Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Search for the Darkstar ❯ Those Who Serve the Gods ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: "Slayers" isn't mine, but belongs to Kanzaka Hajime, Araizumi Rui and those who represent them. I'm just borrowing the characters for a little while and will return them intact. Except for Gourry. He might be squished just a little. This story is set after the manga arc "Knight of Aqualord" and is an alternate take on the TRY season of the anime.
-----
Search for the Darkstar

Chapter 17: Those Who Serve the Gods
“You know, it would had made this slightly easier if one of them had come with us,” Filia commented as she squinted at the mountain range that grew closer as she flew toward it. She fervently hoped that this was the right mountain range. It would set the two of them back several days if they had made the wrong guess. “Lina-san and Zelgadiss-san had been here before. One of them would make an excellent guide. Amelia-san as well.”
Shizuri smirked at Filia's omission of the other two members of their party. Gourry and Lyos would had made excellent guards, but pitiful guides, though Lyos had a better shot at it than Gourry did. “Well, considering that Amelia is one of the royal princesses of Saillune and Zefielia is Lina's homeland, it would make sense for those two to go there. Gourry goes wherever Lina goes.”
“But Zelgadiss-san doesn't have any ties to Saillune. He could had gone with us.”
“Ah, Filia. My friend Filia.” Shizuri patted her neck comfortingly. “You have much to learn about the ways of love. Zelgadiss went with the princess for the same reasons that Lyos went along to see a certain priestess. Our chimera has a little thing for our princess.”
Filia gave a little snort of indignation. “We don't have time for romance.”
“Romance happens whether or not you wish for it to happen. If one or all of us dies in fulfilling this prophecy, then our lives would had been cut short before we truly get a chance to live them. We need these moments of happiness, so we can live for them. That's the way humans are.”
Filia didn't say anything for awhile and Shizuri decided that it was the end of the argument. It surprised her when Filia suddenly lifted her head. “I guess… I've never had much of a life beyond my duties. My father was a high priest at the Flarelord temple before his death. I was born and raised in the temple. I'm fulfilling this prophecy because I know it's my duty and I'm doing the right thing.”
“You did show a lot of guts by standing up to your elder,” Shizuri admitted, not quite sure she would had done the same if confronted with Zasu.
Filia didn't say anything for awhile and Shizuri wondered if it was because she didn't want to talk about what happened at the Flarelord temple. She shrugged. She'd talk about it when she was ready.
“I've never been in love,” Filia admitted after a few minutes.
“I have. It's a good feeling.”
“You have?" Filia's eyes went wide with surprise. "What happened to him, if I may ask?”
Shizuri gave a faraway smile. “Like some of us, he serves a higher power. I recognize that and realize that his duties are to the gods before me. I have the same view. He gave me a chance when no one else would give one to me. I truly believe that Ceiphied brought him into my life to show me what love is and give me a second chance. That's why I accept his priorities.”
“Do you miss him?”
“That's a stupid question,” Shizuri retorted and gave Filia's neck a light slap that she didn't even feel. “Of course I miss him. But he would had been disappointed in me if I hadn't gone to fulfill his wishes for me to explore this continent. There is a reason for me being here, and I suppose it's to help stop Darkstar from being summoned.”
“I see.” Filia angled her head and squinted through the sunlight. In many ways, she didn't see. She didn't remember her mother and her memories were of being raised to accept her role as a priestess and spend her life dedicated to serving Flarelord. It was the way of her people, she had been told. Yet humans could choose whether or not they could serve the gods. They could decide what they want to do with their lives and it made her feel a bit resentful.
She spotted a flash of gold, then her jaw dropped as she saw golden dragons, hundreds of them, flying over the mountains. “Shizuri-san…”
Shizuri looked up, her eyes growing wide when she took in the number of dragons. “I think we found it.”
Filia beamed. “Thank goodness!”
 
Several of the dragons suddenly switched direction and turned toward them. Shizuri lightly gripped Filia's hair and they hovered, waiting to see what would happen. Several of the dragons had weapons and Filia reared back slightly. Shizuri swore beneath her breath as the dragons formed a circle around them. She braced herself and wondered if she would be able to distract them enough for Filia to flee if they attempted to attack.
 
