Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ To See the Light ❯ In the Mist ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To See the Light

Chapter Seven: In the Mist

Author: Crimson (crimson@glomped.com)

--

The night had come fast…

The bright stars of the Sunstone night sky twinkled magically, but that was the last thing on my mind.

In the morning, as planned, Kayura, the warlords and I, plus a mix of Sunstone and Isisis warriors were to return to Isisis Palace and force our way through the blockade.

I wasn't comforted though.

I was alone in my tent, tired of listening to plans and decided to retire early. Thus surprising Kayura, for I was normally the last one to bed. But so much was on my mind.

I was a lifeless blob right now, starring off into the dark sky.

I had put no effort or thought into our upcoming plan of attack.

I needed peace, not war.

Wrapped in blankets, I could still feel the cold air in my sanctuary. I had always hated Sunstone's temperatures, usually below freezing when Isisis was a constant 60 or 70 degrees.

I tried to keep my mind from drifting into what seemed forbidden territory. I couldn't even sleep- much less eat, if I thought about her any more…I think I was going insane.

So instead I tried to think of anything but her. For instance…the clear night sky…

The fuzzy peach colored blanket wrapped around my body.

The zipper hanging from the flap of the tent.

The uh…the…

Thank God for distractions!

I heard rustling of the tent being opened, and I quickly closed my eyes. I knew it was Sekhmet, that much was obvious, but I didn't want to deal with him- or his questions and comments concerning the Princess. I closed my eyes and hoped Sekhmet would leave me in peace.

The rustling became louder and I heard the distinctive zip of the tent closing and I was no longer alone.

"I know you're not asleep." Sekhmet announced into the cool air.

"Hmmm…so I'm not."

"Are you still sulking about earlier? Hiding the truth, or have you learned to accept it yet?"

I didn't answer him.

"I see." Sekhmet thoughtfully said, then let me be. "Good night."

--

Destiny.

Fog completely covered my home realm, which wasn't unusual for this time of the year. The temperature I guessed was around 30 degrees or so, but I was used to it. So many years I lived here…and now being home, I finally had a purpose.

I had wanted a purpose, yearned for a purpose, for so long! For what seemed like an eternity! I needed a purpose and now that I held one in my grasp I felt all giddy inside. Much like a lovesick schoolgirl.

I could sense their presence now. I was coming closer and closer to them. Their powers were valorous but mine was extraordinary. My senses perked up considerably, yet I could feel no guards.

Hn, so they had chosen the clearing near Terra Forrest. Fitting…yes…a fitting place to die.

I withheld the giggle that I wanted to vocalize, but to give myself away now would not be wise. Plus what was the fun of a surprise if it wasn't…a surprise?

Besides, I didn't dare do anything to upset my master. My master's happiness was my happiness.

I crept around a set of trees and…BINGO! I found the camp.

And what a sad, little camp it was. With cramped identical blah gray tents lined up in a row upon barely dry patches of mud. Horses littered idly, pawing at the ground- restless.

Ah, so they felt my presence. Pathetic. The animals were more aware then the beings. A hurricane could've passed through here and they wouldn't have noticed.

The temptation to giggle was becoming much stronger, harder and harder to suppress. This was going to be so easy!

I grinned.

It's going to be harder then you think. I heard my Master's servant Badamon mentally tell me.

They are three weak warlords that haven't experienced true battle for centuries. All we need to worry about is the Ancient's staff the girl carries. I replied in my head.

Watch yourself, Princess Destiny. We can not have Master Talpa's prize possession damaged. You are essential to our future.

I understand. I will try my best and accomplish what needs to be done. I beamed. I was Master Talpa's prize possession.

I crept lower, among a thicket of dense bushes. Hiding in the brush.

I still thought this was going to be a snap.

I felt my body connect with my kingdom, something I hadn't had the pleasure of that in what seemed like forever. Powers erupted inside of me I never knew existed. It felt incredible. Like something bursting inside of me that felt…well, unimaginable.

I imagined the fog thickening over the camp, and when I opened my eyes my vision had come true. I smiled openly, ecstatic. The massive power flowed through me, filling my veins like a drug. A drug I craved and was addicted to, yearned for. A sweet, sweet drug I could never get enough of.

The low cloud was now so dense I could step into the camp without even being noticed.

Now the real question was to do this 'drama queen style' or silently make my presence known.

I contemplated for a split second and shrugged.

I was a Princess. I was never rude.

--

Dais.

