late for class.”
I nodded and grabbed my stuff. “Sorry again.”
“No problem.” The blue haired boy laughed and ran off.
I smiled a little and looked down again. “C campus…”
 
I turned the corner slowly, walking into a long breezeway. 5 minutes past the tardy bell and I still have yet to find the damn C campus!!
I walked down the breezeway, once again completely ignorant to what was going on around me.
All hail Newton because he loves to jack with me. In short, I ran into someone again.
“Sorry mate.” I said laughing softly at my mistake. “ I didn't mean to hit you.”
The other boy turned and shot me a hateful glare. He stood at least a foot taller than me and regarded me as such, someone to look down on.
“You talking to me you little prick?” he grumbled irritably.
“Yeah...I'm a little lost and I was just trying to apologi—“ I never got to finish as he grabbed a fistful of my shirt and slammed me into the wall. I felt my head connect with the brick and I could feel pieces of gravel embedding themselves into my scalp.
“You little punk!” he growled and brought his face within inches of mine. He smelled like cigarettes, vodka and, oddly enough, lime tic-tacs. “ You're a freshman huh?”
I winced. “Yeah…why?”
“I hate freshmen!” The big kid screamed, slamming his fist into my jaw.
Ok, so obviously we've figured out that this is the type of person who would plan the next anilation of a race and like to kick puppies in his spare time.
Amidst my pain and I glared at him. Shut up Cye. Shut up Cye.
“You act like it's my fault I'm younger than you, you jerk! Like you were never a freshman too!” Oh hell…
His fist collided with my jaw again and I bit hard into the side of my mouth, blood instantly filling that space.
“You better learn your place and quick, you little bitch!” he yelled infuriated and got ready to hit me again.
“Hey!! Let him go Hiroto!” a heard a voice yell off in the distance. Okay, so my life is temporarily saved.
The boy, Hiroto, sneered and pulled his fist back, sending it flying towards me again.
Goodbye world. I tensed and waited for the blow but was never greeted with one. Hiroto's grip on my shirt faltered and he dropped me hard on my butt. I opened my eyes and looked up to see him and another kid fighting.
It only took one good hit to knock Hiroto over and after that had taken place he jumped up and ran off the other way. I watched him run off, stunned by the attack and by the way he had given up.
“Hey, you okay?”
I was pulled from my stupor at the site of the other boy in front of me. He was built about the same as Hiroto only a little shorter and his large eyes were full of concern.
“Do you need any help?” he asked again, his hand extended towards me.
I took it gratefully and smiled a little, wincing as I remembered exactly where I had been hit. “ Thanks a lot.” I said gratefully.
The kid smiled and patted me on the back. “Freshman, huh?”
“God!! Is it really that obvious?!” I yelled a little louder than I had meant to.
The kid laughed at my outburst. “Well yeah and plus Hiroto only picks on freshman. It's like hazing, ya know, sees how many he can get in one day? He's got like radar or something on em'. Anyway, my little wounded fish, you seem to be lost, need some help?”
“Uh…sure?” I handed him my schedule, watching carefully as he adjusted the hat that kept his blue/black hair out of his face.
After a moment, he laughed and handed me my schedule back. “It's funny what the fates decide. You have just about every class with me.”
Really? “Really? You're a freshman too?”
He shook his head. “ Nah, I'm a sophomore but the school likes to combine classes to save room.”
“Save room?!” I cried incredulously. “This school's huge! What do you mean save room?!”
He laughed again. “Actually, it's not as big as you think. Most of the school is made up of gyms and equipment rooms. Only A and C campus are classrooms.”
“Oh.” I said softly, adjusting the straps on my backpack self-consciously.
“Come on, we better get going.” The other boy smiled and patted me on the back. “Oh, and it's nice to meet you Cye.”
I stopped. “Wait…how did you--?”
“I'm psychic.” He said matter-of-factly. So much in fact that I kind of believed him. He must have noticed my blank stare cause he laughed and shook his head. “I'm jokin with you man, I saw your schedule remember? You're name's printed in big bold letters on the front. It's kind of hard to miss.”
“Oh…ok.” I said laughing a little at how dumb I must have looked right then.
“Oh and by the way, my name's Kento.”
 
 
Huzzah! Cye is making friends!! I'm so proud!