Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Gypsy Moon ❯ Chapter 1: I have no name ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Slayers or any of the characters in Slayers. That will be most of the characters in this story. And I do not own Gypsies. (Why does that sound weird?) However, the gypsy used in this chapter was created by me. Well, I hope you enjoy this first chapter.



"MOOOORRREE!" The small inn shook with the scream from the red headed girl. It turned heads and made the cooks in the kitchen shiver. The waiter bowed his head.

"Yes ma'am." He turned and began to speed walk back to the kitchen. Lina began to gnaw at some meat left on one of the bones. Gourry finished his drink and lifted his head to look at the 'starving' girl.

"Lina, weren't we on our way to do something?"

Lina lifted her head and swallowed her food. "Ah! Right! I almost forgot about going to visit Amelia." She leaned back in her chair and turned he head to face the kitchen. "Hey cooks! I'm running a tight schedule here! Better hurry up or you will find yourself burnt by a fireball!" She turned back around to Gourry. "We'll finish our journey to Amelia, right after food." The sorceress gave a low growl and hollered back to the kitchen again. "I DON'T HEAR FRYING!!"

Gourry sweat dropped and dove back in to finish off his plate of food, only to find that it was empty.

"Huh?"

"Ha ha! Snooze ya' lose, Gourry!"

It was Gourry's turn to growl low with frustration. Suddenly several waiters came rushing out of the kitchens door, hands high with plates. Platters of food were thrown on the table in front of Lina and Gourry.

"Ahhh~!" Lina's eyes sparkled as she became full of happiness being surrounded by her blissful food. She dove into the food on the plates as if her life depended on it.

Gourry began stuffing the food into his mouth as if it was about to disappear in less then a minute. Which it would, knowing Lina. However the swordsman couldn't help but keep staring at a man sitting a few tables away. His hood covered his head while a mask was pulled up over his face. The man sat at a table alone doing nothing but sipping his drink every few moments.

Gourry tapped Lina's plate with his fork to get her attention. However she was still to occupied stuffing her face. Gourry soon spoke with his mouth full.

"Mruuh'oi! Mrrina!" The sorceress didn't respond. Gourry swallowed his food before he spoke up again. "Oi! Lina!" Nothing. He got closer to her face so he could make sure she heard him. "OOOOIIIII!!! LIIIIIIINNNNAAAAAAAAAA-"

"I CAN HEAR YOU JELLYFISH BRAIN!" Lina screamed hitting him over the head with a chicken drumstick. "Can't you see I'm busy?!"

Gourry got back up on his chair, after being knocked to the floor. Who ever knew that chicken could have such an impact. He rubbed his head and pointed to the man.

"Ye' think that's Zel over there?"

"Mrr?" Lina said with her mouth full. She turned around and saw the lone man. "He,he. It's gotta' be!", she said, getting a grin across her face.

Yes, it was Zelgadiss. And for him it was unfortunate that he had happened to run right into his old traveling companions. How long has it been? Only a year. Yes, he did consider them his friends. His only friends. It wasn't like he didn't want to see them anymore. But he had more important matters to attend to. Like his cure.

"YO, ZEL!" Lina yelled, hitting him over the head with yet another drumstick.

Lina grabbed Zelgadiss around the neck as if to strangle him. Gourry, giving a less brutal hello, looked in the chimera's face and waved a welcoming hello as if he didn't notice Zelgadiss was choking to death. The chimera sighed, pushing Lina off of him.

"Lina, Gourry. A pleasure, as always." He said in a low voice. Lina took a seat across the table form Zelgadiss as if to force eye contact.

"So," Lina said with a happy smile. "How's the cure coming?"

She already knew the answer to that question. But it was something that she felt should be brought up. Not saying a word, Zelgadiss pulled down his mask, showing the duo that there was no change at all.

"I shoulda' figured as much." Lina sighed. "So, Zel. What are you doing out here near Saillune?"

"I bet it's something about his cure!" Gourry added. "Oh wait! Did you come to see Amelia too?"

Zelgadiss put his coffee mug down. " No, Gourry. I just heard that the priests have received a new magic book. Nothing else."

"And you want to see if it has anything to help you with your-"

"Yes Lina!", Zelgadiss said in a frustrated tone.

Gourry got a little nervous. Knowing Lina and Zel he knew that a fight might brew up and trouble would come about. He didn't want this to happen. Not after the three of them had all finally got together.

