Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Iron Heart ❯ The Mission ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Chapter 3: The Mission

The night was mostly uneventful, however at one point early in the morning, there was a stir downstairs…

<start Sonic's dream sequence>

Sonic was enveloped in sheer and total darkness. It was completely silent as he drifted through an endless void.

Sonic: <shakily> Whe…where am I?

Voice: <weakly, distant> Sonic…

Sonic: <confused> Huh?…Who's there?

Voice: <slowly moving closer> Sonic…

Sonic: <afraid> Who are you?

Voice: <closer> Sonic…

Sonic: Show yourself!

Several yards in front of Sonic, a figure slowly appeared from the darkness. It was another hedgehog, a black one with crimson highlights on top of his quills. And, there was that signature white puff of fur on his chest.

Sonic: <surprised> Shadow??!!

Voice: <hollow; echoing slightly> Yes, Sonic, it's me…

Sonic: But…You're dead!

Shadow: Yes, my body is no more…However, my spirit lives on…

Sonic: …

Shadow: Sonic, do you know why I'm contacting you?

Sonic: <shakes head `no'>

Shadow: Robotnik…He's constructing something…something terrible…

Sonic: What do you mean?

Shadow: It's more powerful than even he knows…

Sonic: What is it?

Shadow: It will destroy the world…

Sonic: Shadow, what is it?

Shadow: The only way to stop it…is to destroy it before it is completed…

Sonic: Shadow?

Shadow: I must go now…

Sonic: Shadow, wait!

Shadow: You must act quickly, blue hedgehog…but I guess that's what you're best at…

Shadow smiled slightly as he faded away. It was the first bit of happiness that Sonic had ever seen from the mysterious hedgehog.

Sonic: Shadow…

<end dream sequence>

Sonic: <sits straight up in bed> SHADOW!!

The blue hedgehog shouted as he woke up in a cold sweat. Still sitting up, he slowly looked around to find that he was back in Tails's workshop, still in the bed. Seeing this, the panicked Sonic finally started to calm down. Knuckles, the light sleeper, was awakened by all this. Amy and Tails slept through it, somehow.

Knuckles: <slowly sits up, looking around> Huh? What's wrong? Did Metal attack us?…<sees Sonic>…Hey, Sonic, what's going on?

Sonic: I'm not sure…I wanna say `bad dream', but…I don't think that's it…

Knuckles: What happened?

Sonic: It…It was Shadow…

Knuckles: You mean…Shadow…the hedgehog?

Sonic: Yeah…I think…But it was weird, it was like…like he was talking to me…like his spirit was trying to reach me…

Knuckles: But I thought Shadow died…

Sonic: Yeah, he mentioned that…He said that his body died, but…that his spirit…

Knuckles: …Was still alive?

Sonic: Yeah…how'd you know?

Knuckles: Well…It's just that…sometimes Tikal will…

Sonic: Oh, I see.

Knuckles: What did he say?

Sonic: He warned me…about something Robotnik was making…

Knuckles: What was it?

Sonic: He didn't say…It was almost like he couldn't hear me…I mean, he could at first, but after that he didn't respond…

Knuckles: Weird…But what did he say about…whatever it is Robotnik's making?

Sonic: Not much, just that it would be too strong for Robotnik to handle, and that it would destroy the world.

Knuckles: <calmly> Yikes. Anything else?

Sonic: Um…wait, yeah he said…uh…He said that the only way to stop it…would be to destroy it before it is completed.

Knuckles: That's not much to go on…

Sonic: He told me to act quickly.

Knuckles: Well, I guess that's what you're best at…

Sonic: <looks Knuckles in the eyes> Shut up, Knuckles.

Knuckles: <confused> What?

Sonic: <sigh> It's nothing…

It was about then that MS-02 came down the stairs, blasters armed and ready. He looked all around the room, and then saw Sonic and Knuckles awake.

Me: What's wrong? I heard a scream! I wasn't sure at first, but I decided to-

Sonic: It's nothing, Metal. Just a bad dream.

Knuckles: Yeah, don't worry about it. Go on back upstairs.

Sonic: Yeah, and keep it down, will ya? <indicating Tails, then Amy> These two are still asleep.

Me: <looks around once more> Very well. <goes back upstairs>

Sonic: Well, Knucks, I'm going back to bed. <lays back down, goes to sleep>

Knuckles: Yeah, I think I'll go back to bed…er…couch, too. <lays down, falls asleep>

Me: <upstairs> Well, I wonder what that was all about…

The next morning…

Tails: <sits up, slowly> <YAWN!> Well…<moves hands over arms, shoulders, and head>…I'm still here…I guess Amy was right about something, for once.