Sleeping was pointless, and Sekhmet's light, okay light was an understatement, snoring wasn't helping. I was just glad I wasn't bunking with Cale. I was surprised I couldn't hear him from where I was.

I crept quietly out of the tent, zipping it up hastily, careful not to wake Sekhmet.

The moon up above was shining in the sky, but oddly enough the light could not reach me. I was surrounded by thick fog.

The entire camp was.

Fog was normal, I knew, especially in Sunstone, but there was an edge to it… was something up? Or was it my imagination-

I couldn't tell. I couldn't tell what was reality and what represented nightmares.

A nearby soldier's horse was pawing perilously at the ground. He was nervous.

Maybe something was wrong.

My powers never were real keen on detecting the presence of someone nearby or figuring out what the unsettling feeling in my stomach was. That was Cale's specialty.

I proceeded with caution until I heard a familiar voice.

"Hello, Dais."

I nearly lost control. I knew who that was! "Princess!?! Where are you!?"

She seemed to hesitate, before she answered, "I'm here Dais."

I thought I heard her to my left and I started jogging. She was okay! I hadn't messed up! Could I fix things? I was going to try.

I kept jogging, but I soon realized, she wasn't there.

Did I miscalculate? No. Her voice came from the East!

"Dais?" came her voice again.

"I can't find you!" I cried helplessly into the clouded night sky.

"I'm here!" her voice sounded like it was coming from all directions. Her voice sounded urgent.

I silently pleaded the fog would life, but it showed no signs of disappearing. In fact, it seemed like it was getting thicker. If I had a knife I could cut into it.

"Dais?"

"Princess!" I shouted and frantically searched all around for her. Everywhere I looked there was nothing- she wasn't there! And the fog…it was coming in more.

"Dais!"

My eyes widened and I desperately ran in the direction where I thought I heard her voice, once more. Still, I didn't find her. I changed directions and kept at it, but nothing! This was some kind of horrible dream…no, a nightmare! A nightmare I couldn't awaken from!

I felt like I was running in circles, going nowhere. And I didn't doubt it.

No! No! She was here, and I was going to find her! I wouldn't let her go…never again. Never again, I wanted her…

Damn it, I wanted her.

You happy now Sekhmet? Cale?

I need her. I need her, and I was going to find her.

"Princess, I won't lose you!" I cried out, puffs of cold air coming from my mouth. The temperature was dropping as well.

"But I'm already lost…" she answered in a whisper.

I stopped running. "You're not lost! I just need to find you!"

"Dais, I'm lost. I'm sorry, but I'm lost."

Then… I could've sworn I heard sobbing.

My heart stopped.

"I'm lost." She repeated in a sniff, "I'm lost…I'm lost…I'm lost…" she kept repeating it over and over again, each time it stabbing me harder and harder into my chest. By now I was frantic.

"Where are you!?!" I shouted, "I'm begging you, tell me!"

"I'm lost."

"NO!" I nearly screamed, barely able to control and contain my emotions, "Where are you, PLEASE!"

Out of the pitch black sky a shriek. It was her, she was screaming into the crisp night air.

I panicked. Luckily a pair of hands grabbed me and pulled me backwards. I turned, hoping desperately for it to be Destiny, but it was Lady Kayura. And behind her was Sekhmet and Cale, in their subarmor!

Apparently I had missed something.

"Can't you feel it?" Kayura whispered through her teeth urgently, "Something evil is here." She held the Ancient's staff and I knew she meant business. Holding the golden pole into the air the fog avoided its glow like the plague.

"Let this evil be gone!" Kayura shouted and the staff went into effect. The light brightened and spread like a summer breeze into a windy winter storm. It picked up blowing a path completely free of the fog.

"I should've known." A voice, her voice…but not? "Should've known you'd be the one to ruin my fun. What a bore, oh well. I suppose delaying the inevitable is pointless. You will die."

I did a double take. The fog had cleared…it had cleared a path and at the very end of it, stood the Princess. Oh God, the Princess, like I had never seen her before.

Her crimson hair which had always been straight was spiral curled just flowing freely around her face. Two swords were clipped to a dark belt and she wore a pale green see through shirt with a pearl white skirt. Her eyes were not right…though…the same color, but not right.

I spoke up blindly, not wanting to believe-

The Princess smirked and the rings around the Ancient's staff started to clang madly.

"Princess, are you alright?" I asked still not believing my eyes.

She stepped forward, still too far away, "Dais, you are mistaken. The question worded right would be- will you be alright after I am done with you?"

