Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ To See the Light ❯ Losing the Battle ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To See the Light

Chapter Eight: Losing the Battle

Author: Crimson (Crimson@glomped.com)

--

I found myself in bright sunshine. Yet it was nothing like the Nether suns, it was much brighter with concentrated light.

I basked in the warmth of it, just soaking in the rays, sprawled in…

My hands touched something soft, and almost wet…

Grass?

I recognized the green blades of vegetation immediately. The Nether realm had no such thing as grass.

This had to be the mortal realm!

I sat up realizing for the first time I was in a park of some sort. Assortments of mortals wandered around me, oblivious of my presence, as if I belonged there. Couples held hands, parents watched their kids play, teenagers mingled with their friends…it was a place of contentment.

I could relax.

I felt at ease and sighed, closing my eye just slowly taking in my surroundings.

"Dais!"

I popped my eye open to see the source who was calling my name.

"Dais, silly, I'm over here."

I turned to see her standing there with a smile on her face and her green eyes gleaming at me. She wore a simple sundress with her hair pulled up in a delicate twist. I noticed everything about her, every detail all the way to the small, elegant diamond earrings in her ears.

"Destiny, where have you been? I've been waiting all afternoon for you. I was getting worried." I heard myself say. My words echoing in my head…

She cocked her head to the side, amused, "This is New York. There's something here called traffic."

"Oh." Then "OOF!" as she jumped into my arms, wrapping her body with mine, as if we were one.

I laughed as she planted a kiss playfully on my nose.

"I love you Dais. Don't ever let me go."

I wrapped my arms around her tighter, determined to keep her forever, "Trust me. I won't."

--

Rain started pouring down. Hard. It was pounding into my eyes so that I could barely see the battle before me.

The two were at it again.

"Princess, please!" I tried to stop them for the thousandth time.

She ignored me and brought her Starlight Swords upon Cale.

"NOOOOOOO!" I screamed and ran forward. I threw myself to block the attack from my friend, my comrade.

He shouted, "Dais! No!" but it was already too late.

The blades dug into my skin, the metal eating at my flesh, and I could feel the fresh flood of crimson liquid rush down my chest.

I gasped for air and choked out, "Destiny!"

She stopped dead in her tracks, yet she didn't remove the swords from me and just starred. "Maybe it's better this way. Dais."

--

I awoke with a start, sweat dripping down my forehead, and instantaneously regretted it. The pain was grueling and I could feel my head pound every time my heart beated.

My hair was matted to my face and I felt horrible.

I lamented as I remembered what must've been my dreams- no beginnings and no ends. What could they both mean?

I opened my eyes to be burned by the rays of sunshine pouring in from a nearby window.

What a way to be greeted.

"You're awake." Came a deep, hesitant voice. No 'Dais you're alright!', or 'Dais how did you survive?'…just a plain 'You're awake.'

"Am I alive?" I mumbled, tugging on a sheet to try and cover my eyes. The sun was so intense.

Quickly, elegant shades were pulled over the window, "Gomen, Dais. The sunlight is suppose to be good for those who are fatally wounded."

"Thanks." I sarcastically remarked. My eyes adjusted to the light slowly and the blurs of shapes began to become set images, "Where am I?" I questioned, finally recognizing the man in the room with me.

Prince Drey.

Oh goody.

"The Sunstone Palace." He answered rather roughly.

"Your highness?" I questioned.

The Prince began to pace around the room, his brow furrowed. I watched as he walked back and forth, back and forth, never really looking at anything. And what an angry expression on his face he sported.

"She will never be able to come back here again." He snarled.

I sat up as much as I could which caused a jolt of pain to run down my spine, "You can't be serious?"

The Prince looked at me right in the eye, frowning considerably, "I'm dead serious, Dais."

"Well then…" I huffed, "The Sunstone people are truly selfish and inconsiderate. Not to mention wretched." I sneered, quite disgusted.

"She is of Warlord and-"

"No shit." I cursed, tired of all the so called proper and distinguished, over abundant amount of Sunstone customs. I had had enough. "Does it really matter what the Princess' heritage is?"

"She's no longer deserving of that title, she has been stripped of it."

"You didn't answer my question, Drey." I used the Prince's name in haste.

The Prince's eyes narrowed, "How dare you use my name- you…you are a mere Warlord."

