Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Insanity's Requiem ❯ Battle of Acceptance ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All the usual my friends! I don't really need this, but it's becoming almost a tradition.
 
Ok, here comes the next chapter. I can't figure out how long I want this one to be, since I already have plans for a sequel to this, which partially has the approval of my beta reader. Anyways, it's all good. I'm trying to figure out the battle sequences, so these chapters are going to be going up at random times since the hacker problem still hasn't been fixed, so yea. Well, read and tell me what you think!
 
 
Insanity's Requiem
 
Chapter 16: Battle of Acceptance
 
 
Everyone glanced at each other, smiling in relief as they traded off glances between one another. Nodding to themselves each looked back at the obviously worn girl who was sitting up next to Sage with Rowen's support. Her eyes spoke of the terror that had surrounded her world for the past week, though relief shone in her aura, as far as each of them could tell. Lena was safe, for the time being, that much she was certain of.
 
“Glad you are back with us, girly,” Kento spoke, smiling in his goofy way as his brotherly tone spoke out. Rowen nodded, “Yea, we were worried, you know. It isn't easy to sit by and watch. What did you do? Take a vacation in Hawaii before getting back?”
 
Lena smiled up at him with a shrug as she felt Sage's hand tighten softly on hers. She looked at Cye, and then focused on Sage, showing her gratitude, “Thanks, you guys. I was stuck…I didn't know how to get out of there…and the spirit said to wait after all.”
 
“What?” Kayura asked, tilting her head to the side as Sage recalled the white aura that had surrounded the person who sat next to Lena when Cye had spotted her. Lena looked up at her, “The Great Spirit. He said I needed to wait and that help was on the way. Should I be worried?”
 
`Looks like she's a little addled in the brain still…' Rowen said, raising an eyebrow as his thoughts reached each of those along its path.
 
Sage watched Lena fiddle a bit with the Jewel she kept about her neck now, its glow still in place, `Are you so sure? We all were pretty clueless the first time we got thrown into battle.'
 
`Ro just thinks he knows everything,' Kento smirked, `In reality, his IQ gets in the way of actual thought.'
 
`Did that actually make sense, mate?' Cye asked, looking up at him as Kayura glanced at each of them, her eyes shifting to each in turn.
 
`You know, as crazy as we all are sure I am, I would appreciate it if you didn't attempt to talk behind my back,' Lena's voice came on the mind link, soft and unsure. The jewel's glow grew brighter, `It makes me wonder how in the world I ended up around heroic morons and my own psychotic case. I think we all need to be locked in a thick padded room with strong muscular people to look after us so we don't cause ourselves hurt.'
 
Dais and Cale guffawed at the look on the other Ronin's faces. Lena's mind voice was dry, sarcasm dripped from it as she continued out loud, “Well, it's true.”
 
“How did you…what in the world? You aren't an armor bearer,” Sehkmet stumbled, looking over from his post.
 
Lena shrugged as a thought occurred to Kayura, speaking, “Looks like the Great Spirit has begun to meddle again.”
 
The guys sighed, knowing that they all were about as clueless as Lena appeared to be. The girl blinked rapidly, looking to each of them, resolving to ask later. Mia started laughing as Kayura relayed what had transpired in the mind link, and then she screamed, pointing up into the air. Boulders from the ceiling began to fall as flashes of wild energy emitted from the battle beyond them as they watched Ryo get slammed against the wall in a wave of fury.
 
Lena winced. She knew that the pain he felt had to be exactly what she had felt not to long ago, and this was far more real then before. The guys picked themselves up as best as they could and darted amongst themselves to block anything they could from the two women who weren't a part of the fight.
 
“Ryo!” Mia cried out, fear filling her heart. She stopped for a moment, pushing back the curiosity that made her wonder how it was possible that she was suddenly so much more worried about the leader of the Ronins. Her heart thudded with the painful realization that she didn't know what she would do without him. The battle, that which they were so sure they would win, suddenly finding that assurance wasn't so sure. All she found that she could do was pray. For once, she didn't think of age differences.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~**~*~*
 
Ryo grimaced as he hit the wall with force. Exhaustion wasn't something he could afford to think about right now despite its ever known presence in his mind. His swords of fervor lashed out evilly before him as he retaliated against Lethias.
 
