Saiyuki Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ This Sucks ❯ Not The Only One ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or Saiyuki. They are beyond my ownership.
 
A/N: Thank you for reading my newest story and for those of you that have already added me to your favorites and such thank you. I'm surprised that this (as well as my other newer story) has caught as much attention as it has. It's a nice surprise to know that you enjoy reading this as much as I like writing it.
Let's see what can I say? I'm really sorry first of all. I know the poll said that NGFL? was the most requested update but I unfortunately found myself stuck at a spot that I need to polish before I'm willing to post it and then next up after that I believe was Normal Life with this in the third.
So how did this end up the winner? Well I was inspired during my three weeks of hell at AT and this is what came of it. I really am sorry for anyone upset but I promise I'm trying to work through the kinks of NGFL? so that I can have it updated as soon as possible and I also do have a chapter of Normal Life written that I still have to type up and get beta(-ed) so look forward to that too. Thanks for all your patience.
 
This sucks
ForestSprite (SKnFS)
Chapter 6
 
It had been something of a bad day for Kagome. First there had been that pervert who was worse than Miroku at almost any given moment and secondly since she hadn't been quite cleared in the health area the mysterious and enigmatic Hakkai had talked the mighty Sanzo into dragging her along with them which meant running into demon after demon that were dead set on stopping the Sanzo party.
 
This also meant trying to stop the new “member”, or as Kagome tried to inform the overwrought demons “hostage”, from getting through too.
 
After successfully avoiding any conflict in Jeep, the group managed to fight back the demons and Kagome found herself never having to show that if it came down to it she could most definitely fight and probably win… especially against a lot of these guys.
 
That was hardly the point though. The point was that she had almost been a target and she could have sworn that the Shikon had flared at one point and time during a battle because she was pretty sure she suddenly had a lot of demons aiming for her. That should not have happened.
 
At all.
 
Miroku had told her with the current seal she had on it not even Naraku should be able to find it on her person unless he physically searched for it himself which she would most definitely prefer he not do. Ugh… those tentacles… Need she say more?
 
So, finding herself a little frustrated as soon as the group found a spot to camp out for the night she offered to find food and cook for the night so she could get some alone time and vent that frustration that was slowly taking over her.
 
Kagome tightly gripped the Shikon in her hands and ripped it from her neck barely feeling the pain as the chain pulled tight against her skin before snapping. She hurled the fragmented rock with an angry growl watching as it disappeared from view in satisfaction and slight worry, that is until she realized resting in her curled up fist was the very stone she had just thrown.
 
Kagome could feel tears well up in her eyes even as she struggled to keep them back. “Why? You're ruining my life,” she angrily accused the stone opening the tight fisted-white knuckled grip she had to peer at the happily sparkling pink stone from hell. It was because of this stone-because of her- that so many bad things had happened. There really was no way around it and to top it off when she throws it here it comes right back to her where as in the Feudal Era it would stay wherever it was tossed to? What the hell? Did the jewel sense that something was wrong and decide it was necessary to stick with her if it ever hoped to be pieced back together?
 
Brown eyes narrowed angrily on it as she let out a hateful, “I hate you. You and those four goddamn souls residing in you. Make friends, play nice, be happy and cease to exist already. How long must you cause this suffering?”
The pink dulled to a light purple for just a moment before brightening back up again.
 
---------------------
 
He watched her carefully-violet eyes thoughtful and assessing. She'd been brooding for awhile now. Ever since that last battle he knew she'd been blaming herself for not being there for… her. Hell he'd been blaming himself as well but he was still able to realize that it really wasn't his fault, just as it wasn't really any of their faults, but she would never realize that.
 
He also knew when it was late at night and she thought everybody was asleep she would sneak out of the hut and search for their missing companion only coming back shortly before sunrise, dead tired and just barely able to stand up right to walk to her bed, for a couple hours of sleep, before they'd all get rudely awaken by their “fearless leader” to start another day of pointlessly searching for the remaining shards.
 
Everybody would brood in their own private way as they covered miles of ground only to return to the hut exhausted, frustrated and defeated just to begin the cycle all over again for the next day.
 
It was beginning to wear down on everybody, he could see that. Thing is, he wasn't her and didn't know how to salvage the situation. He had tried, but she was just a natural at it and… well… his special ability was conning people with fake exorcisms. If they didn't find her soon he wasn't sure what was going to happy to their merry little band of hunters but currently their future wasn't looking too pretty.
 
He let out a sigh as he watched his beloved jerk up quickly when she almost nodded off next to the fire- eyes blinking rapidly and head swiveling to see if anybody had noticed. With a small indulgent smile he turned his head away to seem as though he hadn't noticed so as not to upset and/or embarrass her.
 
In the words of their missing companion, one certain Kagome Higurashi, this situation sucked!
-----------
 
“I miss her,” Shippo whined childishly looking to the taller male that stood at his side for comfort of some kind. It had surprised the others when the boy had clung to his presence after she disappeared.
 
They all had expected him to do his usual rounds of accusations and angry yelling but he'd surprised them all by sticking to him like glue, obviously taking comfort by being near him- or maybe it had to do with the fact that while the other two were nice and all they hadn't been there during the revenge for his father like Kagome and Inuyasha had.
 
A large, heavily calloused hand dropped on bright red hair mussing it up affectionately. “Me too kiddo. Me too,” his voice low and rough was filled with pain at her loss.
 
Or maybe it was this side of him that the boy and Kagome knew that made him stay by his side.
------------
 
“You're upset,” he said coming up from behind her to casually lean against a tree that was across from her. He waved his right hand up that held his cigarette, looking at her in an inquiring fashion to see if she minded. She shook her head and he lit up smoothly taking a draw.
 
She found herself slightly amused by how he could make questions as statements. Nodding her head to confirm what wasn't really a question she answered, “I am.”
 
There was that long moment of silence she'd come to associate with his presence where he puffed on his cigarette and reflected in his mind before he'd say something undoubtedly profound.
 
“You're pretty dumb.”
 
… or pretty perplexing.
 
She quirked an eyebrow- part curious and part annoyance warring in her mind. “Excuse me?”
 
He drew another breath from his cancer causing stick, droopy violet eyes appraising. “You think too much. If you just went by the moment you'd have no time to worry or get upset but you keep thinking about what might have been or should have been. You're allowing yourself to be dragged down by all these invisible weights.”
 
There he goes with the profound; she thought fondly gazing at him carefully. “So what should I do then?”
 
He gave her that look, that How-dumb-are-you look. “Do I really need to spell it out for you?”
 
She gave a small smile. “No, I think I got it. Thank you.”
 
He shrugged, “Birds of a feather… or something like that I've heard.”
 
Her grin turned all innocent even as she internally wondered just how much he thought he had figured out all the while mentally wailing `This sucks!' she shook her head mockingly, “Now, I have no idea what you're talking about.”
 
End chapter
 
Wow! That was a long time coming. Thank AT for being so boring. I had quite of bit of time at night and in between missions to do some writing.
 
Hope you enjoy and have a good one.
 
ForestSprite (SKnFS)