"A Warlord I might be, a murderer- but at least I don't back stab the ones I love. You are a stuck up little boy who shuns the one who loves you more then anything. Destiny would never have done that to you, she's a stronger person than that. A stronger person than you'll ever be." I growled, throwing the blankets off my body.

The Prince didn't answer me, and I was sick of everything lately just flying right passed me. Things were happening way too fast. I watched him as he starred at the floor, seriously pissed.

Oh well.

The sixteen-year-old shell of this man still had a lot to learn about real life.

Groaning, I felt miserable. My body was in shambles and Destiny was now the property of the Dynasty.

I had to face the one person I dreaded the most. The one who was responsible for the death of Anubis, and perhaps the death of his daughter if things continued as they were.

Slowly, I was able to push myself out of bed just as the door opened.

"Dais!" I heard Sekhmet say, "You're in no condition to be up!"

"I am leaving now. I do not want to be in the hospitality of the Sunstone Kingdom. They are dishonorable."

--

"It still hasn't sunk in completely." Kayura sighed, "I never knew Anubis had a daughter."

I sat in the conversation in our safe house for Isisis dwellers, just outside the Isisis realm. A place that was neither Isisis, nor Sunstone, or Dark Valley. Outcasts of the three realms roamed freely around this area called Nanashi Shadows.

We were in a rather elaborate house that a group of Dark Valley nomads had built. Two hundred years earlier we claimed it as an Isisis safe haven. Protected by a magic spell, only those who knew the password were permitted passage in.

Kayura sat in a chair, her leg bandaged with several layers of gauze, but she was recovering quite well.

Sekhmet had escaped without a scratch. When I had pushed Cale and him out of the way of Destiny's sure-kill, he remained unharmed.

Cale's face was covered in various scratches and bruises and his chest was bandaged. He wheezed with every deep breath and he favored his right arm, but he managed to get around all right.

Me, on the other hand, was a wreck. I learned I had lost three days recovering at the Sunstone Palace. I could hobble when I walked, but I needed support. I was weak and a minute longer under Destiny's power I would've died, my body rejecting the pressure of the attack.

I had survived, barely, and at times I wished I hadn't.

"I don't even think Anubis knew he had a daughter." Cale softly told Kayura.

That statement got all of us thinking.

Kayura frowned slightly, "If it weren't for me, he would know. She would've had her father for guidance."

It was obvious Kayura blamed herself for Anubis' death. Cale placed both hands on her shoulders and gently began to massage, "If there is anyone to blame for Anubis' death its Talpa."

It seemed Cale had given this speech to Kayura many times, but she refused to believe it was true.

"I was not strong enough to break Badamon's control over me."

"Anubis knew this." I intervened, "He chose to surrender his life for your freedom." I justified.

Cale looked to me, a small smile on his face. I noticed his eyes sparkle for a split second and then he said, "You have finally let go of him, Dais." He stated softly, "Kayura it's time you do the same."

She sighed, "But it is still my fault!"

"Living with guilt will get you nowhere." I explained, "I have lived with the fact that Anubis tried to warn us of Talpa's wrong doing and I did not believe him and instead chose to attack him when he was trying to save us."

Kayura looked at me with sympathy, "Yes, Anubis was wise beyond his years. He's someone I will always look up to."

"As I." I agreed.

"As I." Sekhmet and Cale simultaneously answered as well.

"He also passed his wisdom and kindness on to Destiny." I smiled, and felt better about myself then I had in a long time. Was I finally letting go? Was Cale right?

"In respect of Anubis, we will free his kin of Talpa. He didn't want either of us to have that fate, and I know we don't want her to have that fate." Sekhmet stated.

Once again we were stumped.

How were we supposed to free her?

"She hasn't appeared anywhere since our last encounter." Cale started.

"Hai, but you should've seen her face when the sure-kill hit Dais. It was not supposed to hit Dais. It was meant for us, Cale, that much was clear by the look on her face." Sekhmet reminded, standing near a huge window gazing out into the gray scenery outside.

"Even under Talpa's control she still favors him!" Cale chuckled, "And I still get on her nerves."

I laughed. Our group seemed to have healed on the inside, but on the outside we were still somewhat battered. And still with no solutions on how to bring Destiny back to us.