`Damn…this is harder then when I fought Talpa…' He panted to himself, glaring up at Lethias as the demon smirked, sending the next wave of attacks after Ryo. His tiger blue eyes widened as he darted to the side, hearing Mia scream out to him. A grim smile lined his face as he heard it, wanting the battle to end right then.
 
“You think you can win, but I highly doubt that!” Lethias sneered, feeling as the first of the Nether spirits surged forth, surrounding his form, offering him their power, “Talpa merely borrowed these from me. In reality, they are mine!”
 
“I would be impressed…but…I'm not. You are just far sadder then I thought,” Ryo called out crying out in pain as another bolt of dark energy hit him in the torso. The strength of the blast sent him flying into another wall, the ceiling beginning to crumble about him as it fell to the floor in large chunks of cement, “Great…that's going to leave a mark.”
 
A scream sounded out from the area as his friends as the noise captured his and Lethias's attention. Lethias grinned with glee from the pain that was about to happen as Ryo shouted out in anguish. Those ceiling blocks were falling for his friends, and he wouldn't be able to get there in time, his power taken up and spent on overly foolish moves. Damn his wanting to show off! “NO!”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
The guys almost looked like they were ready to come back with some nasty replies to what was going on before them. Strike after strike, blow after blow, they were with their steadfast leader, prayers going out to him as Dais, Kale and Sehkmet all watched grimly beside them. Bright eyes and angry taunts filled the air as each dealt with the pressure in their own way.
 
That was why no one noticed it at first. The ceiling was giving way, and Ryo was going down in a battle he was ill prepared for.
 
Look out!
 
Sharp voices rang out in Lena's head, calling her attention to glance about in a wild fury. Her eyes widened, seeing the ceiling's weakness. Suddenly, she was glad she was going insane. How else would she have been able to spot that in time, if it wasn't for those little voices in her head? She thought this giddily to herself as she called out, pointing to the ceiling.
 
The guys turned to look at what it was that she pointed to, each replying in a colorful array of language that probably meant it was better that Yulie wasn't there in the first place. The ceiling gave way as the guys lunged forward into action. Dais and Kale grabbed the bearers of Halo and Torrent, as the other armored beings grasped at the other two girls. Darting forward, they landed in another area, ignoring Ryo's cry as they made their way from the battle area they were in.
 
Setting them down as gently as possible; each turned to face the battle, cursing their weakness an inability to fight this. Clenched fists and sighs of frustration came from all as Mia and Lena prayed. Mia's prayers concerned their survival, and she hoped they would be answered.
 
Lena, however, was terrified. This was her first real battle she had ever seen. The freed nether spirits already surged about the area, causing her to cling tighter to Rowen's arm. They beat at her mind, wanting nothing more then to break her defenses on the matter. They showed her images. Images of her family's death, her friends, new and old, lying upon the ground in grotesque forms, all of which blamed on her. Nothing she could think of would assuage her of that guilt as she saw another of Sage, Ryo and Mia all dying before her because of her inability to open the `gate.' After all, the spirits of darkness offered peace. It should be easy to accept it. Closing her eyes, she trembled.
 
Rowen noticed this, frowning to himself. He couldn't just shake this down to battle nerves, even for one as green as she. Her hand tightened around his arm, and the grip would have been painful had he not been wearing his armor. Glancing up, he saw Sage looking at him as well. Halo walked forward, his hand gently grasping her arm as Rowen supported the other, his eyes on the battle and confident that Sage could fix the problem.
 
Sage had recognized what was going on; her aura was reflecting the way it had been in the other realm. The difference was clear to him, since the aura she possessed was usually overly jolly and calm. Leaning forward, he whispered in her ear, “You aren't going back there. Those Nether Spirits won't get you, we won't let them. Be strong and fight it.”
 
The words sprang a wildfire of hope within her blood as she looked up, her eyes suddenly determined as she took strength from what Sage had said. Dropping her grip from Rowen's arm, her prayers began to reach as far as she could make them as she cursed out to herself. `I don't know what to do, but you won't win with me!'
 
She watched on, holding onto Sage in turn as she searched his face for what it was they should all do. He merely shook his head, “Trust in him. Trust in Ryo, in us, and in yourself. We got this covered.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Spirits and Demons alike felt the change. Winds shifted, Earth settled as fire roared out, revived. The verse's prophecy was coming true as the water which lay so calmly surged under the light which fought the darkness. The stars themselves seemed to force themselves to become bright again as they responded to the call of their spirits. Each of them rose, waiting for acceptance.
 
