Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ A little home remedy ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Cye's POV
 
 
“ Get the hell off the road, you asshole!!”
Ah…damn my head hurts. A loud honk startled me into consciousness and I was suddenly violently awake. Where the hell am I? Okay, piece this together. Honking, “road”, ow! seatbelt… “Agh!!! I'm in the back of a car!!” I jolted up only to be jerked back down by the seatbelt that was strapped across my chest.
“ Whoa, whoa. Easy there, kiddo.” A voice said from the front seat.
“ Kento?”
“ Yep.” He turned and grinned at me but then got serious. “ Lay back down before you pass out again. You nearly gave me a heart attack a minute ago.”
Someone swerved in front of us and I lurched forward, having ended up in the floorboards had I not been strapped into the seat. It was hard to tell whether Kento was a good driver or if everyone else just sucked.
I moaned pitifully and covered my eyes, trying to stave off the dizziness that was assaulting me.
“ I would greatly appreciate it if you held off from throwing up in the back seat.” Kento said, watching me from the rearview mirror.
I nodded carefully and sat up, rolling down the window and leaning outside. The breeze and gentle rocking of the car helped ease me into a state of relaxation. However, the smell of diesel made my head reel and I gripped the door tightly, retching onto the pavement that shot past us. Not that there was much to throw up, I'd hardly eaten anything in about 3 days.
Kento watched me worriedly. “ Don't worry, we'll be there in about 5 minutes. Think you can last?”
I managed a nod and kept my eyes down at the street. “ Wait, be where? Where are we going?”
“ I'm taking you to my place. I don't know where you live and there was no way I could get a coherent answer out of you at the time so I improvised.” He said, turning of the main road and exiting for the downtown district.
My body relaxed again as I realized I was not going back to my “house.” The last place I wanted to be was that horrible place and I knew I couldn't fight off Takura and Shimate even if I tried.
The car pulled to a stop in front of a short, brick building with a sign across the front displaying the word “ Faun's” in bright orange letters. Kento set the car in park and came around to the other side of the car, opening the door and catching me as I tumbled out.
“ Whoa, you okay?”
I think I nodded but I can't be sure.
“ Think you can walk?” He let go of me and I swayed slightly falling back into the seat and hanging my head helplessly. God, I felt pitiful!
Kento laughed and reached in again, grabbing my arm and looping it around his shoulders and placing his arm around my back to keep me balanced. “ Let's get you inside, hmm?”
We walked into the building and were almost run over by a group of people walking to their table. People were talking loudly and the occasion laugh was heard, everyone smiling and focused on their individual conversations. The room had a strange scent that was mix between sugar cookies and Ramen soup.
“ Kento!” A short woman with graying black hair came out from behind one of the doors in the back and walked over to us. “ What are you doing home so early? Did you get into another fight?” She planted her hands on her hips and tucked a few stray pieces of hair behind her ears.
Kento blushed sheepishly and shook his head. “ No ma, no fights today. My friend here is sick and I didn't know where else to take him.”
The woman gave me a worried, mother look and placed her hand on my forehead. “ Oh, you poor thing! You're burning up! Kento, take him to the back room and get him some of the medicine from the bathroom. I'm sorry I can't stay but it is the lunch crowd and I really have to get back to work.” She smiled at me and ruffled my hair softly. “ Don't worry, honey, you can rest as long as you need to.”
I smiled gratefully at her. “ Thank you so much.”
She nodded and kissed Kento on the forehead. “ Go on now, or you two will get run right over standing in the door like this.” She gently pushed us out of the way and went to seat a new group of customers who had just walked in.
“ Well, come on, sickly one. Let's get you into the other room.” Kento said, dragging me with him as we passed through a door, leaving the teeming masses behind.
 
“No, no, no, what in the hell…? No, no.”
Bottles. I was vaguely aware that bottles were flying past me at an alarming rate. Had I been able to feel my feet I would have run, but I found myself glued to the floor. My teeth were chattering slightly and I looked up just in time to see Kento pull out a dark red bottle from the cabinet. “ Ahah!” he exclaimed, turning back to me and pouring some of the contents into a spoon on the counter.
Hard as I tried, I couldn't contain the face I made. The liquid was a disgusting brown color and smelled like Nyquil and cod liver oil.
“ Oh, come on. It's not that bad.” Kento pressed softly, giving me the spoon.
“ You take it then.” I rasped out, wincing at how horrible my voice sounded.
“I'm not the sick one. Now either take it or I force you to take it.” I knew he was telling the truth. I also knew I wouldn't be able to fight him off either.
Taking a deep breath and holding it, I threw back the medicine and gulped quickly. “ Ugh…that is absolutely awful...! What on earth is that?!”
“ It's a kind of homemade medicine my mom's been making for years. It doesn't taste great but will cure just about anything.”
I felt my eyelids begin to fall and shook my head slowly.
“ Oh, and it's about