“You are a stranger to us,” one of the dragons announced. “We do not recognize your aura, nor that of the human you carry.”
 
Filia drew herself up as much as possible without knocking Shizuri off. “I am Filia ul Copt, daughter of Bazzard ul Copt, former high priest to Flarelord. I am a priestess to Flarelord and have come seeking aid from the one you call Milgazia.”
 
The dragons said nothing, then the one who originally spoke inclined his head. “We have been expecting you. Please follow, Filia-san.”
 
Shizuri let out the breath that she hadn't realized until that moment she'd been holding. The circle of dragons did not break, but provided silent escort into the heart of the mountains. As they approached a ledge, Shizuri spotted evidence of a great battle. A little shrine looked to be destroyed and there was big gouges of rock torn out of the side of the mountain. She wondered if that was where Lina had fought prior to Gourry being kidnapped by Phibrizzo.
 
The dragons led them past the battle site to a series of buildings. As they lowered to the ground, they transformed into their human forms. Shizuri jumped and Filia did the same. They moved close to each other and gave their escorts a wary eye.
 
“Ah, here they are, Milgazia-sama!” An elf girl bounded out of one of the buildings, carrying armor in one hand. “It's just like you thought!”
 
A taller man dressed in white, golden hair flowing down his back, followed the girl. He nodded to her and approached Filia and Shizuri. The circle of dragons parted as he made his way into the circle. He stopped a few feet away from them and gave them a considering look. “I am surprised that Lina Inverse isn't with you.”
 
“Lina-san is conducting business elsewhere at the moment. My name is Filia…”
 
“I know who you are, daughter of Bazzard ul Copt.” Milgazia's eyes softened for a moment. “You look very much like him.”
 
Filia startled. “You knew my father?”
 
“Very well. I also knew your mother. Unfortunately, I did not see him before his untimely demise since the barrier was erected prior to his death. Xelloss?”
 
Filia shook her head. “No, Xelloss did not attack our tribe.”
 
“It is a good thing.”
 
“Father died of illness. He wasn't in any pain,” she added.
 
“That is also a good thing.” Milgazia's eyes hardened again and Filia swallowed slightly, trying to ignore the fear that started to develop. “I have been asked by the elder at your temple to have you arrested on sight should you make an appearance in these mountains.”
 
No! Filia backed away, trembling. Shizuri grabbed her arm, partly to steady her and partly to make it easier to try to make a run for it.
 
“You do not have reason to fear, Filia. I won't arrest you.”
 
Filia's self control eluded her for a moment and her jaw dropped. “You… You won't, Milgazia-sama?”
 
“No. Please follow me.” Milgazia headed back into the building he had emerged from with Memphis moments earlier. Filia and Shizuri followed, still on their guard.
 
The building was lined with shelf after shelf of books. Along the far wall, a similar setting of shelves held rolled up scrolls. The wooden structure jutted from the face of the mountain and the actual interior was a lot deeper than either of them expected. There was no decoration on the ceiling or any of the exposed walls. Rugs were scattered over the floor and several couches had been placed around the room.
 
“This is my personal library,” Milgazia told them. “The official library and the temple itself are further inside the mountains, surrounded by a special ward. We have had to take precautions since the unfortunate incident that happened during the Kouma Sensou.”
 
If that's what you call an arrogant Mazoku wiping out a good bit of your tribe, Filia thought a bit bitterly as Milgazia indicated a circular table in the center of the room. He took a seat and the girls followed suit. He signaled to to the elf girl. “My apprentice, Memphis Linesword. Have Madeline bring us a pot of tea and some snacks.”
 
A look of indignation crossed Memphis' pretty face before she nodded and walked briskly out of the library. Milgazia watched her go with a slight smile. “She hates these types of tasks, which is why I dole them out to her. She must learn the patience that comes along with them.”
 
Filia and Shizuri nodded. They both sympathized with her completely.
 
Milgazia's attention turned to Shizuri. “I do not know much about you. You are an illusionist from what I hear, and you say you're in service to Aqualord.”
 
“That's right. I've sworn myself to the Temple of Aqualord in the city of Titou.”
 
“Kunan Country, correct?”
 
Surprised, Shizuri nodded. “Yes, that's right.”
 
