Speed Racer Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love, Life, and Reincarnations ❯ When Tragedy Strikes ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“Inuyasha?! Inuyasha, stay with me,” a voice demanded. “Come on, otouto. Take a drink. That's it. A little more.”
 
He barely managed to swallow the soda that had been pressed to his lips. His head pounded and he felt himself trembling violently. He had to tell them what had happened. It was important. Struggling, he tried to open his eyes and say something but the words weren't coming.
 
“What's happening? Why's he shaking like that?” another voice inquired. His wrist lifted up of its own accord, slender fingers wrapped gently around it.
 
“His blood sugar's dropped. It's dangerously low,” the first voice replied with a growl. “Dammit, how did this happen?”
 
“I've called Mom . . .”
 
“There's an ambulance on the way . . .”
 
The soda bottle pressed to his lips again.
 
“Come on, otouto, take another drink . . .”
 
* * *
 
Speed took another drink of coffee as he read the weekend paper. He was still disappointed that his son had not even bothered to try and run for Homecoming king, like he had wanted, but he had to admit that Greg had been right. If both twins had won the titles, they'd have been ridiculed for having to dance together. But, lately, there had been something different about Greg, something Speed couldn't quite put a finger on.
 
`Ah well,' he shrugged. `Can't worry too much about it. He's becoming a man. So long as he isn't hanging around punks like Inuyasha O'Connell, I don't care. It's his senior year, and he's in the top of his game.'
 
Speed sighed as he thought of the youngest O'Connell boy. He'd contacted Inspector Detector to dig up whatever he could on Inuyasha and had been very specific as to what to look for - drug use, vandalism . . . the usual things Goth kids were up to. Instead, the police officer had only been able to find an excellent track record on the boy. Made the honour roll at school, belonged to the National Honour Society, took fencing and violin lessons . . . the only thing Inspector Detector hadn't been able to figure out was why Inuyasha visited a local health clinic at least three times a week.
 
`Must be a drug rehabilitation center,' he told himself. `Just because he doesn't have a record doesn't mean anything. He's just been careful not to get caught by either the police or his parents.'
 
The sound of a car pulling into the driveway caught his attention. Frowning, Speed set the paper and his coffee cup down. He and Trixie had just entered the walkway when the door opened to admit Greg, Danielle, and Catherine.
 
Greg had a somber expression on his face as he set his car keys on the table next to the door. Danielle was upset and Catherine's face was as pale as a ghost. Immediately, Catherine dashed for her room, tears forming in her eyes.
 
“Aren't you guys home early?” Trixie inquired.
 
“They called the dance off,” Greg replied. “A student got sent to the hospital by ambulance.”
 
“Oh my goodness!” Trixie gasped.
 
“Before you start feeling sympathetic, Mom, the student was Inuyasha O'Connell,” Danielle stated with a snort. “I heard someone say it was an overdose of some kind. Ruined my chances of dancing with Sesshomaru, too.”
 
“His blood sugar dropped, Dani!” Greg exclaimed. “Scared the living daylights out of everyone! His brothers were trying to get him to come to!”
 
“One of the students found needles scattered on the hallway floor . . .”
 
Speed bit back a growl then grabbed a jacket, his cell phone, and his keys. Like a shot, he exited his house, and had dialed Inspector Detector's number. If Inuyasha had been taken to the hospital by ambulance then a call to 9-1-1 had been made.
 
`Time to finally give Ryan and Torie O'Connell a piece of my mind,' he told himself as he drove. `And it's time that I told them about their son's little habit. Now they'll have listen to me and see that I'm right. Their son is nothing but trouble.'
 
* * *
 
Torie O'Connell heaved a weary sigh and wiped away her tears. Crying wouldn't do her any good. Not when her children needed her. She could cry later.
 
Gently, she took her youngest son's hand into hers, mindful of the IV and the heart monitor. Across from her sat Ryan, and Sesshomaru had taken the chair in the corner. Little Ryan had taken Anna to the vending machines for some snacks and drinks. Something to distract them, if only for a few moments.
 
Inuyasha lay still in the bed between her and her husband, his eyes closed. He'd been hooked up to oxygen the moment the paramedics had gotten to him. He'd also closed his eyes on the way to St. Jude's and had yet to open them again.
 
