Speed Racer Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love, Life, and Reincarnations ❯ Wintertime Blues ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Nine weeks had passed since the events of the Homecoming Dance and things were, Inuyasha noted with a happy sigh, finally getting back to normal. Or as normal as they could. He still looked over his shoulder every now and then, watching those who weren't close to him with the greatest of suspicion. It had been tough at first, going back to school, especially after he'd been in the hospital for three weeks. He'd gotten caught up on all of his assignments, thanks to his friends Jade, Trysten, Sango, and Ayumi, his brothers, and, to his surprise, Catherine Racer. Now he just had to get through his first full day back.
 
Inuyasha closed his locker, his books in hand along with several pieces of paper. The day had just started and he had several he needed to thank. A lot of people had sent him get-well cards, after all.
 
* * *
 
Speed inhaled deeply as he entered his parents' home and felt his mouth tingle in anticipation. The entire house had filled with the scent of sugar and warm cinnamon. His mother was getting an early start on her Christmas baking, it smelled like.
 
He shrugged out of his jacket then headed for the kitchen . . . only to pause. Sitting in the kitchen with his mother was none other than Torie O'Connell.
 
The two women glanced up from their coffees as he walked in. Torie appeared to be upset about something, but she had quickly masked it. As soon as he appeared, she took one last drink of her coffee then got to her feet.
 
“Thank you for the coffee, Rachel. I'll talk to you later,” she murmured, bowing slightly. She picked up a stack of brightly coloured papers then left. As soon as he heard the door close, he glared at his mother.
 
“What was she doing here?” he demanded.
 
“Visiting and don't you dare take that tone with me, Gregory James Racer,” she snapped. “I can have anyone that I want over and not answer to you, young man.”
 
She turned away from him. Speed as if he'd been slapped in the face. His mother had never been that angry with him.
 
“I'm sorry,” he murmured. “It was just a bit of a shock to see her here. Why didn't you call Trixie if you wanted some company?”
 
“Because I wanted to talk to Torie,” she stated succinctly. “As she had some flyers to hand out, she was more than happy to stop by.”
 
“Flyers? Flyers for what?”
 
His mother pointed to a piece of paper on the table then got up to rinse out the coffee cups. Speed picked it up to read it.
 
* * *
 
“The annual community potluck dinner?” Trixie read aloud then stared at the woman outside her door. “What's this supposed to mean, Mrs. O'Connell?”
 
“Just what it means,” the blonde-haired woman replied. “In two weeks, just after school lets out for Christmas break, my husband and I will be hosting our fifteenth annual banquet slash potluck dinner. It's open to everyone who lives in our neighbourhood and wants to come. Bring a dish to pass, any recipe you want to try or share. If you come and you bring a dessert with you, please make sure there's something there for the diabetics.”
 
“Saying that because of your son?”
 
Greg had explained to her the night of the dance that Inuyasha was a diabetic, that his blood sugar dropping had been the reason why the boy had been rushed to the hospital by ambulance. Of course, she didn't entirely believe it, and neither did Speed, but that had been the official story. No one else had questioned it.
 
“Yeah,” the older woman nodded. “And because of Mrs. Rogers, Mr. Mathey . . . Quite a few people in the neighbourhood that are diabetics, Mrs. Racer. Don't want anyone to get sick and go to the hospital, now would we?”
 
“No,” Trixie murmured, feeling a slight pang of sympathy for the blonde-haired woman. She may not have liked the woman or cared for the fact that she let her kids do whatever they wanted, but Trixie was a mother as well. To have a child hospitalized the way Inuyasha had been . . . it had to have scared the O'Connells. “Well . . . I'll have to talk to my husband about this. No promises, though.”
 
“No promises needed, Mrs. Racer. I'm just passing out the flyers like I normally do.”
 
The O'Connell matriarch had just turned away when Trixie called out, “Why?”
 
“Why what?” Torie O'Connell looked back at her.
 
“Why are you doing this?” Trixie inquired.
 
“To celebrate the day Sesshomaru and Inuyasha came into our lives,” she replied. “Plus it gives the kids something to do and to look forward to. It's also where we decide to do other activities as well, like planning skiing and sledding trips, caroling, and art workshops. Things like that. Winter can be rather harsh if all you really have to look forward to is Christmas.”
 
“I mean why are you doing this? Giving a flyer to me?”
 
“Oh . . . because it isn't right to exclude someone simply because you disagree with them, Mrs. Racer. Besides, it's the holiday season. A time to forgive.”
 
“That makes sense . . .” she trailed off, feeling rather low.
 
“Yeah . . . I have more of these to deliver . . . Take care.”
 
With that, Torie O'Connell trudged down the walkway back to the sidewalk, blue flyers in hand. To Trixie, it seemed as if the older woman walked with a great weight on her shoulders.
 
`Can't think about that now,' she told herself as she closed the door, flyer in hand.
 
* * *
 
“I'm fine,” came the soft declaration. Ryan sighed. As usual, his wife was being her ornery and stubborn self.
 
`No wonder our children can be so pig-headed,' he thought darkly. `Between the two of us, they've had perfect examples set.'
 
