Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams on a Stormy Night ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I'm so sorry for what I did last chapter. I hope this next one will appease you. Just in case there was in any doubt, I do not own Rurouni Kenshin, even though I love and want him for my very own. Alas, it was not meant to be. He belongs to Nabuhiro Watsuki. Anyway, much love and affection to those who reviewed.

* * * * * * *

Kenshin pushed the door open to inner room of the bathhouse slowly. His violet eyes searched the steamy contents of the room and he froze upon seeing his discovery.

Water splashed softly over the sides of the tub as Kaoru settled into the warm water. Her eyes were closed, her mind elsewhere. She made no move in his direction. He swallowed quietly, unsure of what to do. He didn't want to move, for fear she would notice him. However, if he didn't leave, she could turn and spot him.

He watched her silently, weighing the choices in his mind. He could leave, and possibly the woman would never know he had stumbled upon her. But he loathed moving, wishing he could get a closer look, knowing it might be his only chance. He blinked and shook his head slightly, not sure where the forbidden thought had come from. He was no hentai. Gingerly he turned, trying to escape the way he had come. Desperately he tried to apply his stealth skills. However the beating of his heart was so loud? He couldn't recall the last time he had been so nervous. When he heard his name he stopped and glanced once more at the woman.

Her black hair spilled like a waterfall over the side of the tub. Her eyes were closed, her dark eyelashes resting on her pale cheeks. A small smile rested on her lush lips as she murmured "Kenshin." Once more into the steam filled air.

On their own, his feet slowly crossed the room. Mesmerized he studied her, his head cocked to the side, watching for the slightest reaction from her. If she saw him, he was dead, or at least he would gain another black eye from her. A slight grin touched his mouth to think she had been the only person he had allowed to strike him without repercussions.

She moaned softly, her head falling back gently on the back of the tub. He halted once more, unsure of how to proceed. Ever so leisurely, her eyelids opened. His own eyes were wide, his feet frozen in place. Her blue eyes stared at the ceiling and after a moment they closed again. Her smiled deepened. "I wondered when you'd come." She whispered.

"Oro?" Her words threw him off and he straightened. "Kaoru-dono……"

"Shhh. There is no need to explain." She murmured. She rolled slightly to her side, towards him, her lashes still resting on her cheeks. One hand rose from the water languidly reaching for him. It occurred to him that she thought she dreamed. He swallowed thickly, debating on whether to correct her misconception. But another part, the side that was tired of fighting his attraction to her, kept him still, curious to see where this drama might lead. "Come to me." She pleaded.

Kenshin felt compelled to obey, her low voice musical in her demand. He crossed the final steps to her and lowered himself to his knees. Her cheek rested on the side of the tub and he gingerly touched a strand of her hair. It was silk against his rough fingers and he grimaced slightly. Fearful of shattering her dream, he brushed her temple, just skimming over the surface of her skin. She inhaled shakily, her shoulders heaving ever so slightly.

He recalled she had been in a similar state the night before when he had caressed her face. As he had done then, he touched her cheek, relishing the fact it was perfect and not marked, as he had often dreaded it might be. He felt his own breath catch to feel the smoothness of her flesh. How many nights had he awakened and hurried to her side to prove she still breathed, still remained safe.

Kaoru opened her eyes slowly. She lifted her head from the tub, leaning into his caress. She turned her lips into his palm and delicately pressed a kiss there. Her lids dropped close and he moaned softly, relishing the feel of her soft lips against his calloused hand. Her mouth stopped and her lashes raised slowly, her blue eyes wide. Kenshin sucked in his breath, knowing she realized the dream had ended and reality had begun.

His fingers fell from her face as her head rose; her azure eyes stared into his violet ones. Anxiously she licked her lips and his gaze was instantly drawn to them. Quickly he looked once more into her eyes. Kenshin knew he was in trouble, finding himself in a much more precarious situation than the night before. "Kaoru-dono……" He breathed.

The woman's eyes searched his face and then settled on his mouth. He could feel her luring him to her, her aroma drawing him in, the heat in the small space affecting his mind. Or was it merely her heat? He could resist her no more and he leaned in, hesitating when his lips hovered over hers. Her nose brushed against his, the ends rubbing affectionately. He could sense her smile, his lids having drooped closed. Her breath grazed his mouth and he swallowed again. Finally he could stand it no more and he let go, his inner being cheering as he at last succumbed to his wants.

