Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ 'Do You Want to Live Forever?' ❯ History Lesson's ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N: Before anyone has a Cow and Flames me, I do not view people who watch Soap Opera's as couch potatoes or degenerates of a baseline IQ. A lot of my closest friends are Soap-aholics... I am not. No big deal, to each his or her own. I am merely using the endless stream of human doldrums/Soaps/couch potatoes/increasing number of lazy people as a euphemisms for the way we human beings take so many things in our lives for granted... and how we tend to forget about the things that really matter. It is a known Psychological fact, that some viewers do tend to lose themselves in the pseudo-reality of a 'Soap Opera' in exchange for the dullness, depression, or unsatisfactoriness of their own lives. It is a very sad phenomena... but it does happen. These are very lonely, sad, and unfortunate people, but they are in no way degenerate or stupid... just very unfortunate.


Chapter Two

History Lesson's

The Morning came early the way mornings often do, and no one was quite prepared for it as was the usual case. Alarm clocks began ringing, buzzing, and blaring loudly all over the city as 0600 dawned and it became time for another day in the world of the living to begin.

Another day to skip the required daily dose of bran to keep the body regular in favor of a triple

mocha cappuccino and a blue-berry muffin from the corner 7-11.

Another day to yell at the kids to hurry up and get ready for school, eat breakfast, and catch the damn bus, and "Oh, by the way, don't smoke, drink, or do drugs... I love you... bye."

Another day to indulge in the endless sea of Soap Opera Drama's so that the problems of living

can be drowned inside the oblivion of fantasy lives while the important things fade into the grays of the forgotten places within the infinite uncharted regions of the mind scape.

Another day to eat fast food and while licking the salty grease from each finger, using the

super-sized died soda setting in the console cup-holder to rationalize the inner white lie of 'I'm

still keeping with the diet rules' to prevent any feelings of guilt from ruining a good lunch.

Another day to rush through the crowded subway tunnels trying to catch the train and

making it to the 'salt mines' on time so that 'The Boss' won't pitch a fucking fit over one more

late punch-in this week.

Another day to think about losing that extra ten pounds rubbing up against the front of

the desk as it hangs unattractively over a too tight belt, or trying to decide about buying a new

belt to avoid the stress of that kind of commitment.

Another day to dwell on 401K's, High yield CD's, IRA's, and how much longer it is until 5

o'clock p.m. and evening rush-hour... hmmmm, did anyone feed the cat this morning? Is there time to stop for a drink before going home to the old nag?

Another day married to the same person while wishing it had been someone else.

Another day wishing life had turned out differently, wishing things were better, but not knowing how to change it.

Always another day... and another... and another. Endless, they were, following one after the other through eternity as the hands of Time ticked ominously forward with perfect precision despite all of the doldrums, disappearances, murdered, or simply forgotten people and things that it passed.


Time. The eternal paradox of the Universe. From whence did come, and thenceforth, where did it go? It could be observed, recorded, even touched, but not one creature alive or dead had ever discovered the secrets of its existence or purpose.

Time was unappeasable, yet it demanded nothing. It devoured all things, yet offered infinite opportunities at renewal. It gave birth, it brought death... It was Mother, it was Father, it was God, and it demanded utter respect, humility, and obedience for its wrath was both terrible and irreversible.

Time was absoluteness.

Time was perfection.

Time stopped for no tragedy or catastrophe, it paid attention to nothing, and it lived only for itself. Its only satisfaction was found in the completion of each daily, monthly, and yearly cycle... in the completion of Time itself and the preparation of beginning anew. It was the epitome of relentlessness and ruthlessness melded into the perfect harmony of never-ending persistence. Time waited for no man. It had its own agenda, its own schedule, its own book of preconceived goals.

Time was the World's oldest companion, its Lover, its closest friend, and most vile enemy, and after 600 years of limbo, Time was about to become the Battlefield of the Future. It was the plane upon which an age-old prophecy would come to pass, and the fight for supremacy would be waged. For the Age of Destiny had arrived in which The Fang of Pythagoras was destined to appear and already the lines of engagement were being drawn by the opposing factions without their even being aware. An inexorable force was drawing out the hidden clan's of 'Pure Bloods' and bringing them to the place where 'The One's' blood sang through the marquis lit streets at night calling them to his side amassing a powerful force that had been in the making for six centuries.

Time stalked the Future, and each day that passed brought Fate one step closer to the hour of

Judgement, the coming of The One, and the moment when Vengeance would rise from the ashes of the long dead and rip out the throats of the usurpers with one magnificent slashing stroke of his mighty fangs and bring balance to the World of Darkness once more.

Time was approaching... Time would not wait for choices or decisions to made... Time respected nothing but Time itself, and it would move ever forward without stopping until the hours of Time ceased to be and Time died. Until then, there was nothing in the Universe that could or would stand in its way... or was there?

There are strong men living in this World of Darkness. Strong men who are meant to be strong, and strong men who are trying to become stronger. One will try to change the course of the Future before the other has the chance to fulfill his Destiny... one of them will die, and one of them will inherit the power of the Fang and with it He will become the Master of the Dark World... and the Vampire Nation will once more have a King to rule over their massing numbers.

Only Time will tell which one of these men it will be.

Only Time knows the answer, and time hastens for no man either.

