Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Spirited Within ❯ Nature's Advice ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

`Great. Now that Yubaba has commanded me to leave so early, I don't have a chance at telling Chihiro I'm sorry. She didn't deserve that treatment from me.'
Haku sat, once again, on his old, wood-rotten balcony with his feet dangled from his perch. Arms settled on the lowest railing of the red wood, his chin rested on his forearms just below his elbow. His wind swirled around him; trying to rid him of his current upset state. He had stayed in this position ever since he'd come back from Peak Tower. Ever since he had learned of his new mission.
The sun rose steadily as the impenetrable morning fog started to lift from around the bathhouse. The sunshine could hardly be seen from his side of the building, but Haku still felt its presence anyways. It was the sweet smell of a new day. A slight rosy hue began to peek its way along the ground.
Haku found himself at a loss as he thought about his mission. He'd never have time to talk to Chihiro. She needed her rest too. Most likely, she was fast asleep in her futon beside Rin; dreaming of her home.
`Hey, could you do me a favor?' he asked his wind, who was currently playing with his toes. It lifted its streams to reach his face as it brushed his ears lightly.
`Do you think you could go and check on Chihiro for me? Tell me if she is asleep or not?' This wind paused for a second contemplating, and then Haku felt the gentle breeze whirl around his neck and lift his hair. It immediately turned and sped off in the direction of the woman's quarters.
Looking down at the comforting landscape, Haku noticed the stone path that followed around the entire bathhouse. He had led her down that path once they had escaped the bridge. He could still feel her small fingers against his hand as he remembered pulling her along. Haku flexed his hand, trying to recreate the sensation touching her had felt. Just remembering the contact of her hand in his made shivers run up and down him. He remembered he had put an arm around her when he had first met her. She had been trembling with fright. He had just wanted to take care of her. Like he needed to right now.
He wished he could hold her hand again.
That he could put his arm around her and protect her from anything.
He needed to see her again. He needed to talk to her before his mission.
What if he never came back?
Haku realized he needed some advice or at least a plan as to what to do for her. He released his mind and self upon the green below him and felt his mind connect with everything living in the garden.
In this state of mind, he let out his story to the surrounding plants who were obviously eagar for gossip.
`So, you see.' He said, as he finished his tale. 'I need her to trust me again. I can't stand it. I want her to be my friend, but I can't if she thinks I hate her.'
`You care for this girl?' a deep mighty voice asked. Haku noticed the dark weeping willow that was left of the stone path, move slightly under the morning air.
`I…' Haku stuttered and thought for a moment. He had disobeyed Yubaba, put his job on the line, suffered a tremendous amount of pain and torture, exhausted himself, used magic against opening time, snuck Chihiro in the bathhouse at the risk of everything, and had his own emotions both painfully overload his brain and strike his entire body and conscious with guilt.
He had worried over her, fussed after her, scolded her, chastised her…
`More than anything.' Haku answered and the huge, prodigious plant chuckled.
But before it could say anything else,the flowers that lay planted along the back fence peeped in with their tiny, shrill tone.
`Give her a present. Tell her how you feel. Then once you've told her, she will most likely let you give her a huge kiss on the…'
`What? No! I…' Haku eyes widened with shock as he felt his face flush with embarrassment. Kiss her? What are they saying! I can't do that!
The wild flora giggled at his reaction and the mighty willow once again took over the conversation.
`Not all of their advice should be discarded, young dragon. I believe their input of telling her how you feel is a excellent idea. Show the girl you are willing to take care of her. Listen to her. Gain back her trust by showing that you care. Once she sees the real you within, she will understand your feelings. Also, this present idea isn't so bad.'
`A present? Are you serious?' Haku asked, his face still red. `What in the world would I give her? I have nothing!'
`When was the last time she ate something?' injected a smooth english vine that had curled itself around a white painted bench. `Give her some food. She will appreciate that more than any other thing you could ever bring her. In my opinion, that action alone portrays that you are worried about her well-being. And about the forgiveness you seek? In my mind, if she is as gentle and sweet as you say, she has already forgiven you. You just need to talk to her. And I also agree that you listen to her. Let her talk to you. And you could share a few things about yourself too. You're like a mystery to her. Show her who you are.'
Haku nodded, slowly processing what it had said.
Show her who I am...
`I'll show her...that I want to help and I'll be there for her.' Haku smiled brightly.
`You could still kiss her too!' demanded the small flowers once again.
Haku's rolled his eyes and clicked his tongue. Flowers are always so hopelessly romantic.
