Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Spirited Within ❯ Freedom for his Savior ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]

He was so warm. Everything around him was so quiet… so peaceful. He had no clue what time it was or where he could be at this moment. Frankly, he didn't really care.
He felt no pain. Everything was blissfully calm. He heard nothing…. saw nothing…
Only silence… beautiful silence…
`Haku...'
A quiet whisper interrupted his blackness like a pebble dropped in still waters. It vibrated in his head, as the ripples spread along to reach the edges of his tired brain. Someone was calling his name. Who was it? An angel?
`Haku...'
The sweet whispering cherub spoke his name again and throughout his unbending quiet, it sang harmoniously in his heart. Slowly, he registered that the voice faded faster than last time, as though it was backing away. Was it leading him somewhere?
`Haku...'
Groaning slightly, Haku listened to the faint acoustics it had created and decided to follow. As the tranquil smooth voice withered away out of his tired subconscious, he tried to pursue the spot were it had left off; swimming in the darkness of his mind. He hoped it would call to him again; lead him onward to wherever it wanted.
`Haku…'
Trusting the mysterious voice with all his heart, Haku swam faster against the offending dark---
Slowly, Haku became aware that he was lying on something kind of lumpy and hard. His lower back was getting a cramp. He shifted his back to relieve the hurtful pressure. No good. It still dug into him.
As he tried to gather his thoughts, he heard a slight grunting from something above him. `What is that?' he wondered deliriously and his curiosity forced him to crack a heavy eyelid open.
Heavy wooden drawers that lined all the way up to the ceiling swam into view. Opening his eyes wider in confusion, he turned his head left and right to study his alien surroundings and gather his broken thoughts. Empty holes lined the bottom panel on the right. On the other side, the wooden servant's door was bedecked in shadow because of the lack of lighting. Lifting his head, he noticed that the lumpy thing that he was laying on apparently was a purple futon. He had been resting on the hard wooden floor of the boiler room. A pale scratchy blanket was snuggled up to his torso and he kicked it off. Trying to clear his wavering vision, Haku pushed himself slowly with his arms and sat waiting for the pain to attack his insides.
It didn't.
Sitting fully with his legs outstretched on the purple futon, his green eyes widened in shock. There were no scratches or bruises. He was completely healed. And he felt different too. Stronger somehow…
`I'm… okay?' Haku thought confused, `How can this be? The seal was tearing the inside of me apart. I got all scratched up from Zeniba's paper dolls. I ran, head first, into countless walls. How am I not dead?'
“Come on, Haku. Open your mouth.”
Gasping, Haku suddenly knew the voice that had led him out of his dark mind.
It had been Chihiro.
But… where was she? Was she safe? Turning his head swiftly around to survey the entire room again, he saw there was only one other person with him.
Kamaji, the boiler man, was sitting right behind him snoring heavily as he leaned against his wooden perch. He looked exhausted with one pair of arms folded and the others collapsed by his side. A bucket and a washcloth rested on the floor to his right and a teapot with a cup to the left. His beard shifted with his deep breaths as he slumbered on.
Haku crawled off his futon and crouched in front of the old man. With a newly healed hand, he reached up and shook Kamaji's shoulder gently.
“Kamaji, wake up.”
Groaning under his breath, the bleary old man lifted his head from its position on his chest and his tired eyes reached the person who had disturbed him.
Even through dark sunglasses, Haku could instantly tell Kamaji was stunned to see him.
“Haku…” The old man whispered in awe. “You're alright!”
“I'm fine.” The green eyed boy answered quickly. Aware that Kamaji didn't know Chihiro's real name he asked desperately, “Where is Sen? Did she go somewhere? Can you tell me what's going on?”
“You blacked out, remember?” Kamaji's croaky voice danced along the silent wooden walls.
Haku thought for a second before replying. “Yeah, I remember being in darkness.” He answered finally. Looking down at the ground, Haku tried to recall his moments in the blackness that had surrounded him. There had been something else there too… that voice…. Chihiro's voice…
`Haku...'
She had pulled him back.