The feel of her lips against his was heaven. Never had he imagined this moment would come and now that it had, he could not fathom how it made him feel. He felt her fingers ever so timidly touch his cheek and he groaned, his passions held at bay for so long clamoring to be released. He deepened the kiss, his hand reaching around her neck to pull her closer. She moaned into his mouth, her lips parting beneath his. Gingerly he ran his tongue along her bottom lip. Her mouth opened more and he greedily took what she offered. He heard the water ripple as her other arm came out her bath, wrapping around him as he drank her in, tasting her, feeling her in his arms.

"Kenshin? When's dinner?" He heard Yahiko call out.

"Oi! Yahiko, Kenshin's not in there!" Sano hollered, his voice much closer than Kenshin cared for.

Swearing under his breath, he felt Battousai screech in disappointment. He tore his lips from her and pulled away from the hot woman in his grasp. He stood, averting his eyes and turning his back to her. He could hear Sanosuke leading the boy away. Damn that child sometimes!

Behind him he heard Kaoru sink into the water. "Gomen nasai, Kaoru-dono." He whispered. He felt himself blushing and he reeled in his darker side. It was not easy. The hitokiri had been denied and would not take well to the disappointment. He took a shaky breath, attempting to calm himself. He didn't trust himself to move just yet, but he needed to get away from her, lest Battousai gain the upper hand..

"Kenshin?"

He closed his eyes, his heart aching to hear the anguish in that single word. Painfully, he stepped away from her. "Why did you come here?" She asked tearfully.

"It was an accident." He admitted, not quite sure how to confess the tall brunette had managed to trick him. But then, maybe he had wanted to be deceived.

"That's all it ever was, wasn't it?" She rose from the tub.

Her words made no sense to him "Oro?" Without thinking, he turned around, only to be knocked to the ground.

"Hentai!" She shrieked before dashing by him, a towel wrapped around body.

He struggled to see past the stars and heard the door slam closed behind her. He hit himself in the head. "Baka." He muttered. "You just hurt her far worse than anyone else could have."

* * * * *

The waning moon filtered through the partially cloudy sky. It was late, but sleep had not been forthcoming for Kaoru that night. She shivered slightly and pulled her blanket tighter around her shoulders. Around her the dojo was dark and silent. She had come for some peace of mind, staring at the stars, hoping for an answer that would never come.

Twice now Kenshin had walked away from her. Twice she had been positive he had been on the brink of succumbing. And twice the damn boy had interrupted. She should send him to the Akabeko for a few days. Maybe if there was nothing to disturb the stolen moment, Kenshin might actually yield. She groaned softly and buried her face in her arms.

What was wrong with her? Lately, her body had acted strangely. Her feelings for the rurouni were stronger than ever, and yet, they had now begun to go deeper. It had started several weeks before when she had walked past his room and noticed he was dressing. The door had been left slightly ajar and she couldn't resist peeking in. He was of a small stature and she had no doubt of his strength despite his size. Though she had tended his wounds before in the past, this time when she had spied his bare chest, something had fluttered within her. She had hurried away, her face flaming, her stomach in knots.

She wanted him.

Kaoru had known she had become more irritable lately. She couldn't explain it. Every moment spent with the redhead left her frustrated. Sometimes, she wondered how he could be so oblivious to her yearning. Sano had commented on it one afternoon, earning himself a fresh bump on the head. He had wisely not said anything to her since then. Megumi had suggested seducing the man, and though Kaoru was greatly tempted, she could not bear the thought of rejection. But the night before everything had changed.

Kaoru had no doubt, the near kiss could have been a result of catching him unawares, something very few people could accomplish. But then how did one explain their interlude in the bathhouse? Her blood began to boil remembering the heated kiss that afternoon. She had noticed the look in Sanosuke's eyes before she flounced away. What had struck her was the surprising glint in Kenshin's eyes. It had mirrored the one last night; his violet eyes speckled with amber, letting her know that Buttosai was near the surface. She had shivered underneath that gaze and fled, not understanding the meaning of it.

She had nearly grasped what was happening to her before she had awoken from her reverie. The lust she had seen in Kenshin's eyes had roused something long dormant within her. It had caused her loins to tingle; nothing she dared to do could satiate the fervent fever, which would erratically flush through her. Only one thing remained certain. Only the redhead could quench her desire.

