S-CRY-ed Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal Devotion ❯ Through the Night ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Title: Eternal Devotion
Author: Eloy Brightdreamer
Category: Angst/Romance/Drama
Rating: NC-17
Summary: Ryuhou is forced to help Kazuma heal after a battle... and has to deal with the consequences in his heart.

Warning: YAOI! This means romance and/or sex between two male characters. Don't like it? Bug off! I will not tolerate flames from people who just don't like yaoi. No one's forcing you to read this. Consider yourself warned.

Disclaimer: I don't own s-CRY-ed. Wish I did. There'd be a lot more yaoi. XD Don't sue me, I have no money worth taking!

Chapter 1: Through the Night

A chill wind blew across the desolate landscape of the Lost Ground, birthing then destroying small dust devils in its wake. Jutting rocks turned contrasting shades of red and black in the glare from the setting sun, stark giants dwarfed by their elongating shadows. A lone figure struggled across the unforgiving plain, tiny in comparison to the monolithic formations surrounding it.

Ryuhou shivered and cursed to himself, shifting the burden on his back. The battle had not gone well at all, and now he was stuck carrying an injured Kazuma to safety. Oddly enough, they had not been fighting each other this time... the mainlanders had attacked again, requiring their reluctant cooperation to defeat the encroaching army. However, near the end of the fight, when both had been exhausted, a massive landslide had buried the younger Alter user, leaving Ryuhou to finish the fight by himself. Afterward, he hesitated for only a moment, then began the tedious task of digging his rival out from under the pile of rocks.

Kazuma had been unconscious when Ryuhou finally found him. At first glance, he didn't look too badly wounded, aside from a few superficial cuts and bruises. However, he didn't come around when Ryuhou slapped him, and his breathing was dangerously short and shallow. Fearing that his companion might have at least a concussion, as well as possible internal injuries, the former HOLY officer decided that helping the other man would be easier on his conscience than leaving him to the elements.

Why had he even bothered? It wasn't like Kazuma would have wanted his help, anyway. But... he couldn't have just left him there, could he? He could have died... not that Ryuhou cared...

Lost in thought, he stumbled over a loose rock, barely catching his balance in time to prevent them both from tumbling to the ground. If they had fallen, Ryuhou didn't know if he'd have possessed the strength to get them back up. He even lacked the energy to summon Zetsuei for help.

A low groan from behind caught his attention, and he turned his head to the side, catching a glimpse of a pained expression. Kazuma stirred and moaned again, his eye opening slightly. "R-Ryuhou...?"

The older Alter user faced his gaze forward again, forcing himself to keep walking. "Kazuma. How bad are your injuries?"

When no response came, he assumed the other had passed out again. He was startled when Kazuma's body tensed a few seconds later, one hand gripping the sleeve of his torn HOLY uniform. "Oh shit... put me down..."

Ryuhou halted, but did not release his grip on Kazuma's legs. "You think you can walk?" he asked skeptically.

"N-no... gonna puke..."

Immediately, Ryuhou bent his legs and dropped the younger man to the rocky ground, then strode a few steps away, barely glancing over his shoulder to see Kazuma fall to his hands and knees. He quickly turned his attention back to the horizon, trying unsuccessfully to ignore the painful retching sounds from behind him. Squinting into the setting sun, he estimated that they had maybe another hour of daylight left. They needed to find shelter... Ryuhou was unfamiliar with the area, and neither Alter was in any condition to fend off even the weakest attack. He didn't relish the thought of weathering the night out on the open plateau.

Hearing that Kazuma seemed to have finished being sick, Ryuhou turned and moved back toward the other man. Kneeling beside him, he attempted to assess the younger Alter's condition. Kazuma was slumped against a slanting rock, his arms wrapped protectively around his midsection. His pale face was dotted with beads of sweat, and his one good eye was open, but glazed and unfocused. He was breathing heavily, as though he'd just sprinted a mile. Glancing down, Ryuhou grimaced as he noted that Kazuma seemed to have brought up more blood than anything else. Feeling his own stomach twist in response, he turned away quickly, tugging Kazuma's arm over his shoulders.

