Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ Healing promises ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mia's POV
 
 
“Alright, alright, alright!! I'm coming, hold on!” I cried as the loud banging from my front door continued. Slipping on a jacket, I ran down stairs, vowing to kill whoever was at the door if this was a stupid reason to be waking someone up at 12:30.
“This had better be good…” I muttered, reaching the door and preparing to pull it open. “Because if it isn't, so help me God I'll…” I stopped my rant as the door swung open. “Ryo…? What are you doing here?”
Ryo's blue eyes were clouded with a mixture of emotions that made me nervous. “Mia…we need you're help.” He said softly, glancing over his shoulder.
I followed his gaze and gasped as Kento stepped forward, cradling an unconscious boy in his arms. The same boy I had met not too long ago. “Oh my God…Cye? What on earth happened?”
Kento's voice shook as he spoke. “We…uh…we didn't know where else to go…please…”
I nodded and opened the door wider so they could come inside. “Take him upstairs, I'll get the first aid kit.”
 
Rowen let out a slow sigh and looked up the stairs, glancing at his watch. “Who would have thought we'd be doing this on a Friday night…er…Saturday morning. Man, it's almost 3:30…”
Ryo nodded. “Tell me about it.” he answered softly, leaning back against the giant striped beanbag I've affectionately come to know as Whiteblaze. The giant tiger purred thoughtfully and nuzzled Ryo's shoulder with his nose.
The upstairs door opened quietly and I looked up as Sage began to walk down the stairs slowly. He walked into the living room and collapsed into the chair closest to me.
“You alright, man?” Ryo asked worriedly before I could.
Sage nodded a little after a minute and focused his attention to the floor. “I did all that I could but I'm not sure if it's enough.”
Rowen eyes widened a little and he sat up a little straighter. “But he's okay, right? I mean he's going to pull through, right?”
Sage watched him for a minute. “I'm just not sure…I hope so but I really can't say.”
Ryo and Rowen both fell back helplessly, their entire demeanor crestfallen. The stress of the evening was beginning to take its toll on everyone and I could tell they were all getting tired.
I stood slowly and went to the hallway closet, pulling out extra blankets and pillows since it was obvious no one was going anywhere tonight. I set them in the living room and went to the medicine cabinet, filling up a small tub with bandages and other various medical supplies that we were short of upstairs and went up to the room to check on the other two occupants.
 
Kento barely acknowledged me as I walked in, his eyes remaining locked on the motionless boy in the bed. I pulled up a chair and sat beside him, looking Cye over absently.
Poor thing. He looked so small and vulnerable at the moment that it was almost heartbreaking. Most of the bruises on his face had disappeared but a few still freckled his body beneath the bandages. His entire torso was wrapped in white gauze and a red blob indicated where the beer bottle had been. Yes, a beer bottle! How sick do you have to be to stab someone with a beer bottle?!
I sighed angrily and gently brushed some hair away from Cye's face, suddenly noticing how quiet Kento was. You don't realize how uneasy that makes me. Kento was never quiet. Ever. But now he sat motionless, his eyes filled with tears and staring at Cye as if he was trying to will him awake.
“Kento…?” I said softly, putting my hand on his arm gently. “Are you alright?”
He turned his head quickly, angrily wiping away the tears that were threatening to fall. “It's my fault Mia…”he whispered brokenly.
“You can't blame yourself.” I started, squeezing his hand gently. “If anything you should be proud of yourself. You saved his life and got him away from that horrible place.”
“Yeah…but I knew…I knew what was going on and I wanted to wait for him to tell me…I should have done something sooner…Because I was being so stubborn and was waiting I let him get hurt…I should have done something…”
I pressed my hand over his mouth and smiled softly at him as he looked up at me with tear filled eyes. “Kento, I think you'll be the last to realize that your heart is bigger than your mouth.”
He sat silently for a several seconds before offering me a weak smile and squeezing my hand back. He set his attention back on Cye and I took it as my opportunity to leave.
I stood and walked to the door, closing it softly behind me and leaning into it, closing my eyes as my forehead came to rest against the wood.
“What troubles you?” a soft voice questioned from behind me.
“Anubis?” I jumped and whirled around, breathing a little harder. God, I hate it when he does that! He can get from one side of the house to the other without ever making so much as a footstep when most of the time I can't even get down the stairs without tripping all over myself.
He smiled softly at me, almost knowingly. “Torrent's physical wounds will heal quickly but the scars on his heart will may never leave. He is a strong fighter and fate is not ready to give up on him just yet. Neither should you.”
Anubis offered me another gentle smile and lowered his hat over his eyes, stepping back and disappearing into the shadows.
 
 
Kento's POV
 
Even the darkness couldn't hide Cye's injuries. I sat quietly and watched him, his shallow, ragged breathing the only thing that convinced me he was still alive.
I angrily pushed away the tears that stained my face and felt my anger build again. I felt so helpless, so completely worthless! I had known that something was wrong and I hadn't done anything! I had waited around idly as Cye got the crap beat out of him!
“What kind of friend am I…?” I growled softly, my fists clenching at my sides. “If I hadn't been so stubborn I could have helped you sooner…If I hadn't been so careless…”
Cye shifted slightly, his arm falling to the side giving me a clear view of the inside of his arm. It took a second for me to realize but there was something wrong with this picture, something that shouldn't be there.
A long, jagged scar ran along the base of his wrist making his skin paler and less smooth in that area. I stared at the scar for a long time, finding it difficult to process what it meant. Cye had tried to commit suicide?
I touched the scar gently, running my fingers along it carefully. I could feel his pulse beating softly beneath my fingers and the realization hit me harder than I expected.
“If you weren't in this position right now you would probably be worse off than any of us could imagine…”
Cye gripped my hand unconsciously and stirred a little. “Ngh…Kento…?”
I smiled through my tears and squeezed his hand gently. “Yeah buddy, it's me. Go back to sleep. I'll watch over you…”
He smiled tired and let his eyes fall closed, his body relaxing against the bed and falling into a comfortable sleep.
I continued to hold his hand for a long time, somehow not being able to bring myself to let it go. “I won't let anyone hurt you ever again, Cye.” I whispered quietly, tucking the blankets around him. “I promise.”
 
 
AGH! Kuwaii!! I love sap so I milk it for all that its worth. Let me know what you think!!