Speed Racer Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love, Life, and Reincarnations ❯ The Homecoming Dance ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

There are only a few times in the life of a high school student that he or she really looks forward to, no matter what their niche is. For the most part. Other than Greg, the Racer household was no exception. Though the event was two weeks away, his mother and his twin sister had started fussing. What dress she would wear, how her hair would be done, makeup . . . the entire usual girl hooplah. His younger sister already had her dress and he had his tux . . . his only problem being his father at that point.
 
`The pressure's on,' he thought morosely as he listened to his mother and Danielle gabber excitedly about the dance and the possibility of Dani becoming Homecoming Queen. Greg suppressed a sigh of annoyance, setting his pen down. His father glanced at him.
 
“Something wrong?” Speed asked.
 
“No,” Greg shook his head. “Just trying to do the family tree and figure out a presentation for the end of the week.”
 
“A stupid thing to do, if you ask me,” the older Racer muttered.
 
“Dad, it's Heritage Week. Every project we do is worth twenty points of extra credit, and it's the school's way of exposing us a wide of variety of cultures.”
 
“And I have nothing against that,” Speed explained gently. “I just think that your time could be better spent focusing on your studies and athletics . . . maybe even try to become the Homecoming King.”
 
“With Danielle trying to become the Homecoming Queen? Dad, that's just gross.”
 
“There's no guarantee that you'll both win. Besides, it won't hurt to try.”
 
Greg shook his head. His father just didn't get it. Thanks to Danielle's attitude, most of the senior class thought that he and his sister were full of themselves. To compete for Homecoming King while she went after the queen title would only add to that fire. Besides, it felt wrong to him and it would give people a very bad impression about his relationship with his sister. But Greg said nothing of it to his father. Speed wanted his children to be the top of the class yet also be mindful of what others thought of them.
 
`Can't have it both ways, Dad,' he thought to himself as he picked his pen up and went back to his family tree.
 
* * *
 
“I don't get this,” Sango frowned, gazing at the paper before her. She had decided to forgo creating a family tree - her family was dead and had been for five hundreds years - and had decided to try to give a demonstration on martial arts for her classmates. Unfortunately, the rules had not made it out until the third day of Heritage Week and the deadline for signing up was that day. The rules hadn't made much sense to her and she was trying to figure out what it was that she could actually do. Sighing softly, she poked at her lunch.
 
Since the move to America, it had felt like one big surprise after another. The first day of school she, Miroku, and Kagome had met Naraku's, Kanna's, and Inuyasha's reincarnations, Jade, Trysten, and Inuyasha. And they were the best of friends. It made Sango glad to know that Inuyasha had, in fact, been reincarnated, especially with the way Kagome's eyes finally lit back up at seeing him. But they'd been in for a bit of a shock. Inuyasha wasn't quite fifteen and he was dating Trysten. And he was different from the Inuyasha they had known. Artistic, quiet, almost to the point of being shy . . . not the loud-mouth, arrogant hanyou that they had known. But Sango attributed the differences to how the two had grown up. The hanyou Inuyasha had grown up alone, people despising him for what he was. The reincarnated Inuyasha had a stable family environment, a mother and father who loved and protected him and encouraged him in whatever he wanted to do; two brothers who looked after him and helped him if he needed it and a little sister whom he adored.
 
`And that's when the other surprises came in,' she thought.
 
After they had met Inuyasha's parents, Ryan and Torie O'Connell, they had learned that the O'Connells were Mrs. Higurashi's landlords. And the heads of the O'Connell clan were among the nicest people Sango had ever met. Other than Mrs. Higurashi, Sango never would have expected anyone to take in two extra children, especially after they'd already had their first one. Ryan and Torie had. Inuyasha and his oldest brother had been adopted. It had been when his older brothers and little sister had been introduced that one of the final shocks came in. His oldest brother just happened to be named Sesshomaru . . . and the reincarnation of the deceased daiyoukai, minus the facial markings.
 
“Everything all right, Sango?”
 
Her thoughts interrupted, the former taijiya glanced up to see Inuyasha take the seat across from her. The rest of their group - Ayame, Kagome, Miroku, Jade, Trysten, Steve, G, and Nitro - had yet to join them.
 
“Huh? Oh. Yeah,” she smiled. “Just trying to figure out the rules of the martial arts display.”
 