Amy: <face still in pillow, muffled voice> I told you so…

Tails: Huh? You're awake?

Amy: <rolls looks up> Ever since you yawned.

Knuckles: <mumbling in his sleep> No mommy…I don't wanna guard the big shiny rocks…

Tails and Amy: O.o Knuckles?

Knuckles: <waking up> <yawn> Huh? Is it morning already?

Sonic: <nose twitches, eyes fly open> Hey, do you smell that? <leaps out of bed, blanket is still partly around his leg>

Tails: <sniffing air> Yeah, smells like pancakes.

Knuckles: <out of bed, looking upstairs> It's coming from up there.

Amy: <getting out of bed> One of guys go look. The last time I rushed upstairs to see what was going on, I almost got shot.

Tails: <out of bed, walking up stairs> I'll find out…<goes upstairs…several seconds later…> HAA HA HAA HA HA!!

Sonic: <rushes upstairs> Tails, what's wrong? <sees Tails rolling around on floor, laughing hysterically>

Tails: <continues to laugh, points at kitchen>

Sonic: <cautiously peaks inside of kitchen, cracks up laughing>

Knuckles and Amy both came up the stairs, and burst out laughing when they looked in the kitchen. The object of the hilarity was MS-02. He was at the stove, cooking pancakes. The funny part is that this deadly war machine was wearing a large cooking apron with the words: `Kiss the Cook' written on it in big, red, block letters. MS-02 had no idea what was so funny; he saw the apron as simply a way to keep food splatter off of his parts. Eventually, the animals regained their composure and sat down to breakfast. Of course, Tails still chuckled about it every now and then.

Sonic: <takes a bite of pancake> Hey, this is pretty good.

Knuckles: <cautiously eating a piece> Say, you didn't poison this or anything, right?

Amy: <slaps the back of Knuckles's head> You hush! They're delicious, Metal.

Tails: <finishing first in a stack of pancakes> Very…precise.

Me: They should be. I followed the directions exactly.

MS-02 approached the table, still wearing the apron. Tails nearly choked when he saw it again.

Sonic: Hey, Metal, would you mind losin' the apron? I think Tails is having trouble eating with you wearing that thing.

MS-02 removed the apron, hung it on a nearby hook. He then walked over to the table, pulled up a chair, and sat down.

Sonic: <in between bites> Hey…guys…I was wanting…to tell you…We need…to move out…really soon…

Amy: What do you mean?

Sonic: <finishes last pancake> We need to attack Robotnik today.

Tails: Why are you so urgent?

Sonic: Call it a hunch…<winks at Knuckles>

Amy: Yeah, that and the fact that you haven't had good run in a while.

Sonic: That too. I feel like I'm gonna explode!

Tails: Well, you did just eat mountain of pancakes…

They all ate their breakfast, and half an hour later, they were ready to go. They made a plan for attacking Robotnik's base.

Me: Shall we go?

Sonic: Just a second, I think Tails is almost back.

Me: What did he go get, anyway?

Sonic: Tails went back to the garage to get the Tornado. He really loves that thing.

Me: Tornado?

SEARCH MEMORY> TERM(S) = TORNADO

COMPLETE…

RESULTS =
WIND STORM

P3-A TORNADO

SELECT RESULT> P3-A TORNADO

P3-A TORNADO = LIGHT DUTY MULTI-PURPOSE MACHINE…

3 KNOWN MODES

MODES =

JET-PROPELLED AIRCRAFT

BIPEDAL MECHANICAL WALKER

FOUR-WHEELED AUTOMOBILE

Me: Nevermind. I found it in memory.

Sonic: Oookkaayyy…

Tails: <riding up in Tornado> Okay, guys, I got it. Let's go!

Amy: wait a second! How is Tails going to get that thing over to Robotnik's base quickly?

Tails: Simple! <presses button, Tornado converts to plane mode> Okay, now Sonic, Knuckles, you guys grab hold of the wings.

Sonic: Not again…<grabs handle of wing>

Knuckles: <grabs handle of other wing> What's wrong?…Oh yeah, I forgot you can't just glide away if you fall off.

Sonic: Don't remind me…

Amy: What about me?

Tails: Hmm…Last time, you took Knuckles's spot…But there's no more room now…

Sonic: <insultingly> News flash, Tails, there never was room.

Tails: <offended> Don't forget who's flyin' the plane, Sonic.

Amy: Hello?

Knuckles: Hey, Metal, you can fly, right?

Me: Affirmative.

Amy: <realizing what Knuckles was thinking> Ohh no, you don't! I nearly froze last time he carried me!

Tails: Well we're kinda out of options, so it's either this, or you stay here.

