Sonic Series Fan Fiction / Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ It Started With A Date ❯ Close to a Kiss ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Any character in this story does not belong to me.
 
It Started With A Date
 
Amy's POV
 
I couldn't believe he just did that. I had been waiting an eternity for this day to come, the day that I would go on my first date with Sonic the Hedgehog. I had been in love with him for so long, and when you are in love with someone as much as I am in love with Sonic, you would do anything to catch their attention, anything at all.
 
I was gutted when he stood me up. I remember how I charged into the front room, thinking that Sonic was hiding and ooh, boy was he gonna get it. He wasn't there. Then of course, Sam Speed turned up and as Sonic was nowhere to be found I spent the day with Sam, believing that he had been stood up by Sonic too. I was wrong. He had just stood me up. Sam was to race with Sonic in the evening, which is now.
 
When Sonic turned up, I really thought he was there for me, not for Sam. I just ran towards him, wanting to wrap my arms around him and feel his strong arms around me. No. He ran away towards Sam and the two raced off totally forgetting that I was there. I felt so hurt, and my heart filled with anger.
 
Now I simply watched the two race off together, forgetting at the time that I even existed. Well that's what it felt like. I'm starting to doubt that Sonic will even apologize for missing our date. I screamed into the air, before tears stung my eyes and I collapsed on the floor, crying.
 
Sonic's POV
 
I found myself smirking as I began to overtake Sam. I needed a good race to get that battle out of my head. I turned my head around slightly to see Sam catch up on me. I gave a trademark grin and gave a mere “See ya later!” before speeding off towards the Thorndyke's, where I live at the moment, just until we return to our own world.
 
I walk into the house, careless and simple, when a crowd of angry eyes met mine when I went into the living room. Cream walked up to me stiffly.
 
“Why did you do that to her Sonic?” she merely said, before taking off upstairs with Cheese. I scratched my head, a little confused about what she was talking about. Chris looked at me from the sofa.
 
“Why did you stand Amy up Sonic?” he asked. My mind suddenly snapped back into focus. Oh God, I left Amy at the beach!
 
“Shit!” I muttered before taking off outside the door again. I was unaware of everyone watching me head off at the speed of sound. I sped along the windy roads and in minutes I was there. I scanned the area for Amy and eventually, I saw her sitting there in the sand, tears in her eyes and streaked down in her face. I approached her slowly; nervous of her reaction, especially since I just ran off and left her there without telling her the reason why I missed our date.
 
I got nearer to the pink hedgehog, and was sweating a little from nervousness. Normally, I wouldn't be nervous from this sort of thing but for some reason, I was wet with sweat. “Um… Amy?”
 
Amy turned around and looked at me with jade green eyes. I felt my heart begin to thud and I didn't really know why. Amy's emotionless mask on her face turned to an expression of anger. She looked at me with tears still slipping down her cheeks. God, how I hate that Bokkun. Yet, I shouldn't have left her there like that. It's my fault.
 
“Why?” she whispered to me with an icy tone, “Why did you stand me up? Why did you leave me here?”
 
“I-I'm sorry Amy…” I tried to apologize but that's when Amy exploded.
 
“SORRY?! It took you forever to ask me out and when you finally do, you stand me up! Am I really that bad a person to hang out with, Sonic?! And then when you finally do turn up, you don't even think about me and you just run off with Sam! How could you?!”
 
I tried my best to calm her down but she continued what she had to say, “You made me feel like I… didn't exist… that I didn't matter… Why? Is it me? What's wrong with me?”
 
I had to say something. I found myself doing something I had never done before. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into a hug. I moved my mouth up to her ear and whispered, “Nothing's wrong with you Ames… it was me… I didn't mean to stand you up… Bokkun attacked today and was gonna try and get Eggman outta prison… I'm so sorry I hurt you… please forgive me…”
 
Amy pulled away for a bit and looked into my eyes. There goes my heart again, thudding loudly in my chest. “I… I'm sorry too… I forgive you, I guess…”
 
I hugged her again and got up, picking her up as well. “You ready to go back then?”
 
Amy nodded in my arms. I noticed how warm her body felt next to mine and it made my chest hurt due to all the thumping my heart was doing. I revved up my legs and sped off home with her.
 
XXX
 
I skidded to a halt outside the Thorndyke house and put Amy down, giving her a smile. “You okay?”

Amy nodded, giving me a sweet smile that made me feel like grinning like a fool for some unknown reason. “Just fine now,” she responded to my question. She stretched her hand out towards me and took it into hers. My heart thudded just a little harder and my hand tingled, drawing woozy feelings in my chest and stomach. My mind went into automatic and I found myself drawing closer to her. My eyes focused in on her lips and began to close. Just then, my mind snapped back into focus and I pulled away quickly before she got the wrong idea.
 