Kayura held out the magic staff, ready to fight, "Are you challenging the four of us, Princess? Because if you are, you know that you are no match. It is suicide."

The Princess stopped but didn't step backwards, "I think you underestimate me, Kayura."

"Princess, stop! What has gotten into you!?!" Sekhmet demanded.

I watched, horrified, as the scene played out before me. Kayura barked orders to Cale just as it happened.

I almost missed it. She was fast. Faster then I ever thought she would be, that she could be, that she possessed.

The Princess knelt, and then in a blink jumped quickly into the air- high. She called out and closed her eyes tight, bringing her two swords together to circle around her form, from her head to her feet.

Tiny stars seemed to flash for a split second as she summoned, "FEEL THE CRY OF THE HEAVENS! STAR SWORD SCREAM!"

My eyes doubled as the sure-kill hit, surprising me so. It struck down where Kayura had been standing. I thought she had managed to get out of the way, but after I had safely dodged the attack, I looked back to see Kayura struggling to get up. A rather large pool of her blood around her.

In an instance Cale was by her side, her leg a serious mangled mess, blood dripping freely down to the ground.

"You might've recognized that, especially you Kayura. Do you doubt my abilities now? Or shall I give you another demonstration?"

I felt so powerless. All I could do was watch. Watch, helplessly.

Had she always had this power? And why was she attacking us?

Sekhmet bravely stood up to the girl we once knew as a pacifistic Sunstone royalty. "Why are you against us Princess?" he called out.

The Princess starred at Sekhmet as if he was crazy. "Don't you understand?" she stated wide-eyed, confused we didn't know.

"Understand what?" Sekhmet continued, "We have done nothing to offend you. We took you in and-"

"Don't bother." Kayura interrupted, "I can see what she is."

Sekhmet, Cale, and myself turned to Kayura, wondering what she meant by that. The Princess watched, an amused expression upon her face.

Kayura faced the Princess and finished, "She is what I once was. Talpa's slave, she bears the evil of the Star Swords."

It made sense, oh did it make sense. My attention was then diverted back to the Princess.

She shrugged, as if she was apologetic, "My Master bids you farewell as his descent into this realm is almost certain."

"If Talpa isn't here yet…"

"He will come. Do not doubt my Master's abilities." She snapped.

"Princess, we were all servants of Talpa. Do not fall for his lies and empty promises, you will gain nothing being his puppet!" Sekhmet spoke.

The Princess seemed to be evaluating what Sekhmet had stated.

"It took the death of one of us to be convinced we were wrong, that Talpa wants only his happiness." I finally spoke up, hoping it would change her mind.

She turned to me, "You can not change my decision, Warlord. I have served Talpa for thousands of years and it will continue that way." She reached for a sword and the moonlight hit just perfectly so that it flashed when she twirled it.

"Badamon…" Cale accused, standing and protecting Lady Kayura.

The Princess gave a hideous smile, "You are smarter then you look, Corruption." Her eyes flashed red and I recognized the gleam in her eyes.

I flushed, angered, "You foul Nether Spirit!" I spat. Badamon had been the cause of Anubis' death, "Leave her body at once!"

"No." the Princess/Badamon stated, "She belongs to Master Talpa, we know of her powers."

Sekhmet joined me at my side, as we starred longingly at the once pacifist Princess, "She's being pumped full of negative Nether energy. We must break this from her before it effects her completely."

I nodded.


Cale ran and caught up to us, "This is serious." And by that statement, Sekhmet and I both knew exactly what he meant.

"ARMOR OF CORRUPTION!"

"ARMOR OF VENOM!"

And finally I called out, "ARMOR OF ILLUSION!"

Then the sensations began. I felt the maroon light absorb me, and then reverse, it absorbed into me. I grunted at the all too familiar pain, tiny little needles pricking me, that is at first.

My body armor formed around my middle, then up my legs, and then moving to my arms. When my helmet formed the pain became unwavering, if the needles were embedding into my skin, burning like a raging fire that could not be tamed.

Yet just as fast as it started, it ended. When I stood there I felt the need to battle pump through my veins, boiling…over and over again.

The light had faded and cherry blossoms fell innocently around us. I disregarded them; they were nothing but nuisances at the present moment.

But she had found the petals off the flowers extraordinary. She watched them as they hit the ground and instantaneously dissolve into nothing.

"Exquisite." She murmured, "It's a pity I was sent to kill you. However your armor will come to be in my hands."

"Talpa is still after our armors?" Sekhmet snorted, "Disgusting."