Five years. It had been five long years since the pediatrician had informed them that Inuyasha had diabetes, and it had been five years since Inuyasha had had to stay in the hospital . . .
* * *
 
Five years before . . .
 
“Da da da da da,” Torie hummed as she sat, Indian-style, in the laundry room and folded laundry. For some reason, she had Beethoven running through her head and she felt compelled to let it out. With a smile, she glanced at the nine-year-old folding washcloths. Amethyst eyes gazed, almost downtrodden, as he finished the task before him.
 
“Feeling all right, baby?”
 
“Yeah,” Inuyasha nodded. “Just wish we could've gone on vacation somewhere. That's all.”
 
“I know,” she murmured. “I wish we could've gone, too, but it's best to stay home and be safe rather than be sorry. I don't want some strange doctor giving you a check up should anything happen.”
 
Inuyasha offered her a wan smile and pulled more washcloths from the basket. Torie watched him for a minute, debating on whether or not she should have him check his blood sugar. Just to be on the safe side.
 
Inuyasha had been sick for the last three weeks or so, and had complained often of feeling dizzy. Worried, Torie had kept an eye on him, hoping that it would run its course, whatever was bothering him. However, his symptoms had grown worse and she had become suspicious. It had been within the last two weeks of him complaining of dizziness that she'd taken him to the doctor and it had been then that the doctor had diagnosed Inuyasha with diabetes. Things had changed rather drastically since then. Meal preparations hadn't changed that much - there was still plenty that Inuyasha could eat. All he needed was a sugar substitute, which Torie used already - but snacks and drinks had. Candy had practically disappeared from their house, and sugar-free drinks sat in the fridge, next to the juices and Kool-Aid. The worse part, though, had been the testing and getting Inuyasha to give himself his own injections. He still hated needles and often cried when he had to take his insulin. Fate had played a cruel trick on the small boy and it pained Torie to see him have to go through all of this.
 
“Mom! We're done!”
 
Footsteps echoed in the hallway as Little Ryan, followed by Anna, plowed into the room. Torie glanced at them, slightly grateful for the interruption.
 
“You're done?”
 
They both nodded.
 
“The windows cleaned? Beds made? Toys off the floor?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Uh-huh.”
 
“All right,” she gazed at them then smiled. “Anna, go get me your brother's glucometer from the bathroom. It should be in the medicine cabinet. Ryan, start folding the hand towels.”
 
“But Mom!” came the chorus of cries.
 
“Yeah, yeah, I'm terrible,” she chuckled. “I'm mean and rotten. Just go, Anna. Your father will be home soon with his cousin and his friends. You can pounce on him all you like then. What's Sesshomaru doing, Ryan?”
 
As Anna went to retrieve the glucometer, Little Ryan sat down and set about folding towels.
 
“Doing his research project,” he answered. “Won't let anyone into his room.”
 
“Ah. So it's the usual then. Right?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Mom, do I really have to check my blood sugar?” Inuyasha pouted.
 
“Yes, dear. You don't look like you're feeling very good and I just want to be sure that it isn't that. Okay?” Torie smiled sadly at her son's pout then held her arms out to him. He immediately came to her, curling up in her lap. She kissed his forehead.
 
“I know you don't like this, baby,” Torie murmured. “I don't like it, either. But it's something we have to do to keep you healthy. I don't want you to have to go to the hospital.”
 
“I know,” he sighed.
 
“Hey,” she gently pulled his head back so that he was looking directly at her. “I have an idea. Once we get everything under control, how about we take a trip to New York? Spend the weekend there? Would you like that?”
 
“Would that be our vacation?”
 
“Yep,” she nodded. “That'll be our vacation. Sound good to you?”
 
“Yeah,” he smiled. She glanced at Little Ryan.
 
“Sound good to you, Ryan?”
 
“Yep!” he chirped, grinning.
 
“Here it is, Mommy!”
 
Anna dashed into the room and handed over the glucometer.
 
“Thank you,” Torie smiled. “Now start putting the socks together.”
 
“Yes, Mommy,” she groaned, plopping onto the ground. Torie shook her head and helped Inuyasha with the glucometer.
 
“Behave yourself,” she chided gently. “When your brother's feeling better, we'll take a trip to New York. Kay?”
 
“Really?”
 
“I have to talk to Daddy first but, yeah. We'll go there and spend the weekend. But only when your brother's feeling better. Okay?”
 