"I know!" Gourry said, deciding to take a seat down at the table himself. "Why don't we all go and see Amelia together. I'm sure she can get that spell book for you Zel!"

"Huh?"

"Great idea, Gourry!" Lina said standing up. " We can all go together!" Zelgadiss was losing his chance to put in a word.

"Hold on Li-" The sorceress grabbed the chimera's arm pulling him out of his chair.

"Gourry! Put some money down and pay the waiter!", Lina yelled as she dragged Zelgadiss along the wooden floor. Lucky for him, the splinters couldn't get into his stone skin.

"O-K!", the swordsman said, tossing gold and silver coins on the table. Zelgadiss sighed as he was tugged out the door.

"Oh cruel fate, why do you mock me?" He knew he wasn't going get out of this. He knew if he protested it would only mean a fireball in his face. So Zel decided he would try to look on the sunny side. He would get to Saillune. He could get to see the magic book. He would be with his friends. He would finally get to see Amelia again.... There was the problem. Zelgadiss could feel that weird pulling at his stomach again. The last time he saw Amelia, she had given him the bracelet. And for some reason, he couldn't explain why it suddenly meant so much to him. Oh well. They would be at the castle soon and-WHACK! "Ow! What the-?"

Zelgadiss finally snapped back in reality, only to realize that his face was being dragged across the dirt road. And as for what hit him? It was a pleasant rock sitting right in the middle of the road that had decided to greet him face to face. The chimera turned around and saw that both Lina and Gourry were each holding one of his legs and dragging him to the castle. To make matters worse, they were dragging him through the city of Saillune. Had he really been in such deep thought that he didn't realize this?

Zelgadiss blushed. He probably looked like some unloved corpse being dragged off to a grave. He shook his legs out of their grip.

"What in the name of L-sama do you think you're doing?!"

"Ahh!" Lina said turning around. "He's awake!"

"*Gasp*, I thought Zel was dead!" Gourry said in shock. And he wasn't even being sarcastic. Zelgadiss stood up and brushed himself off.

"Look, mommy! The dead man's alive!", a small girl pointed out.

Zelgadiss frowned and began to walk to the castle himself. Lina started to run behind him and was followed by Gourry.

"Hey! Don't leave us! Zel?!"

~*~ _ The giant door was closed silently behind Amelia as the princess left the room.

"Princess, I'm sure it will go away soon. Your father is the strongest man I know and-" The doctor looked up at Amelia. The princess didn't stare at him at first, but soon slowly lifted her head.

"Of course he will! My father is strong, and as long as he has justice on his side nothing can go wrong!" Amelia twirled around once and got into one of her many justice posses. "In the name of love and justice, and for my fathers sake, I shall make sure to banish this horrible sickness and have my father revived!!"

"Thank goodness.." One of the maids sighed with a smile across her face. The doctor approached the beaming princess and bowed to her before he spoke.

"I promise to come and check on your father within the week. Until he gets better he should not leave the bed. Make sure he gets plenty of rest and eats proper food."

"Of course!", Amelia said, turning around from the doctor to her attendants. "Please see the doctor out the door." Amelia turned back to the doctor and curtsied to him. "I thank you so much for checking on my father. Is there anything I can do to repay you before you leave?"

"Oh, of course not!" The doctor said, as he blushed with embarrassment. "It's a great honor already to be here in the palace." Amelia smiled at his comment and they said their goodbyes.

When the doctor left, Amelia knew exactly what would come. She would have to take her fathers place in the throne until he was better. This meant work, papers, and hundreds of attendants and council men crowding around her.

"Well, there isn't much I can do," Amelia said quietly to herself. She straightened out her dress and began to prepare for work, until one of her attendants came rushing over to her. He got down on one knee and lifted his head to face her.

"My lady, there are people downstairs who are here to see you. They claim to know you. One said that if she didn't see you she would throw a fireball in my face."

"Oh! It's Lina-san!" Amelia grabbed up her dress so she could walk and began to run downstairs. As she had expected, there was Lina, Gourry and Zelgadiss at the bottom of the stairs.

"HEY! AMELIA!" Lina shouted up.

"LINA-SAN!" Amelia ran over and the two friends gave each other a tight hug. Amelia let go and shifted over to Gourry.

"Hey Amelia! Long time no see!"

