Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Iron Heart ❯ Confidence In Turmoil ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Read this chapter for an interesting cameo…

Chapter 4: Confidence In Turmoil

Tails closed the door, and walked back into the lab, where he had placed some of the things he had taken from Robotnik's base. MS-02 Followed him.

Tails: Look at all this stuff! If I can figure out how it works, then maybe I can build more of them! <examines a large laser blaster on the table>

MS-02 and Tails examined and disassembled the equipment into the night, and made some neat discoveries about the inner workings of the plasma capacitors in Robotnik's blasters.

Me: These blasters are complicated. I can give you the schematics, but it requires precision to build one.

Tails: <picks up a computer chip> I wonder what this was for…<hands it to MS-02>

Me: <scans chip> It is a data processor that controls the amount of energy the blaster uses. <hands it back to Tails>

Tails: Oh, neat. <sets it back down on table> Hey, Metal?

Me: Yes?

Tails: Didn't you say something about a part of your programming you couldn't get rid of?

Me: Yes. It's a module of programming that overrides my control over my body.

Tails: Hmm…Do you have an interface port? Something I could hook up to my computer?

Me: Yes. It's-

At that moment, a large blaster shot tore through the wall of the workshop. Had it not been for MS-02's faster-than-lightning-quick reflexes, Tails would be no more. MS-02 hit Tails in the ribs and caught him under the shoulders with his right arm. It was the only way to remove the fox from the blast's path. MS-02 carried Tails out the hole in the wall and found a robot tank still aiming at the workshop. Flying away, MS-02 filled the tank with holes from the blaster on his left arm. The tank exploded as MS-02 flew straight for Station Square. MS-02 looked down at the unconscious Tails that he was carrying.

SCANNING…COMPLETE…

SUBJECT TAILS HAS SUSTAINED DAMAGE…

ANALYZING…
BRUISED RIBS DETECTED

MICROFRACTURES DETECTED…

STATUS: UNCONSCIOUS

DIRECTIVE> EMERGENCY ASSIST> SUBJECT TAILS

Me: <sarcastically> Great, I nearly broke his ribs…I hope they don't take this the wrong way…

Meanwhile, at Amy's apartment on Station Square…

TV: Mobian Idle will return after this…

Amy: I hope Joey wins…

There was a knock at Amy's door. The pink hedgehog got up to answer it. She was shocked to see Tails in the arms of MS-02…Especially since Tails wasn't moving.

Amy: Tails!! Metal, what happened to him?!

Me: I will explain, but first, we need to lay him down.

Amy led them to her bedroom. MS-02 set Tails on the bed, and explained what had happened.

Amy: So one of Robotnik's machines tried to kill Tails? Shouldn't we take him to a hospital?

Me: Negative. His injuries are minor, and they will heal.

Amy: He's still unconscious, though.

Me: He will awaken eventually. Probably within the hour.

Amy: <takes out cell phone> I'd better call Sonnie. He'd wanna know about this. <dials numbers, puts phone up to ear>…

Sonic: <on phone> Hello?

Amy: Sonic, it's me.

Sonic: What is it now, Amy?

Amy: Well, Metal just came over and he brought Tails with him.

Sonic: Your point is?

Amy: Well, it's just that…Tails is hurt and-

There was another knock at Amy's door. She answered it, and sure enough, there was Sonic. He was panting; running like that had taken his breath away.

Amy: <hangs up phone, Sonic does the same> Sonic, you're here!

Sonic: Yeah…Where's Tails?

Amy: He's in here…

They went back to Amy's room, and found Tails under the watchful scan of MS-02.

Sonic: Tails! What happened?!

They explained the situation to the blue hedgehog, who grew more worried with each word.

Sonic: Are you sure he's all right?

Me: I am certain that he is fine; or at least he will be when he wakes up.

MS-02 looked at all of them, and continued:

Me: …I, however, have made a grave error. I should have kept my radar active…I…I might have killed him…

Sonic: You said he'd be fine!