Demons quivered in fear. This wasn't what the demon lord had promised. Each of them had watched the spirits closely, monitoring their actions as carefully as they could. No matter what they could do, the utter calm from their mortal enemies unnerved them.
 
They waited. The spirits waited for one thing, the acceptance that the Great Spirit had promised them all. No matter what, they wouldn't fall to the evil threatening their world as they whirled about, patience becoming a commodity they felt they couldn't afford but endure. Surging forward would drive their purpose into the realms of true insanity. Moderation was called for, and it was all keyed to that.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~*~*~**~*~*~*~~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Lena's lip quivered, shaking slightly as she fought to figure out what it was she should do. She felt totally useless as she kept quiet, trying not to distract the true warriors before her. She felt small, weak, and that wasn't what she was accustomed to. Nothing ever made her feel that way before, and it wasn't what she wanted in the first place after all. Even Mia was more useful then her, and that wasn't meant to malign her. It was just meant that she did have more time at this kind of thing then Lena herself did.
 
“Oh god,” Lena whispered, “What can I do?”
 
The others watched quietly as the different blasts went by. With each hit, every slash and punch, they felt useless. Helpless to help their leader, and helpless to save the world as they needed to do. Lena's eyes clenched.
 
Child…accept your power. Accept it at last, then you can solve an answer your own prayers. The spirits are calling for you…can't you hear them?
 
Lena's eyes widened at the sound of the Great Spirit's voice. Her pale skin suddenly went slightly whiter as her brown eyes focused on the person who fought so hard before. Justice was calling to her. The powers of virtue: justice, grace, wisdom, loyalty, serenity, piety trust and righteousness. Did they truly have to fight alone?
 
No…they didn't. “I accept.”
 
The others turned to look at her. The bangs on her face covered her eyes with her brown locks. A frown lined her lips as Mia leaned forward, “Lena?”
 
“I accept it! I accept the power…the skills, the meaning. My heart is there, I want to help!” Lena cried out, shaking as her face lifted, revealing a determined mind set as powers around them surged. Nether Spirits began to retreat as the Jewel around her neck shone at its brightest, “I don't care what happens. We need the help!”
 
Rowen reached forward only to be stopped by Kayura, “She chose it! She finally accepted!”
 
Kayura's voice mirrored her facial expression as everyone turned about, feeling the earth itself begin to shake. Everyone glanced at Kento, who shrugged, having no clue what was going on. Lena clenched her eyes tightly.
 
Finally, you accepted us. Call us…we will answer…summon us…we will help you fight!
 
Lena's eyes opened, her purple aura shimmering about her closely. The various elements almost seemed to rise up, then stop, causing each of the Ronins to feel a little bit of what was going on, when it just stopped, leaving Lena standing in the place she had, a control and power in place that hadn't been there before.
 
“Good…cause we will need the help,” She opened her eyes, unsure yet knowing what she had to do at the same time as her eyes focused before her. There stood the Great Spirit with others. All around her, life force shimmered as various beings flitted about, taunting the Nether Spirits. She looked at each of the guys, who saw nothing of what was around them. Returning her attention to the spirit before her, she listened to his words.
 
Welcome to our ranks. Only you can see us…you can hear us as few can. You command out power, but you need the training. For now, let's see what will happen.
 
Lena nodded. She had said she didn't care what would happen. It just looked like she got more then she wished for. She looked over at the guys around her, her face quizzical if nothing else, “Guys? I'm going to need your help. What do I do?”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~
 
Author's Note: To add to that sequel I mentioned above, I have decided to open up a series of one shots using the characters from the story I have written. I will accept one shots from other authors as well and honestly hope that I get some. I think it would be interesting to see other's views on the characters I've used and created, since it can take place at any time, preferably a time from before or during Insanity's Requiem, though future will be accepted as well. Ideas as welcome after all. Ok, as for this story, I think it is just about coming to an end. I expect two more chapters, and that may or may not include the epilogue. Anyways, thanks for reading it no matter where you are or who you are!
 
Hikaru
 
 
Reviews: From ffnet. Thank you all so much!
 
JJ: Thanks for reviewing! I'm glad you liked it, I really am! ^^ It's always nice to have new faces tell me their opinions. I like having fresh ones with the others I have come to love seeing!