Saiyuki Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ This Sucks ❯ Strays and talks ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or Saiyuki. They are beyond my ownership.
 
A/N: Thank you for reading my newest story and for those of you that have already added me to your favorites and such thank you. I'm surprised that this (as well as my other newer story) has caught as much attention as it has. It's a nice surprise to know that you enjoy reading this as much as I like writing it.
I do have some sad news for fans of my other fictions, particularly When The Darkness Takes Over. There are no current plans on updating them. I have talked to my long time friend and current beta and she has agreed with me that it is most definitely swimming in plot holes, clichés and is a general mess. (I really do love her for this because it's hard to get others to see what I'm trying to point out.) We are currently going over outlines and rough drafts for the redone version of this but I do not guarantee that it will be anytime soon. The first couple chapters will probably keep with a couple of changes but for the most part please expect some differences and hopefully a cleaner story.
Other than that thank you for your patience and on with the story!
 
This sucks
ForestSprite
Chapter 5
 
After the incident with in the kitchen with Gojyo, Goku had taken it upon himself to “protect” the girl from the kappa pervert… not that she really needed it after seeing firsthand the damage the girl had wrought to the red haired demon. The two could be found talking quietly by her bed as she continued to recover from her wounds or in the kitchen as she prepared meals for the group instructing the younger looking demon on what to do to assist her.
 
“Ah, and then you go like this,” she reached an empty hand out to his ear and with a flick pulled a coin out from behind, “and voila! It's magic,” she finished placing the coin in the boys eager awaiting hands.
 
“That was so cool Kagome!” Goku cheered while she smiled at him.
 
“It's nothing. My younger brother taught me that one but he knows a lot cooler tricks.” She sat back gazing at the boy speculatively. “You smile a lot, it must be a force of habit now,” she observed out loud catching him off guard.
 
His smile slipped for a second before it was back up. “I don't know what you're talking about,” he replied looking anywhere but at her face… until he felt his cheeks being pinched that is. He looked at her surprised. “What was that for?”
 
“You're so cute but you can't hide it from me,” she smiled gently when she caressed his cheek as if in apology this time. “I know from experience.”
 
He felt his breath catch in the back of his throat. She was no longer smiling… or anything. Her face was void of expression. “K-Kagome?” he asked worriedly.
 
In an instant she was smiling again. “Yes, I understand,” she said quietly but he wasn't sure if it was to him or just herself. “Excuse me, I need some air.” With that she stood up quickly and slipped out of the room.
 
“Wait, Kagome!” Goku said as he leapt to his feet to follow her when a voice halted his progress.
 
“She needs some time to herself. She's been mentally scarred somewhere along the line and even now she still feels the burden. You should understand something like that.”
 
The Monkey King turned to look at Hakkai who was leaning against the door frame, a thoughtful expression marring his usual kind face. “We dealt with most of the pain awhile ago but it's still fresh to her Hakkai. She needs someone,” he replied looking somewhat frantic. “She's in a place where she knows no one.”
 
“That may be for the best. It could be that the group she's been separated from is the cause of her trauma. Whether they did it knowingly or not is unknown.”
 
“But… that's horrible. How can you do that to a companion?” the boy asked looking aghast. “Especially her!”
 
“How indeed,” the demon hunter murmured. “However I don't think you have too much to worry about right now.” At the boys confused look he nodded to the window where they could see the female leaning against a trees when out of the shadows someone stepped next to stand by her pulling out a cigarette speaking to her which she shook her head too. It was presumably if she minded if he smoked as with a quick motion the lighter was pulled out and the tip of the cancer-causing stick was lit as he took a deep drag.
 
“What's he doing?” the boy asked both in awe and confusion.
 
“I do believe he initiated contact. I think the two of them sense something familiar in each other,” Hakkai said thoughtfully.
 
“Yeah, but what is he doing?” the boy asked again.
 
Hakkai grinned. “And to think that he wanted nothing to do with our stray. Sanzo-sama, you're a contradiction to yourself.”
---
 
“Shouldn't you be inside recovering?” Sanzo asked between drags, looking at her as if bored and this was all a formality
 
She suppressed the laughter that threatened to bubble out. `What a funny man,' she mused. `He is definitely too kind, no matter what he says otherwise.'
 
“These are hardly the worst injuries I've ever had. I just don't think I've had them all together in succession like this before is all,” she smiled faintly amused. “Seems I've built a certain amount of pain tolerance,” she added with a small laugh.
 
He quirked an eyebrow as the smoke encircled him. “Hardly seems funny to me,” he remarked.
 
She gave her secretive smile. “It isn't.”
 
They stood in relative silence. Her, soaking in the surroundings and him, finishing his cigarette. As he dropped the smoking stub to the ground, he crushed it with the heel of his foot before looking at her from the corner of his eyes carefully. “Do you understand the nature of our journey?”
 
“I'm very familiar with what you're going through Sanzo-sama,” she replied softly still looking out into the trees though he noted she somehow seemed sadder than before.
 
End chapter
 
Sorry, extremely short but I wanted to get something out. I'll hopefully have something longer next time around
 
ForestSprite