“Oh. That,” he smirked. “Yeah. A lot of people are. Dad's not going to be happy with the way his words got butchered and jumbled.”
 
“Your dad's running this?”
 
“Yeah,” he nodded, taking a drink from a diet soda. “He and the J.V. football coach, Mr. Racer, were asked to coordinate it. You thinking about participating?”
 
“Something like that.”
 
“Then just show up at my place after school tonight. Mom's going to be home for a while and Dad should be home by the time school's out. He's the one you want to talk to about it, anyway. And take the rules with you. That way he can see what was done.”
 
“You're not going to be home?”
 
“Not until later. O.M. and fencing lessons tonight,” he replied. “I'll call them to let them know you'll be stopping by.”
 
“Thank you. I appreciate it,” Sango murmured as a group of senior girls walked by.
 
“Hey, O'Connell,” one of the girls sneered, causing a few of her companions to glance nervously at each other. “Having fun?”
 
Irritation flashed in amethyst depths, but his face never gave any indication. Sango only caught it because she happened to be sitting across from him. And, instead of letting his irritation get the better of him, as he would have in the past, Inuyasha plastered a grin on his face then turned towards the offending senior.
 
“Sorry, Danielle. As much as I would like to go out on a date with you, I can't. I already have a girlfriend who's nicer, sweeter, and prettier than you are,” he stated, his tone almost apologetic. “Please stop asking me. It's becoming quite embarrassing.”
 
“Why you little . . .” she hissed. Inuyasha waggled a finger at her.
 
“Tut, tut,” he smirked. “Not the way to behave when Big Brother is watching.”
 
Danielle scowled then stormed off with a humph. The girls with her scurried after, one of them giving Inuyasha an apologetic smile. When they were gone, he let out a sigh then offered Sango the barest and faintest of grins.
 
“Sorry about that, but Danielle's been like this since she moved here,” he explained, “and it's because her mom and dad think I'm a trouble-maker, though her dad's more adamant about it than her mom.”
 
“Why would they think that?” Sango frowned. “Do they even know you?”
 
“No. The Racers just moved here, been here probably about a week longer than you. But her parents, especially Mr. Racer, think that, because I like to dress in black and Goth mostly, I'm nothing but trouble. And they tried to convince Mom of it, like he knew me better than she did.”
 
“But you're close with your mom,” she pointed out. “Closer than most guys I've met. How would he know you better than her?”
 
To that, Inuyasha shrugged.
 
“Don't know. But that's what he thinks and, from the one time I met him, he expects everyone to agree with him. He isn't wrong, everyone else. I guess that's just what they're used to from where they lived before.”
 
“So, because her father feels that he needs to be right all the time, this Danielle goes out of her way to try and aggravate you,” Sango grumbled. “To prove that her father's right. I just don't get some people.”
 
“I try not to let her bother me,” Inuyasha soothed. “You shouldn't either. I mean, I did grow up with two older brothers who really liked to compete with each other and who liked to torment me.” Then he grinned rather devilishly and Sango felt goose bumps on her arms, deja vu coming over her. She'd seen him grin like that before, only with fangs and golden-amber eyes, and she couldn't help but feel a pang of hurt as she gazed at him. Like Kagome, Sango missed the hanyou Inuyasha very much. “One of whom Danielle really, really likes.”
 
“You mean?” Her eyes widened at his implication.
 
“Yep. Sesshomaru.”
 
* * *
 
“I swear, one day . . .” Danielle seethed as she retreated into the upper halls of the school.
 
“You really should leave Inuyasha alone,” one of her friends interrupted. “Trying to aggravate him like that is only going to get you into trouble, not to mention ruin any chances of friendship you might have with Sesshomaru!”
 
“Lila,” Danielle warned. The other girl shook her head.
 
“No. I'm not going to back down on this, Dani. I may not like Inuyasha but it's because the kid creeps me out every now and then. However, he is Sesshomaru's younger brother. That I have to respect. And I value Sesshomaru's friendship. I will not jeopardize that simply because you're getting kicks trying to torment his little brother. If you can't handle that then I suggest you find someone else to be your friend. Good day.”
 
Lila whirled around then stalked away. Danielle blinked. Had one of her friends talked back to her then walk away?
 
“She's right, Dani,” a second voice whispered. “You need to leave Inuyasha alone. Sesshomaru won't tolerate it at all.”
 
“If Sesshomaru's that protective of his little brother then why doesn't he say something to me?” Danielle scowled.
 