Back to me.

--

The week went by without incident. Destiny remained hidden, as did we.

Yesterday when I was dropped off in the office since I still couldn't walk very well, I found, by chance, an empty unused journal.

I suppose it was a sign.

Whenever I felt lonely, cast out, I used to read Anbubis' journal for comfort. It was the only thing anybody had of his, and I was the lucky one who kept it. I was also the one who found it, and the only one who knew about it- besides Destiny.

Yet here, I was without it.

I always wanted to start a journal, but it seemed like such an absurd idea. What would I write about? My pathetic life? No, that was out of the question.

Yet now I felt like I had something to live for. That my life was actually worth living.

I wanted to get up every morning! It was a glorious feeling! To not want to spend the entire day in bed, because you didn't want to experience another day. Just sleep…so I didn't have to feel.

And Cale had thought I was void of any emotion. I felt, I felt indeed.

For years I've felt empty and lonely.

And now I had responsibility. I had to save my realm from my biggest fear, my biggest enemy…Talpa. Use the power he bestowed upon me to destroy him. I was confident I could put up a good fight. The Ronin spirit flowed through the Warlords and I. Ever since we started fighting on our own will- doing what we felt was right.

But what was most important was to free Destiny. Free her…and possibly tell her? Tell her she meant the world to me? That I wanted to spend my life with her? That I had always wanted her?

Was I crazy?

Or crazy for her?

I wrote all of this in the journal. I don't know why, but I did. Maybe to pass time.

It was late afternoon when I had finished my first entry. Nearly five pages of my feelings towards her and what my life was like without her.

Maybe writing in this journal wasn't such a bad idea. Anubis was on the right path all along.

Now everything was possible! Destiny was no longer a Sunstone Princess, a future Queen. She was within my grasp.

She was within my grasp, I hoped.

"Dais…" it was Sekhmet.

I turned around to see a grim expression on the Warlord of Venom's face.

"What is it?"

"An army of Dynasty Soldiers attacked Sunstone. They have control of the Palace. Most of Sunstone's Warriors were at a battle with Dark Valley when it happened. The take over was quite easy and well planned out."

"Has Talpa returned?" I desperately questioned.

"We are unsure. It seems like it." He clenched his fists, "Cale and I are going to check it out."

"Do you think that's wise?" I blinked.

"No." he sighed, "But we don't have any other options."

And that was six hours ago and still there was no word from Sekhmet or Cale.

Kayura limped around, worried. She would look at me every so often and then continue to limp about some more.

"They are fine." I assured her.

She didn't look at me, "He is hot headed. He would do something rash."

"He wouldn't. Not if it meant risking his life so he didn't come back to you."

Kayura stopped and looked, no starred at me, "Hai." She bit her lip, "I'm just…worried."

I pushed myself off the chair I was sitting on and slowly walked to where she was, "Well then. Come on,

let's go find them."

She nodded dumbfounded, not expecting me to suggest that. But I could tell she was relieved, "Yes,

let's."

--

Destiny.

The battlefield was desolate. No desolate was the wrong word for it. Filled with dead bodies- a death field.

Bodies of fallen soldiers, warlords, and warriors were everywhere. And blood. Lots of blood.

Ubiquitously I stepped I came in contact with the thick crimson liquid. And myself caused a third of the death.

It was magnificent! The war between Sunstone and Dark Valley had ended, I assumed. The once fighting kingdoms joined together to fight against Master Talpa- the "demon" as they called him.

But they were no match for his awe striking powers. Some of that power which I possessed, an honor.

The littered dead were all that remained of the battle. We had won, undoubtedly, just like Master Talpa had predicted.


We were victorious! Gaining control of Sunstone! We now controlled two of three kingdoms of the Nether Realm. Soon my master could finally come home.

I had hoped the Warlords and Kayura would've found their fighting will and joined the battle. But they were a no show. A pity, now I would have to find them later and kill them. This time I could not vacillate, this next time they had to perish.

The Nether Realm could be considered ours and the Mortal Realm within our grasp. I giggled with happiness. Talpa would be so pleased! He would surely commend my success.

I avoided bodies, mangled from their fall or skewered by bloody swords or arrows.

This was way too easy.

