Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ 12 Months ❯ A Limited Life ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
CHAPTER ONE - A Limited Life

“Kaoru-dono!” Kenshin yelled to the frail woman bound by ropes. He ran to her, flinging his sword to release her from her captivity.

“Kaoru-dono! Hold on, de gozaru.” He said lifting her from her state. He ran as fast as he could to the exit along with some friends he brought, “Yahiko! We must go!”

“Oi! Don’t leave me here!” Sano waved to his best friend, punching off the last of the thugs.

* * *

“She needs to rest. She has been gone for 5 months without it. Let’s leave her alone.” Megumi plainly said excusing them all from Kaoru’s bedroom.

“Megumi-dono, if there’s anything you want me to do for Kaoru-dono, I’m here, de gozaru.” Kenshin offered his help as soon as they exited.

“Ken-san…I have bad news for you…and Kaoru-chan…” Megumi said, almost breaking into tears.

“Megumi-dono…you can always tell me…” Kenshin said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

“Unfortunately…Kaoru has been fed constantly with…opium…while she was kidnapped…in addition…she has inhaled a large amount of…smoke…from tobacco…and I’m afraid she has…” she said, small trickles of tears escaped her eyes.

“What is it, Megumi-dono?”

“…lung cancer…and she only has twelve months left…more or less…” she said wrapping her arms around the rurouni’s neck.

Kenshin blankly and obliviously just stood there, mouth gaping open, not minding the doctor. Kaoru’s gonna…die? This can’t be right! Considering, this is Kaoru we’re talking about! Not holding in any longer he softly sobbed. He pulled the woman from around his neck and looked straight into her eyes, meeting with his tear-drenched amethyst ones.

“Megumi-dono…you can cure her, right?”

The quick nod of her head downwards answered his question.

“We should make this her best year. While she still has time.” Megumi said, forcing a small smile.

“Un…we should…”

* * *

The following morning was very difficult for the rest of them, when they found out. Yahiko fumed once the news broke out, “Demo! This is Kaoru we’re talking about! She won’t give up on life that easily!” he said pounding his fist on the breakfast table, “Yeah! Come on you guys! This is Jou-chan we’re talking about!”

“She tried her best…she didn’t give in…if she did…she would have been dead by now…” Megumi said glaring daggers at the two.

“We should all agree to make this year wonderful for Kaoru-dono, de gozaru.”

“That means…what exactly?” Sano asked, skeptically.

“No training, don’t get on her nerve, no strenuous activities, and we all should keep her happy all the time” Megumi said, enumerating with her fingers.

“Happy?”

“Pamper her!” Megumi shot at him.

“Anything for Jou-chan…anything…”