Sighing, she rested her head on the post, her blue eyes on the sky above. The clouds had begun to gather again and it would be only a matter of time before another storm erupted. They were common in the middle of summer. Usually she enjoyed a good thunderstorm, awestruck in the ferocious beauty that was nature. But now, the idea of a storm reminded her of the teasing encounters with the rurouni.

Kaoru became aware of someone behind her. She heard a floorboard creek and she turned slowly. Standing just within the shadows was Kenshin. He watched her and in the pale light, their eyes met. She wondered how long he had stood there and why he decided now to alert her to his presence. The thought brought a twisting to her stomach. She took a shaky breath in an attempt to calm her frayed nerves. They had not spoken since she had run out on him, dinner being a silent affair.

"Couldn't sleep?" She asked, surprised at her success of sounding nonchalant.

"No."

"Bad dream?"

"Not exactly."

Her blue eyes blinked. What was that supposed to mean? "Would you like to sit?" She asked tentatively.

"If you like."

"I like."

Slowly he came and lowered himself next to her on the step. His gaze went to the moon and Kaoru sighed. She turned her eyes once more to the sky, enjoying his nearness. They watched the stars quietly, the only sounds the chirping crickets and the occasional hoot of an owl.

"Kaoru-dono? May I ask you a question?" He asked, breaking the silence. She nodded. "What do you want from your life?"

"How do you mean?"

"Don't you want to get married, have a family?"

She watched him curiously. Where had that come from? Could he have been as affected by what had happened as she? She licked her lips, searching for the answer she was supposed to give. How could she tell him she did want those things, only she wanted them with him? Yet she was afraid any other answer might send him wandering again.

"Someday." She answered finally. He nodded to himself and turned his face once more to the sky. "What of you Kenshin? What do you want out of life? Don't you want to get married?"

The man hesitated and Kaoru realized she held her breath. A flash of pain crossed his face, his fingers straying to his left cheek. She grimaced, knowing he thought of Tomoe and she cursed herself silently. "I do not deserve those things, that I do not." He stated firmly.

"How can you say that?" She demanded, irritation flowing through her. "Everyone deserves happiness, no matter who they are. You have atoned for your sins."

His eyes darkened. "I am not everyone."

She brushed her dark hair from her face. "Of course you aren't. You're Kenshin. Whether you want to believe it or not, you are one of the most noble men I have ever met in my life. If you continue to disparage yourself, then you won't ever find peace." She stated fiercely.

His eyes watched her a moment and a thin smile touched his lips. "Ever so understanding, that you are, Kaoru-dono. But the world is not as forgiving as you."

"Who cares about the rest of the world?" She practically shouted. She clapped hand over her mouth, remembering that Yahiko slept still. She did not want this disrupted. "What does the rest of the world matter in this moment?" She whispered heatedly.

His smiled deepened and he touched her cheek tenderly. Immediately her temper cooled and her breath caught. Until the night before, he had never touched her in such an intimate manner. "You have such a beautiful heart, Kaoru-dono."

Her cheeks heated and she looked away. Her eyes went once more to the stars and she saw a shooting star. Her eyes went wide and then she shut them closed. Please let Kenshin love me the way I want him. Please, she pleaded silently. After a moment she opened her eyes and sneaked a glance at the man at her side. He also watched the sky and she wondered if he had seen the falling star. She stifled a yawn and bit her lip. Timidly, she lowered her head to his shoulder. Her cheek touched the material and she allowed herself to become enveloped in his scent. Kenshin didn't move and she relaxed, relishing in the feel of him. Kaoru felt something stir her hair and she frowned. Something definitely brushed by the top of her head and she raised it abruptly.

Her eyes widened as she caught herself staring into the shocked gaze of Kenshin. He swallowed. They stared at each other, for how long she didn't know. Then he started to back away. Before he could leaver her again, she leaned in, pressing her lips to his. She felt the shock reverberate through him before he returned the kiss. His hand strayed to her shoulder and then he was pulling away again. "I can't."

Tears threatened. "Why?"

He looked away sadly. "I am not worthy."

Her heart ached for him. Was there nothing she could say to convince him? "What about for one night? Don't you at the very least deserve that? Don't I deserve that?" She implored, knowing it might be hopeless.

* * * * *

The glow from the window lightened and Kaoru became aware of the clammy air. She curled up in a tight ball, pulling her blankets tighter about herself. She clenched her eyes closed, memories of the previous night flooding her mind. Kenshin had swept her into his arms and Kaoru had momentarily thought he would acquiesce and her wish would be granted. However he had carried her to her room and laid her gently on the mattress. He had gently brushed her hair from her face and tenderly pressed his lips to her cheek. Then he had quietly left her, her mind lost in confused turmoil.