Sonic: <slyly> Besides, if he drops you, you won't be missed! <laughs loudly>

Amy: <pulls out hammer> Why you…<runs toward Sonic>

Tails: <sees Amy running> Uh-oh! We better get outta here! <shoves throttle forward, causing the Tornado to shoot forward and lift off.

Amy: HEY!! Come back here!!

Me: Are you coming?

Amy: Yeah, take me to Sonic, I'm gonna make him pay!

Me: Very well. <flew forward, picking up Amy by the shoulders, follows the Tornado toward Robotnik's base>

10 minutes later…

Tails brought the Tornado to a landing about a half-mile from the front entrance of Robotnik's base. MS-02 set Amy down next to them, and landed next to her. Fortunately for Sonic, Amy had forgotten about his little remark.

Knuckles: Okay, everybody remember their parts?

All: Yeah!

Tails: okay, Sonic, Metal, you're up first!

Sonic took an M-16 with plenty of ammo from the cargo hold of the Tornado. He and MS-02 then rushed into the man entrance. Their mission was to create a distraction. Things were going pretty well for a while, until…

Sonic: <boarding elevator> Whew! So far, so good.

Me: <on elevator> Yes, but the next area is heavily fortified. We will need to use caution.

The elevator doors closed, and the car traveled down the shaft, going deeper into the base.

Sonic: Yeah, whatever.

Me: How's your ammunition level?

Sonic: I've got a few clips left. How `bout you?

Me: I do not use ammunition. My blasters fire lasers.

Sonic: Don't they run out of energy?

Me: Negative. They are powered my nuclear generator.

Sonic: <takes a step back> You're nuclear?!

Me: Affirmative. Do not be afraid. My generator is coated in anti-radioactive chemicals.

Sonic: Like lead?

Me: No, but the effect is similar.

Sonic: If you say so…

The car stopped, the doors opened, and the two stepped out, weapons ready.

Sonic: Here we go! <aims gun at laser turret, fires>

Me: <aims blaster at robot drones, fires>

They fought for a few minutes, nearly clearing the room of enemies. Then, it happened. Sonic was shooting at a turret when his gun ran out of ammo. He reached to his belt to pull out a fresh clip, but before he could, another turret shot at him. The shot grazed his upper left arm, and sent the hedgehog back against a wall, bleeding. He clenched the open wound with his right hand, and applied pressure in an attempt to lessen the blood loss. MS-02 noticed this, and reacted accordingly.

ALERT! SUBJECT SONIC HAS SUSTAINED DAMAGE!

DIRECTIVE = DESTROY REMAINING OPPOSITION, ASSIST SUBJECT SONIC

Me: You will pay. <raises both arms, fires all four blasters; destroying remaining turrets>

ANALYZING…ENVIRONMENT CLEAR

DIRECTIVE = ASSIST SUBJECT SONIC

MS-02 walked over to Sonic, who was sitting against a wall. There was a small puddle of blood beneath his injured arm. Sonic still held a now bloody gloved hand around his arm. MS-02 knelt on his right knee next to Sonic.

Sonic: <weakly> Metal, what are you doing?

Me: Relax.

SCANNING…INJURY TO UPPER LEFT ARM…

SCANNING…COMPLETE

MICROFRACTURES DETECTED

DAMAGED BLOOD VESSELS DETECTED

EPIDERMAL VOID DETECTED

3RD DEGREE BURNS DETECTED

BLOOD LOSS ALERT

STATUS: REPAIRABLE

RECOMMEND MEDICAL TREATMENT…

DISINFECT, PRESSURE COVER, APPLY SPLINT, REMOVE SUBJECT SONIC FROM COMBAT

MS-02 opened a compartment on his left leg, (see pic of MS-02), revealing some medical supplies.

Me: Remain still. <holds up small spray bottle> Please remove your hand.

Sonic: <moves bloody hand away> This is going to sting, isn't it?

Me: Probably. <sprays wound>

Sonic: <cringing> …Arghh…

Me: <places bottle back into leg compartment, takes out roll of bandage cloth wrap, and two small metal bars> Now I must apply a splint and bandage.

Sonic: A splint? Is it broken?

Me: No, but there are small fractures. It is best to prevent further damage.

Sonic: Okay…If you say so…

Me: <uses bars as splint, attaches with bandage wrap, covering the wound> Now, I just need to secure the bandage. <pulls out three small metal clips, attaches them to bandage, keeping it from unraveling> There. Now, we must get you out of here. <closes leg compartment>

Sonic: <standing up> Okay. I can't move to well like this, though.

Me: I have an idea.

Sonic: I'm listening.

Me: Stand next to me, to the my left.

Sonic: <does so> Okay. Now what?

Me: put your right arm around the back of my neck. Be sure to put it above the thruster.