************************************************************

April 2004

The Weekend

Kenshin Himura'sGrandfather's Home

Quiet Country-Styled Home in upper New York State

Saturday Morning, 10:00 a.m.

Characters:

Kenshin Himura

Sanosuke Sargara

Kenshin's Grandfather-age unknown

"Ken-san!" The smooth tenor tones of Kenshin's Grandfather happily greeted the two

homicide detectives as they ambled lazily up the path leading to the immaculate flower, shrub,

and foliage garden that was his backyard. Several heavily leafed elm trees, tall conifers, and

spreading oaks had been carefully arranged and then nurtured to create a reasonably dense

canopy over a fairly large area of the yard which was located directly behind the house. The

resulting alcove remained quite dark during the daylight hours, and provided a cool shaded area

for relief from the heat during the long Summer months. The flower and shrub garden was

situated just in front of the canopy where the Sun's healthy rays could keep the earth warm and

provide the much needed photosythetic light the plants required in order to grow. It was a

beautiful yard, and it was Kenshin's Grandfather's pride and joy... he lived in his yard as he detested being cooped up inside all of the time. So, if one wanted to find the amiable old man, looking in his backyard first was a must.

"Good Morning, Grandfather." Kenshin loped the rest of the way up the path and entered the dimness of the alcove to greet the old man who had risen from his seat to welcome the young red-headed detective as he approached. "It is good to see you."

"As it is you." The old man replied as he pulled Kenshin into his arms and gave him a strong hug. "You have been away too long this time, Ken-san...much too long. I was beginning to think you had forgotten all about your old Grandfather."

"Never." Kenshin smiled broadly into the brilliantly sparkling blue eyes that were teasing him as he hugged the old man again. "How could I possibly ever forget about you, Grandfather? When you are so good at reminding me about NOT forgetting you... or anything else that has to do with our family, for that matter." Mischief danced in the young looking sapphire jewels as they appraised the beloved grandson and noting the smile on the handsome face, the old man could not resist one more jibe.

"Ya... You are right about that. Without me, you would have grown up stupid... or at least, more stupid."

"Grandfather!!" Kenshin squelched in mock indignation as Sano began to snicker mean spiritedly behind him. "How could you say that? About ME??" The old man just smiled and offered up a good-natured chuckle in response.

"He gottcha there, Bud... he definitely got you there." Sano laughed as he scratched at a fly that kept nibbling on his ear. "Gramps one... Kenshin zerooo."

"Sano... " Kenshin glared in amusement at his chuckling partner and then back at his widely

grinning Grandfather. "I thought you were my friend Sano, but here you are siding with this

cantankerous old man against me... I don't know about this. I may have to leave you here when I

go home."

"On no, Kenshin." His Grandfather let his blue eyes grow wide and fill with alarm as he pressed his hands together in a pleading gesture. "You wouldn't do THAT to a defenseless old man like me, would you?" At Sano's abrupt choking off of his laughter, Kenshin turned a wicked grin in his direction and winked.

"Gottcha partner. Kenshin one, Grandfather two... Sano ZEROOO!"

"Geez... that was mean you know? Just plain mean." Sano looked at the two Himura's with

a sense of mild irony at the sameness of their personalities and temperament. "Now whose

ganging up on whom? Hmmm?"

"Ahhh, you must forgive us, Mr. Sagara. It is the Himura way to torture the ones they care

about." At that remark Kenshin favored his smiling Grandfather with an indulgent look.

"Is THAT why you are always so mean to me, Grandfather?"

"Mean? Mean to you? Ken-san!" The old man all but spluttered with outrage before suddenly

thumping his grandson hard enough in the chest to send him reeling backwards onto his backside. "I have never been mean to you a day in your life, you stapling brat!" He fumed playfully. "Why, if it was not for me, you would have grown up like a wild animal on the streets the way your Father let you run wild all of the time... Mean to you? Humph!"

"I was only kidding, Grandfather..." Kenshin laughed as he stood up and dusted off his jeans.

"But I swear, your punches have not lost any of their force since I was six... how did you do that?"

"Vitamins.. Lots and lots of vitamins, Ken-san." The old man flipped his waist length snow white hair over his shoulder and motioned the two men to follow him into the house. "You should try them, my boy... you could use some extra strength and body mass. I think you are skinnier than the last time I saw you."

"Pssst..." Wil leaned into Kenshin's ear as they filed through the glass door. "Does this mean he is going to feed us now?"

"Sano! God, do you ever think about anything besides food?"

"Yeah, I do... sometimes."

"Really? Like what?"

"Errrr... ahhh... Sex... I think about sex too."

"Great. I'm sure Grandfather wants to hear about that..."

"Maybe I do, Ken-san. I may be old, but I am not dead, you know." Both men's heads snapped up as they heard the old man's voice filter over to them from at least 20 feet away where he had disappeared into the kitchen. "Believe it or not, I was once young like you... and I had quite a way with the Ladies... hehehehe.!"

"He heard us???" Sano was flabbergasted. So was Kenshin. He could not remember his

Grandfather having THAT good of hearing before.

"Must be one hellova hearing-aide..."

"No hearing-aide, Ken-san... just vitamins, like I told you. Lots and lots of vitamins."