“Then I could hear Sen's voice calling out my name. So I followed her voice and the next thing I knew,” Haku looked back up to the old man's face. “I was lying here feeling better than ever.”
Gazing straight into Kamaji's shaded eyes; Haku was startled at what he found…
Tears
“Pure love,” Kamaji's gravely voice broke slightly on the words. “That's what broke Zeniba's spell.”
Lo…Love?
Haku couldn't straighten his thoughts. Pure love… pure… did that mean Chihiro loved him back? That she loves him as much as he loves her? He knew it though. Her eyes had shown him. Her eyes had shown him everything that day he took her to her parents. They had radiated with the same glow Haku had felt inside of him. The warmth… the glow… it was love…
And his vision… his vision had told him too. His subconscious had known even before he himself could figure it out. Was he really that blind to his feelings? Was it because he hid them so much within himself that he couldn't even figure out his own heart?
Kamaji's gnarly voice broke through Haku's thoughts. “Sen left to return the golden seal. She did it to save you.”
“Save me?” Haku leaped to his feet in alarm. “She's putting herself in danger to save me from Zeniba? She can't go! It's too dangerous!”
“It's too late, Haku. She would have arrived at Swamp Bottom by now.” Kamaji said softly, gazing down at his numerous arms as they fidgeted nervously. “I tried to stop her, but she insisted on going. She said it was because you had helped her so much and she wanted to help you in return.”
“It was Sen that healed me too, wasn't it?” Haku whispered in a low voice. The old man looked up into his green eyes and nodded his head slightly.
“She had a round ball of medicine she had gotten from a river spirit somehow. It helped you to spit up the seal.” Kamaji crossed his arms and leaned back against his wooden perch, thinking hard. “You changed out of your dragon form and then we put you in my futon. She is your guardian angel, Haku. It doesn't shock me at all that you should have great feelings for such a wonderful girl.”
Haku lifted the corners of his mouth slightly, his face going hot. “But…” Haku said suddenly remembering. “Something's different, Kamaji. I feel different.” And indeed he did. It was as though a weight had been lifted off his chest.
“I forgot!” the old man cried lifting one arm to snap his fingers. “Along with the seal, a brown slug came out of you too. She squashed it with her foot and risked bad luck.” Kamaji chuckled out of his bushy grey beard. “She really is something…”
“A brown slug, huh?” Haku said absentmindedly, thinking hard about this new information. Could it mean that Yubaba's controlling spell was gone? Could it mean that the slug was the one that had caused him such pain the day he protected Chihiro's location in the bathhouse? Does that mean that Yubaba had no control over him now?
`There is only one say to find out.' Haku told himself firmly. `I will risk my life for her as she is currently doing for me.'
“Kamaji, I thank you for your steadfast kindness to me and Sen.” Haku smiled warmly down to the old man as he said this. Kamaji gazed stunned back up at the young green eyed youth. `This is the first time I've ever seen him smile.' He thought awed. `That girl was the best thing to ever happen to him.'
Haku continued without a pause. “I must leave now because I have some unfinished business to take care of with Yubaba.” Turning around, Haku began to walk to the servant's door that would lead him to the staircase.
“Yubaba? What do you plan to do?” Kamaji asked worriedly.
Haku turned his head back to gaze at the anxious old man. “To win Chihiro her freedom.”

Haku strolled purposefully through the disgustingly bright red hallways of Yubaba's quarters. He had already checked her office and Boh's room and she hadn't been in any of them. Turning to the right on the next available chance, Haku kept on his quick searching pace. The end of the hall branched to another fork, which he turned to the right again. An open door with light spilling out lay to his immediate right hand side. Slowing his walking speed as he approached, Haku heard Yubaba's voice issuing out into the hallway. He knew where he was. This was Yubaba's personal kitchen.
The green eyed boy stopped in the doorway and looked in just as Yubaba shouted out in her loud scratchy voice: “So what? This whole mess is her fault! And now she's run away from here!”