Sonic: <does so> All right. What's next?

Me: <uses right hand to hold Sonic's right wrist next to neck> Put your right foot on my left one.

Sonic: <does so> There.

Me: Okay. I'll handle the rest. <starts hovering about six inches above ground, picking Sonic up with him> Now, let's go. <hovers toward elevator>

MS-02 carried Sonic all the way back to Tails's workshop. There they waited for the others to return.

Meanwhile…

Knuckles and Amy were making their way deeper into the base. Their mission was to disable the security systems so hat they could find this mysterious project. Thanks to MS-02, they had the security codes, and were able to use the secret entrance.

Knuckles: <thinking> `Amy goes with me' they say. `She needs to feel useful' they say. `Our missions are too dangerous' they say. You no what I think it is? I think Sonic just wants to dump Amy on me so she won't bother him. Just like he did the other day, with the groceries. Look at me! I'm not a babysitter! Ugh! This whole mess has me talking to myself!

Amy: <sigh> Knuckles, how much farther is it?

Knuckles: I have no idea. Metal told us to keep walking down this corridor until we found a large console that controls the security systems. It can't be too much farther, though. We've been walking forever.

Amy: I hope not.

Knuckles: <to self> You and me both.

Amy: Did you say something?

Knuckles: No.

Amy: How do you think Sonic's doing?

Knuckles: I'm sure he's fine. <thinking> If she asks me one more annoying question, I'm going to strangle her!

Amy: Hey, Knuckles…

Knuckles: WHAT?!

Amy: <pointing> I think that's it.

Knuckles: <turns around, looks at what Amy is pointing at> …<angry exhale>…Fine.

Knuckles walked over to the console and, using MS-02's security codes, tried to shut down the entire security system. After several minutes of failed attempts, Knuckles became frustrated.

Knuckles: <angry> GGGRRRRR!!!!…Robotnik must've changed the codes!! Now how am I supposed to shut this thing down?!

Amy: <bored> You mean we came here for nothing?

Knuckles: Be quiet Amy, it's not like there's anything you can do about it!

Amy: <pulls out hammer> Oh yeah?

Amy ran up to the console, leaped into the air, and smashed it with her hammer, sending bits of electronics flying everywhere.

Knuckles: AMY!! <grabs Amy by the hand, and runs back down the hall> Amy! You idiot! Now this whole place will be swarming with robots!

Amy: Oops…

Knuckles: Lt's just get outta here!

They ran back to Tails, and told him what happened.

Tails: Hmm…I haven't seen Sonic or Metal yet, but they might still be in there. Anyway, I guess I should go in and do my part!

Tails said goodbye to Knuckles and Amy, who started to head for the workshop. The fox then piloted the Tornado, which was now in walker mode, into the base. All he had to do was rush in and cause as much devastation as possible. Tails got more than a little trigger-happy during his part of the mission. Several times, he put the mech in auto-shoot mode long enough to hop out and claim a piece of a busted robot. After nearly an hour of destruction, he decided that he and his machine had had enough. So, he converted the Tornado into go-kart mode, and drove out of the base; or what was left of it anyway. The place was huge, and Tails was unable to locate the project that they were looking for. Not that he'd really know it if he had; he was destroying everything in sight. By the time he returned to his workshop, it was around noon, and Knuckles had gone back to Angel Island.

Tails: So Metal fixed you up, eh? Now do you believe me?

Sonic: <looking at his injury> You know it, buddy.

Amy: Is that a yes?

Sonic: Yeah…Yeah, Metal, I trust you…fully.

Me: I…appreciate it.

Tails: Now if we could just convince Knuckles…

Sonic: Easier said than done, little buddy. Knuckles and me have known each other for a while, now, and I still don't think he trusts me.

Amy: Well, he's getting closer, at least.

Tails: What time is it?

Me: 1:18.

Amy: OH MY GOODNESS!! I'M LATE!! <heads toward door>

Sonic: Late?! Late for what?!

Amy: My favorite show started at one!

Sonic: <sarcastically> Oh no! You'd better hurry before all the good stuff is over!

Amy: Be quiet! <runs out door>

Sonic: So much for her.

Tails: <chuckling> Heh heh, yeah.

Sonic: I guess she forgot you had a TV over here.

Tails: <sarcastically> Oh, shoot.

Sonic and Tails: <laugh>

Sonic: Heh. Well, I guess I should go, too. I need chilidogs, and you're all out. <leaves>

Tails: <watches him go> <yelling> Bye, Sonic!! <to self> It's good to know I'm not being used, heh heh.

Me: So, I guess you weren't able to get rid of Robotnik's machine, huh?

Tails: Nope.

Please review!