“That may be,” he murmured, wrapping his arms around her waist, “but I've already made the appointment for you and one for me.”
 
“You made the appointment for me already? I don't recall agreeing to that.”
 
“Yes, you did,” he winked.
 
“Oh really?”
 
“Yes,” he nodded. “I believe it was when you said you'd be mine, for better or for worse. In sickness and in health.”
 
“Oi,” Torie sighed and shook her head. He smiled a little then nuzzled her nose.
 
“I know. I'm being a smart ass. I'm sorry if you don't like the fact that I made the appointment but I'm worried about you. You've been a little off lately, have been since before the Racers moved into the area. You're constantly exhausted, you haven't been feeling well, and you're crankier than normal. I just . . . I just want to be sure that you're okay.” Ryan pulled her close. “I don't know what I'd do without you.”
 
“You'd rejoice. That's what you'd do. `Thank the gods, she's gone!'” Torie teased then sighed as well. “Have I really been that difficult lately?”
 
“No so much around the kids, but yeah. You have,” he stated gently. “It's like you're becoming depressed or something.”
 
“So that means I'm not getting out of this, am I?”
 
“Nope. Not at all.”
 
“Fine, fine, I'll go. Especially if you're going to just end up dragging me there anyway.”
 
“You know me,” he chuckled. “Now . . . about the potluck flyers. I was thinking . . .”
 
“They're done,” Torie interrupted, frowning.
 
“What?”
 
“They're done,” she repeated. “I passed them out this morning and this afternoon.”
 
“How can they be done?” he inquired. “I haven't drawn out the initial designs yet.”
 
“Yeah, you did.” Her frown deepened. “They were on the table. I saw them last night, and I chose the one with the calligraphy . . .”
 
“Calligraphy?”
 
“Yeah . . . the one with the calligraphy . . .”
 
“But I don't . . .”
 
They stared at each other for a moment, both stunned at each other's revelations. Then they nodded, smiling a little, and spoke as one.
 
“Inuyasha.”
 
* * *
 
“So are we going to go?”
 
“Go? Go where?” Speed murmured absently. It had been a week and a half since Torie had handed out the flyers and two since the schools had let out for Christmas break. Already, his children were restless, and searching for something to do.
 
“To the potluck, of course!” Greg chirped. “It's tomorrow night, you know. Sesshomaru was telling me all about it on the last day of class.”
 
“Oh? And what was he saying about it?”
 
“Well, he said that his parents have been doing this since they adopted him and Inuyasha fifteen years ago. That it's their way of celebrating the anniversary of the adoptions being finalized.”
That caught Speed's attention. Sesshomaru and Inuyasha had been adopted by Ryan and Torie O'Connell?
 
“Sesshomaru told you that?”
 
“Yeah. I asked him about it after I saw the flyer. He told me that Inuyasha had only been a few weeks old and he close to four when their parents died in a car crash. They had no living family left so they'd been placed in a foster home and up for adoption. The papers went through quickly, thanks to an aunt that works for the agency, and they came to the U.S. a week before Christmas.”
 
“They came to the U.S.?”
 
“Yep. From Tokyo,” Greg nodded.
 
“I see . . .”
 
Speed mulled his newfound information over in his mind. There was a tiny world of possibilities floating around and all of them ended with the fifteen-year-old Inuyasha being deported.
 
`But his parents love him,' a tiny voice whispered, `and they'll fight to keep him. They're the only parents he's ever known. To have him be deported, or even attempt it, would be to rip him from the only family that he has ever known and will ever consider to be his family. And it'll make you the most hated person in the neighbourhood. It would be unwise to use this information. As sure as it's wintertime right now, it will backfire in your face.”
 
`True,' he conceded to himself. `As much as I dislike the kid, I can't tear him from the only family he's ever known. That would be too cruel. I couldn't do it. Not to anyone. But I can go to this banquet and keep an eye on Inuyasha. Make sure he knows that I'm watching him and that I won't stand for any of his deceptions. Plus, it'll give the kids something to do, if only for one night. At least Greg, Catherine, and Taylor will enjoy it. Danielle's another story.'
 
“Sure,” he finally relented. “Go tell your mother that we're going to the potluck tomorrow night.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Really. Now go tell your mother.”
 
“Yes, sir!”
 
Greg dashed off, leaving Speed to chuckle. The things he'd do to keep his kids entertained, if only for one night.
 
* * *
 
“Wow,” Sparky breathed. “This is supposed to be a potluck dinner?”
 
The entire Racer family, along with Sparky and Janine, had just entered the high school gymnasium where Ryan and Torie were hosting their winter party. The room had been decorated with blue and silver streamers and balloons. Tables had been set up everywhere, including four long tables where the food was being placed. And a large crowd had already begun to gather. All six members of the O'Connell household could be seen greeting and chattering with the guests. Trixie smiled as she made her way to the buffet table with her youngest daughter and her mother-in-law.
 
`It isn't Farmington Hills, but it's starting feel a little like home. I hope there are more gatherings like this throughout the winter. What a great way to shake off the blahs.'