Another nightmare had visited her once more, this one of Gohei, flinging the door to the dojo open and advancing upon her. She had screamed, but no help had come. Then Gohei had grabbed her, pulling her to him. "Where's Battousai now?" He had sneered. She had fought against him, but the man was huge. His arms had encircled her, her cries being drowned out. She didn't even know when tears had begun to stream down her face.

"Kaoru-dono!"

The cry had broken through and she had paused. Only Kenshin called her that. Then the hands on her were gentle and the body pressed against her warm and soothing. "Kaoru-dono. It is all right. I am here."

She had thrown her arms about the redhead, her cries wracking her body. How long they had sat that way, him calming her, she wasn't really sure. After some time, her sobs quieted, her sniffles less frequent. Pulling away from his warm embrace, Kaoru stiffened. "Why are you here?" She had asked.

Pain flashed in his amethyst eyes and Kaoru bit her lip. He rose swiftly. "I will leave you."

"No!" She cried, fear threatening to overwhelm her again. Tears filled her blue eyes. He couldn't leave her.

Kenshin dropped to his knees and quickly took her into his arms again to calm her. His hand brushed her hair. "I am not leaving you, that I am not."

At some point she had fallen asleep in his embrace.

Now she lay in her empty room, the blankets around her chin, her heart empty. Reluctantly, she sat up and wiped the sleep from her eyes. Damp light trickled in through the closed windows. The air was already slightly sticky. She rose and changed. Pulling her hair up into its classic ponytail, she glanced at herself in the mirror. What could she do to prove herself to him? What could she do to help him prove himself to himself?

With a shrug, she left her room, headed for the dining room. The smell of breakfast eventually greeted her and she eagerly sat down. Yahiko was already seated at the table. "Nice of you to join us busu." He muttered, seconds before Kenshin entered with a plate full of food.

The redhead paused when his violet eyes landed on her. She felt her heart stop, waiting for something from him. A soft smile touched his features. "Morning, Kaoru-dono."

"Morning." She plummeted, though she returned the smile. What had she expected, a marriage proposal? Her gaze dropped to the table in front of her and she picked at the plate of food. Yahiko wolfed down his meal, not noticing the tension in the air. Moments later, there was a call from the courtyard announcing Sanosuke's arrival. She looked up when he appeared in the doorway and she offered him a smile. "Morning Sano."

His brown eyes studied her face for a moment before glancing at Kenshin. "Sleep okay last night Jou-chan?" He asked, plopping down next to her at the table.

Apprehension touched her and she risked a look in Kenshin's direction. He seemed intent on his food. Her shoulders fell and she shook her head sadly. "No, I really didn't." She murmured.

The bite of food paused halfway to the tall man's mouth and he offered her a sheepish grin. "Gomen."

She shrugged, feeling a bit dejected. A shiver touched her and she glanced outside. The sun heated the moist air, shimmering in between the thick clouds. "It happens."

A hand touched her shoulder and she looked into the earnest face of Yahiko. "You don't have to worry Kaoru. I promise I won't leave you. So you can stop crying out at night." He told her. His sincerity struck a cord within her and she felt tears threaten.

"Arigatou." She whispered. How had the boy known her fear?

"Besides, all that crying makes you even uglier than you already are." He laughed.

Her temper flared and she reached to grab him. He danced merrily away from her and out the door. She gritted her teeth. "Leave him be, Jou-chan. You know you'll punish him later."

She grinned at him, her mood lightening. "You know I will."

He chuckled and a warm feeling came over her in the moment. For some reason she felt as though she and Sanosuke had shared a private joke and she enjoyed it. She glanced at Kenshin to see how he had reacted and blinked. The man was still, his amethyst eyes on them. Something flashed in their depths, something she had not quite seen before. It was nothing dangerous; there was no sign of the hitokiri. And yet she could tell the rurouni was not pleased. His jaw tightened ever so much.

He rose, clearing the plates from the table. "I will get started on cleaning up, that I will." He said, his voice slightly tense.

Kaoru watched him leave and turned at the sound Sano made. "Come with me." He said, his plate in his hands.

Feeling a bit lost at what had just occurred, she rose and followed the man out onto the porch. "What is it?" She asked, settling next to him outside.

