Speed Racer Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love, Life, and Reincarnations ❯ Of Cars and RVs ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Overly thorough and efficient. That's how Ryan sometimes described his wife. She never hesitated to make the lists, plan the routes, do the shopping, and fine tune the details that needed it. Yet she most often remained calm and relaxed when planning family outings and vacations, and always, always let the events flow accordingly. Deviations from the planned path led to adventure and adventure had become a key ingredient to their lives. Their first vacation with their sons had convinced him . . . Women live for making plans and this vacation would be no exception.

"Where are you guys going again?" Robert inquired.

"Nowhere and everywhere," he replied, taking a sip of lemonade. The two men sat on the porch of Ryan's Philadelphia home and watched as their children - Sesshomaru, Ryan, Inuyasha, and Anna O'Connell; Georgia and Wesley Johnson - with the dogs played in the front yard. Robert had stopped by with his with children while "the women" went shopping. "Torie's still trying decide if we should stop in California or head to Oregon. But we're definitely heading to Cali."

"Man, she's really getting into the whole family vacation thing, isn't she?" he chuckled.

"Yeah . . . I'm dreading the trips to China and Europe," he winked.

"I bet . . . So . . . are the kids excited?"

"Yeah," Ryan nodded, his eyes on the youngsters in question. "Torie's bought new clothes for them and they keep asking us when we're leaving. The countdown to the Fourth has begun."

Robert gave a single nod, his eyes on the children as well. The man had been quiet since he and Val had stopped by. Unusually quiet. Ryan didn't even need to see his friend to know something was on his mind. They had been friends since he'd moved to Philadelphia several years before and Ryan had become very adept at reading body language and the silent signals that indicated someone's mood. Torie had been, and still was, his practice.

"What is it?"

"Hmm?"

"What is it?" Ryan repeated, tearing his gaze away from the children to Robert. "And don't tell me nothing because I've known you far too long to believe it."

Robert stared at him for a moment then shook his head.

"You're too damn observant," he mock complained. "You and Torie both. No wonder you're so good together."

Ryan merely smiled and waited. One thing the two men held in common was pride. They didn't like to say anything about what bothered them, even when asked. But Ryan knew Robert needed to say what was bothering him. It helped him to sort things out and, until he did, he was not his usual cheerful and annoying self.

"Val's pregnant," Robert murmured. "We found out last week when she want in to find out about having her tubes tied."

"I see . . . I take it you've both agreed to not terminate the pregnancy?"

"Yeah," Robert nodded. "She just has to go on maternity leave in three weeks."

"Ouch . . ."

"Yeah . . . The hospital isn't going to be too happy about it but I'm not going through what we did with Wesley again. That was a nightmare. I thought I was going to lose both of them."

"Mmm . . ."

Ryan remembered all too well the complications Val had had when she'd been pregnant with the boy. He was, however, happy to hear that there'd be a third Johnson child on the way but he also knew that the pregnancy left his friends with a dilemma. They lived in a three bedroom house near Society Hill and paid twice in rent than what their house was actually worth. It barely had any room for the antiques that Val had collected, and they weren't allowed to expand the house in anyway. Things were not looking their way. Still, something had to be done. Five people could not live in that house and survive.

`They need a bigger house . . . And I think I know just the place . . .'

"I'll talk to Torie," he stated.

"About what?"

"About getting you guys a new place to live. Our old five bedroom house is still vacant . . . I'm sure we can come up with some kind of an arrangement."

"You don't have to . . ." Robert began.

"Nonsense," Ryan waved his hand. "You need a bigger place and we have one for rent. You guys always liked it and I'm pretty sure Torie would rather see you and Val have it than some strangers. Besides, you guys belong here. In our neighborhood."

"I'll talk to Val about," Robert sighed. They returned their attention back to their children once more. For a few moments, the only sounds they heard were the laughter and squeals of six hyper children, the faint rustle of leaves every so often, and the occasional car driving by.