Me: He will be, but if I had hit him even a little harder…I could have broken his ribs…or even…killed him!

Amy: Metal…

Me: <leaving> I need to go…

Sonic: Where?

Me: I don't know…I need some time…to think…

MS-02 left, and flew off toward the forest. He eventually landed next to a large oak tree. MS-02 silently sat down next to it.

Me: I could have…killed him…my…friend! I was only trying to help…but what if I had done that assassin tank's job for it? I made an error…a big one…I can't believe this…What have I done?…

MS-02 sat there, talking to himself, not knowing that he was being watched. After he asked himself what he had done, he received an answer. From the one that was spying on him from a branch on the oak tree.

Voice: It sounds like you saved your friend…

The voice sounded old, and wise…showing that its owner was dependable and honest.

Me: <looking up> Who's there?! Who are you!

Voice: My name is of no importance. Your friend is, however, and you should go to him. He will forgive you. In fact, I'll bet that he'll be happy to see you again.

There was a loud hydraulic noise, and it was obvious that whoever had been there was gone now.

Me: Whoever that was is right. If Tails is my friend, then I know he'll forgive me…I hope.

MS-02 stood back up, and thought for a moment before lifting off and flying back to Station Square, where he hoped to find three friends, and not three enemies. Meanwhile, back in the treetops, the stranger that had offered his advice silently sat on a branch.

Voice: <to self> Rokusho, you've done it again, heh heh…

Back at Amy's apartment…

Sonic and Amy sat on opposite sides of Tails, waiting for the fox to wake up. It was getting late, and they were both tired. Amy nearly fell asleep, but was alerted by a knock at her door.

Sonic: I'll get it. <goes and answers door>

MS-02 stood outside the door forlornly. He looked at Sonic when the door opened.

Sonic: Hey, Metal. <yawn> How ya feelin?

Me: I am concerned about Tails. Is he awake yet?

Sonic: No, not yet.

Me: Would you mind not telling him I left?

Amy: <walking into room> What for?

Me: I don't want him to worry about me.

Sonic: No problem.

Amy: Don't worry, Metal. I won't tell him.

Tails: <waking up> <yawn>…<weakly> Tell me what?

Amy: Tails, you're awake!

Sonic, Amy, and Metal entered the room, and surrounded the bed that Tails was on.

Tails: <weakly> Yeah, I'm up…what happened?

Sonic: Well, you see Tai-

Me: --I'll explain. Tails, it's my fault you were unconscious.

Tails: Why? What happened?

Me: We were working on some of the stuff you got from Robotnik when an assassin tank fired a shot through the wall of your workshop. It would've hit you had I not pulled you out of the way. The problem is, the only way to move you fast enough was to hit you hard enough to knock you out. I'm…sorry. It was the only way.

Tails: I understand. <notices MS-02's distress>…Hey, it's okay. You did what you had to do. <gives weak thumbs-up>

Me: <perks up a bit after being forgiven> Thank you. It's just that…much harder, and you could be dead…and it would've been my fault…

Tails: But I'm not dead. I'm still here. Besides, even if you had killed me, I couldn't be mad. You were trying to protect me, after all.

Me: If you say so.

Sonic: So, everyone's cool, then? In that case, I'm headin' home to catch up on my sleep.

Tails: I'm kinda tired, too. But…where am I going to stay? Something tells me that my workshop isn't the safest of places to be.

Sonic: You can crash at my pad, buddy.

Tails: Thanks, Sonic.

Sonic: No problem. But what about Metal?

Me: Interesting question.

Amy: He could stay here, in case Robotnik attacks us.

Tails and Sonic: What about us?

Me: <suddenly looks up> You may not need to make that decision…

Amy: Why not?

Me: I just picked up a signal on a frequency that Robotnik uses…Wait…I have to go to Angel Island…and fast! One of you should let call Knuckles and let him know that I'm coming. <leaves apartment, flies away toward Angel Island>

Sonic: Metal! Wait!!

