Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ Silent Night Kento's POV ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kento's POV
 
 
I watched as Cye stormed off quickly and sighed heavily. I felt awful. I hadn't meant anything I said and certainly hadn't meant for him to hear any of it. However, like it or not, he had heard it and actually believed that was the only reason I hung out with him. God, I'm such a dick.
I kicked a piece of trash on the ground and saw a small piece of paper flutter by with something written on it. Leaning over, I grabbed the paper and examined it closely.
“Cye's cell: 697-4480”
Well, at least I'll be able to call him later and apologize. I folded up the paper and pushed it into my pocket, grabbing my backpack and walking toward home.
 
Damn! Later was right word to use! It was almost 10:30! I stretched and pulled off the apron I was wearing and hung it on the rack next to the door. Being carefully not to trip over the cat sleeping in front of the stove, I grabbed the phone and carefully dialed the number.
After a few seconds, there was beep on the other line followed by some cussing about the menu button.
“Hello?”
“Cye? Cye! Is that you man?” I asked a little louder than I'd meant to. He sounded really tired for some reason.
“Kento, how did you get this number?”
I froze a little at the bluntness of the question. “I found it on the ground this afternoon after you heard…well, after you left…” Man, there was absolutely no way to make that sound better.
He stayed silent for a little while longer so I took the opportunity to apologize. “Look man, I'm really sorry about what I said back there. You have every right to be mad at me.”
“Well I am mad at you.” He snapped back.
I winced a little and sighed. “I know man, I'm really sorry. I didn't know you could hear us…”
“Well, it doesn't mean you didn't say it. It would have been the same even if I hadn't been there to hear anything.”
I nodded slowly, even though I knew he couldn't see me. “You're right, it was a dick-move on my part and I'm really sorry I hurt you're feelings. I can understand if you're still angry.”
Silence settled on the line for a long minute and I thought for a second he'd hung up on me. “Cye? You there man?”
I heard him grab the phone frantically as if someone had just walked in on him. “Uhh…Kento…I-I'll call you back later, okay…?” he stuttered nervously.
A wave of fear shot through me as his voice trembled on the other line. “Why? What's wrong? Are you okay?” I was starting to panic but I tried to act as calmly as possible when I asked him. There was no sense in making him scared just because I was overreacting.
“I-I'm fine…I just-…”
The sound of a door slamming open echoed loudly on the other line and I jumped, pulling the phone away from my ear a little. I heard him fighting with the phone, almost like he was trying to turn it off. More cussing about the menu button.
“Cye?! Cye, are you there?! What's going on?!” I shouted worriedly, hoping he could hear me over all the racket that was happening on his side of the phone. I knew it was serious if Cye was cussing. Cye cussing was like watching a Care bear rob a liquor store; both wrong and disturbing at the same time.
I heard something slam and what sounded like a person being thrown into a wall or the floor. My eyes widened and I gripped the phone tightly. “Cye! Answer me, man! Are you okay?!”
The noises on the other line sounded like a struggle and I felt helpless as I sat there listening. There was another loud crash and what sounded like a cry of pain and I gasped without realizing it. “Cye!!”
He tumbled down what sounded like a flight of stairs and gasped, the line going dead.
“Cye?! Cye!! Hello?!” I growled in frustration and anxiety. I dialed the number again and again, no one answering each time I tried. Shit!!
I grabbed my keys and ran to the car, still dialing and trying desperately to get a hold of Cye. Damn, I just hope I'm not too late…