"Gourry-san!" She felt the swordsman wrap his arms around her and hug her back. "Oh! Zelgadiss-san! You're here too!" Amelia went over to the chimera and gave him a warm hug. The chimera blushed. He wasn'y sure why. Usually when she hugged him, it felt so common that he wouldn't blush at all. Maybe it had just been to long. But he found that he missed these hugs of hers. These warm and gentle affections that he thought he would never feel again.

"Hello, Amelia.", was all he could say. Amelia looked back up at him and gave a beautiful smile. She turned back to Lina and they hugged once more.

"Wow, Amelia. Nice dress. You look like a princess!" Gourry said, attempting a compliment. Lina hit the sword wielding idiot over the head.

"That's because she is!" Lina screamed. "So, Amelia. How have you been?! It must have been a year since we have seen each other!" Amelia nodded.

"Well things are a bit rough. Daddy's very sick right now, I'll be taking his place to take charge at the moment. But everything's fine, really! All is well."

"Oh man. I hope he gets better." Lina said with concern. Gourry sighed.

"Poor Prince Phil."

"Oh, um... It's king now." Amelia added. Lina gawked.

"King?! When did the old man croak?!" The comment caught Zelgadiss and made him hit Lina over the head. "What the hell?!" Lina screamed. Zelgadiss scoffed.

"Have some respect, Lina!"

"Well I don't think it's very respectful to go hitting people over the head!"

"You just did that to me this morning!"

"That was different!"

"How so?!"

"It was a friendly hello!"

"Friendly? You call hitting me over the head with chicken friendly?! And then putting me in a head lock? Maybe you should go join a wrestling team! Then you can all be friendly beating the crap out of each other and hitting one another over the head with things like brutal ogres!" No one said anything. The entire palace was silent. Amelia gulped.

"Oh no.."

Lina twitched. Gourry drew a bit closer to Lina and began to hear a chant that he knew had to be the Dragon Slave.

"Lina! Don't do it!" Gourry yelled grabbing her arms and pulling her back.

"LET ME KILL HIM! GOURRY, IF YOU DON'T LET ME GO I'LL THROW A FIREBALL IN YOUR FACE!"

"Yeek!" Gourry released Lina and Amelia ran to her side.

"Lina-san! Don't throuw fireballs in here, please!"

"He called me an ogre!" Lina said clenching her fists. Gourry moaned.

"Why can't we all just get along?"

"Lina-san. Zelgadiss-san. Please just make up. If you don't, we can't all go to the big dinner tonight!" Amelia pleaded. Lina stopped preparing her fireball.

"Dinner?" She looked over to Amelia and saw the princess nod. She turned to Zelgadiss and saw his stern face. "Fine. Lets call a truce." And the two of them shook hands. As they did, Amelia and Gourry were praying to L-sama and thanking her.

Amelia turned to her attendants and motioned for them to come over. The men walked over and took the travelers things from them.

"They will show you to your rooms. I have some business to attend to, so I'll see you at dinner." She waved goodbye to them and followed the royal council, which had been waiting for her at the top of the stairs, to a private room.

~*~

Amelia took a seat at the head of the room. In front of her was a desk, with several papers and maps spread across it. The princess lifted up her head and faced the council.

"What seems be the problem?", she asked. The men exchanged glances and swallowed. The first man, Renald, took a step towards the desk and faced Amelia.

"Princess, a war is being placed upon Saillune." Renald said softly. Amelia's eyes widened and she felt her chest tighten.

"A...War?" Each of the men nodded. Amelia took a few moments to calm herself down mentally. She didn't want a war to happen. And of all the times, why now? Why when her father was sick? "Do you know why?", she soon said. Renald faced her again.

"We believe it's because of greed and power. And our land does posses much white magic. But the details are still a mystery to us, so we can't say for sure." Renald gave Amelia more time to take in the new information.

"Very well," she said taking a deep breath and letting out a sigh. This was something she was not prepared for, but nevertheless she took the duty into her hands. "Who is placing the war on us? Where is-" Renald stopped her.

"Well, we have..um...a different source for those questions." The council stepped aside and revealed a new visitor. It was a young women who wore a cape and a hood covered her head. She was covered in jewelry and beautiful clothing. Her pants were baggy and puffed out and her stomach showed from the short and tight shirt she was wearing. She looked like a mystical gypsy. As she walked up and bowed to Amelia on one knee, her jewelry and pendants made a soft jingle. Renald swallowed.