`Then you could take her to her parents. You promised after all.' said the willow once more.
`I did promise! That would be a great idea! But…' Haku faltered, not wanted to admit what was on his mind.
`But what?' they all simultaneously asked together.
`What if… she cries?… I'm not very good at taking care of crying. Actually I think I make it worse sometimes…' Haku cringed as he said this. Though he hated to admit it, it was true.
`Comfort her.' slipped in the silky vine. `All you have to do is stay by her side. There really is nothing to it. I have had many young women come to this bench in tears, and I have been able to take care of them. It isn't anything to worry over. The fact that you are scared of women crying is the reason you make it worse. Just stay calm and it won't escalade into a big deal. And once again, show her that you care.'
Suddenly, Haku felt a sharp tap on his head and smelled the familiar scent of his wind. It had returned and was impatient to talk. Quickly, he withdrew his thoughts from the earth below him.
`Did you find anything?' he asked it once he had resurfaced.
It swirled excitedly and pulled at hands as though trying to make him stand.
`I guess she's awake then?' he asked it excitedly. It whistled impetuously and with annoyance, pulling at his arm even more.
`Ok. Ok. I'm going! I have to run and grab a few things before I see her though.' he explained to it. The whistling became more irritated.
Hurriedly, Haku got up from his sitting position and jumped off his balcony. He switched immediately into dragon form and flew north to the kitchens. The wind whipped through his body as he hastily traveled past the left side of the bathhouse. Balconies everywhere jutted out of the red building. Haku faintly heard cheering from the plants as he was about to round the corner.
He smiled.
When he arrived to the north wall of the bathhouse, he transformed in mid-air back into human form and landed professionally on his feet. Glancing at the building, he searched for the berry patch that hid the secret passageway to the kitchens. Finally, he found the berries hidden behind a great oak tree and tiptoed through as to not squash any. He bend low over the red plaster wall and ran his hands along the side of the building. Feeling his hands catch on a hidden handle, he pulled hard on it. A small opening popped unlocked to his right and Haku slipped himself through.
The kitchen was always stuffy, even if the cooks weren't there. It had an everlasting smell of grease and burnt meat. It was a huge room due to the amount of food it took to run this place. Piles and piles of dirty bowls and frying pans lay scattered around the place. The right wall held about 10 ovens or so lined side by side. Small chopping tables covered in the residue of last nights cooking frenzy filled most of the middle section of the kitchen. Haku looked around himself for something she would like. He walked through the middle of the dirty tables and inspected each one. Most of them held just crumbs and little bits of pork.
He was very sure she wouldn't appreciate pork.
Finally, Haku reached the back wall and spotted something useful. There was a plate of three hot, moist rice cakes.
Obviously someone had wanted a morning snack.
Snatching the cakes, Haku wrapped them in a nearby paper and tied it closed with black string. Placing it in his breast pocket, he brushed past the door that led through to the main hall of the bathhouse.
Passing the trash room located on the left of the kitchen, Haku suddenly smelled Chihiro's scent. The trash room was where everything was taken after a nights work. It would disappear throughout the daylight when everyone was asleep and it would be empty again at opening time this afternoon. It was a foreign spell that Yubaba had learned on her many travels, and Haku had to admit. It was pretty useful.
He stopped in mid stride and backpedaled into the room. The trash room was about half the size of the kitchen and smelled just as bad. Piles upon piles of litter were heaped in large hills throughout the room. Haku entered the room and followed the trail of her smell. He climbed over a rubbish heap and spotted it.
Her clothes.
Reaching them, he picked them up in his hand. She would need these if she wanted to get back to her world.
He did a quick cleansing spell to kill germs and get rid of any dirt. Gently, he tucked them in with the rice cakes.
He left the smelly room and continued on his way to the women's quarters. They were located far south of the bathhouse, closer to where Yubaba's tower was. He knew that most of the women would be asleep and not notice him, but he still felt nervous inside. And what if Chihiro had fallen asleep through all his errands? He hoped not.
Quickly moving in the empty bathhouse, Haku ran through the vacant tubs that laid sprawled throughout the building. Glancing outside as he passed a window, he noticed full morning had come.
He had to do this. Now.
When he arrived at the female's private quarters, he nervously rubbed his arms. He hoped his plan would work. He hoped she would come.
Holding his breath, he slid open the door silently.