"Man, I really envy you," he finally stated. "An RV trip cross-country . . . I'd like to do that with my wife and children someday."

"Beats having four kids in a van during that time," Ryan chuckled. "But then Torie wanted the RV for vacations like this. She told me she'd decided that before she even moved here."

"She did?"

"Mm-hmm," he nodded. "After she took that mad dash from Michigan to California. From Chicago to Pasadena in an RV. And back again."

"Women live for planning, don't they?"

"Sure seems like it," Ryan agreed. "But I wouldn't have any other woman, Robert. Without Torie, I wouldn't have what I've got and I wouldn't be where I'm at today."

"On your way to being insanely rich?" Robert teased.

"Happily in love with a beautiful woman and having four beautiful children," he replied. He knew Robert was joking but he had to reply to that honestly. Robert understood. Hell, if the tables had been reversed, he'd have made the same joke.

"Hehe, don't I know it. Still, you can't deny that Torie's been your good luck charm, Ry. You're finally living your dreams because of her and I'm happy for you. A little jealous but I am happy for you. You deserve it. Both of you. I just don't know how you do it."

To that, Ryan started chuckling. He illustrated books and worked for a local animation company, had started that a month after he began dating Torie nearly five years ago. She wrote novels and screenplays and whatever else tickled her fancy, and she played an active part in the local education system. Torie had also opened two restaurants - one being a Japanese steakhouse, the other being a bar - and a Japanese botanical garden that specialized in massage therapy. Last year, they had opened a martial arts school and an art school, and had acquired four homes. Three of them were in the neighborhood - they had renovated the five story house that they now resided in - and the fourth was roughly thirty-five miles north of Philadelphia. Now his wife talked about opening a costume shop. Where they'd find the time for that, he didn't know. As it stood, he didn't know where they found the time to maintain five homes and five businesses while they raised four well-adjusted children.

"When I figure it out, I'll let you know."

"Please do," Robert chuckled. "I want the great balancing act, too."

"You need one more kid for that, as well as some homes and businesses of your own," Ryan winked.

"No! Three kids will be enough, thank you very much!"

"Spoilsport."

"Damn straight."

This brought another round of laughter from the two men.

"I feel like such a housewife . . . where did those two get off to anyway?"

"Don't know," Robert shrugged. "They should be back at any moment."

"Yeah . . ."

"Well," Robert stood up and stretched a little, "let's herd the kids to the garage. I wanna take a look at that RV before you guys take off in it."

"Yes, Master," Ryan smirked.

"You've been around Torie too long," his friend stated

"Not long enough, my friend. Not long enough."

Herding the children to the garage had not been an easy task. As is the wont of children, they wanted to continue running around and playing. The dogs didn't help, either. Ryan had to eventually grab his youngest two and carry them, which helped to get the rest of them in line.

"Go play in the RV," he told them as he set Inuyasha and Anna down. The kids cheered and ran for the side door.

"Is that a good idea?" Robert inquired as Sesshomaru let the rest in.

"If they're in the RV, we know where they're at," he pointed out. "Besides, Torie's let them play in it since she brought it out of storage. We've even slept in it."

"Ah . . . Getting them all the more excited about going cross-country. Man, you and Torie are not going to survive until the Fourth."

"Yeah, we will," Ryan smirked. "They may be excited but they're still on their best behaviour."

"Okay, now I'm really jealous . . . but I'll get over it. Pop the hood for me, will you?"

"Sure thing."

He opened the driver's side door and pulled the lever, releasing the hood. In the back, he could hear the children laughing and playing some strange game that Sesshomaru had invented. He smiled as he listened. If his oldest child's behaviour would be any indication, the road trip to California promised to be fun and interesting.