"Come on, dammit, I can't carry you anymore..." he mumbled, hoping that the younger man would be conscious enough to support at least some of his weight. He dragged the two of them to their feet, supporting Kazuma with his other arm around his waist. Kazuma groaned and leaned heavily against him, but managed to stumble along as Ryuhou moved forward.

Nearly an hour later, Ryuhou strained his eyes to see in the failing dusk. Numb with exhaustion, he could barely put one foot in front of the other. Kazuma wasn't helping much either--the younger Alter user was only semi-conscious, and Ryuhou was once again supporting most of the boy's weight.

Almost despairing of finding any safe place to rest, Ryuhou very nearly passed the darkened cave entrance as the two struggled through a narrow valley. Summoning the last of his strength, the former HOLY officer staggered through the low mouth of the cave, hoping that no hostile creatures had already claimed this meager shelter.

Once inside, Ryuhou immediately felt his knees buckle. As he collapsed to the hard floor, he managed to think clearly enough to roll onto his back so that Kazuma fell mostly on top of him, his lead landing on Ryuhou's shoulder rather than the rocky ground. Too exhausted to bother pushing his companion's limp form off of him, the green-haired Alter user fell into a blackness too deep and dark to be merely called sleep.

****

He was... drowning. He could hear the water around him, the incessant drip-drip-drip filling his ears and transforming into a warm, crushing weight on his chest. Yet his body seemed to be frozen in ice... ice fed by the steady dripping of the water, and he couldn't breathe, couldn't move, couldn't wake, couldn't breathe... couldn't...

Ryuhou awoke with a gasp, struggling against the heaviness that covered him like a lead blanket. Finally, he threw the limp weight off and sat up, gasping for air. His eyes cast about wildly in the darkness as panic gripped his heart for a few terrifying moments. Eventually remembrance pushed back the cobwebs of sleep, and the former HOLY member rubbed his eyes as he attempted to calm his heart and collect his thoughts. His memory coalesced in bits and pieces: the fight... the cave... Kazu-Kazuma! Glancing around, he caught sight of a crumpled form lying a few feet away. Wincing as he realized what must have happened, he reached out and rolled the boy over. A small sigh of relief escaped him when Kazuma shifted and moaned softly without awakening. He's still alive...

Ryuhou rubbed his eyes and shook his head in an attempt to clear away the residual dizziness and exhaustion. Squinting in the dim light, he tried to take stock of their temporary shelter. It wasn't much--the cave widened slightly from the mouth, through which muted moonlight provided the only illumination. Catching a brighter gleam out of the corner of his eye, he crawled further into the cave to investigate. Near the back, a deep, clear pool of water had gathered, fed from above by the intermittent dripping which had insinuated itself into Ryuhou's dream.

Gratefully, the green-haired Alter user dropped to his knees by the water's edge. After splashing his face, he drank deeply of the cool liquid. Feeling revived, he sat back on his heels and looked over his shoulder at the still-unconscious Kazuma. Maybe... some water might help him too, he thought, wondering again why he cared. By all rights, he should have left the other hours before. Why was he bothering so much about keeping his rival alive? But... it just wouldn't be right to let the man die without a fighting chance. It wouldn't be a fitting end for such a warrior.

His mind made up, Ryuhou stood and moved behind his companion/enemy. Sliding his hands under Kazuma's arms, he lifted and dragged the boy closer to the water. He settled with his back against the rough stone wall, Kazuma reclining between his bent knees. The older boy reached out and scooped up a bit of water in his cupped hand. Tilting Kazuma's head back against his shoulder, he dripped a little water into his mouth, being careful not to gag him. Feeling the young man swallow, Ryuhou repeated the action, managing to get a few scoops of water into the other. He slapped Kazuma's face lightly with his wet fingers, but the other Alter user didn't rouse.

Ryuhou frowned. Kazuma's body felt far too warm, and his breathing was coming in short, shallow gasps. Feeling for a pulse, he frowned even deeper when he found it to be weak and erratic. Suddenly, Kazuma convulsed, coughing violently. Ryuhou quickly leaned the younger man to the side, cringing as dark red blood splattered the floor. The fit passed soon, and Kazuma's body went limp. Ryuhou tugged him back against his chest hesitantly, hoping the other wouldn't start choking again.