Different colored blankets covered mounds of bodies that lay in slumber from the hard nights work. All of the female workers were crammed together on the floor as they laid in rows. A soft light could be seen through the cracks of the wood. A big red curtain, which blocked out the sun coming in from the balcony, hung on the far right side of the room. Breathing in deep, Haku smelled Chihiro's scent again. It was fainter than last night. Already her natural human smell was leaving her.
Chihiro…
She was the very last one on the row closest to him. He could see her hair-tail poking out of the blankets. He cautiously stepped through the mounds of coverlets, praying he wouldn't trod on a leg or arm.
Slowly, he approached her covered form.
Her back was to him, but he knew she was awake. The huge flowery printed blanket betrayed her trembling body as it shuttered along with her.
Haku closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. Gradually, he lowered his hand onto her covered shoulder and whispered, “Meet me at the bridge. I'll take you to your parents.”
When she didn't move or speak, Haku decided to leave. He knew she had heard him. It was now only a matter of her coming. If she didn't come then she didn't want his friendship. If she did, then the old vine was right and she had already forgiven him.
Haku shut the door softly after he survived tiptoeing back through the slumbering women again. Taking every short cut possible, Haku arrived outside the bathhouse on the south side gardens. His wind rejoined him and together, they soared past the flowers and shrubs to the hidden door that led to the bridge. Just a few hours ago, he had flown Chihiro through this very door after they had been discovered on the bridge. Everything around him reminded him of her. The thorn bushes, the berry plants, the wind. It was as though Chihiro was the very essence of nature. He turned and faced the bridge that had once separated him from everyone else. Slowly, he walked across it, remembering how he had coiled himself on one leg of the bridge in order to keep his spell going for Chihiro.
She still didn`t make it though. He smiled as he shook his head. She truly was one of a kind.
He decided to wait on the bridge, but then thought against that because it would seem too desperate. Then he thought about waiting on the path past the bridge, but then it would be like he was impatient for her to come. Turning around, he wondered about standing near the hidden door where she would arrive out of.
If waiting on the bridge had seemed to desperate, then waiting by the hidden door was certainly out of the question.
Finally, he decided on just appearing once she crossed the bridge. That would seem kind of cool. She'd come and he's just be there. Waiting for her.
Sprinting across the bridge, he cloaked himself just in time to see the door open on the other side. A small hand peaked out of the doorway.
`Here she comes!' Haku smiled in triumph. His wind rustled the bushes with excitement.
Chihiro stuck her head out and looked around, most likely for him. As she stepped out of the doorway, Haku took in the sight of her. She was wearing the servants wardrobe. He hadn't expected it. She looked so different with the pink suit on. But then he remembered he had her clothes, so obviously she needed something to wear. Her hair was a bit messy and her eyes looked very tired and worn. Her face betrayed her curiosity as she gazed around her.
She took a few steps toward the bridge and stopped suddenly to look at the bridge with a nervous face. Haku wondered what was up with her. He saw her breathe in deep and run across to the other side almost to where he was hidden. She stopped after she had ran and turned her head to look back at the red bathhouse. Behind her, Haku uncloaked himself and walked closer to her back. She gasped as she heard his footsteps and connected her eyes with his. He let himself get lost for a second in those bright orbs as he felt the warmth come back in full force. It seemed to resonate with every heartbeat he had.
“Follow me.” he said gently and tore his eyes away from her. He turned and led the way down the path. She followed a few steps behind.
They walked in silence for awhile. She followed him as he brushed past the blooming shrubs that lined the pathway to the pig pen. Colorful flowers cooed at them as he walked. Haku knew he had to say something… But what?
“We don't have much time.” he blurted out. “If your found here, you'll be turned into a pig yourself.”
Haku wanted to smack himself in the forehead. `Idiot! You could have said anything to her! Anything! But instead you go and scare her some more. Good job, Haku!'
The flowers giggled at him and he shot them a glare.
He felt the silence press once again between them as they continued down the flower lined path. Suddenly, the greens parted and gave way to a hill below. There, just below, sat the red roofed pig pens. Abruptly, Haku remembered Yubaba passing a rule a few years back. It was all about employees going to the pig pin to see their loved ones. No one could enter now without the assistance of higher personnel. If you were found, then youwould join the pigs as one of their number.
Proceeding down the hill, Haku said, “You must never come here without me, understand?” He hoped his voice wasn't too hard when he said that. He just needed her to know she couldn't ever go to them alone. He waited to hear her voice. Her footsteps had stopped at the top of the hill.
Then suddenly he heard her soft voice answer, “I understand.”