* * *

Inuyasha sat patiently as his mother buckled him in the backseat of her dark green Grand Cherokee Laredo. He only knew what the vehicle was called because of his father and the `uncles' he saw on a regular basis. However, he didn't really care what it was called. It could have been his father's truck, his mother's little red car, or the family van for all he cared. His brothers and sister weren't coming with him. He had his mother all to himself, if only for a short while.

"All set, baby?"

He nodded, causing his mother to smile. She kissed his forehead then brushed his hair back some. Then she winked.

"Let's go then."

She closed the door then climbed in the front. The vehicle hummed to life and they were pulling out of the yard. His father stood in front of the house, his sister balanced on his hip and his brothers wrestling around. Inuyasha gave a small wave to his dad, which was returned, then his mother took off.

"Where're we going, Mommy?"

"To the doctor, baby. It's time for your yearly check up," she replied.

"He isn't going to poke me again, is he?" Inuyasha frowned.

"I'm afraid it's a possibility, Inuyasha. Don't want you kids getting sick while we're on the road. That wouldn't be fun," she stated.

"Wed' have to turn around, wouldn't we?"

"Yes, we would." She glanced at him through the rearview mirror and smiled again. "After we see the doctor, we'll get some lunch then do some shopping. Okay?"

"Mm-hmm!" he flashed her a cheesy grin, gaining another smile and a chuckle from her.

"What a ham," he heard her murmur. He then looked out the window as they went.

In the summer, they normally walked everywhere, unless it rained. His parents often dragged out the double stroller and the red wagon, and they'd go. His father would pull the wagon while his mother would, as she put it, man the stroller. They saw many things that way and had time to stop to do activities along the way. When he'd asked what the RV trip would be like, that's how his parents had explained it. It had only increased his excitement, as well as his siblings', and they were already extremely excited.

`One more week and we'll be on our way to see Grandma and Grandpa, and Nanna and Ji-chan.'

Inuyasha didn't really mind the thought of spending a lot of time in the RV. They'd spent a lot of time in the family van, taking it to trips to Michigan and New York or, in the winter, to go see the Christmas lights. His mother often read to them on those long trips, at least when she wasn't driving. When his father wasn't driving, he drew them pictures, creating story after story. After the sun would go down, his parents either sang to them or turned the radio on. It had always been like that when they took the van. They never had to ask, "Are we there?"

"Here we are!" his mother announced, parking the SUV. Inuyasha groaned. He hated going to the doctor. He always got poked, something his brothers relished tormenting him about.

"Hey now," she chided, gently picking him up. "It isn't going to be that bad. We'll be out before you know it."

He still clung to her like some evil monster had been after him.

* * *

Torie kissed Inuyasha's forehead as she carried him into the doctor's office. Out of her sons, he was the quietest and the shyest. The moment she curled up with a book, he'd be right there, snuggling and eventually bringing Sesshomaru, Little Ryan, and Anna to her lap as well. It had become a common complaint of her husband that the children got to cuddle with her more often than what he did. The children always giggled at that.

`My little artist,' she thought lovingly, signing him in for his appointment. `Taking after his father, no doubt.'

For Christmas last year, Inuyasha had received some art sets from her mother, stepmother, and mother-in-law. It had been an instant love for him and she'd had to restock his supplies just so he'd leave Ryan's materials alone. Crayons, coloured pencils, markers, paint . . . he used it however he could, and it had only enhanced the skills he'd been displaying since last summer. She could honestly say Ryan drawing stories for them in the van had been Inuyasha's first drawing school.

`One who plays Chess and other intellectually stimulating games, one who loves sports, and one who loves art and the spoken word,' she smiled as they waited. `Makes me wonder what Anna's gonna be like when she gets older.'

She found a chair to sit in, her youngest cradled in her arms. Humming softly, Torie picked up a parenting magazine.

"You gonna help me pack up the RV tonight?"

"Mm-hmm," he nodded. She kissed his forehead and he looked up.

"Good. `Cuz I need some help picking out some books to take with us." She nuzzled him.

