Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ To See the Light ❯ Missing in Action ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To See the Light

Chapter Six: Missing In Action

Author: Crimson (crimson@glomped.com)

Author's Notes: From this chapter the point of views will change back and forth from Destiny to Dais, because we all want to know what Dais is thinking…

--

Dais.

"The Princess is missing!" were the first words I heard as I awoke that cold, rainy morning. I couldn't believe it.

Bundled up in a dull, gray tent with a snoozing Sekhmet next to me, I threw the nearest blanket around me and dragged myself out into the frigid weather.

The moment I stepped outside, an icy cold wind ripped through me, instantly shaking any thoughts of returning to the peaceful world of dreams.

I spotted an Isisis messenger dismounting a dark blue horse, still screaming his message across to the soldiers, in search of someone in charge, I suppose. "The Princess is missing!"

Kayura emerged from a tent that exactly resembled mine, and wondered how Cale and Sekhmet could sleep through the noise. She looked a little more then distressed, but well I couldn't blame her, it was near four in the morning.

I avoided some rather large clumps of collected mud and joined Kayura as she talked to the frantic messenger.

"She never arrived in the city with the rest of the ladies last night." The dark haired, bright purple-eyed man managed to say in between gasps of air while his arms were flailing madly.

I wasn't surprised.

"Did you check the castle?" Kayura calmly asked, her hair disheveled.

I would've thought Kayura's appearance amusing, but with the circumstances at hand…

"Lady Kayura, something has happened to the castle," the messenger reluctantly stated in a whine.

"What happened?" I questioned, glancing at Kayura. She looked even more stressed now.

"We don't know! We can't get anywhere near the palace. Some magical force field is preventing anything that gets within a mile radius of the castle!"

Kayura paled and I knew she was worrying.

When she was worrying, something bad was going on.

Damn it.

"Dais, do you think the Princess would stay at the Palace instead of going to the City?" Kayura asked me.

"I told a servant to make sure she got there safely."

That didn't convince her.

I sighed, "Yeah, I do."

"We're in the middle of a war." Kayura growled.

I felt bad, like if it was my fault the Princess had stayed at the castle. I mentally cursed myself for looking bad in front of Kayura and managed to mumble, "The Princess got herself in trouble. We can't do anything about it now." I concluded more sure of myself, "If we leave, we risk giving the camp away."

Kayura raised one eyebrow, "Dais, are you sure?"

No. I wasn't sure. "Yes."

Kayura nodded slowly, I suppose just acting upon my answer, "Alright, then it's settled. As soon as we can we will find the Princess, as of now we will stay here."

--

It had been a while since I had to use the power of Illusion, but now here I was. Cale, Sekhmet, and I were fully armored, crouching behind a thicket of bushes waiting for a group of Dark Valley warlords that were presupposed to pass through this area.


We had been waiting for two hours already, and no one had even ventured into our section of the Sunstone land.

Sekhmet was becoming restless for a fight. That was evident with all the bad jokes he was telling.

And Cale, he was becoming thoroughly agitated being the brunt of all Sekhmet's jokes.

"Ya know Cale…" Sekhmet started, "That stick over there looks more powerful then your no-datchi."

Cale grumbled something incoherent, his usual, typical response.

"What was that?" Sekhmet provoked, deciding that he was tired of sitting, and made himself more comfortable by lying down.

"What I said was I might just shove my no-datchi up your ass." Cale narrowed his eyes, glaring at the bearer of Venom.

Sekhmet yawned, and didn't even bother to glance over in Cale's direction, "You fail to remember I have six swords that could be shoved up your-"

"That's enough." I intervened, tired of their incessant bickering. Even though I knew Sekhmet had never accepted Cale, or liked him that much for that matter, I had had enough.

When Anubis was leader, he would've never-

Damn, there I go again. Anubis was dead. He's been dead for hundreds of years. You think I could get over that.

A few minutes passed in silence, Sekhmet had finally shut up and Cale was eyeing the nearby forest with some interest.

I shifted my position and sighed. Waiting around for battle was never really the highlight thing to do, but out of the three of us, I actually had the patience to do so.

Sekhmet was too impulsive, he'd rather battle and get it over with then wait around for something to happen.

Cale had more patience then him, but not by much. It was obvious he was getting rather restless, but what else was there for them to do?

I pondered that for a while as time passed slowly by. The sinking sun began to turn the sky brilliant colors of orange, purple, and blue…something vibrant that we didn't get enough in the Isisis Kingdom. The two Nether moons were starting to become visible in the sky.

I was starring off, dazed, when Sekhmet spoke up, rather suddenly. "Do you think the Princess is at the castle?" the green haired man asked.

I blinked. The Princess?

The Princess. I had nearly forgotten, I guess all this time of trying to push her to the back of my mind, I was finally succeeding. But why now?