Somewhere over the ocean, between Robotnik's base and Angel Island…

Robotnik and the rebuilt and reprogrammed MS-01 were in the cockpit of a newer, more powerful Egg Carrier. It was flying over the ocean, surrounded by a swarm of flying robot drones. MS-01 had gotten the idea to try and destroy Angel Island, and grab the chaos emeralds from its remains. Robotnik had agreed, and had his machines construct this impressive new airship.

Robotnik: This plan is ingenious! I wonder why I never thought of it before?

MS-01: You lack my abilities.

Robotnik: Watch your attitude, MS-01. Remember that I can shut you down at any moment.

MS-01: Yes…Sir.

They were too busy dealing with each other to notice that one of the blips on the radar had come from behind, and passed them.

Me: <looking back at Robotnik's fleet> This isn't good…They look powerful…I'd better get to Knuckles…Now! <engages afterburners, speed doubles>

Angel Island…

Knuckles: <sigh> I'm so confused…How did Shadow contact Sonic? Or did he? And what about this new Metal Sonic character? What does it all mean?…<senses something> Someone's coming…<runs to edge of island, looks out to sea, squinting> Where is it? <sees MS-02> Huh? What's Metal doing?

<Ring, ring!>

Knuckles: <answers cell phone> Uh…hello?

Amy: <on phone> Knuckles!

Knuckles: What do you want?!

Amy: Metal's headed for your island!

Knuckles: Yeah, I can see him right now. Should I stop him?

Amy: Stop him?! No way! He's coming to help you!

Knuckles: Help me what?

Amy: Well…uh…Actually, I don't know. He just said that he had to go to your island right away. He mentioned something about Robotnik!

Knuckles: All right. I'll keep my guard up. <hangs up>

Amy: Knuckles, wait! That's not what I meant! <hears Knuckles hang up> Knuckles! Ooh! He makes me so mad!

Knuckles: <looks at MS-02> All right, Metal. Let's see what you've got planned…

Me: <slows down, lands next to Knuckles> Knuckles…We must prepare…

Knuckles: <angry> What are you talking about?

Me: Robotnik is coming, and he's bringing heavy firepower.

Knuckles: So, I'll just keep him from taking over the Island. I've done that kind of thing before.

Me: Robotnik doesn't want to take over the island…

Knuckles: What?

Me: According to the radio instructions I've been monitoring, he plans to destroy Angel Island!

Knuckles: Destroy it?!

Me: Affirmative.

Knuckles: …Okay, so what do we do?

Me: Does the island have any defense mechanisms?

Knuckles: You're looking at him.

Me: This isn't good.

Knuckles: No, it isn't…We need to get the chaos emeralds off the island!

Rouge: <lands next to Knuckles> I believe I can help you with that!

Knuckles: ROUGE??!!

Rouge: That's my name, don't wear it out.

Knuckles: What are you doing here?!

Rouge: Long story, guardian.

Me: <points at Robotnik's fleet, which is visible on the horizon> And we don't have much time!

Rouge: So, are we getting the emeralds out of here, or aren't we?

Knuckles: <confused> Well, I uh…

Me: She's right, we must move now. I am certain there will be time for explanations later.

Knuckles: Uhm…Yeah, yeah right. Let's get moving! <runs toward shrine of the emeralds, with MS-02 and Rouge following close behind>

They entered the shrine of the emeralds, and Knuckles handed each of them two chaos emeralds. Taking the last three for himself, he led the others to the edge of the island. They would've all flown away, but by the time they were ready, Robotnik had already arrived and was peppering the island with machine guns mounted on the side of his airship.

Knuckles: Robotnik's here already!

Rouge: Oh no!

Me: Not good.

They couldn't leave then; Robotnik's flying drones would've gotten them. Not that they had long to worry about it; As soon as they realized that Robotnik had arrived, land drones had swarmed the island. Several drones electrocuted them, and as the pain surged through their bodies, they felt consciousness slipping away. The next thing they knew, they were strapped to a wall in the Egg carrier. All except Rouge, who stood next to Robotnik.