"And some movies?"

"And some movies," she chuckled. "Do you want to take some sketchpads with us?"

"Yeah . . ."

"All right . . . we'll buy some before we go home. But you're not to touch them until we go on vacation, understood?" At his sullen nod, she continued. "Good. Think your brothers and sister might like something, too?"

He nodded again, vigourously. It didn't bother her too much that he hardly spoke. Being the youngest of three boys, he'd somehow gotten it into his head to speak when he felt the need to. On occasion, he'd chatter her ear off like any four-year-old would but he also had competition for his parents' attention. Inuyasha also happened to be non-competitive by nature, his older brothers competing more with each other than bothering with him. Still, she'd like it if he'd speak up a little more often than what he did.

"Not gonna talk to me today?" She stuck her lower lip out as far as she could, causing him to giggle. Several people glanced at them, some giving her a disapproving look. Torie ignored them and continued to make faces at her son until the nurse called for them.

"You're silly," he told her as she stood up.

"You made me that way."

"Nuh-uh."

"Uh-huh . . . Hey, Carole."

The appointment went smoothly enough, even when Inuyasha received his shots, then they were gone. After lunch at the Japanese steakhouse and a little shopping, they arrived home. Ryan sat on the front porch, waiting for them, and he stood as she approached, bags on one arm and Inuyasha balanced on her hip. The rest of their children were nowhere in sight.

"How'd it go?" Ryan inquired, taking the four-year-old from her.

"He's healthy," she winked. "Where are the kids? Inuyasha and I picked some stuff out for them, and we need to get the RV packed."

"We still have a week left before we leave, Torie . . ."

"It's better to get as much as we can in so we're not scrambling the day before." Having said that, she brushed her lips against his. His free arm snaked around her waist.

"I hate it when you have a point," Ryan murmured, nuzzling her nose with his.

"But you love it when things run smoothly."

"Indeed I do."

* * *

"Here's the itinerary and our cell numbers . . ."

"Like we really need those," Robert joked.

"Oh hush," Ryan admonished. "Stop picking on my wife."

"Yes sir!"

"Nut," he muttered.

"Someone has to be," Robert smirked. "Anyway, thanks . . ."

"For what? You and Val are the ones house-sitting for us. It should be us thanking you," Ryan frowned.

"Not for this . . . For what you're doing for us. You guys don't have to." They looked over to where their wives were, talking and ushering children either into the RV or out. "And I mean it when I say have fun on your vacation. Maybe one day we can plan a dual family vacation together."

"Yeah . . . on the road . . . the wives to torment us in anyway that they can . . . seven screaming and hyper-active children . . . Let's do it next summer!"

Robert choked on his laughter. "You, my good friend, are something else."

"Between you and Torie, I can honestly say I've learned from the best."

"I bet . . . And it looks like you better get going before your kids drive off without you." Robert pointed to Anna in the driver's seat.

"Kids . . ." They shook hands briefly. "I guess we'd better get going then. We'll see you in three weeks."

"Yep. We'll be sure that the house will be demolished for you."

"Ha ha," Ryan said dryly. He strode over to the RV as his wife embraced her friend, and Val led her two children away. A few goodbyes later, they were on the road, westbound on I-76 towards Ohio. There they'd be visiting a long-time friend of Torie's then head north on I-75 until it his US 23. From 23, they'd make their way towards I-96, which would take them into Grand Rapids, and they'd hit US 131 there. Torie had family in Michigan and they were staying a few days so they could attend a family reunion. After that, they were making their way towards San Antonio then to Colorado Springs. The idea was to soak up the time together as a family and see many of the historic sites, like the Alamo and the Grand Canyon. They were even taking the kids and spending a few days at Disneyland. He and Torie would take turns driving and entertaining the children. Books, movies, CDs, sketchpads, board and card games, and Torie's guitar had been brought along while the gaming systems had been left at home. That had actually been the chidren's choice, not his or Torie's.