The sound of her soft tone made shivers run through him. Why was it she affected him so? Why did he care for her so much? The warmth filled his heart and stomach with a soft glow.
Reaching the bottom, Haku still led the way to the open doors of the pig pen. The smell was overwhelming even outside the building. The pig pen had dividers between each pair of pigs, which filled up the entire long building. Haku smelled a human smell, much like Chihiro's coming from a pair of pigs in front of the door. He stood by the opening and turned around to see her standing in the morning sun. She entered slowly and her eyes immediately locked on the two that were her parents. Their huge bodies laid spread out on the floor as they slept deeply behind their pen. Her mouth hung open slightly in horror and misery. She turned her distressing eyes on him as though confirming their identity. Haku nodded and she turned and ran forcefully to them. Her eyes became wide and hard.
Holding onto the railing that kept her parents trapped, she cried to them.
“Mom, dad, are you alright? It's me, Sen!”
She had called herself Sen.
She had forgotten her name.
Haku felt grief rise in his chest. She had such a lovely name.
Chihiro.
He wondered how he could get her to remember it.
She straightened her body with more determination. She called out to them louder.
“Hey! Wake up!”
They didn't even stir. Pigs in the back of the building squealed with annoyance at being woken.
“Mom! Dad!” she screamed. One of their ears flopped slightly, but no more reaction took place.
Haku walked closer to her at the pen and she turned her shining eyes on him.
“What's wrong with them? Are they sick?” Her worried face filled his mind. Her piercing eyes locked onto his and Haku felt pity for her wash over him. She was so lost. So… alone…
“No. They ate too much. They're just sleeping it off.” He said reassuringly. She looked back at them as he continued gently. “They don't remember being human, so look hard. It's up to you to remember which ones they are.”
Slowly, her eyes filled with unshed tears. Her face crinkled from the strain of everything she had encountered. Haku wondered what to do to help her. But suddenly, her voice exploded.
“Don't you worry! I promise I'll get you out of here, so just don't get any fatter or they'll eat you!”
And with that said, she turned and ran through the open door.
Haku didn't know what to say. He was shocked as he watched her run.
She needed him. She needed him to help her. Just like he needed to protect her.
Searching the surrounding gardens, he soon spotted her crouched beside a rather sympathetic shrub that laid along the path adjacent to the one they'd just taken. She hid her head in her pink pants as her feet braced on the soft grass.
Haku came and stood beside her. `I have to help her. She's so sad…' His heart went out to her as he looked at her lost, defensive position.
Reaching into his breast pocket, he produced the now clean clothes she had lost.
“Here are your clothes.” She looked up immediately. “Hide them.”
She hugged them to her tightly and whispered in her sweet tones, “I thought they had been thrown away.”
“You'll need them to get home.” Haku said gently and then wished he hadn't. He didn't want to remind her of her human world. It might upset her more.
Hoping with all his might she wouldn't start crying, Haku bend his legs to crouch beside her. He was suddenly reminded of last night when he had first found her. She didn't trust him at all. She had thought he was there to hurt her. It had taken shoving a berry down her throat to make her see his true feelings.
Oh! The food!
Reaching into his pocket once more, he brought out the packaged rice cakes he'd found. He turned to see her digging in her shorts pocket for something. Studying her retracting hand, he saw it was a card. Her eyes flashed onto his once again and he felt a jolt in his stomach.
“My goodbye card's still here.”
Her what? She was leaving somewhere?
She turned back to read it. “Chihiro.” she muttered her name slowly and carefully. Her eyes suddenly widened with recognition.
“Chihiro.” she said stronger. “That's my name, isn't it?”
Haku nodded his head as she flashed her eyes at him again for confirmation.
“That's how Yubaba controls you. By stealing your name. So hold onto that card. Keep it hidden. And while you're here you must call yourself Sen.”
She nodded her head slightly to show she understood.
“I can't believe I forgot my name.” she whispered. “She almost took it from me.”
Haku couldn't help the smile that forced it's way out. She remembers herself. Yubaba doesn't have complete control over her.
His smile faltered a bit as he thought about his own situation. He was still trapped by Yubaba. No matter what, with or without Chihiro, Haku would continue to be a slave at the bathhouse.
Chihiro looked at him curiously and as Haku met her gaze, he felt the urge to tell her his troubles. The vine had after all recommended it.
“If you completely forget it then you'll never find your way home.” Haku couldn't stop the sadness that crept in his voice. He looked away from her to hide his eyes. “I've tried everything to remember mine.”