"Shit!" Sano exclaimed with wide eyes. "I gotta get some of those." Kenshin's eyes narrowed... he was not so easily convinced as his partner. Something was different about his Grandfather today, he just could not quite put his finger on it. He seemed... stronger... livelier... younger?

"Grandfather?" Kenshin walked into the kitchen where the old man was quickly preparing some roast beef sandwiches for them to eat, but stopped short when he caught sight of something he had never witnessed before. His grandfather had always had the liquid grace of a dancer or a martial artist when he moved or walked. That had been an integral part of him ever since Kenshin could remember, but what was happening now was something he had never seen.

Hands that had been 'arthritic' for nearly 20 years were holding a razor sharp carving blade and

using it with the precision of long years of expertise without any show of pain or stiffness. It was as if he wore the hands of a practiced chef or... swordsman? But that was not the only surprise that greeted him. The thing that caught Kenshin's eye and made him hold his breath in shock and disbelief was the speed at which the hands were moving.

They were blurs of the blade and fingers before his stunned amethyst eyes as they flew from roast to plate slicing piece after piece of near paper-thin meat in preparation for the sandwiches that were to be made. It was like watching a movie put on fast forward except that these movements were smooth, graceful, and fluid as a mountain stream rolling over flat stones. Every movement was perfectly calculated, performed, and then repeated without so much as a pause for adjustment. It was obvious that the man knew exactly what his hands were doing, how they were doing it, and he was in complete control of every aspect. The perfect orchestration conducted by a learned Master... a work of art, and it was in that moment that Kenshin felt the 'essence' of the mood within the room change and he felt 'something' become aware of him. ' He knows... he knows I saw... he knows... but, what did I see, what does he think I know? What...'

The curtain between the worlds lifted as Time ticked forward and pushed Fate into motion.

As the last piece of meat was laid on the plate, the old man carefully lay the blade on the counter top, wiped his hands on a nearby towel, and then nonchalantly turned to face his gapping, stunned grandson.

"You wish to say something, Ken-san?" The question was spoken in a voice that was completely unfamiliar to Kenshin. It was not the usual happy musical tenor that he had come to associate with his grandfather, instead it was calm, rich, and warm like molten gold flowing over his skin making him stare into the face of a man he had known his entire life who was suddenly becoming a stranger. The face had changed as well. No longer the ever present smile or dancing blue eyes, rather each familiar feature had been slightly shifted into something more sophisticated, more beautiful...almost... ethereal, and he was so... young. The years of his advanced age had miraculously melted away in the space of a breath, and though his hair remained as white as it had been before, the rest of his physical appearance now seemed to be no older than Kenshin himself.

"Wha...?" His mind was reeling with a thousand-thousand questions, but he could not seem to

capture even one of them as he stared at the being before him. "Who... How... I am... so confused... Who a-are you?" Kenshin backed up a step and bumped directly into a dumb-struck gapping Sano who was totally frozen with shock at what he had just witnessed.

"Who am I?" The white-haired man shrugged as he turned back around and began to prepare the sandwiches. "I am who I have always been... Your Grandfather."

"B-b-but you... your... I..."

"You are stuttering, Ken-san. It really does not become one of your stature and station. You really should try to get control of yourself if you plan on continuing this conversation." The voice sounded bland, almost bored as it wafted over the man's shoulder. "There is much to for us to discuss, and the time has come for you to know many things about our family... and about yourself. This cannot be accomplished if you continue to waver as you are now."

"Y-You want me t-to just accept what h-happened... just l-like that?" Kenshin was incredulous. How could he possibly be expected to accept something like this on face value and simply move on as if it were something that happened to him everyday?

"Yes... I do." Turning around to face the shocked detectives, the white-haired man held a plate stacked high with sandwiches, and motioning for the two men to follow, he walked back outside into the alcove where he placed the plate on a patio table. "Seat yourselves," He said flatly. "I will retrieve the beverages."

"He's kidding, right?" Sano looked at Kenshin with huge rounded eyes filled with bewilderment.

"I... I don't think so." 'What the fuck is going on? Is this the same grandfather I grew up

knowing all my life? Has he been hiding this 'part' of himself all this time? How could he do that? Did my father know?' Then Kenshin's eyes grew wide with distress. 'Mother?! Did Mother know?? What the fuck is happening here?'

"I told you to calm yourself, Ken-san." The smooth golden voice sounded from the direction of the glass doors and Kenshin whirled around to find the white-haired man stepping out with three bottles of beer in his hands. "Wondering what your parents knew or did not know will only create more upset and stress in your mind, and they are questions that can and will be answered as we speak... do you understand?"

"I... you heard my thoughts??"

"Yes... You are of my blood-line. I have always been able to hear your thoughts, and your

Father's as well. It is a technique that you yourself possess; although, you will have to learn how to use it as all of the power within you has been suppressed by your human blood."

"My... h-human blood?" Uncertain and disbelieving violet eyes locked gazes with the now aloof appearing sophisticated sapphires belonging to the man he had known all his life as his grandfather, but now did not know who or what he was. "What do you mean, my human blood? What other kind of blood do I have?"

"My blood, of course... and your Grandmother's who was human, your Father's who was our

son... and your Mother's who was half-human like your Father."