`Kids have a funny way of surprising you, especially when you least expect it,' he thought as he listened to the squeals and giggles as they played the same, strange game that Sesshomaru had invented. `As long as they're occupied.'

Before they knew it, the first seven days had come and gone, the drive being fairly uneventful. Torie had made sure that the movies and activities consisted of favourites and were rotated, making sure that their children never tired of them. If they did, there were always stores and attractions along the way. He cast a glance at his wife then frowned at how pale she looked.

"Do we need to stop?" he inquired softly.

"Yeah," Torie breathed. "This is getting to me."

He kept an eye out for any sign of where the next rest area or exit might be. Torie couldn't be kept in a vehicle for long periods of time. Trips to Michigan and back, she could handle but not the prolonged exposure. And she loved driving. That fact had always bugged him for some reason.

A few miles later they were pulling into a Denny's and getting out. While they had stocked their refrigerator in Michigan, what they had was more for snacking, and cold breakfasts and lunches. Going to the family restaurants allowed them to stretch their legs and gave Torie the breathing room that she needed. The kids jumped around as Ryan locked the RV up.

"I want a cheeseburger!"

"I want fries!"

"You'd think we didn't feed them with the way they're acting," Torie chuckled. Inuyasha had attached himself to her leg in the manner of all shy four-year-olds. Anna, she had balanced on her hip as Sesshomaru and Little Ryan jumped around and tried playing tag while calling out what they wanted to eat.

"Of course we don't," Ryan quipped. "Why would we do a silly thing like that?"

"Because you love us!"

"Yeah!"

Their eyes met, a smile tugging at his lips. Then Torie shrugged, her smile releasing his.

"Can't beat that logic," she chuckled as she led the kids inside. They were seated immediately, and Torie took Anna into the ladies' room. Ryan took the opportunity to re-situate the boys. Specifically, Little Ryan and Sesshomaru. Inuyasha had busied himself with colouring. The waitress brought the booster chair for Anna when Torie came back with the toddler.

"This is different," she commented. "Wrestling again?"

"Yep."

"Are you folks ready to order?"

They placed their order - cheeseburger and fries for Sesshomaru and Little Ryan, chicken strips for Anna, a grilled cheese sandwich for Inuyasha, and steak and potatoes for them; Sprites for the children while they drank coffee and Coca-Cola - and kept their children entertained as they waited. Their food came twenty minutes later. Ryan kept an eye on Inuyasha the entire time, the boy's sudden quiet and subdued bothering him. After they had finished and paid the bill, they tucked the children in - the boys dressed in shorts and t-shirts and Anna in a light nightgown - and were back on the road.

"Feeling better now, babe?"

"Yeah . . . I'll check on the kids in about half an hour," she murmured, fussing half-heartedly over the map.

"Something bothering you?" He glanced at her, noting the concern reflecting in her eyes.

"He's been quiet today. Too quiet. I don't like it."

"I know . . . Think he might be coming down with something?"

"Don't know," she shook her head. "Could be he's like me and can't be cooped up like this for too long."

"Could be . . ."

Her cell phone chose to ring at that moment. Torie reached over and answered it.

"Hello? . . . Oh, hi, Kagura . . . yeah . . . we're almost to San Antone . . . uh-huh . . .You're where? . . . I see . . . Sure . . . Yeah . . . It's no problem. Uh-huh, I'm sure . . . Hang on. Let me check the map real quick. Never go home without one . . ." The paper rustled as she flipped through the atlas. "We're about fifteen, twenty minutes away . . . Uh-huh . . . All right, just let me right this down." She pulled out her DayRunner and began to write. "Uh-huh . . . Right, right. I know how that goes . . . Yeah . . . Okay, we'll see you in about fifteen, twenty minutes then . . . No, it's no problem . . . Yep. . . . Love you, too. Bye."