Haku took in the entire room with his sharp eyes. The room was very big. Decorated black tile spread the floor and dishes upon dishes were stacked in neat orderly piles on shelves around the room. A huge chamber pot was perched close to the door Haku was standing in. A fire place lay on the opposite side of the wall and the fire within it cracked merrily; bathing the room in a rough bright light. The foreman, the foreman's assistant, and the little frog that had jumped at Haku the first night Chihiro had come were all kneeling before a robed Yubaba. She was glowering at the three figures, her eyes frighteningly wide with rage. A table with a red tablecloth spread over it lay separating Yubaba from the three. On top was a startling amount of gold laid carefully stacked in a box. Beneath the box was a white doily to give it proper decoration.
Boh, Yubaba's huge spoiled baby, was surrounded by presents and chocolate boxes that filled up most of the right corner of the room. But as Haku studied closer at the bumbling young toddler, Haku saw the faint shimmer of… an illusion spell?
Boh was an illusion?
Unzipping the spell with his eyes, Haku almost laughed. The three annoying heads were stacked together one on top of the other stuck in the charm. They wouldn't be able to get out unless someone disillusioned the spell. That meant that Yubaba's baby was missing, and was most likely, with Chihiro. He wondered briefly what Yubaba would say if she knew that the horrible Sen had her precious baby.
Turning back to Yubaba, Haku's eye caught the illusion shimmer again. Gasping slightly, Haku realized it was stationed around the gold, right in front of her eyes! The illusion spell had been one of the first of many spells Yubaba had taught him. She had trained him to see the shimmer around magically hidden or changed things. If she had taught him then why couldn't she see it now?
Haku wondered if maybe Yubaba was loosing her eye sight.
“She's even abandoned her own parents.” Yubaba raging speech continued. “Those pigs must be ready to eat by now.” All three kneeling figures loudly protested as she bellowed irritably, “Turn them into bacon!”
Growling in the back of his throat, Haku glared at Yubaba with his piercing green eyes. `This has gone far enough.'
“Wait a minute.” Haku called fiercely from the doorway as he stepped into the cold tile floor towards Yubaba. He held his head high as he met Yubaba's stare with his own intense gaze.
“Huh?” The foreman said confused as he turned around to face him.
“Master Haku?” The little frog piped in.
They all three stood to give him room as he continued his way to Yubaba's table. Raking his green eyes quickly to her huge “baby”, Haku felt his confidence rise. He brought his sharp gaze back to Yubaba's wrinkled face and felt no fear.
“You're still alive?” Her rusty, creaking voice had surprise in it. “What is it you want?”
“You still haven't noticed that something precious to you has been replaced.” Haku said ignoring her question and giving her his puncturing stare.
“Don't get fresh with me, young man. Since when do you talk that way to your master?” Her eyes crinkled with a malevolent wickedness as she silently tried to invoke Haku's controlling spell to teach him a lesson.
Her eyes widened in confusion when nothing happened. Her spell was gone!
`You can't control me anymore, Yubaba.' Haku told her with his thoughts. His eyes gleamed with triumph.
`That may be, but I don't need you anymore. I'll just crush you without your controlling spell. Besides, I've got all the gold I'll ever need.' She sent back smiling.
`Do you?' Haku asked her lightly and a slight smirk appeared on his lips.
She smiled evilly back, but slowly doubt began filling her mind. Picking up a grain of the gold, she studied it with her fingers pinched around it. Again the illusion tricked her because she replied after her scrutinizing, `you stupid dragon. You know nothing.' Her face twisted itself into her famous malicious grin.
Haku narrowed his eyes, waiting.
A loud clanking interrupted the staring contest as the heads shook the can of candy empty and threw it aside. The noise caught Yubaba's attention and she turned her head to look at her beloved child. Haku could see the glitter of the illusion charm around Boh even brighter now that he was closer.
Yubaba leaned her face towards Boh, studying him hard. Haku almost smiled as she raised her hand and cast a disillusionment charm.
Slowly, the illusion faded and the heads could be seen by everyone, perched one on top of the other. Once free from their confinement, they bounced wildly around the candies and other assorted treats. With wisdom Haku didn't know they had, they jumped and rolled out of the room as Yubaba gasped in shock at this new development.