“You can't remember your name?” Her sympathizing sound resonated in him. His heart glowed with the warmth. A unusual smile appeared on his typically stony face. His eyes turned onto her lovely face as the wonderful feeling glowing inside of him became apparent to her from them. The wind slowly swirled around them both creating a feeling of complete seclusion from the world. Haku felt his heart beat faster as he gazed deeply into her bottomless drowning orbs. Written in her eyes as well, was the very same warmth he felt pumping through his chest. She felt it too. Unfamiliar, yet welcomed feelings coursed through him.
Suddenly, the wind stopped and the mood was broken faster than a blink.
Recalling her question, Haku answered tenderly, “No, but for some reason I remember yours.”
Haku beamed inside as he unwrapped the rice, he handed it out to her. “Here you go.” he offered gently. “Eat this. You must be hungry.”
Chihiro's face immediately turned tired and worn once again. She looked at his face, then at the food in his hand. Something in her body language told him that she really did wanted the cake, but was going to be stubborn about it.
“No.” she said refused softly and tore her eyes away from his.
Haku was by no means discouraged. In fact, an idea had popped almost instantaneously into his mind.
“I put a spell on it.” he fibbed. “So it will give you back your strength.” Her stubborn expression released a fraction when he said this.
Comprehending he had said the right thing, Haku decided to press in some more.
“Just eat it.”
Very hesitantly, she took the cake and slowly took a small bite.
She held it back as she realized her true hunger. Suddenly, Chihiro started to devour the rice. Her eyes opened wide as they glistened with unshed tears. Like drops of rain, the tears started to trail down her eyes as she finished the little cake. Bending her head, Chihiro began to weep into her small hands.
Haku knew he should have been nervous, but he wasn't. He understood she need this. She needed to cry. And he would comfort her. He would take care of her.
Tentatively, Haku placed his free arm around her shaking shoulders and held her in soothing reassurance.
“Have some more.” he told her as he held the rice out closer to her. “You'll be alright.”
Chihiro lifted her tear stained eyes and grabbed the other two cakes. Half sobbing, half hiccupping, she proceeded to stuff her hungry mouth full.
Once she had finished her meal, Haku slid his arm from around her shoulders and stood. He walked a little to the path and then turned back to face her. She wiped her eyes with her pink sleeve and looked up at him with curiosity.
Haku knew this was the perfect time to apologize. To tell her why he had treated her the way he did after Yubaba`s office. To explain why he had saved her in the beginning. To confess why he constantly worried over her. To come clean about this warmth pulsating through his body. To rid himself of the foreign feelings kept so deep within him.
Through the back of his mind, he heard the voices of nature urging him. Pressuring him to tell her.
To just say it.
…Yet… he couldn't do it… He couldn't say… This was too hard
“Chihiro, I…” he stuttered.
“What is it, Haku?” her question injected into his brain as she gave him her innocent stare.
Haku swallowed and looked away from her piercing intent look.
`Say something!' his brain yelled. `Anything!'
“I'm glad you got a job safely.” he blurted without thought and immediately felt embarrassment. Her eyes clouded for a second with something Haku couldn't read and then with a tone full of gratification, she replied, “I couldn't have done it at all without your help, Haku.”
Suddenly, a little bird chirped loudly to him and Haku was instantly reminded of the time.
Mid-morning. He'd have to leave her now.
“Come on.” he said softly to her. “We better get going.”
Sighing a bit to himself, he walked forward to gather the paper and string that had held the rice cakes. Chihiro stood and stretched her back.
Together, they walked side by side following a different path this time. Letting her go first, she opened the gate that would lead them back to the path.
“I've got to go now.” he said as she stepped onto the gravely road. “But I'll be back to help you soon.” She smiled as she turned to face him. Her smile almost made him grin as well.
“Just… stay out of trouble.” he said jokingly and caught her sparkling eyes with his.
“Thank you, Haku. You're a good friend.”
Haku felt his breath catch as she said this.
Friend… He was a good friend to her.
Many unknown feelings stirred inside him as he watched her run to the bridge. Her hair-tail swayed back and forth as she ran. Arms up to her chest, she swiftly crossed the bridge. Her legs moved her farther and farther away from him. Farther from him and closer to the danger of the bathhouse.
`Please be safe, my dear friend.' Haku whispered to her.
Turning around quickly, Haku shifted into his dragon form. With thoughts full of Chihiro, he climbed into the air heading to Zeniba's swamp.