“Don't look so shocked. Titou is quite an old city and was around before the Mazoku barrier was erected. It is in a land without dragons, yet we are familiar with the worship of Aqualord and Airlord that the humans do on that continent. You'll find these days that on this continent, pretty much all the information about the lands beyond the Mazoku barrier is confined to these mountains and that is old information indeed. I am planning to follow in the kingdom of Saillune's footsteps and send out some emissaries to update our libraries.”
 
Milgazia nodded to Memphis as she walked back in with the tray of tea and snacks. “Thank you,” he told her before turning his attention back to Shizuri. “You are not a full priestess?”
 
“I have no desire to be one. You do not have to become a priestess to swear yourself to the temple.”
 
“Interesting,” Milgazia replied and accepted the cup of tea from Memphis. “Don't go, I need you hear for the first part of my talk with Filia and…Shizuri, am I correct?”
 
Shizuri nodded and Milgazia went on. “A couple months ago, I received a visit from an old friend of mine from the Flarelord temple in the southern lands. I was surprised, but was expecting it since I knew the barrier had gone down after Phibrizzo's defeat. In fact, I wondered why it had taken so long for the Flarelord temple to try to reestablish some sort of contact with this one. He told me about the prophecy and the events that transpired when Lina Inverse and her group came down to discuss it with your elder.”
 
“That did not go very well,” Filia said in a diplomatic tone. Shizuri stared at the ceiling and repressed a snort. That was quite like saying that having a meal with Lina and Gourry was an “interesting experience.”
 
“Your elder is not very happy with you, Filia-san.” Milgazia gave her a serious look that nearly had the younger dragon squirming in her seat. “He has requested that I arrest you on sight and return you to him. Preferably alive, but he would accept dead as well.”
 
Shizuri immediately scooted her chair back, ready to leap to her feet. Memphis's hand moved to her weapon. Milgazia held up a hand and shook his head. “There's no need for that. I have decided to reject the Elder's offer and instead allow Filia sanctuary here. If I hadn't, the two of you would had never been allowed to enter in the first place. I am not one to trap my enemies with false hospitality.”
 
Shizuri gradually lowered herself into her seat and looked over at Filia. The priestess' eyes were wide and unseeing. Her face had gone completely white and her tail had fallen from beneath her skirts. She trembled violently and pressed a hand to her mouth. Without warning, she quickly turned to her side and vomited on the rug.
 
Shizuri sprang from her seat and patted Filia's back. “Hey, pull yourself together, Filia.”
 
“I…I…”
 
“Here.” Shizuri yanked her handkerchief out of her pocket and pressed it into Filia's hand. Filia pressed it to her mouth and gagged. When Shizuri offered her tea, she waved it away for a moment before straightening. Hands shaking, she accepted the cup and sipped at it to rinse the sour taste out of her mouth.
 
After a moment, she set the cup down and looked at Milgazia, tears shimmering in her eyes. “I apologize, Milgazia-san, I didn't mean to be ill like that.”
 
His face softened. “You are young, Filia. Youth never expect to meet the cruelties of life the way you have. I will send for someone to clean it up. You and Shizuri-san can go rest for a little bit. We have much to discuss, but I wanted to let you know where my tribe stands. We stand with you and we stand with Lina Inverse.”
 
“Why?” Shizuri asked, her arm around Filia's shoulders.
 
“Lina Inverse originally came to us nearly two years ago escorted by Xelloss. I was, naturally, not inclined to let her pass. She wanted to see the Claire Bible. However, I had been reassured that Lina wanted to do this for reasons beyond herself. There was a threat to us all at the time and Lina obviated it. Since then, I have trusted her. The other reason has to do with our segregation from the golden dragons in the southern lands. It is a story that will take some time to tell and I believe has everything to do with your search for the Darkstar weapons.”
 
Filia's eyes went wide and she lowered the handkerchief. “You mean, you know where the final Darkstar weapon is, Milgazia-san?”
 
He nodded. “I believe I do.”
 
Shizuri let out a whoop. “We hit the jackpot, Filia!”
 
“This is wonderful!” Her eyes shining, Filia withstood the urge to race around the table and throw her arms around Milgazia. Things like that simply weren't done. Instead, she bowed as low as she could since she was still seated. “I thank you from the bottom of my heart, Milgazia-san.”
 
