Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Courage of the spirit ❯ Truth and Lies ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

So onwards and upwards, this is the last sort of setting the scene chapter before I get cracking on my plot (ignores groans and shouts) hope you enjoy it.

 

Truth and Lies

            She was dreaming again, she knew she was, it was always as if she was watching from a distance.  Zeniba sat at her kitchen table.

"Well that was close I'm exhausted." No face drifted over and placed a cup of tea before her.

"Thank you" she said "it's a good job she kept that band with her, I did tell her it would protect her, just not from what." She shook her head "actually my friend I feel slightly guilty, but things must be kept on track." She took a mouth full of tea, pulled a face and added more honey.

"I'm also surprised I've not had to step in before, the girl must have cut herself to pieces I'm sure." she sighed and no face nodded "he dreams of her you know, he told me last year. He said he saw her crying in the dark. He may not show it but it disturbs him greatly, he'd give anything to bring her back. But I told him even if he could find her, than what. She has no safety here. I was afraid he'd do something rash but now I think I may have gone too far." No face offered her a biscuit and the fire crackled.

"Still we must stick to the plan, as soon as I saw her I knew she was the one, I hate manipulating people but this is for everyone." The dream faded but Chihiro slept on.

 

 

She crawled out of her bed a few hours later. She was tired before the day even began. Also as she stumbled about the room it hit her, HANGOVER! For the rest of the day she wished someone would press the mute button on the world and drain the colour away.

 

Linca met her at lunch time.

"So you screwed up" she shrugged "playing hard to get adds mystery and no one gets dating right the first few times. We all make fools of our selves."

"I'm not playing some game here Linca! I respect Scott too much for that" Chihiro was annoyed and embarrassed.

"So why did you punch him?"

"Don't know" Linca frowned "I really don't" Chihiro protested "I don't even remember doing it."

"Well I'm afraid you're a hopeless cause." Linca smiled "there is nothing I like better than a hopeless cause." She patted her hands "Don't worry, Scott doesn't blame you."

"How do you know?" Chihiro muttered.

"Because he told me this morning."

"What!" exclaimed Chihiro

"Yes, he told me all about it, said he thought he had scared you off, I told him nonsense."

"Linca!" Chihiro almost shouted

"Well what was I supposed to do? You can't avoid seeing him he's a friend of mine." It was then that Chihiro saw him; he came over to the table smiling. The blood drained from her face and she clutched her hands under the table, digging her nails into her palms.

"Scott" said Linca "Sit down, now if you too don't mind nature calls." Linca got up and left.

"Traitor" thought Chihiro there was a long awkward silence finally Scott extended his hand.

"Truce" he said hopefully, she smiled and unclenching her hands took his. "Well then why don't you tell me what's going on, I'm not blind, there's something up."

Oh boy how to start!

"I just…I…" she sighed "I'm a freak" Scott just looked at her.

"I don't date never have, I had some problems… I kind of removed myself from the market."

"O.K." Said Scott

"I know it makes no sense but that's just the way it is. Linca persuaded me to go out with you. I shouldn't have I don't like you that way." 

"There is no way you would… kind of… change your mind, is there? I can wait; give you all the time you need."

"I'm such a horrible person" she thought and took a deep breath

"No that would not be fair." Chihiro shook her head "I think we should just stay friends." Scott nodded.

"If that's what you want" he smiled "well my friend I must go, it's mid-term soon, I suppose you would not like to spend the week with me in Tokyo?" When would he give up?

"Actually I'm going to Kyoto with Linca we are going to spend a week there."

"Oh…oh well have a nice time." He stood "maybe you could do a bit of thinking and re-consider how you feel." He walked away; Chihiro hid her face in her hands.

"Chihiro" Lincas voice.

"Yes" she mumbled behind her hands.

"I take it you did not patch things up with Scott."

"No." Linca swore. Chihiro peeked between her figures. "That offer of vodka still stands right?" Linca smiled

"I thought you would never ask."

 

 

Chihiro picked up the vodka bottle it was empty.

"We…are…defiantly going to regret this." She hiccupped and smiled Linca was sprawled on the floor.

"Come on Chi when was the last time you really let everything slide."

"Can't remember" apparently this was the funniest thing ever said and the girls laughed for much longer than the statement deserved.

"Well when was the last time you behaved re…re…responsibly." Chihiro's tongue felt a bit like lead.

"Can't remember." This was even funnier. After the giggles had subsided Linca stared up at the picture.

"I love that picture" she said "where did you get it?"

"An arts fair back home" mumbled Chihiro

"It's beautiful, why did you bye it?"

"It…it reminded me of a story I once heard." It was not the vodka that made Chihiro stammer.

"Tell me" asked Linca

"Tell you what?" evaded Chihiro.

"The story silly, tell me the story" Chihiro sighed.

"Once there was this girl… let's call her Linca." Linca laughed "and she really did not want to move house." She continued the story in between another bottle of vodka. Linca listened with rapt attention, as the sun rose Chihiro finished.

"Will we see each other again?"

"I'm sure we will" said Haku

"Promise"

"I promise, now go and don't look back." Then Linca let go of his hand and stepped into the human world.

            There was a long silence.

"That's it?" asked Linca.

"That's it" replied Chihiro

"That can't be it, it needs an ending, a conclusion, a finish, a happily ever after."

"Not all stories end that way" Whispered Chihiro.

"Maybe little Linca went back?"

"No" said Chihiro quietly "she didn't."

"Well that's not fair!" cried Linca.

"No it wasn't" Linca sat up.

"Well we need to write a new chapter." Chihiro Laughed "Prince charming must find his princess."

"What are you talking about?" asked Chihiro

"Love, Haku obviously loved Linca and Linca loved him."

"Rubbish" said Chihiro "Linca was ten."

"It does not matter," said Linca. "Love happens at any age to anyone, you can't fight it!"

"At ten!" Chihiro chuckled.

"Not the Love you would think of now but an innocent and pure thing, a connection that would grow with maturity."

"How much have we drunk again?" slurred Chihiro

"Just because I like men does not mean I'm not romantic!" protested Linca.

"Well romantic or not, I need to go to bed" Chihiro stood and wobbled.

"Me too, mind if I share your bed?" asked Linca "I don't think I'll be able to walk to my dorm."

"Sure, just don't snore."

"Me", protested Linca "Never."

            The girls settled down for the night.

"Chi" whispered Linca

"Yes" replied Chihiro.

"That story, the way you tell it, it's not just a story to you is it."

"No" Chihiro whispered. She did not want to lie to Linca but feared telling her the truth.

"Oh" was all Linca said and turned over to sleep.

Chihiro was awake for some time after. She listened to Linca sleep.

"I miss you" she whispered into the dark.