"You think he'd find something better to do after all this time then go after something he will never have." Cale said in full armor. He was always so cocky…

The Princess/Badamon laughed, "You fail to remember the Ronins defeated Talpa. You three on the other hand contributed to the problem. Even Anubis was fighting on the right side, but you did nothing until it was too late."

What Badamon had said was indeed true, but now was not the time to lower my head in shame.

I saw Cale's eyes narrow dangerously, but it was Sekhmet who spoke up.

"Let the Princess go, leave her. She does not wish to be a part of your evil plans."

"Maybe so…" the Princess/Badamon rebutted, "But she is essential."

"WHY!?" I called out angrily.

Her head snapped to look at me directly, "Because…" the voice of her and Badamon overlapped each other, "She's not who you think she is."

That left us stumped and I watched with worry. We needed to get Kayura out of here. Fast.

"Isn't it painfully obvious who she is?" the Princess/Badamon continued on pacing, "Doesn't she remind you of someone?"

Fear rose in my eyes as flashbacks haunted my memories…

No…No…No…it couldn't be true! It just couldn't!

He was the only one who listened and cared- She was the only one who listened and cared.

I watched her as she was absorbed in starring at him… "You know…" I told her, "That's my favorite statue."

She continued to stare at it and I could feel some kind of connection between Cruelty and the Princess of Sunstone.

"Have you no manners, Princess?" I hissed as she stood there caught, her eyes wide with fear and guilt. "I'm…I'm sorry Dais. I don't know what to say." She barely whispered. I reached back and slapped her across the cheek. And the moment I realized what I had done, I cringed. I had lashed out at her, like I had once been teaching him.

"Well?" Badamon's voice as louder now, "Doesn't she?" using the Princess' body to come closer to me.

Sekhmet and Cale looked at me, waiting for the answer.

"Who?" Kayura shouted from behind us.

"Let me refresh your memories." The Princess' voice returned, "She is of mortal and Warlord blood… you don't think that rumor started for nothing. The rumor is true…"

We gawked at the Princess, waiting…

She continued, laughing, "The daughter of Anubis, the leader of the Warlords."

--

"The daughter?…of Anubis?" I heard Kayura gasp.

The Princess grinned openly. Badamon had finally thrown the secret into the open.

"Mia Koji!" I whispered under my breath. Finally all the pieces of the puzzle began to fit into place. She was the daughter of Anubis and Mia.

The Princess began to laugh hysterically, "Yes…her mother was Mia Kojim unbelievable isn't it? Yet her powers are quite impressive, for being the offspring of a mortal."

She wandered passed me, ignoring Sekhmet and I and disregarding Cale completely. Her eyes were upon Lady Kayura, "You, my dear, shall be the first one to die at my hands. The last descendant of the Ancient clan, the first sacrificed to Master Talpa in this generation."

Kayura struggled to stand, wobbling as she did, "I am giving you your last warning Badamon. Leave her be."

She chuckled lightly, "No. She is mine." The girl reached for the Starlight Swords ready to put an end to Kayura, when her plans were thwarted from behind.

Cale awkwardly pushed the Princess away from Kayura. Anger flashing in his normally cool blue eyes. "You will leave her alone, she will not die. Not while I'm alive."

"Cale! Be careful!" Kayura shouted.

The Princess promptly gained her balance back, not even faltering, she raised a skeptical eyebrow. All traces of Badamon's voice gone from her mouth, "You wish to die before Kayura? Suits me fine." The swords were removed in a blink of an eye, and upon Cale.

She was quick, in fact faster then I could believe. She slashed at Cale's armored chest, jumping back just in time to avoid Cale's no-datchi being pulled sloppily from its sheath.

Corruption groaned in agony as a hand went to his chest, "You'll pay for that! Princess or not!"

"CALE!" Kayura called, but he ignored her and went to take his revenge.

Cale attacked.

As Kayura had just done, I called out trying desperately to change Cale's mind. "NO!"

The loud striking of swords clashing erupted into the frigid night air. I tried to stop myself from watching the two, yet I couldn't help starring. I gawked, in fact, watching the beauty of the classic clash between good and evil.

Startling, the Princess was actually blocking every strike Cale threw against her; within a few minutes she was taking offense positions and lashing out herself. She kept up as if she had been fighting for centuries.

It was amazing! Knowing that Cale had been a Warlord for hundreds of years, in so many wars, been in combat what seemed to be like forever. She, I knew, I had never been in battle. Hadn't even watched a true battle.

