Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ Anatomy of a Breakdown ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kento's POV
 
 
The hours passed by impossibly slow and I finally pulled myself from my thoughts around 6:45. Dark red blotched stained the bandages that seemed to hold Cye together and I knew that I needed to change and clean his wounds again if I wanted them to heal properly.
I stood slowly, ignoring the way my body protested against the movement and walked for the door, opening and closing it softly behind me as I stepped out. The stairs decided to be particularly loud that morning and creaked and groaned with each step I took. Amazingly, no one woke up as I entered the living room, holding back a quiet laugh as I did.
Ryo was currently using Whiteblaze as a pillow and was almost sprawled completely on top of him. Rowen had fallen asleep with a magazine on top of his face and Sage just sat in chair looking like he could spring into action at any second.
I smiled a little and walked into the kitchen, Mia smiling and nodding at me as I came in.
“Good morning.” she greeted happily, a newspaper spread out in front of her.
“Morning Mia.” I replied, coming to awkward realization that someone else was in the kitchen with us.
I felt my eyes widen as they came to rest on that weird samurai guy cooking eggs like it was no big deal. What in the hell was going on?
“Um… what the hell…who the hell is this?” I stammered dumbly as the man just smiled at me patiently, emptying another egg into the skillet.
“Oh, this is Anubis. He's an old friend of mine.” Mia answered for me motioning toward the man.
“Uh…hi…?”
Anubis smiled patiently at me. “It's nice to meet you Hardrock.”
“Uh…yeah…” Creepy.
I gathered what it need from the medicine cabinet and headed back upstairs, glancing back ever now and again at the egg-cooking samurai.
 
I opened the door quietly, trying not to disturb Cye. Shit! If he was there to disturb! The sheets lay in a crumpled mass in the middle of the bed with no Cye in sight.
I set my stash down in the chair and began searching the room for the MIA kid.
Closet? No. Under the bed? No. Behind the door? No. Dresser drawers? Duh… No. Why the hell do people always look in the dresser drawers for something they know damn well couldn't fit in there?
I ran into the hall, panic starting to set in. Where in the hell did he go?!
The bathroom door at the end of the hall was slightly ajar and offered a pretty reasonable answer. I walked to the door and opened it slowly, stopping when I saw a pants leg.
“Cye? You okay, buddy?” I asked softly, receiving a soft sound as my answer.
Cye was sitting the middle of the floor looking like a thrown away rag doll, his legs stretched out in front of him and his hands resting carelessly in his lap. He was clad in nothing but a pair of light blue sleep pants and pair of purple gloves.
“You know, if you had to pee you could have just said something.” I said smiling gently and stepping into the bathroom so I could see him fully.
He watched me walk in but said nothing, his entire body leaned up against one of the bathroom cabinets.
“So, uh…were you planning on going skiing or something there, kiddo?” I asked, pointing to his gloves.
“My hands got cold…” he replied simply.
“Oh…of course.”
Cye murmured something softly and looked to the floor.
“One more time?”
“Why did you save me…?” he repeated, his voice breaking lightly.
“What?” I was shocked. Did he really have to ask?
“Why didn't you just leave me to die like everyone else did?” Apparently so.
I kneeled in front of him and lifted his chin so he was looking at me. “Cye, listen to me.” I said, speaking softly and clearly. “I saved you because you're my best friend and I care about you. I don't care what others have done in the past; you are my friend and I wasn't about to let you die by those people's hands. Why on earth do you think I would just leave you?”
Cye drew a shaky breath, his blue-green eyes filling with unshed tears. “Because I'm weak and worthless…I'm just a waste of time…”
I would bet my life that the reason he thought that was because of those people. Anger took hold of me before I knew what I was doing and I grabbed him by the shoulders a little rougher than I'd meant to.
“Cye, that's bullshit! I don't give a damn about what those bastards told you! You're a much better person than most I've known and you sure as hell aren't a waste of time! So don't you dare think that ever again!!”
He tensed as my hands gripped his shoulder tightly and I let go instantly. “Oh God…Cye…I'm so sorry…” I stammered, watching as tears welled in his eyes again.
His shoulders trembled once before the walls came down. Tears began to stream down his face and he hugged his knees to his chest, wincing at the discomfort it caused him.
I watched him cry and felt the same sinking feeling I'd felt last night; the feeling of utter heartbreak. I inched a little closer and wrapped my arm around his trembling shoulders.
Cye collapsed into me, sobbing fully into my shirt. His hands knotted into the material and I could feel warm tears soaking through to my skin but I honestly didn't care. I just sat there and held him as he cried his heart out.
“It's alright.” I whispered softly, rubbing small circles into his back. “Everything will be okay. Shh…”
Cye clung to me like a lifeline, the tears eventually subsiding to the point where he'd cried himself to sleep.
I didn't move for a long time, just sat there and continued to hold him and whisper soothingly even though I knew he wouldn't hear me. Finally, after a while, I picked him up and walked back to the room, laying him down and gently holding his hand so he knew I was still there.
“I'll protect you…I promise…”
 
AWW! Fuzzy feelings…Yay, it makes me happy that things are going better for Cye now.
Cye :God I hate you so much.
Me: Hey man, I could have killed you off but I didn't because you're my favorite character.
Cye: You don't show it…
Me: I loves you good