"Half-hum... What the fuck are you talking about!?" A frustrated rage boiled in Kenshin's blood and he jumped to his feet and moved away from the table. "What do you mean my parents were 'half-human'? What does that mean? What does that make ME? What does that make YOU?" Whirling around, angry tears blurring his vision and he fixed his fury on the man responsible for all of his current feelings of turmoil and confusion and shouted, "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU??! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?!"

The silence that followed was deafening in its enormity and as the two Himura's faced each other, the third man found himself an uncomfortable and unwilling witness to an event he wished he were not seeing. For years he had wondered what it would take to crack the seemingly impenetrable shield around his eccentric partners emotions, and now, quite by accident, on an innocent family visit to Kenshin's grandfather's home, he had found out. He wished to God he had not come. Seeing Kenshin like this was tearing his guts out and making him feel like a helpless little kid as he watched his best friend crumble into dust before his very eyes. 'Ahhh, Bud... I'm so sorry... I don't know what to do to help ya... I don't know what to do... this old man's gone off his rocker and he's taking you with him... God, I wanna help, but I don't know...'

"I told you who I was Ken-san..." The white-haired man slowly rose to his feet and carefully

walked toward the seething confused red-head. "I am, indeed, your grandfather. That is, and has

always been the truth."

"Are you Human?" Kenshin asked with a gut-wrenching fear eating away at his vitals and the

bitter taste of denial gagging his throat. "Are WE human?"

"YOU are half-human, my dear boy... just as you have been from the day your sweet mother

brought you screaming into this world of light and dark... and I have loved you and watched over

you from the moment you drew your first breath... that I have."

"I don't understand..." The sob broke his voice and he dropped his head in despair as he struggled to make heads or tails of what was being told him. "What are WE? What am I?"

"You, dear boy, are the Great-Grandson of Maxmillion Corban, who was my Father."

"Who? I-I have never heard that name before." Anxious violet eyes filled with urgency and

questions bore into the softening sapphire pools of the man who reached out to grasp his shoulder in a surprisingly strong grip.

"No, you have not. It is not a name I have spoken in over... 600 years, Ken-san."

"600... What did you say?" Kenshin's face paled and he began to feel very dizzy and light headed as he tried to comprehend what he thought he had just heard, but was certain he could not have.

"600 years, Ken-san... I have not spoken the name of my Father for more than 600 years. Not

since the day he died trying to protect our people and our way of life in a War that should have

never happened."

"War?" A strange look of self-doubt coupled with understanding crossed his face and he pulled away from the white-haired man's grasp to wander a few feet away as he became lost in his own thoughts. "War..." He whispered again as his mind began to rifle through old memories and

carefully preserved facts that he retained in the mock filing cabinet of his brain. "Civil War...

protecting 'our' people and 'our' way of life... The King... they killed The King... War between the

Pure Bloods and The Made... The Prophecy of The One... The Prophecy... The King and The

Prophecy... The Royal Bloodline... Someone survived.... the bloodline... the prophecy... the one..." Suddenly he whirled around and stared in horror at the man who faced him with such stoic regalness and sophistication. 'Regal bearing...' Kenshin's mind started to shiver with the dawning of a terrible understanding. What had the old man said just a few moments ago? '...it does not become one of your stature and station... Oh My God!!! Noooooooooo......' His eyes closed as the last piece of the strangest puzzle he had ever tried to put together suddenly drifted over and fell into place... but he wouldn't... no, he couldn't believe... not that... never that...

"You must accept it, Kin-Cade." The gaze softened even more as the tone of the younger man's turmoil shifted to a different concern and increased intensity. "It is your Destiny."

"Nooo... It can't be true... I'm not... I can't be... I..." He fell to his knees as his strength failed him and buried his face in his hands. "It cannot be..."

"But it is... My Mother foretold your coming 600 years ago as she stood dying in the middle of

the blood soaked battlefield. She died with the prophecy of your birth on her lips, Ken-san, and I

have been waiting for you to come of age all my life... First, I had to wait for you to be born... I had to wait for the signs that foretold your coming, and then, I had to make sure that I was close enough to you to protect you and keep you safe from hunting eyes and sniffing noses."

"What do you mean? Who else is looking for me??"

" The Made... their leader, a man who was once known as Gustav Uriel, has been waiting and searching for you just as long as I have been waiting to find you and protect you."

"Protect me? How do you protect me?" Kenshin was confused, angry, in denial, and suffering an emotion close to grief, but he could not yet put a name to it. "How do you know I am the one... How do you know?" His voice was filled with sorrow, questions, denial...betrayal?

"Because I have waited for you all my life... nearly 700 years have I waited, my boy...

waited and watched the signs of the times change with each passing century... waited for the day

when men could fly like ravens and pictures would speak..."

"What?"

"Airplanes, Ken-san... Airplanes, movies and television... the time for the One has arrived...

it is upon us... the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. I just did not know when you would come so I had to watch and wait. I did not know if you would be born to me, to my son, or to his son... your older brother..."

"I had a brother???" Kenshin looked up with shock filled violet eyes. "A-a brother??"

"Yes, Ken-san. You had a brother... long ago. His name was Hydieki. He died perhaps 250 years ago when we crossed the sea from the old country and come to this place."

"H-how did he die?"