“You may not thank me before this is over. Memphis,” Milgazia said, motioning to the elf. “Make preparations to locate Lina Inverse and her party. You are to bring them straight here.”
 
“The rest of our party has divided,” Filia explained and gave Milgazia the locations of where Amelia, Zelgadiss and Lyos had gone in Saillune and where Lina and Gourry had gone in Zefielia. Memphis nodded and left the room.
 
Milgazia stood. “It will be sometime tomorrow before Lina Inverse and her party arrives. I will show you two to guest rooms and you can rest. I will send someone up to assist you with your illness if need be.”
 
“No, it's not necessary, thank you,” Filia replied.
 
“I see. Then how about we take a walk? That is, if you don't mind, Shizuri-san?”
 
“Not at all.” Shizuri rested a hand on Filia's arm. “You sure you're going to be okay?”
 
Filia gave her a wan smile. “Yes, I'll be fine. Thank you, Shizuri-san.”
 
“Please. Drop the honorific. You just lost your lunch in very close proximity to my feet. I think that's enough to have us bypass the formalities.”
 
Filia blinked, then grinned. “Okay, then, Shizuri.”
 
——-
 
Milgazia escorted Filia along a path, pointing out various buildings that made up the town buried deep into the mountains. He motioned toward the large temple to Aqualord that lay in the center of the town. All of the other buildings spread out from it and reminded her somewhat of Saillune during the visit she had made to find Amelia before learning that she had traveled to Kunan on a diplomatic mission.
 
“All of the dragons that live where you are have pledged their lives in service to Flarelord,” he commented as they walked past the temple.
 
“Yes, that's right,” she acknowledged. “Those who aren't priests or healers are soldiers. We have a few in what you would call a servant role, but we call them nuns. Everyone is required to spend many hours in prayer daily to Flarelord. Is that not how things are done here?”
 
“No. I'm not a priest to Aqualord. I am in service to her, I honor her always, but I am not a priest. I suppose I am a lot like your friend, Shizuri.”
 
Filia bit her lip. “Then, how are you leader of the golden dragons here?”
 
“Age. Wisdom. I've seen a lot. I'm not as old as your elder, but I am getting there.” Milgazia closed his eyes and saw the destruction of caused by the Kouma Sensou as clearly as if it had just taken place. “I have witnessed the massacre of our people by Xelloss. I was there when the Mazoku barrier was erected and communication cut off with all tribes of dragons. I won't go into it too much. I only want to tell the story once.”
 
Filia nodded. “Could you at least tell me why you've chosen to give me sanctuary?”
 
Milgazia gave her a sharp look. “I gave you my reasons, Filia-san.”
 
“Yes, I know that,” Filia hastily said and hoped that she didn't come off as impudent. “But you gave me your reasons for helping us fulfill the prophecy. You didn't explain why you offered me sanctuary.”
 
“You haven't accepted it.”
 
“I know.” Filia turned away and stared at one of the nearby mountains. She saw the destruction that she and Shizuri had spotted earlier when approaching the mountains. She sighed and pressed a hand to her stomach. “I'm quite not sure what to think at the moment, Milgazia-san. I walked away from my temple several months ago knowing that there was a chance that I wouldn't be accepted back. I never dreamed that my elder would wish for my death.” She closed her eyes and a tear rolled down her cheek. “I thought I was doing the right thing.”
 
Milgazia didn't say anything for a moment. He clasped his hands behind his back and stared at the battlefield where Lina Inverse had once fought Gaav, the Demon Dragon King. “The right thing. It changes based on the person you're talking to at the moment. What Valgaav and Almayce are doing…they feel that it is the right thing as well. In his own way, your Elder also believes he is doing the right thing. Everyone has their reasons for their actions. Some are for revenge. Some are for themselves or a small circle of loved ones. Others are doing it for the sake of everyone. What I've seen of your actions indicates that you are trying to do this for the sake of everyone.” He gave her a small smile. “You are more suited to being a priestess of Aqualord than of Flarelord, young Filia.”
 
“What makes you say that?”
 
“You remind me of someone I know.” With one last look at the ruined Claire Bible temple, Milgazia indicated a group of buildings. “It is late and tomorrow will be a very long day. You will sleep now. Think over my offer. I'll wait on your answer. You have bigger worries at the moment.”
 