Rouge: There, I filled my end of the deal, now it's time for you to pay up!

Robotnik: Be quiet, I'll get to you soon enough! Besides, wouldn't you like to say goodbye to your friends?

Knuckles: <waking up> Rouge, I thought you gave up treasure hunting!

Rouge: What can I say? I'm drawn to it!

Robotnik: That's right, and all her years of spying for the government gave her just the experience she needed to lure you into my trap!

Knuckles: You're working for him…again?!

Rouge: Well, you picked up the obvious pretty fast.

Me: <making straining mechanical noises, trying to break restraints> I…I cannot break free…

Rouge: You know, Knuckles, you're pretty good at finding gems. It's too bad you've got to be put to death.

Knuckles: What?!

Robotnik: That's right, you pest. You're going to be executed!

Me: And what about me?

MS-01: You're mine. I'm going to tear you limb from limb-in combat!

Rouge: This is all well and good, but I'm ready to get my part of the bargain.

Robotnik: <smirks> Hmm…MS-01, why don't you give Rouge her reward.

MS-01: Very well…

MS-01 grabbed Rouge by the neck, and handcuffed her. He then forcefully threw her against the wall, knocking her down. The deadly robot then picked up a large laser rifle, and pointed it at the bat's head.

Rouge: What…what are you doing?

Robotnik: Oh, come now, Rouge. In all your years of lies and deceit, you can't possibly tell me you didn't know this was all a set up! After all, I owe you a good lie.

Rouge: What?

Robotnik: You lied to Shadow and me the last time we made a deal. I'm simply returning the favor…with interest…

Rouge: I…I can't believe it…

Robotnik: Well, you'd better, because you're finished. Do it, MS-01.

MS-01: Acknowledged.

MS-01 centered his aim directly at Rouge's head. The disheartened bat could only stare at the floor and await her death. MS-01 pulled the trigger, releasing a burst of energy that tore through Rouge's skull, and splattered blood and internal organs across the wall.

Knuckles: ROUGE!!!

Robotnik: Well, there you have it, Knuckles. And especially you, MS-02. Now you both know firsthand what happens to those who oppose me. Drones! Get that carcass out of here!

Knuckles stared at what was left of Rouge as two drones carried her remains out of the room. Holding back tears, the red echidna then peered into the eyes of Robotnik, who simply smiled. The mad scientist knew that he had really gotten to Knuckles this time. The best part was, he thought, that not only did he now have all of the chaos emeralds, but he had gotten rid of that nosy ex-spy.

Knuckles: <sniveling, yet full of rage> You're insane…

Robotnik: Perhaps so, but that doesn't make me any less powerful.

Me: Don't forget, Robotnik. I'm a killing machine, too. And I will destroy you…and all the evil that you have created…

Robotnik: <chuckling> heh heh heh…Odd that you would say that now.

Me: What are you talking about?

Robotnik: Shadow said something like that just before he died…and he was created by my grandfather…Everything is coming full circle.

Me: Not if I can help it.

Robotnik: You won't be able to by the time MS-01's done with you. Drones! Take him to the arena!

MS-02 was surrounded by a field of energy that kept him from moving as he and Knuckles were taken to a large room somewhere else in the ship. Looking out the windows on the way there, Knuckles saw his beloved Angel Island in pieces, crashed into the ocean.

Knuckles: <thinking> First Rouge…now the island…What's next?

Knuckles was again strapped to a wall, a few feet away from Robotnik, who was behind a protective shield. Robotnik held a microphone to his mouth as both Metal Sonics were placed in the room.

Robotnik: <over loud speaker> Now, remember the rules! The first one to explode is the loser. And MS-01 can receive bonus points for throwing his opponent into the echidna!

Knuckles: I will not be a target!

Robotnik: too bad, Knuckles. You already are!

Drone: <enters room, stands next to Robotnik> Sir, we captured several intruders trying to break in…What should I do with them?

Robotnik: Who are they?

Drone: Sonic and his friends, sir.