What am I going to do now? He couldn't just leave Kazuma here, defenseless, sick, injured--he was sure the boy wouldn't last long. He doubted he had enough strength to carry the other very far, either. Already he could feel the seductive pull of sleep beckoning him. He shivered--the rock wall and floor were sucking the heat right out of his body. Wrapping his arms tighter around the redhead, he closed his eyes, banging the back of his head lightly against the wall.

Ryuhou suddenly felt a strange fear clutch at his heart. He was faced with the very real possibility that Kazuma might die, here in his arms. As many times as he'd fought and tried to kill the man, he found that he desperately didn't want it to happen this way. "You can't die, except by my hand, Kazuma," he said softly.

But... what could he do to make sure the other Alter user survived the night? He didn't have a healing Alter power like Shiirice or Asuka. But maybe... maybe he could still do... something.

Closing his eyes, Ryuhou let his Alter power surround him, the greenish light casting eerie shadows in the cave. He concentrated on not actually calling forth Zetsuei, just letting the raw energy fill and encompass him and the man he held. Placing his hands on Kazuma's chest, he focused on transferring his power to the other, sharing his strength. He nearly lost his concentration when he felt his hands begin to slide into Kazuma, but he regained his composure quickly, remembering that this was the way Shiirice's Alter had worked. "Eternal Devotion," he murmured. Perhaps some of her Alter had transferred to him when she brought him back to life, or maybe he was learning to imitate other Alters... whatever it was, he could feel Kazuma's body beginning to repair itself under his hands.

As Ryuhou began to perceive the drain on his own body, he was struck by how oddly... intimate this was. He felt as though a part of him was transferring to Kazuma, yet there was a reciprocation as well. It was almost as though they were merging completely into one being, and Ryuhou had to try hard not to lose himself. Was this what Shiirice experienced as she pulled him back from death's grip?

Afraid of what might happen if he poured too much of his energy into Kazuma, Ryuhou withdrew with some difficulty. He hoped it would be enough. He couldn't give any more without having the danger of sacrificing himself as Shiirice had done. Luckily, Kazuma wasn't dead, just badly hurt, so not as much was required to heal him. Ryuhou felt his Alter power dissipate as an overwhelming exhaustion swept over him. Resting his chin on Kazuma's shoulder as he succumbed to the inexorable pull of sleep, Ryuhou drowsily thought that the other didn't feel quite as feverish anymore.

When Ryuhou awoke, it was to the first rays of sunlight creeping their way through the cave entrance. The green-haired man blinked several times, trying to get his bearings. A heavy weight rested in his arms, and he looked down to see red hair and the side of a pale, scarred face. His heart hammered for a brief moment until he determined that his companion was still breathing. Checking for a pulse, Ryuhou sighed quietly as he found it to be slow, but steady.

Kazuma shifted and groaned softly, his eyelids fluttering. Realizing that the younger man would probably awaken soon, Ryuhou eased the other off his lap and onto the rocky floor. Moving across the cave, he sat cross-legged against the opposite wall to wait.

Only a few minutes later, Kazuma sighed and turned his head, his good eye blinking sleepily at Ryuhou. "How are your wounds?" the elder Alter user inquired, before Kazuma had a chance to speak.

The redhead groaned and sat up, rubbing his head. "I'm fine, except for my head trying to split itself open. And the fact that you're here," he grumbled. "What'd you do, anyway?"

Oh, nothing, only saved your life, Ryuhou thought, but kept it to himself. "I'll be leaving, then," he said instead, rising to his feet.

Kazuma gestured absently toward the door, his other hand still clutching his head. "Fine. Go. I'm too tired and my head hurts too much to kick your ass anyway."

Ryuhou clenched his fists, but didn't rise to the bait. "Until later, then," he said formally, his back stiff as he turned toward the exit.

"Oi, Ryuhou..."

The green-haired man stopped, looking back over his shoulder. Kazuma's mouth opened and closed several times as though he were wanting to say something, but no words emerged. Finally he cleared his throat and turned his face away. "Aw, never mind. Get out of here."

Ryuhou nodded and walked out of the cave, squinting in the bright sunlight. I understand, Kazuma. You're welcome. A small smile quirked one corner of his mouth as he directed his steps toward home. Don't think it means I won't kill you later, though!

To Be Continued...