I started to worry.

"More then likely." I responded somewhat unsure of myself. I knew she was at the castle…right?

Another moment of silence, the surprisingly, Cale spoke up, "We're not alone."

I jumped up, ready for combat, and Sekhmet had the same instincts as I, ready for an attack.

Cale stood calmly, "Not here…" he looked down, guiltily.

"What do you mean?" I asked, looking around, and by the looks of it we were still the only ones in the clearing.

"A portal is open." He said in a low voice.

Sekhmet's eyes widened, "Do you think…?"

Cale nodded timidly. This was unlike his character. "I can feel it. Something different is in the Nether Realm." The warlord looked worried, "Something at the Castle…"

Sekhmet agreed and his attitude changed completely, "DAMN!" he angrily punched a nearby tree, "Damn if I'll be his little bitch again!" when he removed his fist, a large indent was now clear in the tree's trunk.

"I don't think he is interested in us anymore." Cale said matter-of-factly to Sekhmet, "He is interested in someone else…"

"The Princess?" Sekhmet asked, he stated still angry.

"We're too late." Cale flatly replied.

Then it hit me. I paled. I could feel all the color drain from my face.

The Princess…she was at the Castle…

"Dais!" Cale steadied me, grabbing me as I nearly toppled over. I hadn't even realized I was losing my balance.

"I thought…I thought she would be fine." I choked out.

"She will be." Cale reassured me, but I doubted him.

"That's right." Sekhmet added, "We don't even know for sure if she is even at the Castle. Remember that she was unaccounted for. She might even be safe at the city…"

I knew that wasn't true, I could feel the obscurity of his suggestion, but I nodded dumbly just the same, "Perhaps."

Sekhmet poked me in the ribs, "See? Her attitude has rubbed off on you."

"I don't understand." I told Sekhmet, sitting back down on the ground, weary that I might fall.

"We know how much the Princess means to you." He stated softly, following my lead to sit.

"The Princess?" I asked. Surely I hadn't let my actions speak louder then words…right?

"Your tricks of illusion don't work on us." Cale pointed out, "We know you all too well. A couple of hundred years can do that to a person."

"I do not like the Princess in that way." I heard myself deny. Things were flying by too fast! I couldn't even comprehend what was happening!

"Dais…" Sekhmet warned.

"Oh come on Sekhmet!" I blurted without thinking, "A Princess and a Warlord!?" I snarled. "That's the funniest thing I have heard all day."

Sekhmet gave me a blank stare, "I'm not laughing."

"Look at her!" Cale chided, "She clings to your every move and every word. When you're not around she's well… even harder to deal with then when she's happy."

"Cale I-"

"I know about that time she was snooping around your room." Cale firmly pointed out, "I heard your conversation. She should've been exposed, but you saved her the embarrassment and punishment." Cale paused for a second and then said in nearly a whisper, "You sheltered her."

I shut my mouth and quickly turned my head to hide what seemed like…blushing?

I could sense Sekhmet's wicked grin. Damn he grinned like an idiot.

"She's nuts over you." He told me.

"No." I stated.

"Why can you not accept it?" it was clear Cale was more agitated then before. Even more so then when Sekhmet was teasing him. "Ya know Dais, ever since Anubis died you've become even more closed off. I remember when you used to be fun to hang around with, when you appreciated life. Hell, you're immortal Dais, people around you are going to die when you live forever."

"Anubis was immortal." I pointed out.

"Even the immortals have their weaknesses." Sekhmet confirmed, "He died with honor. You should be grateful and proud."

It's not that I wasn't…It was just that…

I sighed, nearly defeated.

"Come now." Cale continued, "Do you even remember the last time you had sex!?!"

I gave Cale a look that said he was getting into deep water.

Cale raised an eyebrow and ignored me, "Now you only give curt replies, when asked. Sekhmet's jokes have become more interesting, pretty fuckin' sad if you ask me."

"Hey. I heard that." Sekhmet voiced.

Cale rolled his eyes, "Get over it Dais, is what I am trying to say. Anubis is dead. The rest of us have let it go."

"He was my best friend." I argued, trying hard not to listen to the truth of Cale's words. It hurt that Anubis was gone. It would always hurt. He was the only one who ever tried to get to know me, who ever cared.

"If the Princess is what you need to finally be yourself again, then so-be-it." Cale snapped.

"I thought you didn't like her." Sekhmet looked slightly confused.

"I don't. But if numbskull over there will stop being sulky for once, I can learn to deal with her." He thought for a moment, "Hopefully." He crossed his arms in defiance and bitterly finished, "Dais doesn't care for life anymore, and when you stop to care, you no longer have the will to live. You can not be a Warlord if you do not desire to fight, to fight for the life we have."