She turned the phone off then tossed it onto the console. Then she turned the CD player on, switching out the 80s rock CD for some traditional Japanese.

"I take it we're picking up my aunt?" he winked.

"Yeah . . . Next exit. She got stranded at the airport. Can you believe that?"

"Just get me there," he chuckled. The family vacation just got a little more interesting.

* * *

Kagura Shinsei lounged against the window outside the airport's main entryway, a suitcase and two overnight bags at her feet. She kept an eye out for her nephew's RV to pull in to pick her up. As much as she hated to impose upon him on his vacation, Kagura had no choice. The airlines had conveniently forgotten about her rental car reservation and it'd be another day or so before another came in. She simply didn't have the time to wait. Her clients were expecting her at noon in San Antonio the next day.

`Thank goodness I talked to Mitsu and found out about them being here. While they see the sights, I can talk to these people,' she smiled. `It'll be fun to spend some time with them and the children. I'm so glad things have worked out for them. Especially for Sesshomaru and Inuyasha. I wonder if that's how they were like in the past, before they had hated each other.'

Kagura brushed her hair behind her ear. It had taken a few centuries to perfect her human appearance and `aging', as it were, but she felt it was well worth the effort. She'd lived a long and good life and now she worked for a Tokyo-based international adoption agency, having found a loving husband in Ryan's Uncle Hiroshi. If she hadn't, she didn't know what would have happened to the youkai brothers' reincarnations.

`When the time is right, I'll let their friends now. But not now. Not now.'

Ryan and Torie's RV pulled in front of her at that moment. She picked up her overnight bags and suitcase as Torie opened the passenger door. Immediately, the blonde-haired woman held out a hand. Kagura handed over one of the bags. She knew better than to argue with her.

"This way," Torie winked. "The kids are sleeping, just so you know. You can share the bottom bunk with Anna, if you'd like. That flight from Tokyo had to be rough."

"Hazards of the job, I'm afraid, but at least my airfare is free," she chuckled. Ryan opened the side door to admit them in then he went back to the driver's seat. In a moment, the RV lurched forward and the two women set the bags down and the suitcase. They made their way to the front - how they got an RV that seated four in the cab, Kagura could only guess - and talked quietly about family happenings until a tiny voice croaked out, "Mommy?" Torie and Kagura turned to see Inuyasha in the doorframe, tears filling his amethyst eyes and his lower lip trembling. Before Torie could ask him what was wrong, he'd crawled into her lap and buried his face in her shirt. Huge sobs wracked his tiny, lithe frame. Kagura watched as the boy was cradled in his mother's arms and rocked gently.

"Shhh, it's okay. I'm right here. You're okay now," she soothed, brushing back his hair and hugging him. "What's the matter, baby?"

"I had a bad dream," came the muffled whisper. Kagura barely heard him. "The bad man was after me."

The scene had a touching yet bittersweet quality. It looked like many of the paintings and drawings of mothers holding their children that she had seen over the centuries, and it warmed her heart to see it, especially with the knowledge of what his previous life had been like. Yet it twisted her heart. Inuyasha may have been a hated enemy five hundred years ago but now he was her nephew. Family and she hated to see any member of her family hurting or suffering. Quietly, she stood up. She'd help out however she could, even if it meant she could only perform a single task.

"Do you have any extra blankets, Torie?"

"In one of the drawers under the bed . . . Some fleece ones that I made . . . Second drawer, I think," she replied. Kagura made her way to the back and checked the second drawer. She returned to the front a moment later with a light blue fleece blanket. Carefully, she wrapped it rather loosely around the child. Inuyasha clung tightly to his mother, his eyes closed tight and tears streaming from them.

"How are the kids doing?" Torie inquired after mouthing a `Thank you' to her.

"Still sleeping. I'm surprised." She sat back down behind Ryan.