——-
 
Filia and Shizuri stayed in a separate building reserved for the occasional human visitor. When they stepped into the small dining room the next afternoon, they found a whirlwind of chaos and destruction, along with scraps of food from what had once been a meal big enough to feed a small army.
 
In other words, Lina and Gourry had arrived.
 
“Did you not leave us anything?” Shizuri said in greeting, sitting across from them.
 
Lina bit into a sandwich. “A girl gets hungry when she's stuck up in the air for several hours flying.”
 
Gourry rested his head on his arms and his face, from what Filia could see, was about the same shade of green as the lettuce on Lina's sandwich. She smiled sympathetically at him. “You're still not doing any better with your flying, Gourry-san?” His reply was a strangled moan.
 
“C'mon, big guy,” Lina said, nudging a cup of tea toward him. “Here, drink that. It'll settle your stomach. I've already cast Recovery on you. We'll have Amelia look you over when she gets here.”
 
Gourry took the tea, stared into the cup, then bolted from the room.
 
“He made the mistake of eating breakfast before we came here,” Lina explained. “Memphis came just when we were going to head to Zefiel City. She didn't elaborate much on why she wanted us here. She left us to go get Amelia, Zel and Lyos. They should be here in a couple of hours.”
 
“You didn't have any luck with the weapon in Zefielia,” Shizuri commented.
 
“No. What's worse is that Jillas, the rotten little fox, got the Sword of Light.”
 
“What?” Shizuri and Filia shrieked. Filia's eyes flashed with anger. “Lina-san! How could you let the Sword of Light get away from you?”
 
“Hey!” Lina jabbed a finger at Filia. “I didn't exactly plan on this happening!” She told the two about the false wedding temple and how Jillas had knocked Gourry out with a sleeping powder. She omitted various details, namely everything that happened after Jillas took the weapon. “By the time I found Gourry, Jillas was long gone. I had to get the effects of the powder reversed, because I wasn't about to drag around a couple hundred pounds of dead-weight jellyfish.”
 
“Well, this is wonderful.” Filia lifted her hands and dropped them limply back in her lap. “We've got to go hunt down Jillas now with the weapon.”
 
“No, it means we've just got to get two weapons back from Valgaav when we face him,” Lina said. She shot Filia a nasty look that she hoped got the point across that she didn't want to talk about it any further. Her mood was already sour enough with the loss of the Sword of Light paired with Luna's interpretation of the prophecy.
 
Amelia, Zelgadiss and Lyos arrived about an hour later. They quickly consumed what remained of the food. Gourry, whose stomach had finally caught up to the rest of his body, even ate close to what he considered a normal meal. When they were finished, two dragons came in and cleared the tables. They told the group to stay, then Milgazia entered along with Memphis.
 
Lina stood and the two shook hands. He indicated for her to sit down, then walked around the table to stand between Filia and Shizuri. He placed several scrolls on the table in front of them. “We all know the reason why you're here, so I will pass with the formalities,” he began. “I have been aware for awhile about your search for the Darkstar weapons.”
 
Milgazia unrolled one of the scrolls and spread it out on the table. It showed an elaborate sketch of a dome-shaped building with a pillar in front of it. “This is the place where you will be headed to. It is in a frozen land in a part of the world that your tribe is hesitant to admit exists, Filia."
 
She traced her finger over the symbol sketched into the top part of the pillar and closed her eyes. I've seen this before somewhere, I'm sure of it.
 
Milgazia motioned to Memphis and she unrolled a second scroll in front of Lina. It turned out to be a map. Lina recognized the lands were once contained within the Mazoku barrier, everything beyond that was completely foreign to her. Memphis dipped a quill in ink, then circled a part of the map on the very southern end.
 
Filia leaned over to inspect it. “My temple would be located around here,” she said, and tapped a spot that was a good bit north of the place where Memphis had circled. “I wasn't aware that the Golden Dragons had built a temple so far out on the frontier.”
 
“That's because the temple wasn't built by the Golden Dragons.” Milgazia stared at Filia long and hard and silently waged an internal war he had constantly fought with himself since discovering the search for the Darkstar weapons. “This temple was built by a tribe of dragons known as Ancient Dragons.”
 