“Because his silence is his way of telling you, Dani,” the second girl stated. “It's a sign of his disapproval. You don't know him the way that we do. For those of us who've known him a long time, it's his way of saying if his little brothers aren't good enough for you to be at least be nice to then you're not good enough to be his friend.”
 
“What?! That's ridiculous!”
 
“They're a close-knit family, Dani. Family before friends. What else would you expect from them?” came the quiet inquiry. “You can't say you wouldn't be the same way when it comes to your brothers and sister.”
 
Danielle's scowl deepened. This was not what she was used to! If people were your friends, they agreed with you and did as you did. At least . . . her friends in Farmington Hills had. These girls were different. These girls liked her, as her friends from home did. Unlike her friends in Farmington Hills, however, they were not impressed by the amount of money she had or her family last night.
 
`I'll just have to remedy that,' she thought. `I will make them respect my family name, the same way they respect the O'Connell last night. And I will make Inuyasha pay. One way or another, I will.'
 
* * *
 
“I can't believe this! Sango, I'm so happy for you!” Kagome exclaimed, capturing the taijiya in a hug. “I can't believe that the school does this!”
 
It was a bright and cool autumn day, and the Higurashi family was attending the high school football game. More precisely, the Homecoming football game for West Hall High, and half time was drawing near. Both girls had left their family and friends in the stands to take their places in the royal court - Kagome as a potential Homecoming Queen and Sango as an official member of the “court,” as the soon-to-be-announced King's Japanese bodyguard and “assassin.” While Kagome's status remained uncertain, Sango's was definite. Not only would the taijiya be in the following parade, she would also be in the half-time show, demonstrating her skills with a blade. Somehow, it was a bonus for participating in Heritage Week the week before. Not only had they earned extra credit by participating but had guaranteed spots in the “royal court,” depending on what they had done.
 
“Thanks,” Sango chuckled, finding Inuyasha talking with Jade. “You better go and take your place. It's almost half time and they'll be making the announcements soon. Good luck, Kagome.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
The two separated and took their places among their fellow court members, waiting for the marching band to signal that half time had come . . .
 
* * *
 
Balloons and flowers of blue and white decorated the walls and ceilings in strategic positions. Backdrops of painted fantasy depictions - knights fighting dragons and wizards casting spells - hung from the ceiling against the wall, creating a mystique and romantic atmosphere. Streamers arched gracefully from one of the ceiling to the other, each twisted in a myriad of blues and white. A strobe light had been placed at one end of the room and a disco ball in the center of the ceiling while fog machines had been placed in opposite corners, filling the dance floor. In a word, it was magical. Sesshomaru had to admit that the freshman class had done an excellent job of decorating and coming up with a very suitable theme.
 
“I don't believe this,” Austen breathed, her blue-green eyes sparkling. “Did they get Inuyasha involved in this? They must have! He's the only one I know who could paint like this!”
 
“Yeah, they did, amazingly enough,” he nodded, drinking in her appearance and the way her pale yellow dress draped over her body. “I've always known he'd be able to do something like this.”
 
“Now you're just bragging,” the tall brunette chided with a wink. Music had begun to play, allowing nearly every couple to start dancing.
 
“I'm allowed,” Sesshomaru smiled. “He's my otouto.”
 
“I know,” she sighed contentedly, leaning her head against his shoulder. “You'll have to let him know what you thought of this.”
 
“Later,” he promised, embracing her close. “Right now, it's just you and me, and that's how I want it.”
 
“Yeah . . .”
 
Surreptitiously, he glanced at the brother in question. Inuyasha had opted to wear one of their father's white dress shirts with a pair of black loafers, looking formal without actually being formal. The dark-haired youth seemed content to just stay on the sidelines laugh with his friends.
 
`A trait he's picked up from Mother, no doubt. Just as long as he's having fun,' Sesshomaru thought as he gazed about for Little Ryan. `So long as they're both having fun . . . that's all that counts. For tonight. Enjoy it, little brothers. It'll be over before you know it.'
 
He paused for a moment to adjust the crown on his head. He'd have to dance with Danielle Racer later, for the King and Queen's dance, and it was not a prospect he was looking forward to. But it was only one dance, and he could always excuse himself afterwards to check on his brothers then resume dancing with Austen. It would be the only time he'd be glad that Inuyasha had diabetes, a thought that would later hound him with guilt.