"He was swept over board when our ship was caught in a storm, and as the crew struggled to save him, a large crate was swept over and crashed on top of him... when we were finally able to pull him back on board, we discovered his neck had been broken and he had died. The grief killed his Mother, God rest her poor soul, and your Father did not take another mate for many long years... that being your sweet mother. You are his only surviving child. The last child of my blood since both of your parents are now dead." A long sigh of sadness left the man as he turned from Kenshin and walked away a few steps. "That is how I know you are the one. That is why I had to do everything in my power to protect you after you were born and it fell to me later on in your teens to raise you. But I was sworn to protect you long before that."

"I still do not understand how you have protected me. I am no different from anyone else."

"Exactly, it was I who suppressed your natural abilities. That is WHY you appear to be exactly like everyone else."

"You..?." Incredulity colored his hoarse voice as he gazed in outrage at the other man. "How can you do that? Why did you do that?"

"Why? So you would be that much harder to find." The voice became harsh and annoyed as the older man narrowed his angry gaze at the stubborn red-head. "How? Why do you suppose I was always making you drink tea and eat my herb salad when you were younger,?"

Now Kenshin was getting angry as well. "Then explain why I don't turn into a fucking torch when I walk out into the sunlight, old man? How about that? Or is that just some old Vampire tale that got made up in the movies?"

"It is your human blood that allows you to walk around in the sunlight and remain unharmed, you fucking Idiot." The Vampire snarled back just before moving back toward the belligerent detective. "Must I explain everything to you as if you were a babe in swaddling? Where is your intelligence?"

"I guess I left it at home this morning," Kenshin growled in fury as he forced himself back to his feet. "I was not aware my whole life was about to disintegrate into a steaming pile of dogshit today so I didn't think I was going to need my thinking-cap."

"Your sarcasm and disrespect are ill-placed, young one. Do not pushed me too far."

"Really? Should I be afraid? Grandfather??" The last was spoken with such a sneer of

malevolence that what happened next definitely proved who was the stronger, and who was in

charge and deserving of the respect.

The low feral growl had barely registered in Kenshin's brain, and his reflex warning systems did not even get the chance to click into action before he was suddenly seized from behind by the most powerful grip he had ever felt, and was then summarily thrown to the ground like so much light weight garbage. The breath left his lungs with one big 'whoosh' and he was not able to even squeak in surprised fear before the white-haired Demon pounced on his chest and pinned him in the soft dirt with its incredible strength. Eyes going red as bleeding coals of melting fire burned furiously into his terrified face, and as its lips pealed back in a wolfish snarl, and despite the dimness of the light in the alcove, two canine fangs nearly an inch and a half in length appeared and glinted a brilliant white. 'Dear God... He's a... He's... Oh God....'

"A Vampire, you child... why can't you just say the words? He's A Vampire!"

"I coughcough... I... coughcoughcough... You're a cough... I... cough can't..."

"Fucking coward!" The Vampire screamed as it leaned down into the terrified man's face. "My

blood flows in your viens... I am part of YOU! WE are part of EACH OTHER!! You cannot escape it... YOU. ARE. VAMPIRE. KIN-CADE!"

"NOOOOOO!" Suddenly Kenshin lunged upward throwing the white-haired Vampire off his chest as if he were weightless. "I. WILL. NOT. ACCEPT. THAT! I WILL NOT!" And he leapt into the air covering nearly 15 feet in a single bound landing on top of the other Vampire crushing him to the ground beneath his weight. Then, in a frenzy of rage, he began to pummel him in the face and the chest with his clenched fists, at the same time screaming over and over, "I AM NOT A VAMPIRE! I AM NOT A VAMPIRE! I AM NOT A VAMPIRE!" Then suddenly, as instinct and primitive emotion overcame him, he was burying his face in the other man's neck... and tasted blood.

As his mind filled with a million stars and flashing images, Kenshin began to struggle with the

ferocity of his rage. He could feel is as if it were an enormous ball of boiling fury burning in the pit

of his stomach threatening to explode. He could see it in his minds eye and it looked like the core of a volcano preparing to blow-up and spray its molten contents out across the innocents of the

surrounding world, and realizing this, he became afraid... 'I'm going insane...' He thought in

terror. 'I'm out of control... what have I become? What am I doing? God? Helpme....' and then he went spinning round and round down into a deep hollow world where the darkness had a name, and the light was an enemy to be avoided. 'I am lost...' His soul cried out in agony and fear. 'Where am I? I can't see anymore, have I gone blind? What is this place...? Grandfather??? I am alone... where is everyone... I don't want to be alone in the dark... where is the light? Why can't I find the light? God... are you there? God? GOD?? HELP ME.... HHEEELLLPP MMEEEEE!!!'

"Help yourself, Ken-san..." The calm, quiet tenderness of the smooth tenor voice in his ear

prompted him to brave the logical world and open his eyes. There he met the incredibly beautiful

face of a Vampire with bottomless sapphire diamonds for eyes, and the gentlest smile he had ever

seen.

"Grandfather...?" 'Is that my voice? It sounds different...'

"Yes, dear boy... how do you feel?"

"I... I'm not sure." 'Like I've been hit by a bus..'.

"Can you stand?"

"Yes, I think so..." And as he tried to climb to his feet, he found his grandfather's support under one arm, and his long time friend's, Sanosuke Sagara, under the other. "Sano?"

"Yeah... It's me, Ole' buddy. Come on... up you go." As Kenshin struggled to his feet, he winced and automatically put a hand to his throbbing head.