"Princess, this is a..women, who claims to have our needed information." Amelia nodded and looked at the mystic, who stood up. The women's voice was beautiful and smooth. It was somewhat deeper than either Amelia's or Lina's.

"My lady. I thank you for letting me come here," she spoke. Amelia was nervous and tried to keep her voice from getting to loud.

"Oh, uhhh. It's nothing! Really!" The hood covered the mystic's eyes but Amelia could see her smile.

"No, it is a honor for me to be here. I'm sorry to hear about your father. I admit that I was expecting to see him and no-" Renald butted in.

"You have a great enough honor to see-"

"Stop Renald!" Amelia yelled standing up from the chair. She looked back at the gypsy like women. "I'm sorry you could not see him. I am King Phil's daughter. Amelia Wil Telsa Saillune. I'm taking his place until he gets better." The gypsy gave a kind smile.

"And I hope he does." She spoke as she held her hands together in front of her. Amelia smiled back and sat back down in the chair.

"Please, tell me, what your name is."

For some reason this made the gypsy fall silent. She gave a glance up at Amelia and rubbed her hands together in a nervous fashion.

"Must I?"

Amelia stared at the girl in confusion and quickly stopped Renald from yelling at the young women again. She turned to the gypsy.

"I will have a hard time trusting you if you don't. Why can you not tell us your name?"

The gypsy lowered her head in despair.

"I am truly sorry, princess..." She paused and knew she had the attention of everyone in the room. "I ask for your trust. Please, trust me without my name." Amelia listened carefully.

"This makes it seem like you are asking much of us?" Amelia questioned. The mystic lifted her head again.

"I am sorry. I really am. But it would be best if you would just let me tell you what I know" She stopped and looked at Amelia. "Would you mind if I told you the story first, princess?" Amelia felt a small amount of trust in the young women, even if she was not giving any basic information about herself.

"Yes, please do. Sit down, please." Amelia said as she motioned toward a chair.

~*~

Lina hummed a tune as she brushed her hair and sat on the ledge of the windowsill. A knock on the door stopped her.

"Come in!" The door opened quietly and Gourry entered the room. Lina smiled. "What is it jellyfish brain?" Gourry proceeded over to her and looked out the window. He hadn't said anything. Lina stopped brushing her hair. "Gourry? What is it?" The swordsman turned to Lina.

"Did you see what's outside the window, Lina?", he said, pointing out the window. Lina blinked once and put her brush down.

"Uhh, no." She turned and looked out the window. "There's nothing out there but whatever was there this morning."

"No. That's not true." A new voice added. Gourry and Lina turned around to see the chimera walk in with his arms folded.

"Hey! Why's everyone coming into my room?! A girl needs privacy here!" The two guys didn't listen to Lina but continued looking out the window. Lina huffed. "Oh, come on! What the hell is out there?! Are you becoming fascinated by my window's glass? Or are you turning all earthy like those damn druids by looking out at mother nature here?!"

"Hey, druids are very kind, Lina. Don't insult them." Zelgadiss said in a stern voice.

"Well I wouldn't be if someone would kindly tell me WHAT THE HELL IS SO FASCINATING ABOUT THIS DAMN WINDOW!!"

"It is not the window Lina, but what is outside the window," the swordsman said in a calm voice, putting emphases on 'outside'. Lina paused at what Gourry said.

"Gods Gourry, you sound like a friggen' philosopher."

"What's a philasomore? Does it taste good?"

Lina and Zelgadiss sighed at Gourry's stupidity and hung their heads. Zelgadiss put his head back up and pointed out the window.

"Lina. Look to the left. Do you see that wagon there? The one with the black horse in front to pull it?"

Lina's eyes gazed around to the left. Suddenly she did catch sight of the wagon and horse. It was getting dark outside but Lina could tell that the wagon must have been colorful. It looked almost like a small portable house. As if someone could live in it. There was a door in the back and steps that lead up to it. Some hanging cloths fell from the sides of the wagon and covered the windows. Lina scratched her head.

"Nice wagon... " She turned back to the two men staring out the window. She felt her hand ball into a fist and yelled. "YOU JUST WANTED SHOW ME A STUPID COLORED WAGON?!" Gourry tried to calm Lina down.

"No, no, no. Lina, listen to us. This is no ordinary wagon." Gourry said, patting her shoulder. Lina twitched.