I recognized a fallen warrior from the Isisis Kingdom- yes, Isisis had taken shelter with Sunstone when Isisis came to be in our possession. But I knew the Isisis warriors were dead, and he was no exception.

Sir Kenji lay in a pool of his own blood, an arrow prodding out of his chest, in a not so elegant manner.

The poor, poor fool.

Beside him lay an armored man, groaning in agony. He bore the royal armor of Sunsone, and thus interested me. I perked considerably, curious as whom this might be.

I slowly made my way over to him and when I reached him I noticed his side had been deeply cut. A large incision below his left ribs, work of a typical Dynasty soldier.

I figured in five minutes, at most, he'd live. He'd die from blood loss for sure.

I sneered and slid my foot underneath his side and with a quick motion flipped the man over so I could see who it was.

The man gasped and cried out in anguish as he rolled into my view.

A helmet blocked my view and I was fast to retrieve it.

When I removed the piece of armor and I wasn't prepared for what I saw….wasn't expecting it to be…

A pair of crystal blue eyes clouded with pain were barely able to focus on my very existence. Accompanied by blood matted blonde hair sticking to a sweat dripping forehead.

Fuck- excuse my language.

No fuck that! I knew I wasn't royalty anymore.

"Erick?" I choked.

No! It couldn't be him! I wanted my master to be pleased, but Erick! No! He couldn't die!

I felt faint and nearly collapsed right then and there if those eyes wouldn't have just starred at me.

"Destiny…" Erick's voice was raspy and wheezy, "What did the demon…do…to…you…" it was evident that it was becoming harder and harder for him to talk, and breath.

Hot, salty tears were streaming down my face and I didn't even know. "No!" I fell on my knees and barely touched Erick's shoulder. I was afraid my touch would make him worse.

What I had done had caused this!?!…memories flashed in my mind…all the screams of war. The clanging of swords, the whizzing of arrows…my shouts…

"The Heavens call for your Souls!" I remembered screaming hastily, "STAR SWORD SCREAM!"

It hit. Dead on it's target, the exact middle of the opposing forces.

If only I hadn't…

Badamon's voice erupted into my head, making me feel faint. Princess, what are you thinking?

"I'm not a Princess anymore." I justified.

Don't you want to please Master Talpa?

"I…" I stammered for words. I was at a loss.

"Please don't die Erick." I whispered, taking his hand into mine.

Erick was barely able to look at me, his life was fading.

"I'm sorry Erick, please, please, please…"

Erick opened his mouth but nothing came out.

"No…" my eyes widened as I watched horrified as his eyes rolled up in his head.

He had died. He had died right in front of me.

I had killed him.

But he didn't want Talpa to return. He had to die.

Like a zombie I rose, I felt my body obey his commands and stand up. "He…had to die?" I asked, confused. Then why did I feel so empty inside? So hollow? So…sad?

Talpa is pleased you have done his bidding. You have brought us victory.

Master Talpa was happy. Then why couldn't I be happy?

I wrapped my arms around myself and starred at the blood-covered ground. Still, droplets fell from my face, and I couldn't control them.

"I have killed my own. I am tainted." I said dead pan, the droplets falling faster.

Badamon continued to lecture me. You are no longer one of them. You are a mortal.

I continued to stare at nothing, "I am dead."

At that moment the strange sensations returned, "Oh no! Please no!" I called out to no one.

It started at the end of my spine and worked its way up, scorching everything inside of me. Every single cell in my body.

You are Talpa's servant. You will obey his every command.

"I am Talpa's servant." I repeated, my cheeks flushing from the abnormal pain, "I will obey his every command."

"NO!"

And it stopped- I was released.

I looked up, from my misshapen state, to see two armor clad men running my way.

"NO! DESTINY!"

My whole body ached and my hands were shaking uncontrollably. I couldn't help hearing the voice in my head. "I am…Talpa's…servant…" my words were tottering. I was unsure of myself. Was I? What about who I was before? I couldn't remember…did I want to remember?

Who was I?

A Princess?

A mortal?

I screamed trying desperately to shake the voice in my head.

"No!" Cale shouted, "You do not belong to Talpa. Badamon is controlling you!"

I ran a precarious hand through my hair, and clenched.

I could not bear the pressure…

You are Talpa's servant. You will obey his every command.

The tingling started again and I cried out desperately, "No more! Please, I beg of you!"