"What is going on between you and Kenshin?"

Taken aback, she merely stared at him. "What are you talking about?"

"I know something happened the other night. He went to your room and you awoke. He says Yahiko interrupted you."

"He told you that?" She asked incredulously. She gnawed on her lower lip. "I'm not really sure what happened. He didn't kiss me then. I'm still trying to figure out what happened yesterday afternoon." She asserted.

The man at her side choked on his food. "Nani? In the bathhouse? He kissed you?"

Too late she realized her folly. It had plagued her for so long. But how did he know something had happened then? She recalled hearing his voice when the boy had come looking for the rurouni. But how had he known to steer him away. "How do you know it was in the bath house?" She asked slowly.

The man colored and put his half eaten plate on the ground. He didn't answer. "You sent him there! You knew I was in there bathing, didn't you?"

"At least I didn't come looking for something." He tried to argue.

"Sano!"

He grinned at her and shrugged. "I was trying to get you two together. It's ridiculous watching you dance around your own desires."

"Kenshin doesn't desire me." She stated, her mood darkening again.

"Yes he does."

"Then why does he push me away?" She pleaded.

The man scratched the back of his head. "I don't really know. Kenshin doesn't tell me what goes on in his head. I just know he cares for you very much. For some reason, he won't touch you. I think it's because he feels he is tainted and you're so good, Jou-chan."

Kaoru raised an eyebrow. "Come again?"

"You are pure in your way. You have a sweet disposition and an open heart. I think that is why Kenshin is drawn to you. However, if he allows you too close, then he is afraid of pushing his past on you and ruining your innocence."

She wrinkled her nose. "I am not so innocent." She retorted, her cheeks flaming. Her thoughts turned wicked and briefly she recalled one of her dirtier fantasies. She quickly dismissed it, realizing Sanosuke watched her.

He chuckled. "Mayhap not. But regardless, Kenshin has you on a pedestal very few people have ever stood upon. I can think of only one person who might have been there in his mind."

"Tomoe." She whispered. His first love was forever a presence, though she was dead. He had a constant reminder of her perpetually branded on his left cheek. How it hurt to think she could never compare to a woman long dead. "How can I compete with that? All he remembers about her was the goodness she was. I am here and he is constantly seeing my mistakes." She told him bitterly.

"Damn, Jou-chan. You sound a bit like Megumi."

Her blue eyes blinked. "Really?"

He nodded and poked her jovially in the ribs. "Very sly, you are."

Rubbing her temples, Kaoru sighed. "I don't feel very sly. I still haven't figured out a way to get him to love me."

He placed a hand on her shoulder. "I think he does. He just needs to let it happen."

"At this rate I'll be as old as he is."

Sanosuke snickered. "He isn't that old. He isn't thirty yet, remember?"

***********

Megumi smoothed her hair down before ringing the bell. She figured the tori-atama would already be within and she needed to remain calm. She had been slightly surprised when she had received the summons, not from Kaoru, but from Kenshin himself. Her feelings for the rurouni had long since faded. It was apparent to her his heart belonged to the tanuki, even if the girl didn't believe it. The two had become closer, since the rivalry for the redhead's affections had ended. Now Megumi had her eye on someone else, but he could be just as dense as Kenshin sometimes.

The gate opened and Kenshin stood there. The sleeves of his gi were pushed up and she could only imagine he had been in the middle of some chore.

"Megumi-dono, I am glad you came, that I am."

She shrugged and tossed her long dark hair over her shoulder. "What seems to be the problem?"

"Kaoru-dono isn't well."

She studied him. The woman had seen Kaoru, not even a week ago and she had seemed fine, sexually frustrated to no end, but otherwise completely healthy. "What's wrong?"

He gestured for her to come in, and Megumi did. He closed the gate behind her. "Her nightmares have become more frequent, that they have."

"And?"

The man's cheeks turned a slight shade of pink. "I want for her to find some peace so she may sleep well again."

"I see." Megumi thought about it for a moment, lingering behind Kenshin as he led the way towards the dojo. It was probably nothing a good roll in the sack wouldn't cure, but she couldn't very well tell Kenshin that. "I don't think there is really anything I can give her that will really help her. I could give her something to sleep, but the nightmares won't go away."

He paused and his shoulders slumped. "I just wish I knew what plagued her every night."

