Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ 12 Months ❯ Confessions ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
CHAPTER TWO - Confessions

She only has a year left…I only have a year…to finally confess…I must start right away…Kenshin thought making his way to the garden. He picked a variety of flowers for the sick woman and entered her room.

“(cough, cough) Kenshin ohayou!” she smiled as she sat up from her futon.

“Ohayou, Kaoru-dono! I…I…” Dammit! Why now! Why do I have to be so nervous NOW!

“Areh! Are those for ME?!”

“Ah…Hai, de gozaru. They’re for you.” He said, handing the bundle to her.

“Kirei…Arigatou…” she said as she sniffed from the bouquet.

“Kaoru-dono…I was wondering…if you’re feeling well enough…would you like to…watch a play with me?”

“Hontou ka?! Hai, hai! I will!” she said, as she flung her arms around his neck.

“I’m gonna gussy up right now!”

“Now?! Umm…Okay…” he said as he left her room.

* * *

The night was young, even if the play lasted for three whole hours. The young couple walked down the way too familiar dirt road in the heart of Tokyo. They both fell silent, even after the events to be discussed later on.

“Kenshin…”

“Hai, Kaoru-dono?”

“It’s very rude of me…to not thank you…for saving my life…countless times…”

“I don’t need any thanks, Kaoru-dono. As long as you are safe, de gozaru.”

Kaoru smiled at him for his understanding.

“Demo…I would like to apologize for taking so long to rescue you…Had I known it was the local yakuza who kidnapped you…I would have come earlier…Demo…it’s too late now. I’m sorry for making you wait for five whole months, de gozaru…I truly apologize.”

“Doesn’t matter. I’ll die soon. Megumi told me everything.”

“Kaoru-dono, please don’t talk that way…”

“There’s nothing that can stop it, is there? Let’s just make good use of our time, ne?” she said plastering a fake smile.

“Un…” he abruptly stopped at a very familiar riverbank. Alright, you baka. This is it. Right now. At the very same area where BOTH of you shared the one memory either of you will forget. While she is still alive!

“Kaoru-dono…I…I have a confession to make…”

“I remember this spot! This is where you…said goodbye to me that night.”

“Yes, it is. Kaoru-dono…I have this burning sensation in me…I can’t simply explain…”

“Well…what is it? Are you sick, too?”

“No…It’s not that…It’s complicated…a deep feeling of…compassion…and maybe…love…”

“Eh? What do you mean? Kenshin?” she said, crossing her fingers behind her back.

“I love you, Kaoru” he said grabbing her pale hands.

“…With every fiber of my being, actually.”

“Kenshin I…”

“…Be mine, Kamiya Kaoru.” He said, on his knee.

“Kenshin…You…You…You don’t know how long I’ve waited for you to say those words!” she said as she flung her arms around his neck.

“Yogatta…Koibitou…”

“ (cough, cough, cough)”

“Kaoru…daijoubu ka?”

“Kaoru!” he yelled as she fainted.

* * *

“Never thought you had it in you, buddy.” Sano said as the news broke out about the ‘official’ couple.

“Demo…her condition is not improving, de gozaru.”

“It absolutely isn’t” Megumi said entering with herbal medicines.

“Ken-san, I’m very happy for the both of you. But I have a suggestion - why don’t you just call it off…”

“DOUSHITE, MEGITSUNE?!” Sano said, almost blowing Megumi away with his violent reaction.

“You’ll just end up heartbroken, Ken-san.”

“Love, can sure change a man.” Kenshin said, smiling at the doctor.

“I understand…” she nodded.

“…I need to be excused. If you don’t mind, gentlemen…”

With that, Sano and Kenshin made their way out.

* * *