Spyro Fan Fiction ❯ A Turbulent Life ❯ The Imperfect Storm ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Recap: Spyro and friends hoped to have a peaceful time after a battle with an enemy Spyro feared the most.  But the peace was short-lived as another familiar enemy made herself known.  Ineptune, who was now working with Misteria, had revealed a nasty surprise.  She was given the ability to control water and used it in two attempts to drown Spyro.  Fortunately, both attempts failed.  But not too long afterwards, everyone on the beach had to dodge a mega-tsunami.  Still wanting to have some peace, Spyro and the others headed to the Artisans World where Spyro, Hunter and Bianca headed to Town Square.  Aside from the bulls, things were pretty peaceful.  But that was shattered when Misteria showed up.  Luckily, Red was able to prevent Misteria from making off with Spyro.  Then Spyro, Red, Gildas, Hunter and Bianca headed to Stone Hill.  They had beach trouble because Ineptune found her way there and attempted to send Spyro to a watery grave once again.  But once again, Red was there to stop that from happening.
' is thoughts






     &n bsp;                                   Chapter 3: The Imperfect Storm

About three hours have passed since Spyro, Red, Hunter, Bianca and Gildas had returned from Town Square.  After all the excitement that happened, they had all taken a nap, which gave them the much-needed rest that they all needed.  They were currently awake now, rested and refreshed. 

"That was a good nap," Hunter said.

"You said it.  Facing off against Misteria really took a lot out of me," Bianca said.

"So is there anything else you want to do Spyro?" Red asked.

"Yes there is dad.  I want to spend some time alone with you," Spyro responded smiling.

Red smiled as well.  "Of course my son," he said before he and Spyro headed outside.  Once outside, he picked up Spyro before flying off.

Hunter and the others smiled as well.

"They need to have time alone," Bianca said.

"They sure do.  After all that's happened, they've got an awful lot of catching up to do," Gildas said.

Meanwhile, Red and Spyro were soaring through the clouds.  Red had used the Move spell to move Spyro to his back.  Then Red did a series of loops through the air.  Then he did some horizontal spirals before spiraling upwards and ending in a loop.  Spyro laughed through the aerodynamics.  He was having a lot of fun.  Red was laughing himself.  He was also having a lot of fun.

"Wow dad.  I didn't know that you could do this.  I hope that we can do this more often," Spyro said.

"Don't worry about that Spyro.  We will be doing this more often," Red said smiling.  "Make sure you have a good grip on me.  You'll really love this one."

Spyro tightened his grip a little in anticipation.  Red started with a horizontal spiral through the air.  Then he smoothly transitioned into a large vertical loop.  Still showing flawless grace, he pulled into an upwards spiral.  Then he dove straight down for a few minutes before pulling up into another loop.  He was right about Spyro liking the stunt because Spyro was laughing the whole time.

"That was really fun," Spyro said.

"I knew you'd like that.  I had fun myself," Red said.

Spyro then stood up to glide.  Red knew the intention and got ready.  Spyro glided off Red's back.  He soon felt himself in his father's strong arms.

"It must be great to be able to fly," Spyro said.

"It's one of the most wonderous feelings you'll ever have.  If you want to fly as well, then let's head to Sunny Flight where you can fly on your own," Red said.  He then landed at Gildas's house.

Gildas was just outside when he saw Red land.  "Back so soon?" he asked.

"No.  Spyro wanted to be able to fly on his own for a while so we're heading to Sunny Flight," Red responded.

"Okay.  I'll let Hunter and Bianca know," Gildas said before going back inside.

"Shall we go then?" Red asked Spyro.

"Let's," Spyro simply responded.

Red picked up Spyro and flew to the Return Home whirlwind.  Several moments later, he flew down into the whirlwind and came out of the Stone Hill portal.  Then Red put Spyro down, and they both headed for where Sunny Flight was.  They came to the wall that the portal was behind, and Spyro jumped on the stones.  The wall came down to reveal the Sunny Flight portal.

Red simply flew across the pool and landed in front of the now-revealed portal.  Spyro came up right beside him, and went through the portal with Red close behind.  The moment Spyro entered the portal, he felt himself flying, Red flying alongside him.  They saw the trains going through the tunnels.  They looked at each other.  They had the same mischievous look in there eyes as they smiled at each other.  Without even saying a word, they flew in opposite directions.