Her heart warmed and she felt a stab of jealousy. He loved Kaoru so much; she couldn't understand why he refused to allow Kaoru to love him. Here he was, wanting desperately to end her suffering in a world he could not protect her from. She touched him gingerly on the arm. "Have you asked her?"

Slowly he shook his head. "Sano has told me his suspicions, but I know nothing of what I can do to assure her she will never be alone."

"Even if you wander away again?"

Now Kenshin looked away. She couldn't tell but she thought she might have seen guilt in his eyes. "It's not a matter of that. I don't know if I'll leave here. I don't know why I would. She's here and she's become my whole world, that she has."

Her breath caught, wanting him to continue. It was the first time she had known for the rurouni to so anything remotely close to admitting he loved her, at least out loud.

When he didn't elaborate, she sighed. "I do not fully believe you leaving is what she is afraid of. It is the uncertainty of whether you will return or not."

The violet eyes met hers, a thoughtful look to them. He offered her a smile then. "Still, maybe you should talk to Kaoru-dono. I think she could use a *female* friend to converse with."

Taken aback by how quickly he could change moods, she failed to notice the emphasis on the word female. She followed him around the corner. Kaoru and Sanosuke sat on the step, chuckling about something. Immediately, her temper flared and she threw her arm through Kenshin's. How dare the tanuki flirt with him so blatantly? She laughed heartily at nothing and snuggled into Kenshin's side. He said nothing though she did feel his shoulders heave so slightly in a sigh.

Kaoru rose, her dark azure eyes narrowing slightly. "Megumi, what are you doing here?"

"I thought you and I should continue our conversation from the other day. Ken-san was nice enough to let me in."

Her jaw tightened. "That was thoughtful of him. However, Kenshin would allow any stray animal in here if it needed something to eat."

Megumi sucked in her breath. That had hurt. Her brown eyes landed on Sanosuke and he watched the scene impassively. Kaoru tossed her dark hair over her shoulder haughtily. "What more could you possibly have to tell me, anyway?"

"Much more than you could imagine." She smirked.

The younger woman glowered and Megumi couldn't help but laugh out loud. She knew the moment the two men were out of sight, they would fall on each other like long lost sisters. For whatever reason the play had to be performed this way for their benefit. At least until one of them developed some sense.

Sano rose then, and grabbed Kaoru's arm. Megumi's eyes narrowed. That was not a part of the script. He shot her a dark look before leaning down to whisper something into the woman's ear. Kaoru blushed a deep shade of red and she giggled nervously. As the man pulled away, he pressed a tender kiss on her cheek.

Megumi immediately dropped Kenshin's arm, her jealousy raging now. Who did he think he was? However, nothing could foresee the reaction of the man at her side. He grew stiff, his eyes staring at the tall brunette. Then without a word, he turned on his heel and walked away. Startled, Megumi could only watch him walk away. The man was fuming, and it struck her that envy was not a common emotion for the man to feel. Undecided, Kaoru eventually stepped off the porch.

"Gomen." She whispered to Megumi as she passed. She nodded her acceptance and watched the woman disappear after the rurouni.

"So why are you really here, kitsune?"

Her heart fluttered, her temper cooling at hearing his nickname for her. "I came to see Kaoru. Kenshin is worried about her."

"So was the ruse really necessary?"

Arrogantly she crossed her arms and sniffed. "I have no idea what you are talking about."

He stepped towards her and she caught a scent of him on the moist air. "Sure you do. Why you feel the need to drape yourself all over Kenshin is beyond me." He said bitterly.

"And what of you? What was that just now with the tanuki?" She fired back.

A smile broke out on his handsome face. "So you were paying attention."

She opened her mouth, but found no smart comeback to give. "I pay more attention than you seem to think. You're the one who hasn't got a clue." She sneered after a moment.

Sano studied her and she felt her heart speed up as anxiety touched her. "I notice more than you obviously give me credit for."

She swallowed, not sure if she wanted this conversation to continue. "What's going on with Kenshin?" She asked, changing the subject.

"I don't know." He scratched his head. "Something has changed in their relationship though. Jou-chan would only say that he has been coming to her at night when she has the nightmares. Apparently two nights ago and then yesterday afternoon, something happened between them. I don't know what exactly, but it changed the dynamic between them."

"Meaning what, exactly."

"Meaning Kenshin can no longer live in denial."

********

Much hugs and kisses to you all. Hope you enjoyed it. The next chapter will be out soon. And don't forget to let me know what you think! ^_^