Yes, Badamon was probably enhancing her skills, but it was the aura of her fighting performance. She kept with Cale, she never missed a beat, which by the look on his face was wearing the older man down.

Not to mention that Cale was wearing Ronin armor and she was not. She clearly had the disadvantage, but the way things were going, she was winning.

"You think you can defeat me, Warlord? I have only just begun." She taunted.

Cale didn't answer her, but kept throwing himself into the battle.

Minutes passed and they continued, full throttle, never letting up on each other. Their pride in both souls kept them from the use of sure-kills. Instead using only their weapons, their strength, and their fighting will.

They kept at it.

Kayura, Sekhmet, and I continued to stare in bewilderment, but fearful of Cale's health. The blue haired man was evidently losing now, no longer attacking, but blocking. Sweat dripped down his contorted face, his concentration preceding him.

Thereupon the dawning of the conclusion began.

Cale struck at the Princess, barely missing an exposed arm. She dashed aside, wisely avoiding the blow. Yet, the key to what she had really done didn't strike me until the next minute…

When she jumped away, she brought down her swords upon reflex. Colliding the dagger like points with Cale's right shoulder.

He didn't have the time nor die he expect the blow, but it hit him. Dead on.

He cried out, falling back upon the dirt, writhing from the deep slash.

She, on the other hand, stood there watching him. No sign of guilt. "Oh. Did that hurt? Ah, poor, poor Cale. If you give me your armor I might take all the pain away, that is if you do it without hesitation."

"Fuck you!" Cale cursed, managing to get himself up to glare at the Princess.

She shrugged, "No thanks. I've had better offers." She laughed, "You do realize that I am going to take your armor any ways, don't you?"

"I can not let you do that, Princess.' Sekhmet spoke.

She whipped around and was three feet away from the Warlord of Venom, "You want to try me on for size? I'd be more then happy to wrap my fingers around you. Your neck, that is."

I cringed at her words as Sekhmet took out two of his venom kitanas, "Poison can eat away at Stars." He snapped.

"Stars are balls of fire, poison can only make fire stronger. I am sure you learned that with Ryo of the Wildfire." She replied, abandoning Cale's distressed state, turning her attention to Sekhmet. "I'm always up for the challenge…"

While she readied herself against Sekhmet, Cale behind her back managed to get up and with his good arm, held out his no-datchi.

The two of them were going tag team the Princess.

She, unknowingly, advanced towards Sekhmet unaware of Cale behind her.

"Princess! WATCH OUT!" I blurted.

She turned her head to see Cale scowl with disgust, "Just who's side are you on Dais!?!" he snarled.

"Two against one, what's a girl to do?" she paused, "I suppose kill the both of you at the same time?"

Sekhmet chose that moment to attack. He shot forward, kitanas in front of him, but she was too crafty. She jumped up into the air, dodging him.

And she stayed like that. Just sort of floating…looking down upon the two.

Then it dawned on me. She was going to use her sure-kill!

NO! My mind screamed. If it hit Cale, he wouldn't survive, he was already severely wounded.

I ran forward blindly, without thinking, and pushed both of them to safety just as she called out, "STAR SWORD SCREAM!"

--

Time altered. Everything seemed to be in slow motion.

I looked up to see the Princess in concentration, hovering several feet above me. Stars twinkled madly…brilliantly, in the dark sky.

It was so beautiful…so, so beautiful…

But beauty couldn't last forever.

Huge, massive, gaudy, blazing bolts of light exploded from the heavens and rained down upon me.

Then pain.

Excruciating pain.

Everywhere…it felt as if all my bones in my body were breaking, one by one. I couldn't scream, I couldn't move, and it felt like it would never end.

Colors flashed before my eyes and that's when I was sure I wouldn't survive to live another day.

A breeze.

A breeze?

A breeze!

Yes, it was a breeze! A breeze brushed passed me. I guess it had ended. Yet, it was bound to. Sure-kills didn't last forever.

It was astounding, unthinkable, but I was still standing. I didn't even know how. I blinked my one eye, but nothing I saw registered to my brain.

All I could concentrate on was the pain flowing through my body. I suppose my knees went weak. Right then it was beyond me that I even had knees, I could care less.

My body fell forward and I collapsed.

I heard voices as my impaired vision began to fade in and out, and finally blacken.

"DAIS! Quick we gotta get him outta here!"

"What about the Princess!?"

"She's not going to attack right now. Hurry. Before she changes her mind or Dais dies on us."

--

to be continued…