"I'm not. He's the quiet one, even when he's having a nightmare," Torie explained. "He doesn't toss about much, just wakes right up, and searches for me or Ryan. The other three, they scream."

"Strange," Kagura murmured. `Nothing like how he used to be. I'll have to ask them later about the bad man. They've never told their children any stories about how the boogie man would eat them if they didn't behave. At least, not that I'm aware of but I can't see them being that desperate. The kids are very well-behaved, better than most.'

The cab of the RV fell quiet, the only sounds being some traditional Japanese music, Torie's humming, and an occasional sniffle from Inuyasha. He soon fell back asleep, though Torie made no move to return him to the back. If anything, the younger woman had her eyes closed and appeared to be dozing off as well. Kagura chuckled softly. Her niece and great-nephew definitely had the right idea.

"Don't stay up too late driving, Ryan," she murmured. "Your wife will have a fit if you're too tired to enjoy the sites."

"There's a campground about a mile away from San Antonio. We'll be stopping there for the night. What time is your appointment, Aunt Kagura?"

"Noon. I need to be there by eleven thirty and I should be done by one thirty. After that, I'm free for the day. And thanks again for picking me up. I really appreciate it," she smiled.

"Anything for family. Besides, the kids will love seeing you. They love it when you're around."

"And I love seeing them, too. Good night, Ryan."

"Good night, Aunt Kagura."

She made her way back to the back, got ready for bed, and curled up next to her two-year-old niece . . .

* * *

Ten years later . . .

"Excuse me, Mrs. O'Connell?" a timid voice asked. Torie raised her head at the formal use of her name. Usually, students called her that but only when she actually taught at the high school. Her children's friends usually called her Mom, Ms C, or Torie, something her neighbors referred to her as as well. She wasn't one for a lot of unnecessary formality.

In front of her stood a light brown-haired woman wearing a green dress. Next to her was a huge bulk of a man wearing a white baseball cap, red shirt, and grey slacks. They both held Tupperware containers and smiled in a friendly manner.

"I'm Mrs. O'Connell," she replied, setting down her pen. The day had been nice out with the sun shining and no breeze that she had decided to work outside and salvage what little bit of pleasantry that she could. "And you are?"

"My name is Rachel Racer and this is my husband, Richard. Our family recently moved here and we thought we'd go around and introduce ourselves to the neighborhood."

"Rachel Racer? Any relation to Greg and Trixie Racer?"

"Yes," she sighed. "Greg is my son and Trixie my daughter-in-law. And, before you say anything, I'd like to apologize for their and my grandson's behaviours earlier today. They were completely uncalled for. How is your son doing?"

"Good," she smiled. Already she liked this couple. Not say she didn't like it if people challenged her when it came to her children. Far from it. It kept people honest and taught responsibility for one's actions, as far as she was concerned, but they also had to be prepared for her to challenge them as well. It didn't work one way. To her, hearing this woman apologize for unruly and uncalled-for behaviour meant that at least someone had her head on straight. "He's inside right now, fixing a late lunch. Would you like to come in and join us?"

"We'd love to," Rachel nodded. "Thank you, Mrs. O'Connell. I hope your children like cookies. We've been giving them out in small containers to everyone."

"My kids do," Torie said, picking up her pen and notebook. She then got to her feet. "But the child inside can't have them." At the questioning look, she quickly added, "He's a diabetic. We have to watch the amount of sugar he takes in and how often. He could end up in the hospital if we're not careful. And please . . . call me Torie."

"I see . . . Thank you, Torie."

The three of them headed for the door. Mr. Racer chose that moment to speak up.

"I love the RV you have in your yard," he beamed. "We used to have one somewhat like it, back when our boys were little. Excellent company, Ford is. It's a fine machine. How often do you use it?"

"Every summer, usually to go to the Renaissance Festivals here and in Michigan, and to visit our families in Michigan and California," she replied. "In fact, let me tell you about the vacation we took ten years ago . . ."