Spyro took out the train with a simply burst of flame.  He then flew through the other tunnels, taking out the remaining seven trains.  Then he flew inside the narrow entrance to the cave with the chests, destroying the three in the entrance.  He didn't see the other five and immediately knew that Red had taken those out.  He then flew out through the large space in the roof and began flying through the arches.

While going through the arches, Spyro saw Red pursuing the planes.  There were three remaining.  Red looked up and saw Spyro heading his way through the arches.  He gave Spyro a quick wave before continuing after the now two remaining planes.  After flying through all the arches, Spyro headed back to see that Red had taken out the remaining planes.

"That was a good workout," Spyro said.

"It was indeed," Red agreed.  "Let's just fly around for a while now," he added.

Spyro nodded and he and Red simply flew around the level.  An hour later, they decided to head back to Gildas's house.  Spyro simply flew into Red's arms before Red teleported back to Stone Hill.  Upon arriving at Stone Hill, Red put Spyro down and they went to Gildas's house.  Bianca was just outside when she saw them coming.

"Did you have fun?" Bianca asked.

"I had a blast," Spyro responded before telling her all about his and Red's day.

"It sounds like you both had a very good time," Bianca said smiling.

"We sure did," Red said smiling.

"So are Hunter and uncle Gildas inside?" Spyro asked.

"No they aren't.  They went out hunting for tonight's dinner about half an hour ago.  They should be back soon though," Bianca responded.

Meanwhile, Hunter and Gildas were doing pretty well.  Gildas took out the sheepherders while Hunter went after the rams.  Hunter ended up killing three rams.

"I think one more should do it Hunter," Gildas said.

"Okay," Hunter said.  He took careful aim and easily shot another ram.

Gildas then put the four dead rams into a net that he brought.  He then tied the ends together and slung the now bag-shaped net over his shoulder.  Then he and Hunter headed back for his house.  They arrived half an hour later.  Upon going inside, they saw that Red and Spyro had returned.

"Did you guys have fun?" Hunter asked.

"We had a blast," Red responded.

"Glad to hear it," Gildas said before putting down the net.

"Wow, you guys did pretty good out there," Bianca said.

"I'll say.  Between the four of us, that's enough meat for at least four days.  You always were one who got more than what needed Gildas," Red said smiling.

"Hey, you never know whatmight happen.  It's always good to be prepared," Gildas said.

Suddenly, the house shook.

"What was that?" Spyro asked.

"I don't know," Bianca responded before the house shook again.

"Let's get outside and fast," Hunter said.

Gildas picked up the meat from the hunt.  Everyone quickly got out of the house and into drenching rain and howling wind.

"It was sunny.  How did the weather change so suddenly?" Gildas said.

"It's Misteria," Red said.  "We should get inside the castle because it's a sturdier building," he added.

Everyone started towards the castle.  They made sure to go slowly due to the fierce winds.  The wind was so strong that it could blow any of them away at any second.  But it almost didn't matter in Spyro's case.  Being the  smallest of the group, he was really struggling against the wind.

"Hold out a little longer Spyro!  We're almost there!" Hunter said.

Suddenly, a huge guys of wind blew Spyro off the ground and through the air.

"I'm coming Spyro!" Red shouted.  He flew off after Spyro.

The wind was actually at Red's back, making it easier for him to fly through the air.  He quickly made his way to Spyro, wrapping his arms around Spyro.

"I've gotcha," Red said as he flew back towards the others.  He was flying against the wind now so it was a slow go.  He landed in front of the castle and entered.  Then he set Spyro down and Gildas shut the door.

"Thanks dad," Spyro said.

"You're welcome," Red said.

"That was a close one Spyro," Bianca said.

"I know," Spyro said.

Just then, a crack of thunder sounded.

"It looks like we've made it just in time too," Gildas said. 

Then everyone heard a loud growl.  Then they looked at Spyro.  Spyro blushed in embarrassment, earning a chuckle out of Red.

"I guess I'm hungry," Spyro said sheepishly before his stomach growled again.