I felt one last, single teardrop fall down my cheek as I was lifted lifelessly into the cold, death filled air.

I tried to struggle, honest, I did. But after what I had done, there was no hope left for me.

--

Dais.

The moment Kayura and I arrived, it was already too late. The smell of rotting flesh filled our nostrils and we were forced to use a spell to counteract the stench of the corpses.

So many casualties, it was abhorrent.

Sunstone just plain did not exist anymore. Like that, in one day, in several hours, in one battle, it was gone. Demolished.

An entire kingdom.

The next day was spent helping the wounded and survivors into our safe house. I figure fifty at the most. Half of those warriors. The other injured civilians.

Out of an entire kingdom.

Luckily I was healing enough so that walking was now possible for me. I went around helping the injured and attempting to console the weeping that were left behind.

When you lived in the Nether Realm, being immortal, death was very seldom and when this many people die, it's traumatic.

Midnight finally rolled around I decided to hit the sack, I was yawning constantly and felt exhausted.

As I made my way to a couch, since rooming was tight, I was intermittent.

Cale eyed me from the kitchen, "She still has hope, you know?"

"I still have hope." I told him, "But after this…"

"Yes." Cale hissed and walked casually over me, "But you have to think. He made us kill when we thought for ourselves. Imagine what he can do to someone when he is controlling their mind."

"What happened?" it was the first chance I had been able to ask Cale or Sekhmet what they saw since Sunstone crumbled.

"I can't believe this." He plopped down on the couch and I followed his example and did the same. "Sekhmet and I arrived at Sunstone and headed straight for the Palace." He paused and then in a whisper said, "The Queen is dead."

"Destiny??"

"No, Sunstone's Queen. This is the strange part." Cale looked me in the eyes, "She killed herself."

I blinked, "But why?"

"Sunstone was gone. You tell me why." Cale answered me, "Their royalty was taught that their kingdom was number one in their life. If it was gone, I'm sure she went crazy."

I looked at my hands, "My God."

"That's not it. We were leaving and we came across Destiny."

My eyes widened, "Is she okay?"

"I don't know how much longer she can take the strain of Badamon controlling her mind. She is an untrained warrior with an extraordinary power. Plus the effects of the Star Swords on Kayura was dramatic, she still hasn't fully recovered and she is the last of the Ancients."

I closed my eyes and leaned back.

"She killed the Prince."

My eyes popped back open, "Drey!?"

"Erick." Cale corrected and paused. A minuted later he started again, only quieter, "And it slowly started to snap her out of the trance. But just as we got to her, Badamon whisked her away."

"So we're going to have to kill someone who is close to her to break the spell?"

"It seems to be the curse." Cale continued.

I crossed my arms. "Then she can have my life." I decided.

Cale starred at me for a second, thinking. Thinking what though, Heaven only knew. "You know…that may not be such a bad idea."

I raised a surprised eyebrow, Cale agreed? I hadn't expected him to, in fact I found it quite eccentric. But I was prepared to keep my word. To give my life to the Princess so she could be freed from Talpa.

Cale grinned at me evilly, "Dais, you're too cruel. You think too little of me."

"Oh?" I asked, slightly confused.

Cale nodded, his left hand scratching his chin thoughtfully, "Yes…If she thinks she killed you it would snap her out of it, and then Sekhmet and I could snatch her away before Badamon tries to brain wash her some more." He exaggerated with his hands, "Only thinks. You don't really have to be dead."

Clever. I thought about it for a moment.

It just might work. "You know Cale, I think just maybe, we could pull it off."

Cale patted me on the back and I smiled, relieved. At least now we had a plan to get her back.

"Yaya, Dais thank me later." He joked, then turned quite seriously, "Don't tell Kayura. I want her to stay here. She seems to be Badamon's target."

"So do you." I pointed out.

"I know, but I think Badamon holds some neurotic grudge towards her. We'll try to find the Princess tomorrow before Badamon has too much of a chance to make her his minion. We'll leave tomorrow morning. Meet Sekhmet and I down here at 5."

I nodded. "Now Cale, if you don't mind. I need sleep."

"Sweet dreams." Cale got up from the couch and made his way out of the living room, "Who knows what we'll be up against tomorrow."

--

to be continued…