Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ Growing concern ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kento's POV
 
 
Hmm. I wonder where Cye is. I tapped my pencil absently as Ms. Hoshino called role, her voice ringing out in the room. I had heard about the swim meet on the radio last night and wanted to congratulate him but it was rather hard to do since he wasn't here to congratulate.
Ms. Hoshino turned to the board and had just begun her lesson when the classroom door swung open and, lo and behold, there was the answer to my question.
“Mr. Mouri…so nice of you to join us this morning.” The teacher said, recovering from the shock and regaining her composure. “Do you have an excuse as to why you're late?”
Cye stumbled over and produced a note, handing it to her and waiting for her approval. Ms. Hoshino read it carefully, a look of concern crossing her face briefly before nodding to him and allowing him to take his seat.
Cye nodded in return and walked to the back of the classroom, falling into his seat as he got there. I watched as he set his backpack down and began pulling out his books, his movement slow and methodical. His face looked flushed with a feverish sweat and hair fell over his bloodshot eyes like a veil. He must have noticed me watching him because he looked up slowly and gave me a weak smile.
“Hey.” It almost sounded like it was an effort for him to talk and I felt my concern deepen.
“Hey man, you okay? You don't look too good.”
He muttered something comparable to a response and rested his forehead on the desk.
I raised an eyebrow but decided that maybe by lightening the mood it might make him feel better. “So, I heard about the meet last night. I heard you kicked some serious ass! Way to go man, congratulations.”
He smiled at me weakly and nodded. “Yeah, it was a pretty interesting night, all right.”
His tone lingered on sarcasm and I began to wonder the hidden meaning behind his answer. “Cye, what's wrong? You look like hell, you have bruises all over your body, and you smell like a keg. I heard Sage found you asleep in the gym this morning. Is there some secret night life you lead that you don't let other know about?”
He straightened a little in his seat and sighed softly. “I had to walk home because my parents are out of town for the week. When I got there I found the doors locked and realized I had left my spare key here in the locker room so I came back here to get it and on the way back a bunch of drunks ganged up on me which is how I got these.” He pointed to rather ugly bruise on his wrist and collapsed back on his desk as he finished, his eyes seeking mine for approval.
“Sorry, man. Didn't mean to piss you off.”
“ No, no. It's alright. I'm not mad, I just don't feel all that great today, mate. That's all.” He offered me a small smile and sneezed, his whole body shaking with the force of it.
I nodded and though carefully about the story he'd just given me. It could fit if it was true, which I doubted. Assuming he had walked home last night he could have gotten sick and the possibility of a couple of drunks targeting him was plausible as well but I knew damn well he was lying about those bruises. I hadn't really noticed until a few weeks ago that he was constantly wearing long sleeve shirts and never allowed anymore skin than necessary be seen. It was never so much in his face that I saw it but he was always hiding a limp or a wince and would stiffen up anytime someone tried to touch him. I had begun to wonder if Hiroto had gotten a hold of him and was using him as his own personal punching bag or something but then he'd be gloating about his “catch of the day” to everyone.
“Hey Cye,” I said, tapping him lightly on the shoulder.
He looked up at me with tiredly. “Mmhmm?”
I sighed softly and looked him dead in the eye. “I'm not an idiot, alright. So don't feel like you have to lie to me.”
His eyes widened a little and he sat up straight. “What are *cough* you talking about Kento?”
“I know you're lying about those bruises, man. They didn't come from last night; you've been hiding them for a while.”
Cye glanced around nervously and shifted in his seat. “I-I don't know what you're talking about. Nothing's wrong.”
“ Cye, please.” It sounded stricter than I meant it to but I wanted to get my point across. “Stop acting like this isn't a big deal. You're getting hurt and not telling anyone about it and I don't want to see you get stuck in a situation you can't get out of.”
He coughed and mumbled something in return.
“What?”
“I said you wouldn't understand.”
I groaned loudly causing the entire class to look back at me. After they'd all turned back around I looked back at Cye. “You're right. Of course I wouldn't understand because you won't tell me what's going on and it pisses me off that I have to keep guessing instead of you just coming out and telling me!”
His eyes were wide and I wasn't sure if he was blushing out of embarrassment for the fact that I'd just yelled at him or if he was getting sicker.
I sighed and forced myself to soften my tone. “Cye, listen. You're my friend and I don't like seeing you get hurt. It bothers me and it makes me feel worse that you won't tell me who's doing it. If it's Hiroto or something just tell me and I'll-“
“No, no. It's not him.” Cye said, cutting me off and covering cough with his hand. “Look,” he said, his eyes focused on the floor and not meeting mine. “It's complicated but I swear I'll explain it all to you later, okay? I promise.”
The bell rang loudly before I could press any further with our conversation. Is it just me or so the classes at our school seem amazingly short? (Me: hah!) I stood and grabbed my bag, watching as Cye did the same, steadying himself against the desk as he stood.
“You okay?” I asked, making sure he wouldn't fall.
“ Mmhhmm…”
I turned and started for the door, shoving my hands in my pockets as I walked. “ I know I sound really nosey and irritating right now but I just hate seeing you this way.”
“ Mmhhmm…”
“I mean, it's your decision and all but still.”
“Mmhhmm…”
“Careful, you're starting to sound like me.”
There was a soft thud behind me and I turned around slowly. “ Cye are you-?” he wasn't there. A crumpled Cye-sized lump on the floor indicated his final destination and I sighed softly. “Ah shit.”
 
Poor Cye, I just can't give him break. Oh well, you wouldn't read if that was the case ^.-