"It's about time to eat anyway," Hunter said.  He was cooking some of the meat he and Gildas caught on a fire that he and Gildas started up.

Ten minutes later, the meat from one of the rams was ready to be eaten.  Everyone sat around the fire to eat.  The storm wasn't letting up outside.  It only intensified.  But the castle was holding out fine against the ever-intensifying storm, much to a particular dragon's dismay.

Misteria was at the center of the storm she created.  She was already in a foul mood after Red thwarted her attempt to capture Spyro yet again.  'I don't understand.  How can that castle be strong enough to withstand my storm?' she angrily thought.  But then she smirked.  'I guess that now it's time to show them a surprise move.'  She conjured up a few tornadoes and sent them through the castle windows.

Meanwhile, everyone inside the castle was enjoying the cooked ram when the wind suddenly and quickly began picking up.  They looked towards the windows to see a very unbelievable sight.  Swirling columns of wind were coming through the windows.   The freak tornadoes merged into one freak tornado upon coming into the castle.

Instead of destroying everything around it like tornadoes usually do, this tornado was created for only one purpose.  Spyro felt the tornado's swirling winds quickly pulling him toward it.  Gildas attempted to go in and grab Spyro, but the winds blew him against a wall.  He slowly got back up.  Spyro was now off his feet.  He screamed as he was pulled into the swirling funnel.

"What are we going to do?  Misteria clearly doesn't want any inteference," Bianca said worriedly.

The tornado then slowly made its way to the window.  Red flew in frotn of the window the tornado headed towards.

"What are you doing?" Hunter asked.  He couldn't believe that Red actually flew in front of the tornado.

"Have you lost your marbles?" Gildas added, just as incredulously.

"For that matter, have you lost your mind altogether?" Bianca asked in horror.

Red ignored all of them; his only concern being to get Spyro out of the unnatural twister.  He closed his eyes in concentration and teleported inside the twister.  He immediately felt the swirling winds trying to blow him back out.  He crossed his arms in fronot of his face.  It gave him very little help against the wind.

"Spyro where are you?" Red asked through the strong winds, struggling to just look around.  "I'm up here!" he heard in response.  He struggled against the winds to look up and barely made out Spyro being held in place at the tower ceiling.

The winds inside the tornado intensified.  Red was slowly being blown outside of the tornado.  He struggled hard to get to Spyro, but it was a losing battle.  He was quickly tiring out from struggling against the winds.  Although Spyro was pretty high up, he saw his father losing the battle with the winds.

'He has to get out.  The wind is too much for him to handle,' Spyro thought.  "You've got to get out of here!  The tornado's too much for you!" he said desperately.

"I'm not giving up until I get you out of here!" Red quickly said back.  He knew that he wouldn't be able to even stay aloft much longer.  But he continued through the punishing winds anyway, determined to get Spyro out.  'I won't let Misteria take him from me,' he thought resolvedly.  He suddenly saw a purple light.  He looked down and saw that his amulet was glowing again.  'What's going on?' he thought as the light washed over him.

Spyro, who had also seen the purple light, wondered the same thing.  'There's that light again.  But what's it doing?' he thought as he watched the light continue to wash over Red.

Red felt his energy being restored.  If that wasn't good enough, he could also no longer feel the tornado's winds affecting him.  Quickly taking advantage of the sudden good fortune, he flew up and wrapped his arms around Spyro.  The windshield that covered Red had expanded a little to cover Spyro as well.

"Are you okay?" Red asked.

"I am now," Spyro responded.  "But how do we get rid of this unnatural occurrence?" he added.

Responding to Spyro's question, the amulet glowed brighter.  Soon, Red and Spyro had to close their eyes from the growing brightness.  When the light died out, they opened their eyes to see that the tornado was gone.  The windshield around them was also gone, as it was no longer needed.  Red landed but still held onto Spyro.

"I've seen you do some pretty crazy things bro.  Out of all of them, I have to say that this was the absolute craziest thing I've ever seen you do," Gildas said.

"Love can make you do crazy things Gildas," Red said before looking back at Spyro.

Spyro looked up into Red's eyes.  He saw love shining through them.  He smiled and nuzzled his father's chest.  "I love you too," he said.