"What happened?"

"What do you remember, Ken-san?"

"Huh?" Confusion filled his lavender eyes as he looked from his grandfather's face to his friends and back again. "What are you talking about? What happened?"

"Come Ken-san... sit down." They led Kenshin back to the table and helped him set in one of the chairs, and then his grandfather knelt in front of him. "I want you to think back and tell me what the last thing is you remember."

"But..."

"Just do this... don't argue for once in your life, just do it."

"Hmmmm...." Kenshin eyed the white-haired man for a moment and then closed his eyes and

began to think. What HAD they been doing? What were they talking about? 'What....?' And then

he heard a beautiful rich golden sounding voice echoing inside of his head, and as it spoke, the

vision of two shimmering pools of deepest blue filled his mind.

'Taste the blood in your mouth, dear boy... taste it... and remember everything...'

***************************************************** *************

Characters:

Jack Harden: Scum-bag Pimp

Pure Blood Vampire Female

Made Vampire Male

Her legs were wrapped around his neck and he was slamming his full-blooded erection into her

small opening with enough force to rock the car on its framework. The moans and whimpers

coming from her slender throat inflamed his already aroused senses and he bent down over her

shoving his tongue wetly into her panting mouth.

"Oh baby... oh God... it feels good... good so good..."

"The best you've have, Sugar... the best ever." It was the finest piece he'd had... the smoothest... the silkiest... the tightest, and Jack thought he was in heaven, but anything that good couldn't be meant to last, or could it? He had been thinking that maybe this girl was the one he had been looking for, the one he had been waiting for, the one that would make the difference in his business... in his life. But then everything went wrong... suddenly not only were her legs wrapped around his neck but so were her arms and she was pulling him deeply into her for another kiss, only this kiss was unlike any of the others they had shared. This time it

was her tongue that snaked deeply into his mouth nearly suffocating him by how far she could reach, and he pulled back gagging.

"Hey, Bitch... don't do that, man... you're choking me when you do that.."

"Ohhhh, poor baby." She crooned and ground her pussy up against his shuddering hips sucking the full length of his enormous dick inside of her. "You can dish it out but you can't take it? Is that it, Baby?"

"Shut-up!" He growled as he tried to pry her hands from around his neck, but found that they

would not budge. "Leggo..."

"Uh-uh... I like it like this..." And she pushed up into him again and again making him fuck her

the way she wanted even though he wasn't getting off that way, and because of that, he started to get pissed at her. He didn't like bitches who tried to take control.

"Look Bitch, I told you if you worked out, I could get you a real good gig working for me... you can make some good green as one of my girls, but you gotta put out for ME... get it? And right now... you aren't doing that too well..." 'It's always too good to be true... shit!'

"Ohhh phooey..." She pouted prettily and pulled the long blonde hair on the back of his neck

making him wince. "You're being a poor sport, Jack. I just wanted to have a little fun... that's all... can't I have a little fun?"

"Not when you work for me, Babe. You do for ME when you work for me, or you don't get to be Jack's favorite... get it?" 'The sooner you wise up, Baby-doll... the sooner things will work out between us, and then everything will be all better... I want it to be a lot better.'

"But I don't work for you yet... Jack." Her eyes suddenly took on a hard glittering look that

made him take a closer look at her, and the look he saw in her eyes sent a sliver of apprehension

through his gut.

"Jack treats his girls real good... if they treat him right... but you gotta put out for Jack..." 'Why can't you get that through your pretty head, Baby? Why are you busting my balls like this? Why can't you play my game my way? Come on, Baby... play the game...'

"I don't like that idea, Jack. I want you to put out for ME... get it."

"Hey, Bitch... it don't work like that..." His green eyes narrowed and he started to gather his strength together for something messy. If she wouldn't play the game, he'd have to 'teach' her a lesson and then maybe she would be more agreeable.

"Well, then our business is over... Baby." And before he could say another word or make a single move, she had grabbed him and expertly snapped his neck between the fifth and sixth vertebra thus immobilizing him, but leaving him very much alive. Flipping their positions in the back seat so he was on his back beneath her, she gifted him with one of her most beautiful and alluring smiles as she reached down and tenderly smoothed the baby soft blond hair out of his terrified eyes. "Oh, poor Jack... It looks like he had something to eat that didn't agree with him..." She giggled as she dipped her long slender fingers inside of her slick sex and then sensuously wiped the tangy juices across his trembling lips. "Tastes good, Baby... no?" Another girlish giggle escaped her as she leaned down to him and parted his cum covered lips with hers and kissed him deeply... passionately... hungrily.

When she pulled back from the kissed, poor Jack began to whimper in fear and tears filled his big green eyes as he looked at the incredibly beautiful horror setting straddle his paralyzed body.

Glowing red eyes and milky white fangs had replaced the perfect porcelain beauty he had picked up off the street a couple of hours before, and now, as he recalled all of the rumors of something

stalking the streets and taking out the Pimps by ripping out their throats, he knew that he was next... he was the next scum-bag on the blood-sucker's list.... Jesus...

The stiletto sharp fangs pierced his flesh as easily as some needle slides though a piece of cotton, and in only a few short moments, Jack Harden became another Pimp statistic.