“Ancient Dragon?” Filia frowned up at him.
 
“That's what Valgaav is, isn't he?” Amelia spoke up. “He's an Ancient Dragon that somehow acquired Mazoku powers.”
 
“From Gaav most likely,” Lina confirmed.
 
“So, do Ancient Dragons still exist?” Lyos wondered.
 
“Well, they've got to if Valgaav's one of them,” Shizuri told him.
 
“But, I would had seen some before now if that was the case.” Filia turned back to Milgazia. “Did they go extinct during the Kouma Sensou? Did Xelloss wipe them out?”
 
He shook his head. “That I do not know. They are rather a reclusive race. The last I had heard of this tribe of dragons, it was shortly before the Mazoku barrier was erected. The Mazoku were turning their attention fully to Aqualord, because she was the most defiant out of all of Ceiphied's subordinates. As a young dragon, I accompanied an expedition to this very temple to seek assistance from the Ancient Dragons. They declined to help us, claiming that they wished to maintain neutrality. Unlike the Golden Dragons, which tend to align themselves to one of the gods, the Ancient Dragons either tend to worship no god or Ceiphied herself.”
 
“What were their reasons for not joining the war?” Zelgadiss asked.
 
Milgazia folded his hands in front of him. “They said that it would lead to the use of a weapon that was too powerful to ever be used. They feared that the balance of the world would be knocked askew. It was a weapon that had recently been discovered, but they had already done intensive research on it and realized it was an enormously powerful weapon. They were in the process of sealing away this weapon when we arrived. Aqualord had instructed us that if the Ancient Dragons did not wish to take part in the war, then we weren't to pressure them.”
 
Filia remembered something that her Elder had said when they had fought Valgaav at the Flarelord temple. “Aren't they a violent race to begin with?”
 
Milgazia closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “Was this something that your Elder said?”
 
“Yes. He said that they were a detestable race and they had to be exterminated to save us all.”
 
“I can't agree with that. They gave us good hospitality and a brief respite from the war. We returned home with the promise that the Mazoku wouldn't come searching for them. They seemed to be, from what we saw, a very peaceful tribe.”
 
“Have they been exterminated?” Lyos asked.
 
“I don't know. If something happened to the race, it was after the barrier was erected.”
 
Lina tapped her fist to her chin. “If it's one of the Darkstar weapons and the Ancient Dragons sealed it away, that explains why its power couldn't be detected all these years. Whatever power Almayce detect was from the other weapons when the Mazoku barrier fell. What do you think?” she asked, directing a glance at Zelgadiss.
 
“It is definitely the most concrete location we have at this point for the weapon,” he said. “I think it's worth checking out. Maybe the Ancient Dragons will know something about the weapons, even if they don't have the last one.”
 
“Alright then.”
 
“There is one other location you might wish to check.” Milgazia picked up a quill and circled an area in the center of the map. “This location. It is where I believe that strange pillar of light is coming from.”
 
“It certainly couldn't hurt,” Lina acknowledged. She glanced at Filia. “Feel up to stopping there? I think that pillar of light is connected to all of this as well.”
 
Filia nodded. “Yes, I agree. It could be nothing, or it could be where Valgaav or Almayce is. If we can find them and get the two weapons he has back, we'll be in very good shape.”
 
“Alright!” Greatly cheered, Lina sat back. “We'll leave in the morning!”
 
-----
Author's Notes: Now we have everyone back together again, and some much-needed spotlight on Filia. At first, I was intending to shift everything regarding Valgaav's past, as well as what happened with the Ancient Dragons, to this chapter, but when I was rewatching TRY it just didn't work out very well. There was also another part to this chapter that sent it skyrocketing over 8,000 words. Since it goes off on a rather different tangent, I've turned it into the second Interlude chapter and it will be posted later this week. After the Interlude, we're going to be engaging in a good bit of action. And we'll finally see what Xelloss has been up to. Remember him?
For those who have not read Knight of Aqualord, Zasu is the head priest of the Aqualord temple that Lina, Gourry and Lyos visit in Titou. Shizuri is a member of his court. Not much about Shizuri's past is given in the story. I've taken a wild stab at it based off of what we see of her character.