“Umm… shall we go inside?” I asked her, feeling my face going hot. Amy nodded, a blush appearing on her face. I took her hand and we walked inside, connected at the hands.
 
Amy's POV

I can't believe this. Just minutes ago, I felt like crap and now… maybe Sonic does have care for me. Right now, I was most probably completely red in the face. Could Sonic really have tried to kiss me? It seems so farfetched, but it could happen, right?
 
As we walked in to the house, my eyes kept drifting between his eyes and his lips. He licked his lips and my heart quivered. His hand held mine and it sent waves of ecstasy through my body. I just love being there with him. It made me feel whole and pure, like I'm invincible.

When we got inside, Sonic quickly removed his hand from mine and I could swear I saw his face light up in a pink blush. I could feel myself blushing too, so I placed a hand on my cheek to cover some of it. Sonic instantly walked off away from me yet in my heart I still felt like he was there with me. Cream suddenly appeared with Cheese following her.
 
“Hello Amy, are you okay?” she asked me, with shiny brown eyes. I gave her a sweet smile and nodded. “I'm just fine, Cream.”
 
She probably noticed that I'm blushing! I quickly placed my hand back on my cheek but Cream had already seen. “Why are you blushing Amy?” Cream asked politely. I looked at the floor.
 
“I'm n-not blushing…” I stammered but Cream saw right through me. “What happened with Sonic?”
 
I knew this was a battle I couldn't win so I gave in. I felt my face go even redder when I told Cream, “Sonic said sorry and just outside… I-I think he tried to k-kiss me!”
 
Cream's eyes widened, “REALLY?” she asked in fascination. I nodded and blushed even more, “Yeah but don't tell Sonic, just in case he didn't mean to… you know…”
 
Cream nodded and headed towards the kitchen to help Ella clean up the dishes. I went into the front room, collapsed on the sofa and watched television for a while.
 
Sonic's POV
 
I can't believe I tried to…
 
I mean, sure, Amy's a nice girl but nothing could ever happen between us. I'm not sure if I even want anything to happen between us. I'd never admit it out loud, but love is something that always seemed to scare me, mainly because if something happened to somebody that I cared about I would never forgive myself, especially if that somebody was Amy. I guess I just make believe that I don't care about her when I do. Still, we won't become an item ever. I just don't see it happening.
 
I went to one of my favourite spots: the rooftop. I settled there and laid back. Why did I try to do that? Why try and kiss Amy? Suddenly I heard a yell, “SONIC!”
 
I sat up as I heard my name being called and saw Tails leave the garage with a big wide grin on his face. “I saw you come in, what's up buddy?”
 
I shrugged my shoulders. “Nothing really, you?”
 
“Well, nothing much, but I DID manage to find some ways to improve the X Tornado, more speed, and add some more functions to the X Cyclone…”
 
I wasn't really listening. I zoned out and thought about what I tried to do. How could I have been so stupid to try and kiss Amy like that?! She probably hates me. Or even worse, she's fantasising about me liking her and that close encounter has made her believe that I do like her somewhere in my heart. I do like her, but if she ever figured that out… I don't know, I don't think it would be pretty somehow.
 
Tails must've noticed I had something on my mind because the next thing I knew was that Tails had flew up to the rooftop and sat beside me with a look on his face to suggest that he wanted to know what was on my mind.
 
“So what's up? You look like you've got something on your mind… so spill!” Tails teased.
 
I turned away from him so I didn't have to look at him but Tails put a somewhat firm hand on my shoulder and turned me to face him.
 
“I've known you for a long time Sonic. I know when something's up and right now, something's up. Am I right?”
 
I nodded. “Okay, maybe something's up but it doesn't mean I have to tell you, or anybody for that matter!” I claimed stubbornly.
 
Tails shrugged, “Fine, but if you want somebody to talk to, you can always come to me, you know that right?”
 
I nodded slowly as Tails took off with his tails and landed on the pavement below.
 
Tails' POV
 
I wonder what could be up with Sonic… he's been so distant ever since he came back from the beach with Amy. I scratched my forehead, trying to rack my brains. Damn, I've known Sonic for a long time but he still can be a confusing person to work out at times.
 
I headed upstairs to my room when I saw Cream and Cheese skipping along merrily. I gave a quick wave and Cream came over with a cheerful smile on her young face. “Hello Tails” she said politely.
 
“How's it going Cream?” I asked. Cream shrugged, “Nothing really. Amy's been acting weird since she got back with Sonic”
 
I looked up at those words. “Really? Amy too? Do you think that… something happened between them on the way back?”
 
“I'm not telling,” Cream said stubbornly, “I promised Amy.”
 
“Ah, you can tell me Cream. Then I might be able to find out what's wrong with Sonic and try and find a way to help him.”
 