She climbed out of the back seat of the Blood red Trans-am and absently straightened her clothes. A long immaculate fingernail began to pick at one of her teeth as if she had something lodged between it and another, and then she was sauntering off into the darkness the lilting tune of a very old song following her as she went. She loved to sing.

As she walked through the deserted alley, a strange scent invaded her sensitive nostrils and she immediately froze in her tracks her sharp nocturnal gaze sweeping through the shadows looking for the source of the scent. Ears trained to hear the slightest shift in the whisper of the breeze strained to catch even the smallest of sounds, but heard nothing out of the ordinary; however, all of the warning bells inside of her head were screaming for her to be on her guard so, keeping to the darker shadows, the female silently began to move up through the narrow alley.

She had not gone more than fifteen feet when a sharp gust of displaced air ruffled her hair from behind. Whirling around with nails raised in claw attack and teeth bared, she crouched down and hissed menacingly at the shadow of the individual who had obviously been stalking her through the alley, but now stood a mere five or six feet away.

"What do you want?" She growled in a deep malevolent voice as she shifted her feet apart for better balance. "You've been following me... who are you?"

"Your worst nightmare, pretty angel." The voice was low, rich with just the hint of an accent much like her own and her eyes narrowed in suspicion even as the beating of her heart sped up with the rush of adrenaline that was being pumped into her system by her defense mechanisms.

"You are an 'Ancient'... aren't you?"

"Oh my... very good, little one. You are very smart for one so young."

"I am not so young that I don't know the sound of the old tongue... I speak it too." She watched his head cock to one side as he was considering her words, and then slowly he spread his feet revealing that he was wearing a long trench coat that effectively masked the size and strength of his body as he crouched preparing for battle.

"Were you there that day... Little One? Were you there that day the Kingdom died?"

"I was...." A shiver of apprehension slid over her flesh as she tightened her muscles in

preparation... 'Remember what you have been taught... it can save you if ever you face one of

them... remember, they have a dead heart... tear out the heart or break their neck and they die... drive a piece of wood or a blade of silver through their heart or head and they die... always remember... remember...'

"Then you know..." His voice smoothly shifted into the menacing growl of a wild animal as if

filled with hatred and the blood lust of someone who had killed many.

"Know what?" 'It is coming... prepare... prepare...'

"That our kind are stronger than your's... we are the chosen of clan's... were are the perfect race, and it is We who shall survive... not You..."

"I don't think so... the Time of The One is upon us, and it is your kind that will perish beneath

His fangs when he rises... you'll all be dead... every last one of you filthy traitors... we'll stand under the Moon and toast His throne with your stinking blood."

"Never..." He hissed and suddenly sprang into the air with an unnatural speed and quickness that could have meant her end had she not been prepared for his coming, as it was, when he crashed into her smaller frame, they both went careening backwards into the darkness more than 20 feet before slamming into the ground and rolling over and over in a tangle or arms, legs, and black leather trench coat.

When they stopped, she was on top straddle his waist and she took the opportunity to smash her clenched fist into his face several times before he threw her off and sent her flying back into the brick wall behind them.

"Oooof!" Her back struck the old bricks hard enough to cause some of the mortar to crumble

loose and sift to the ground at her feet making a pile of white chalky dust around her black stiletto

heels. Sharp eyes caught the blurred movement as he rose to his feet and launched himself at her,

and she swiftly dodged to the left avoiding the charge giving herself a chance to slam a double fisted punch into the center region of his exposed back and shove him face first into the same wall.

"Gaaaahhhfff!" Shoving himself off the wall, he whirled and found her standing several feet

behind him with fists and fangs prepared. 'She's better than I bargained for...' He thought angrily to himself as he wiped blood off his nose and lips and looked at it. 'I'll have to be more careful if I want to take her out.' "You fight well, Little One... who was your teacher?"

"Master Seijuro... Do you know him?" The name of the great Warrior slid of her tongue like fine wine pours from a bottle, and she was more than satisfied to see the flash of worry that appeared briefly in his colorless eyes as he heard it. 'So, you DO know him.... Good. I hope that scares the shit out of you, asshole.'

"I... have heard of him, once, long ago."

"You should have... he was an 'Ancient' as well, so you should know him. WE all did back

then... he helped save us all."

"Of course, he was one of the few among the King's servants who escaped that day... but his name was not 'Seijuro' back then... was it?"

"No... do you know what his name was back then?" She subtly shifted her stance and moved

slightly to his left giving herself a little more space to fight in without him really noticing that she

had done it. 'He's not paying attention... good'.

"Gallion, I think it was... the old Horse retainer."

"Oh, you are good... very few know that. You must be someone important... if there is such a thing among your kind." The barb did its intended job as his eyes narrowed and a hissing curse slid from his throat in response to it. She smiled. The 'Made' were not known for their ability to control their emotions, and that was one of their biggest weaknesses. Learning to use it against them was a must if one wished to prowl outside the safe-zone at night.

"You disgusting whore... I'll eat your fucking heart for that..."

"You have to kill me first, you filthy bastard, and I have no intentions of letting you do that. I have plans tonight that I wish to keep... and you're getting in the way."

"Too bad, little girl... you just pissed of the wrong Vampire." And he rushed her position eyes glazed with bloodlust and canines bared for attack. Dipping down low, she took his charge against her shoulder and abruptly rose up flipping him over the top of her sending his body through the air where it landed with bone breaking force over an iron railing that framed an outside stairway. The 'cracking' sound that followed this fall was easily heard and was quickly followed by the pitiful groan of a painful if not deadly injury.