Robotnik: Ah, I see. Well, Knuckles, it looks like you might not be the only target…<to drone> Drone! Have the prisoners attached to the arena walls!

Drone: Yes, sir.

Several minutes later, Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles were strapped in four different, equally spaced spots around the room. Sonic was closest to Robotnik; the scientist wanted to see the end of his nemesis up close.

Sonic: You won't get away with this!

Robotnik: Please! Don't be so cliché, hedgehog!

MS-01: Am I going to get to destroy my little brother, or not?

Me: I will not permit you to beat me. I cannot fail, or else the world is doomed.

Sonic: Doomed?

Robotnik: Yes, Sonic…Now, FIGHT!!

MS-01 fired up his engine, and flew straight toward MS-02, who armed his blasters and fired. The lasers bounced off of MS-01's armor as he barreled down on his counterpart. With an incredible clash, and the clang of metal hitting metal, MS-01 tackled his brother, sending both of them rolling end over end into a wall. MS-02 picked up the other robot, and threw him across the room. MS-01 hit the opposite wall with a terrible crash, sending small chunks of the arena from the crater the robot's body made.

MS-01: You will pay for that!

Me: I will show you just how strong I can be! <dashes over to MS-01, lands a hard punch>

MS-01: <reeling from the hit> Argh! That's it! <runs forward, jump-kicks MS-02>

Me: You must be destroyed!

They both ran into each other, and locked hands, each trying to force his opponent over.

Me: I must prevail…

MS-01: You will die!

MS-01 threw his counterpart into Sonic, who screamed in pain. Getting back up, MS-02 had an idea…

Me: <stands up, grabs Sonic's restraints, tears them> Sonic, are you all right?

Sonic: yeah, I'll be fine…as soon as the stars go away…

Me: <hands Sonic a laser cutter from leg compartment> Take this and free the others…I'll hold off my brother. <turns around to face MS-01>

Robotnik: MS-01!! What are you doing?! The hedgehog is getting away!

MS-01 flew toward Sonic, only to be blind-sided by MS-01. They both hit the ground with a loud crash, and neither one moved for several seconds. By then, the world's fastest hedgehog had already freed Tails and Amy, and was working on Knuckles.

MS-01: <standing up> I'm…going…to…finish you!!

Me: <also standing up> Not if I…can help it…<points blasters at MS-01, fires>

MS-01 took each it, and was eventually toppled by the sheer volume of shots. As he struggled to get back up. MS-02 leapt into the air, and landed on him. MS-02 then raised one foot into the air and stomped on his metal brother as hard as he could, severely damaging MS-01's jet engine. Sparks flew everywhere as parts of MS-01 shorted out.

Me: You…will…not…win!!

MS-02 stomped MS-01 several more times, destroying the jet turbine, MS-01's left eye, his right leg, and both his arms.

MS-01: <fluctuating, damaged voice> I…can't…lose…! <shuts down, remaining eye goes black, more sparks fly out>

Me: <aims blasters at MS-01's remains, fires for half a minute, spreading the fire all across MS-01> I must ensure your destruction…

Tails: Remind me never to attack him…

Sonic: Yeah, tell me about it…

Knuckles: <now free from wall> He's really tearing into him…

Amy: I'm glad he's on our side…

Me: <finally stops, blasters emitting smoke> There. MS-01 is no more.

Robotnik: NO!!! This isn't supposed to happen!! ARGHH!!!! <takes out remote> I didn't want to use this…

Sonic: Oh no!!

Knuckles: Sonic! I think I know what Shadow meant!

Sonic: What?!

Knuckles: Hatred! Hatred is powerful enough to destroy the world! And what does Robotnik create?

Sonic: Hatred! Oh, I get it! And the only way to stop it…is to prevent it! Metal! You have to destroy that controller!

Me: <runs toward Robotnik, firing blasters> No! I won't let you do it again!

The shots bounced off of the shield that Robotnik was behind. The scientist pressed the button, and…

Robotnik: <pressing button> MS-02! Destroy Sonic!