Cream paused for a moment in thought about whether or not she should tell about Amy's secret. In the end, she looked up at me and said, “Amy said that she thinks Sonic tried to kiss her.”
 
I gasped in shock. Cream saw this as her chance to continue, “She said that outside, Sonic went all dazed and they got really close to each other, like he was gonna kiss her, but he snapped out of it just before they could, you know, kiss. Amy thinks that there's a chance that Sonic might actually like Amy…”
 
“As in… like-like? A crush?”
 
Cream nodded, “But you didn't hear it from me or anyone! It might not be what it seems!”
 
At that, Cream walked away, while I thought for a while. “I think it IS what it seems Cream… I think it is…”
 
XXX
 
I sat in my room, thinking about what Cream had told me. Sonic and Amy? As a couple? Sonic would probably kill me for saying it, but I always thought that Sonic and Amy were made for each other. Ever since I had first met Amy, and she started following us on our adventures, I had always thought that there might be a chance for Sonic and Amy.
 
I could never see Sonic with any other girl or Amy with any other guy. And nobody's stupid, we all know Amy is in love with Sonic. She practically shouts it from the rooftops, proud of her love for Sonic. But Sonic, when it comes to love, he isn't exactly brave. Sure, he could fight anything Eggman hits him with and face it with a great deal of courage, but he is most probably frightened of this emotion; love. Maybe it's to do with the fact that Sonic hasn't had a relationship before in his life, so the experience is all so new to him. Yet, Amy has never been in a relationship either. It struck me at that very moment how brave Amy really was, to be able to proclaim her love every single day.
 
I lay back in my bed, nightfall beginning to take place and I vaguely started plotting. If Sonic went on one date with Amy, what would come out of it? Well, Sonic would get to know Amy a little bit better and vice versa. And it might make Sonic a bit more comfortable around Amy. Also, Sonic missed their last date so this would be a chance to make it up to her. To be honest, it wouldn't have taken Sonic that long to beat Bokkun. I'm suspecting that Sonic DID stand her up after that, probably too scared to face her.
 
A glint came into my eye as I instantly thought, `Why not set Sonic and Amy up?'
 
But how was I going to do that? To set Sonic and Amy up, I needed help. I had a vague idea of what I would like to do but it needs money. That means I'd probably have to ask Chris or Chuck for help. Yet again, Sonic is the most famous hedgehog in the world so there's a high chance he'd get in anywhere for free. It can't hurt to try…
 
I rolled over and pulled my blankets over me, deciding to dwell on this in the morning. I was simply too tired to do anymore thinking at that point. I shut my eyes and drifted off into dream land.
 
XXX
 
Cream's POV
I leaned back and yawned, happy to have got such a peaceful sleep. I rolled over and tapped Cheese's shoulder. “Time to wake up Cheese…” I murmured. I slipped out of bed and wiped the sleeping dust from my eyes.
 
After making sure I was perfectly refreshed for the morning, I skipped downstairs and into the dining room to see Ella come out of the kitchen with a big grin on her chubby face. I smiled sweetly and faced her, “Good morning Ella.” I said. Ella smiled back at me, “Good morning Cream.”
 
She placed a bowl of cereal in front of me. I bowed politely and thanked her. My mother always told me it was important to remember manners. I munched on the cereal gratefully as Tails bounded into the room, cheery grin on his face.
 
“Good morning, Cream! Good morning, Ella!” he said cheerfully.
 
“Good morning Tails.” I said politely before returning to my cereal. Ella came in with some more cereal and bade Tails good morning before returning to the kitchen again.
 
I smiled before Tails leaned over to me. “Cream… what you told me last night. I had a think about it and I think that… Sonic really might like Amy… in that way.”
 
I gasped in shock. I wished now at that point that I hadn't told Tails. But he's one of my closest friends. I should be able to trust him right?
 
“We have no proof that that's the case, Tails!” I whispered frantically.
 
“I do. Remember Emerald Coast?”
 
I nodded vaguely and Tails continued, “Well, when Amy went to give that bracelet to Sonic, he was moved. I saw him from the X Tornado. And when Amy fell in the ocean, he went in after her AND he knew he couldn't swim to save his life, let alone hers!”
 
“Sonic would've dived in the ocean for any of us, you know that. And as for the bracelet, it was destroyed…” I stated. Tails shook his head.
 
“No it wasn't destroyed Cream… I found it in one of Sonic's drawers up in the lab. If he didn't care about Amy, he would've chucked it.”
 
“He would've kept it if one of us made it for him.”
 
“Cream… trust me, Sonic likes Amy… and I'm gonna need you're help”
 
“For what?” I asked curiously.
 
“To set them up! Tonight Sonic and Amy will go on a date that they'll never forget!”