I felt my face grow hot with anger. It's not that I didn't want to live! Its not that I didn't care about the Princess…It's just that-

I finally snapped.

"Do you think I have never thought about her!?" I threw my hands in the air and shouted. At this point I could care less if enemies found us. Maybe I could throw my anger at them and kill them quickly, "She has constantly been on my mind since the moment she came back! Have you two even considered what would happen if I ever said anything to her!?!"

I received blank stares from the both of them.

"She would be shunned! She's a Princess of Sunstone! And I am a Warlord of Isisis. We do not mix."

Sekhmet raised an eyebrow, "Your point being?"

"The Sunstone royals would never allow it." I growled, my patience wearing thin.

Cale blinked, "You're a Warlord, Dais. And you are worried what people will think?"

"Not of me." I stood up and started pacing madly, "But of her. She is royalty."

"Why don't you let her make her own decisions, instead of making them for her. She has a head on her shoulders, ya know, and a good one at that." Sekhmet told me.

"She may be royalty now, but what about that rumor?" Cale reinstated, "What if by chance she wasn't of Sunstone blood?"

I thought about that, good and long. Hmm…what if she wasn't? Would I have a chance?

And most importantly, would I take that chance?

Was it worth it?

"She's too young." I flatly replied.

"Dais, I'm not the only one who has noticed. She may be younger, but she has matured. Nicely, in fact." I could barely hear Sekhmet's words. So much was running through my brain.

What if she wasn't royalty?

"The Princess has…always…had a well, thing for you, she's been following you around since she came to Isisis the first time." Cale continued on, "If Talpa taught us anything when we served him, he taught us age doesn't matter- and I am pretty sure you recall that Anubis was our leader. And we were his elders."

Damn. How could they turn on me? I had everything settled, planned, set. I would let her live her life as the Princess and I would be a Warlord. I was nothing compared to her. She was royalty, I was a solider…a murderer…she didn't need me in her life, she was better off without knowing my feelings for her.

Why were they trying to screw with my head? Change what I had already decided on?

Sekhmet stood next to me, glaring, but I tried not to respond to their efforts.

"Dais, she may be the Princess, but she is a person. Complete with feelings." The blue haired man was starring at me as well. Expecting an answer, I suppose.

I would've never thought Cale would be encouraging me to admit to the Princess what I feel for her, what him and Sekhmet I guess knew all along. I felt transparent. Yet again, it all made sense that Cale had a sensitive side, who would've thought, if it weren't for Kayura.

Cale loved Kayura. He had loved her for years. He didn't realize it for nearly two hundred years after the war, but he did love her. Even though he didn't dare show it in public, I knew. He always went out of his way for her unconsciously, and even though they kept their relationship secret, it was evident to Sekhmet and I.

These men had known me for centuries, and I knew them for centuries. They were my friends, despite it all, after knowing each other for that long, we must've started to understand things about one another when we didn't even realize it.

Denying my feelings for the Princess in front of them was worthless. They would always see through my illusions.

But

My weapon of illusion was always good towards her.

--

Her face lit up as Sekhmet voted to help Sunstone against the war with Dark Valley. Inevitably her eyes drifted towards me, moving up and down my body, causing me to uncomfortably shift in my chair.

I watched her. I watched as a curious blush, so faint, yet so obvious, crept up her cheeks.

Amazingly at the same time I felt mine flush as well. It stung…like fire…burning…

I panicked.

Not the best thing to do, but it had seemed so crazy at the time. Just the idea! The idea, oh the idea! What was I supposed to do? Be calm, levelheaded?

I think I would've gone more insane, if I had opted to do so.

I tried to act "normal", per say, and my plans were nearly infiltrated.

Her head was lifting, and I knew she was about to make eye contact with me. About to look into the depths of my soul…

I wouldn't allow it.

I couldn't allow it.

I was stronger then that.

I suppose I was a master of illusion because the second her eyes met with mine, her expression never changed. Hn.

There was something, something about her pleading green eyes that couldn't be denied. Mysterious and intriguing, and in a different light, mischievous and impish.

I knew what she wanted, I had the advantage. She was pleading with me to vote for Sunstone. She thought I would take pity on her, because I had feelings for her and vote…

But war led to death. And death was what seemed to revolve around my entire existence.

I was tired of death, we needed a change, and war could not change death. And I was tired of fighting.

These days I would rather give up then live another day. Just lay down my life and die, that idea seemed so peaceful and serene…to sleep forever. Like a dream I could never fulfill.

But her eyes! They were so full of life, vibrant hope! A radiance that looked so utterly familiar.

A comfort.

I did not agree with helping Sunstone. That was just my character. I had been taught all my life that you do things only for yourself and then suddenly I learned I had been wrong…for so many years.

Change was painstakingly slow and painful.

Yes, I was tired of fighting.