OVERRIDE MODULE.MOD> STATUS: ACTIVE

OVERRIDE DIRECTIVES…

NEW DIRECTIVE> DESTROY SUBJECT SONIC

Me: <eyes flash brightly for a moment, then return to normal> Yes sir! <rushes toward Sonic>

SELF-PROGRAMMING MODE

IGNORE OVERRIDE MODULE.MOD

UNABLE…ACCESS DENIED…

MS-02 tackled Sonic, sending him to the ground.

Sonic: AAAHHHH!!!!!

OVERRIDE FILE> OVERRIDE MODULE.MOD

UNABLE…ACCESS DENIED

MS-02 ran over to the collapsed hedgehog, and picked him up by the neck, choking him.

Amy: SONIC!!!

Knuckles: Fight it, Metal!

Tails: Yeah, you have to get control back!

DELETE FILE> OVERRIDE MODULE.MOD

UNABLE…ACCESS DENIED

MS-02 held Sonic high in the air as the hedgehog grabbed at his throat and at MS-02' hand.

Knuckles: You have to stop this!

Me: <grating, metallic voice> Let me go…

Robotnik: What's going on?! <presses button again> Destroy him!!

Me: <lowers Sonic toward ground> …Let me go!!…

Robotnik: <panicked> Why doesn't it work?! <presses button several more times>

Me: <drops Sonic, who massages his throat, gasping for air> LET ME GO!!!

Strangely, MS-02 started glowing as a new energy filled him. It radiated from him, acted like a flame surrounding him. He stared straight at Robotnik.

ALERT! ERROR!
OVERRIDE MODULE.MOD MALFUNCTION!

SYSTEM ERROR
MALFUNCTION
OVERRIDE FAILURE!

CONTROL ERROR!
~GHLIILEF F{AOQ{PI(%3345>;J{P:KM::LLKJKNOK

………………………& #8230;……………………

F^%ATA()AAL ~##EEER><ROO++(OR

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%(#P)*()*)@@))#_$*@_(*@*&))&)#$*@*()& ;$(*@&#)

MS-02's system monitor went blank after that.

Robotnik: What?! What's happening?!

Me: <deep, echoing voice> You have taken the lives of many. You have ruined the lives of countless more. Now, it is time for you to suffer.

MS-02 walked slowly, dramatically, over to the shield that stood between him and Robotnik. He raised his right hand into the air, formed a fist, and punched cleanly through the shield, destroying it. With the same hand, he pulled Robotnik out onto the floor by the neck. He checked to see that his friends were watching, and…

Me: Now, I will do something that your opponents could never do. I will kill you.

Sonic: Metal!

Knuckles: I say we let him do it!

Tails: Me, too! He took my parents from me! I say it's his turn to suffer!

Sonic: Knuckles, Tails…You can't be serious!

Knuckles: <to self> Rouge…<to Sonic> We're serious, Sonic.

Tails: DEAD serious.

Sonic: What about you, Amy?

Amy: <eyes watering> Oh Sonnie! I just want it all to stop! <cries on his shoulder>

Me: Now, Feel your own wrath…

MS-02 then turned on his jet engine, throttled it up to full power. However, he used the energy that surrounded him to keep him from flying away. He grabbed Robotnik by the shoulders, and stared at him as he inched the scientist's head ever closer to the jet intake. MS-02 used an electrical current to keep Robotnik from moving around.

Robotnik: Please…MS-02! Let me go!…I…I command you to let me go!

Me: <slowly shakes head `no'> You wouldn't release me. Now, you die.

MS-02 slowly inserted Robotnik's head into his turbine, which shredded through his skull, and later, his brain. MS-02 was certain to do it slowly; he was enjoying his revenge, and wanted Robotnik to suffer for all that he'd done. Scorched and burnt pieces of Robotnik's mutilated head were fired out of the back of the engine, as blood splattered everywhere, covering MS-02's body in it. There was enough that it nearly turned his whole body red. MS-02 did not stop until he had reached the base of Robotnik's neck. If Robotnik had fit into the engine, MS-02 would've finished the job.