“My… baby…” her voice was faint and beyond belief. Her hands flew up to hold her bony face as her eyes widened with an indescribable horror.
Meanwhile, the disillusionment charm she had cast released itself on the dazzling box of gold, and in front of everyone, the box was stained brown with dirt.
“No!” Yubaba shrieked and smacked the box with a glittering ring covered hand into the foreman's face. It sprayed soil everywhere.
With that done, Yubaba raced out the open door the heads had gone out. Her shrill scream of, “MY BABY!” could be heard echoing throughout the hallways.
“It's just dirt…” the little frog cried out in amazement as the foreman and his assistant brushed the grimy earth off their clothes.
Haku followed Yubaba's frantic footsteps out the door. He could feel the other three watching his back as he went. Taking a deep breath, he steadied himself for what he had to do next.
Trailing behind Yubaba, Haku walked slowly through the hallways once again. He knew exactly where to find Yubaba: Boh's baby room.
And there the old witch was, her robed form danced around the room in her panic as she searched through the multi colored cushions scattered about the place. The room itself was brightly lit with a sickly green squashy floor and light blue painted walls. A crib covered with a pink curtain slightly ajar rested to the right. Everywhere toys and unopened gift packages littered the floor. A small dusty bookshelf stood in the corner along with an unused writing desk.
“Come out! Please come out!”
Haku walked calmly through the open door and breathed deeply to focus his thoughts. `I must stand firm.' Haku thought determined. `I will save Chihiro from her life here.'
Yubaba, not noticing Haku's entry, raced to the huge red curtain that divided her office room from Boh's. Quickly she stuck her head through and called out in her desperate croaky voice, “Sweetie! Sweetie pie!”
She closed the curtains and cast her wild, insane eyes on Haku. `Be strong.' He muttered to himself as the wrinkles in her face grew in number. Opening her mouth, magic fire began to blaze forth from her curled lips as she roared, “YOOOOOU!” The fire lighted her demonic face licking her nose and chin.
A burst of power yanked the towel off her head and lifted her white hair to stand on end. The inferno coming forth from her mouth erupted as she glared murderously him.
Watching her with his eyes masking his fear, Haku stood where he was. `Chihiro needs this.' He told himself. `I have to set her free. Be strong, Haku. Be strong.'
Raising her arms to expose her long red-painted fingernails, the old witch rushed at Haku with a passion-filled bellow, “WHERE IS HE?” Her magnified voice echoed throughout the entire room as she stopped right in front of him, growling ferociously. Haku stood his ground as her huge wild eyes pressed against his face. The fire spread with her howling rage and encircled Haku; engulfing everything around him except for the wild witch. His heart sped with sheltered fright as the tangled white hairs on her head twisted themselves tightly around his body.
Around his neck.
“WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY BABY?” She screeched her eyes demonically insane.
Controlling his voice from shaking, Haku answered her as best he could with her hair threatening to choke him. “He's with your sister.”
“Zeniba…” Yubaba's fury quailed instantly, obviously trying to resister this shocking new predicament. The fire vanished immediately and was replaced with black smoke that curled around her huge nose. The hairs began to unwind themselves from his body as she slid her astonished face away from his. As his heart beats returned to normal, she slowly turned and magically pulled a chair to face her. It lowered itself to fit her small legs. Her wild hair stuck up around her face and shoulders as she plopped herself in the squeaky red seat.
“Very clever, Haku.” She said, with only a little smoke coming out. “I get it. You'll get my baby back for me, but at a price.” Her eyes had recovered their lost sneer and her wicked smile returned with full force as she chuckled at her new situation.
“So, what do you want?” she demanded.
This was it. Haku took in a breath and replied, “Tear up Sen's contract, and then I want you to return Sen and her mother and father back to the human world.” For the first time in his life, Haku felt himself gain one up on Yubaba.
“Fine, but on one condition!” Yubaba growled. “I get to give Sen one final test.” Haku felt the balance of power shift back towards Yubaba.
“If she fails, she's mine!”