“Okay!”
 
She had just gotten the results when the dogs started barking. Two heads shot up and eyes widened. A second later, a familiar male voice rang out, “I'm home!”
 
Little Ryan and Anna scrambled out of the room as Torie got to her feet, Inuyasha still clinging to her.
 
`Time to greet our guests,' she thought, sidestepping laundry baskets on her way out.
 
* * *
 
“Wow,” Kimber Benton breathed as she gazed at the historic, five-story house before her. It had been painted white with a dark grey trim, a sprawling yard, and what appeared to be a three-car garage. Flowers had been planted along the edge and there were a few climbing rose plants on the front porch. “This house is amazing.”
 
“That it is,” Jem chuckled as she, the Holograms, and their tour manager, Rio Pacheco, climbed out of the dark blue van. Their host and owner of the vehicle, Ryan O'Connell, climbed out as well.
 
“To think that we'll be spending an entire week in this house and with author Torie Cronkhite no less!” Asa exclaimed. “This is going to be so great!”
 
This is where Torie Cronkhite lives?! You've got to be kidding me!”
 
“Oh no,” came the collective groan from the Holograms as everyone turned to see who had spoken. Behind them were the Misfits and their manager, Eric Raymond.
 
“Get off it, Pizzazz,” Roxy chided. “She's an author. She can have her house however she likes it.”
 
“Yeah,” Stormer agreed. “Besides, it looks rather classy.”
 
“And quaint,” Jetta piped in. “Wonder what else there is.”
 
“Whatever,” the green-haired woman grumbled, keeping her eyes on the house itself.
 
“What are you doing here?” Jem finally demanded, folding her arms.
 
We have an appointment with Ms Cronkhite,” Eric stated. “What are you doing here?”
 
“We're on vacation, Eric,” Rio growled.
 
“There'll be none of that, people,” Ryan interjected. “This is my home as well as Torie's and I will not tolerate fighting of any kind. Especially around my children. I will ask you to leave, family or not.” His gaze landed on Rio as he said the last part. “Do I make myself clear?”
 
“Yeah,” Rio grumbled as Eric nodded and said, “Absolutely.”
 
“Good. Because you'll find that my wife can and will be a lot worse than I can be. Now you'll follow me . . .”
 
Ryan turned and headed for the house. As the group followed him, Kimber kept glancing at the Misfits and couldn't help but wonder what they were up to this time.
 
* * *
 
Two days had passed since Jem and the Holograms, and Rio had started their Philadelphia vacation with Rio's cousin, Ryan O'Connell, and his family . . . and the Misfits.
 
Not wanting to be outdone, Pizzazz had practically begged for her band to be able to stay with them as well. Especially since Torie wouldn't put up with demanding and temper tantrums. That had become quite clear in the first five minutes of meeting the authoress. Eventually, Ryan and Torie had agreed, reluctantly, and they made sure that everyone knew to be on their best behaviour. Jem had not liked the arrangement, and still didn't.
 
Then, the day after they had arrived, it had happened.
 
Unbeknownst to the two bands and their managers, Ryan and Torie's oldest son, Sesshomaru, had written a review on both bands. It had been part of a project for a group called Youths For The Arts, and the group was open to youngsters eleven and older. A local paper had agreed to work with the group and to publish the reviews as soon as the teens and pre-teens turned them in. The thirteen-year-old's review had been published after their arrival. Jem still couldn't believe how scathing Sesshomaru's review got on, not just the Misfits, but the Holograms as well. When he'd been confronted by both bands on the article, Sesshomaru merely folded his arms and stated that he stood by what he wrote. Nothing would be able to change his mind. If they didn't like it, that was simply too bad. He had only written what he thought and felt. Then, just as calmly, he had turned and walked away, completely unnerving Jem in the process.
 
`How can anyone raise children to be like that?'
 
“Are you all right?”
 
“Hmm?” Blinking, Jem glanced up to see who had spoken. Rio stood across from her.
 
“Are you all right?” He sat down in the nearest chair, a concerned expression on his face.
 
“Oh,” she smiled. “Yeah. I guess I am. It just feels strange being in this house . . .”
 
“Especially with the Misfits being here?”
 
“Yeah . . . I'm surprised that Pizzazz is even talking your cousins after that review Sesshomaru wrote.”
 