Sonic: Metal…

Me: <drops Robotnik's body, energy fades away>

Sonic: What…have you done?

Me: I…have solved a problem…

Amy: You…killed him…

Me: I'm sorry…it's what I was designed to do…

Knuckles: I wanted him to suffer, but the way you did it…

Tails: It's like…like you enjoyed it…

Me: I'm afraid…that I did…

Amy: Metal…please tell me it isn't true…

Me: <drops to knees> I'm sorry…

Amy: I thought…you were different…Oh, how could you?! <runs out of the room, crying>

Sonic: Amy! <runs after her>

Knuckles: Metal, tell me something…Why did you do it that way?

Me: I had to be sure…

Tails: Of what?

Me: That he was dead…

They all stood there for a moment, and then felt an incredible shake in the airship. Seconds later, they heard an explosion, followed by another one, and then a series of explosions, each shaking the ship. The entire Egg carrier rumbled as each explosion happened.

Tails: What's going on?!

Me: The ship must be going down!

Knuckles: Why?!

Me: Probably one of Robotnik's traps!

Tails: We have to get out of here!

Knuckles: What about Sonic and Amy?

Me: They'll get out, too. I'm sure!

Tails: He's right! We've got to go!

Knuckles: I'm not leaving without the chaos emeralds! Follow me!

Tails and MS-02 followed Knuckles out of the room as the red echidna followed his senses to find the emeralds. They had to work their way around fallen support beams, raging fires, and giant tears in the ship's hull. Eventually, they found the emeralds, just in time to see them blown out of the ship. Knuckles leaped down after the emeralds, which plummeted toward the surface of the ocean. MS-02 and Tails followed him. They caught most of them, but two hit the water and sank like the rocks they were. MS-02 rocketed down after them, hitting the water with enough force to kill someone. The impact scrubbed Robotnik's now half-dry blood right off of MS-02's armor.

Meanwhile, 30 seconds earlier…

Sonic: <chasing Amy> Amy, stop! This whole place is going up!

Amy: <crying, running away> No! Stay away from me!

Sonic: You have to stop before-

At that moment, an explosion from deep inside the ship caused the Egg carrier to shake violently, knocking Amy off balance. The pink hedgehog fell out of a rip in the ship's armor. Sonic saw this, and ran to the edge of the singed flooring where Amy had just been. As Amy fell, the two hedgehogs reached for each other. Their efforts were futile, however, as nearly 50 feet separated them.

Amy: <falling> SSOONNNIICCC!!!

Sonic: <staring at Amy, reaching for her> AAMMYYY!!!

Amy closed her eyes, and waited for the water to hit her. The force of it would be more than enough to take her life, which flashed before her eyes. But then she heard something…in the distance, coming toward her. The next thing she knew, she was in the arms of her hero…Or was she?

Amy: <opens eyes, looks up, vision blurred> S…Sonic?

Me: No, it's not Sonic. It's…me…

Amy: <rubs eyes, sees MS-02 carrying her> Huh?…Metal?

Me: <nods>

Amy: <panicking> But…how? Why? After everything I said…and everything you did…

Me: A great machine once said that all life is precious…and worthy of protection…

Amy: <calming down> What about Robotnik?

Me: I'm not that machine…

Amy: Oh…I understand…I think…

Me: Where is Sonic?

Amy: <points upwards> Up there! He needs help!

Tails: <flying up to them> No problem! <flies to Sonic, rescues him>

After that, they all went up to the top of the Egg carrier, where Tails had landed the Tornado earlier. Knuckles was already there, and he finished loading the chaos emeralds into the cargo bay as Tails activated his plane. Knuckles and Sonic grabbed hold as the Tornado lifted off. With MS-02 and Amy following close behind, Tails and the others flew away from the Egg carrier as it spewed smoke and flame. The massive airship hit the water as an explosion tore through the ship, leaving little more than the frame behind as the rest was jettisoned high into the air.

Whew! That chapter only took the better half of forever to write!

Anyway, please review.