The girl slowly turned around and looked at the scene before her with a bland look on her face

and pitiless eyes. The male had struck the railing with so much force that he had torn it loose thus

impaling himself upon two of the closely spaced support bars which were protruding from his

bloodies body. One from the right side of his chest and the other from his abdomen. Neither were death wounds, but they were definitely causing him a great deal of pain at the moment. Casually she clasp her hands behind her back and walked over to his so she could look him in the eye, and as she did, she saw true fear and she smiled.

"You're dying, My Friend." She stated flatly as she looked him up and down maliciously.

"You'll bleed to dead in a matter of hours, and without fresh blood and someone to pull you free by morning... you'll be ashes."

"Fuck-ing whooorre..." He rasped as he coughed up blood and grabbed at the iron bars trying to pull himself off, but he had already lost too much blood and his strength was failing him. "Fuck

you, biitch... you are allll st-still going to d-die..."

"I don't think so." Nonchalantly she leaned over and spit in his ashen face and then stood back up and violently kicked him in the ribs tearing a blood curdling scream from his one un-punctured lung. "Looks to me like you're the only one dying here... and I'm the one that's still alive. In fact, you're the second fucking bastard I've wasted tonight, so I guess that makes me 2, and you guys zero... not real good odds wouldn't you agree?" 'Of course, Jack wasn't a Vamapire... but whose counting? An asshole is an asshole.'

"What is y-your n-name, bitch?"

"What is it to you, you're already dead?" She looked at him puzzled.

"I-I want t-to know w-who killed m-me..."

"Mara... My name is Mara." Beautiful dark chocolate brown eyes winked at him as she flipped

amazingly long blonde hair over her shoulder baring her more than ample cleavage for his pain

filled eyes. "I was there that day you filthy animals killed the King and Queen... you slaughtered my Mother and my sisters... and my baby brother." Her gaze grew painful and suddenly tears shone brightly within their depths as she looked on the dying Vampire. "He was only two weeks old when Your Kind came and chopped off his head... a baby, and you just chopped off his head like he was a chicken."

"How d-did you get away? H-how did y-you sur-vive?" He rasped as he watched the beautiful

girl mourn her family long dead.

"Mother stuffed me under the refuse pile in the back yard and told me not to move until I couldn't hear the screaming anymore... so I didn't... and then, I followed the other people out of the city with Master Crede... He saved us."

"Crede? Bastard Prince... never found him... never found..."

"And you never will..." Her booted foot suddenly shot out and one of her 5 inch stiletto's roughly impaled his chest popping the dead heart inside with one heavy thrust of the silver tipped spike. Huge colorless eyes blew wide and round as he stared at her in disbelief for an instant, and then his mouth dropped open in shock and pain. But as she pulled the boot heel free, his body immediately disintegrated into so much ashes and dust and fluttered to the ground where the breeze began blowing it away.

"Master Crede was no bastard, you fucking coward... He saved us all... And when the time

comes, he will help usher in the beginning of the Holy War. He will save us all once again... I know he will." And then she looked up into the starry night sky and whispered to herself, "I hope you appreciate what I did for you tonight, Miss High and Mighty... I'm just as good as you are and I proved it just now. Not only did I take out one of your sewer-rat pimps, but I bagged myself a fucking 'Made' in the process... did you ever do that? Did you? Huh? All in the same night? Did you?" Pausing for a moment, Mara looked down at her hands and noticed there was just a little bit of blood on them. Her pretty brow furrow as she brought her hand up to her nose and took a whiff...

'The pimp's blood...' Shrugging she licked it off and started walking back into the density of the shadows. So, she had been a little bit messier than 'Miss Queen-Bitch', but she had still gotten the job done and then some. As she vanished into the shadows once more, Mara let a smile of satisfaction curve her beautiful full pink lips before she began singing again.

She loved to sing.

A/N: Next chapter done... hope you enjoyed. Please Review.

BTW... I love Vampires... My inspirations are Anne Rice (Who does not allow FanFiction's on her novel... but her style is timeless and beyond description... incredible.), Dean Koontz (Whose horror novels have fascinated me since high school... his descriptive mind is enviable... and to be respected), Stephen King (for obvious reasons), Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (Her Vampire, Werewolf, and other Horror novels are exceptional... if you haven't read her... YOU SHOULD. Some of my 'Inquisition' inspiration/ideas for 'Beloved of the White Flame' came from her and one of her books I read many years ago.) Peter Straub (Whose 'Ghost Story' helped scare the shit out of me and colored my imagination with 'Bad Kid', and whose many other novels that I've read have aided in warping my mind for further imaginary offerings... 'Floating Dragon' comes to mind... wicked stuff.) Someone else who has inspired me is a Werewolf author whom I discovered a couple of years ago... She writes Werewolves like Anne Rice writes Vampires... Her name is Donna Boyd. Her books, 'The Passion' and 'The Promise' are feasts for the eyes and the heart. If you love Werewolve's... READ THEM. Romance, sex, betrayal, tragedy... joy, pain... it's all in there. Anyway... these are just a few of the author's and books that have helped shape the style of my writing... and my quirky if not bazaar imagination. Thanks for reading.