"No ordinary wagon? Gourry I didn't think you were this stupid but-"

"It is who the wagon belongs to." Zelgadiss added. Lina turned to the chimera. "Gourry pointed it out to me. I didn't realize it until then. That's a gypsy's wagon. Or atleast," Zelgadiss paused for a moment. "Something maybe from a fairy tale."

"A gypsy?" Lina said in confusion. "How do you know that?"

"Did you see the women who walked in, Lina?" Gourry began. "When we came in, the royal council was waiting at the stairs for Amelia. I saw a strange looking women standing with them. She reminded me of these pictures I had of gypsys, that I saw in fairy tale books as a kid. My mom would always read me to sleep and tell me storys about-" Lina scoffed.

"And you think that this is some fairy tale?" she shot a look at Zelgadiss. "Some gypsy? So a gypsy came! Big deal!"

Gourry and Zelgadiss exchanged looks. They both turned back to Lina and Zelgadiss began.

"Don't you find it odd, Lina?"

"Why should I?"

"Well," Zelgadiss began. "Years ago, it was said that the race of gypsies had died out. Well, the gypsies were humans, but just stopped their gypsy ways. They left all their magic and all of their knowledge and just stopped. That was years ago." Lina listened carefully. "Besides, I have never even see wagons like that except in books." He finished.

"So you find it odd that one gypsy is still around? And that maybe she has a weird looking wagon?" Lina folded her arms and leaned back against the wall. Zelgadiss shook his head.

"No. It's not that. People still say that gypsies still exist in a city far off called Cymbalien."

"Wait a minute." Lina stopped Zelgadiss. "I've heard of Cymbalien.... In fairy tales! Just like these stupid wagons!" Lina huffed and stared at Zelgadiss and Gourry who still remained stern as they talked of the fairy tale city. "It's all a joke!" Lina continued. "Cymbalien doesn't exist! Why do you think it would be in fairy tales?! The Utopia of Magic?! It's all made up!" Lina stared out the window at the wagon again. "I know just what you are trying to say, Zel! You want me to believe that this gypsy came from Cymbalien! If that city really did exist I would be on my way there! That place is famous for magic! They say that you can find every spell you would ever need there! IT'S A SORCERESSES DREAM!" Lina stopped and thought about what she said. "Every spell.... Ever known to mankind... All the magic in the world...." She stopped and looked up at Zelgadiss and Gourry. "So, if gypsies are still alive....that means..." Lina squealed with joy. "HAHA!! CYMBALIEN COULD BE REAL!! LUUUUCCCKKKYYY!! HAHA! GYPSIES ARE ALIVE!!"

"Quiet!" Gourry said putting his hand over Lina's mouth. She was shocked at Gourry's reaction. "This is a gypsy we are dealing with."

"Yeah. It's like Xellos. Only human.", Zel said, adding his two cents. Lina removed Gourry's hand.

"I don't get it. What's so bad about gypsies? They go around, read fortunes, gaze in their crystal ball, whoop-dee-doo." She looked at Gourry and Zelgadiss. "Obviously I am not up to date on something." Gourry started to explain.

"They were also known to be dangerous.", He said, as Zelgadiss nodded and finished off.

"It's true. You are talking about a stereotypical gypsy, Lina. But most times they were known for being up to no good. They would trick people and manipulate them. They were thieves. Sometimes they came in bandit gangs." He took another moment to think. "Atleast that's how it was in the books. None of us even lived when gypsies were still alive. I wouldn't trust one at all. The bottom line is that they are also wise, and if one of them is here then something is wrong." Lina nodded as she took in what Zelgadiss had just said.

"Your right. I have heard things like that." She looked back out the window at the wagon. "But how can you tell if it was a gypsy?"

"Well, that's where being stereotypical comes in." Zelgadiss added. Gourry sighed and looked back out the window.

"What do you think? Is she going to trick Amelia into giving away the city?" Lina snapped her head around and shot a look at Gourry.

"No way! I'm not gonna' let that happen! After dinner, we'll talk to Amelia and see what's going on!" They were all looking out the window now. Suddenly a thought came into Lina's head. "Why the hell are we suddenly believing in fairy tales?" Zelgadiss thought for a moment.

"Well," he paused. "We don't believe them, were just being... cautious."

"Yeah! Cautious!" Gourry repeated. The room was silent again.

"YOU TWO ARE UNBELIEVABLE!", Lina screamed, hitting them both over the head.