“I know . . . Listen, I'm sorry about how things have been turning out so far,” Rio stated. “I certainly didn't expect Ryan's family to be like this.”
 
“It's okay, Rio. It isn't your fault or theirs. Ryan and Torie just have a different way of raising their children than what we're used to. Different but effective. I'm just worried about the Misfits' influence on their children.”
 
“So am I. But everyone's trying to spend time with them, to try and counter everything the Misfits could end up doing.”
 
“Yeah,” she nodded. “We better go see how everyone's doing . . .”
 
* * *
 
Torie shook her head, dispelling the magic of the reverie. Jem had confronted her with concerns, though she had worried over nothing in the end, especially after the way Roxy had handled Inuyasha passing out from his blood sugar acting up.
 
`He ended up in the hospital then as well,' she thought, brushing back his hair. `And he'd hated it . . . He'd hated being poked every hour, on the hour . . . but that's how badly it had progressed. Oh my baby . . .'
 
Torie glanced at the clock then at Sesshomaru. She knew that her children would want to stay, to be there for their brother, but knew that they couldn't, either.
 
Sesshomaru caught her glance then nodded.
 
“I'll get Anna and Ryan, and head home,” he murmured. “We'll be back in the morning.”
 
“We'll call if anything changes.”
 
Quietly, Sesshomaru slipped out of the room. Torie watched him go, her heart aching. All she had wanted for this evening was for her sons to have a good time at the dance . . . Sesshomaru's last Homecoming and Ryan and Inuyasha's first. Now it would be overshadowed by a family tragedy.
 
After Sesshomaru had left, the doctor, along with Officer Mike Andersen, Jade and Trysten's father, entered the room.
 
“Mr. and Mrs. O'Connell, we have some news . . .”
 
* * *
 
Speed reached St. Jude's in record time. Outside the doors waited Inspector Detector.
 
“So glad you could meet me here,” he breathed as they rushed into the hospital. “Especially on such short notice. Is it true? Did they find needles on Inuyasha or ones that belonged to him?”
 
“It is,” the detective confirmed. “But the contents have not been identified. At least not to my knowledge. The local police haven't been too keen on me sticking my head into what they believe to be none of my business.”
 
“Doesn't matter,” Speed stated. “I just want the O'Connells t know what kind of kid it is they've raised.”
 
“Right. He's on the third floor.”
 
They got on an elevator and pushed the button for the third floor, missing the other three O'Connell children as they left. When they got to Inuyasha's room, Speed saw a doctor and a police officer talking to Ryan and Torie. He paused for a moment. As soon as the doctor and officer left, he approached them. Torie groaned and shook her head. Ryan glared at him.
 
`If looks could kill, I'd be dead right now. But they know. That officer here proves it. I was right all along.'
 
“Shouldn't you be at home with your children?” Torie inquired before he could say anything. “Cripes, one of their classmates left the dance in an ambulance. That couldn't have been easy for them to see.”
 
“How would you know?” Speed snapped. “If your son hadn't brought drugs to the dance, in the first place, then my kids would still be at the dance!”
 
Torie closed her eyes, her face becoming cold, almost expressionless.
 
“Mr. Racer, if you do not cease this harassment of my son, I will have a restraining order placed on you and your friend,” Torie stated, her tone cool and neutral. Her husband placed his hands on her shoulders, almost in a protective manner.
 
“When you see your son for what he is . . .”
 
My son, Mr. Racer, is quiet and shy boy,” she hissed. “He is a good child. Always has been and always will be.”
 
“Then why did he have those needles on him, Mrs. O'Connell?” Inspector Detector demanded. “Why does he go to a health clinic at least three times a week?! Tell us that!”
 
Not that it's any of your business but he's a diabetic. He carries the needles in a crash kit, just in case, and goes to see a diabetic manager. But then, if you weren't so narrow-minded and pig-headed and so goddamned self-righteous, you'd probably know that and you wouldn't be here when your kids need you the most. Now if you'll excuse us, our son needs us.”
 
Torie then stormed into Inuyasha's room. Ryan's eyes hardened.
 
“Stay away from us if you're going to be like this,” he stated calmly then followed his wife.
 
Speed shook his head, not quite believing everything they had said.
 
`The things some people will say and do for their children,' he told himself as he and Inspector Detector left the building. `Denial can be such an ugly thing.'