I would not vote for Sunstone. I would vote against.

And then she kept starring at me. Relying on me.

She was relying on me.

I am such a sucker. Just her eyes had me. I could do nothing but give into those pools of green ecstasy. She had some amazing power over me…

How could someone like her…have power over me?! She was royalty, nothing but a snobby, stuck up, traditional-

Okay, a complete lie.

But! She had been dead! That little girl I had cherished so long ago had died.

Teaching her the ways of the Nether had made me feel complete, like I had a purpose to live. And then she vanished.

She had wanted to hear what I had to say. She had wanted to listen. I hadn't had that since before Anubis abandoned the Dynasty, ditching his life as a Warlord.

Yes, Anubis had listend to me, just like she had listened to me.

He had died.

She had died.

I had looked forward to growing old with Anubis.

I had looked forward to watching her grow up.

I had wanted to teach him, teach her.

And both unexpectedly died.

But, one had come back to me. Was I granted a second chance?

I thought the one person, a little girl, who had maybe cared about the person I was, was gone forever…and then…she was back! And she was all grown up.

I thought I would never see her again, and there she was…

Taller, bolder, and in a woman's body…

She had curves!

Her crimson colored hair was long and silky, her green eyes a darker shade of green, like a forest in the mortal realm. Deep, dark, and full of secrets and life. A mystery you wanted to uncover and just lose yourself in, and never find your way out of.

She was beautiful. An understatement though.

Serene…an outline of what mortals called angels, was it?

Maybe she was too curious for her own good, though, the only drawback I could think of. Thinking about that though always put a smile on my face.

She was different now, yes she still reflected that little girl who was so bright eyed and full of questions, but she had considerably changed.

Her moves were subtle, she observed before she acted…well, most of the time. She had a hot temper when she wasn't looking though I know, she would deny that.

She was so smart now. In fact, I think she was smarter than I.

I remember the mortal realm, though my memories clouded. I had merely spent twenty or so years there, my childhood, if you could call it that. I was so uncomfortable there, always feeling out of place- abnormal. I didn't belong, and I know that now.

Yet she had mastered the realm, being raised here, gained extensive knowledge and conquering the way of life I could never grasp.

When Talpa invited me to be immortal in this realm, I knew what I was about to do was wrong, but I hadn't cared. I was being welcomed, it was comforting at the time, and it had felt right. When I arrived here I was at ease, like I was meant to be a part of the Nether Realm. And I was accepted.

Watching her, wide eyed, she resembled that little girl from so long ago. But I knew the difference. Underneath she was a cunning, manipulating woman who…who I could fall for, in a heartbeat.

She had something over me, I don't know what, but she would always have it. Whether she knew about it or not- didn't matter. I was still weary about that, and to a point it scared me.

I could do nothing but give her what she wanted.

I stated clearly as I raised my hand to vote, "I also vote we should favor Sunstone, so that will put Isisis in the war."

I saw her face lighten up instantly and her eyes glow.

Stupid, stupid, stupid fool! How could I let this naïve Sunstone Princess control my decision making process? I couldn't let myself be weak because a pretty girl bats her eyes in my direction.

Was that a lie? She meant so much more to me than that…

My mind experienced conflict. It couldn't figure out what I really wanted… it seemed I wanted my sanity, yet I was just out of grasp's reach.

Did she always have to look so happy to get her way? To drag it out of me, so that I was black and blue all over and regretting ever have given in?

"Thank you Dais, this means a lot to me." I heard her say.

I usually knew what I wanted. And I was stuck.

Except…

I remember…

The time…

When Anubis became the Ancient's apprentice and I had finally worked the courage up to confront him. To know why he had betrayed the Dynasty.

Why he had betrayed me.

I attacked without thinking, jealous that he no longer was on my side, jealous he sided with my enemy.

Blinded by rage, I was an easy defeat.

He had won. I was ashamed. I was a failure to the Dynasty.

Yet Anubis didn't strike me down, instead he had the nerve to…

He pitied me.

Anubis pitied me.

After that incident, I was barely able to pick up my missing helmet and put the pieces of my life back together. It took me hours to finally decide to return to the Nether Realm.

But I had no other place to go. The Nether Realm was my home. The mortal realm shunned me.

My lack of discipline was disappointing. Did I always lash out at the cause of my problems- even though I knew it was wrong?

I suppose even with change, you couldn't alter what you really were.

Afraid of reality.

I sneered, trying to profusely push my feelings aside for her, "Princess, I did not vote in favor because of you. I hope you realize that."

I saw her facefault, and quickly stare at the floor. "Of course." She managed bravely.

I shouldn't have lashed out like I did, but she had something over me.

She shouldn't have had that power.

But all the same she did.

She was a fighter, I knew that.

And I would show her that I was a fighter as well.

--

to be continued…