Red smiled and hugged Spyro closer.  He then put Spyro down a few moments later.  Another few moments later, the storm started to break up.  The thunder, lightning and hail had stopped.  The rain fell slower and slower.  The wind began to slowly die.  A few minutes later, the clouds  parted to reveal the sun again.  The wnid died to just a gentle breeze.  After staking it out in the castle, everyone then returned to Gildas's house.  Well, they returned to what was left of it.  The storm left the house in shambles.

"Well, it looks like we'll be staying in the castle until the house is rebuilt," Gildas said.

"Let's salvage what we can.  There has to be things that are still in tact," Spyro said.

The others nodded.  They looked around the shambled house.  They found blankets and pillows that were still useable.  Everything else was just about totaled.  They took the blankets and pillows and returned to the castle.  Gildas was suddenly wondering about the strange light he saw.  Hunter and Bianca had also seen the purple light.  Having seen it before, Hunter and Bianca knew where the light came from.

"What was that strange light?" Gildas asked.

"It came from Red's amulet.  Four days ago, Misteria came to the dojo and tried to kill Spyro.  She had Red, the other Elders, Hunter and me against the wall with a wind barrier.  We couldn't do anything to help Spyro who was at her mercy.  She was about to burn Spyro to death when a bright light came from Red's amulet.  The purple light broke down the wind barrier, which allowed Red and the other Elders to drive Misteria off," Bianca responded.

"It seems that there is indeed something very special about that amulet.  Ever since I first saw that amulet, I felt something unique about it since I have yet to see another amulet like the one Red wears," a different voice said.

Everyone looked towards the door to see Ragnar standing there.  He came to Stone Hill to meditate when the storm suddenly came up.  Like Red, he knew that Misteria was behind the sudden storm and figured that Spyro and Red had to be somewhere close by.  He was braving the storm himself when he saw the purple light shine brightly through the castle windows.

"What brings you here Sensei?" Spyro asked.

"I usually come here to meditate.  When the storm came from out of the blue, I knew that you were here because the weather doesn't change in the blink of an eye like it did a few hours ago.  Even though I was a good distance away from the castle, I would have to be blind to miss the very bright light that shone through the windows.  You could literally see that light from miles away," Ragnar responded.

"I've had this amulet for a pretty long time.  It's never reacted at all until four days ago," Red said.

"Maybe there's a reason about that," Ragnar suggested.

"But what is it Sensei?" Red asked.

"I can only make a guess.  The other Elders and I can channel our powers into our amulets.  But I think that your powers are different from those of your amulet.  If that's the case, then you'll have to find a way to link your magic to the amulet's magic.  It mave prove to be a great help in protecting Spyro," Ragnar responded.  He wond find out that hit hit the nail on the head.

"I always thought that this amulet was just another piece of jewelry since it hadn't done anything.  After what's been happening, I now realize that I don't know anything about it," Red said.  /Soon, you will know everything.  The time to reveal my past draws nearer/ he heard a female voice say in his head.  'I must be going crazy.  I'm hearing voices now,' he thought.

"Is something wrong?" Bianca asked.  She saw the spaced out look on Red's face.

"I heard an unfamiliar female voice inside my head.  She said something about revealing her past," Red responded.

"Maybe the voice you heard inside your head has something to do with your amulet," Ragnar suggested.

"Maybe you're right," Red said.  'Maybe being able to communicate with the voice will help to establish the link between the amulet and me,' he thought.  He didn't know how right he was in thinking that.  He also didn't know that time would be of the essence because he and the others would soon have yet another foe to deal with.

In a faraway shadowy land, the Sorcerer was plotting revenge against Spyro.  After his plans for draining the Dragon and Forgotten Worlds as well as Avalar of their magic were foiled, he went into hiding.  His power had grown stronger over the year span, and he was just about ready to exact his revenge against Spyro.

"I seriously underestimated that little dragon last time.  This time, I won't make the same mistake.  This time, I will eliminate him, and no one, not even Red will be able to stop me," the Sorcerer said.


Uh oh!  Just when it seemed like things couldn't get any worse, the most powerful enemy that Spyro has ever faced is back again.  Moving right along, preview for Chapter 4: The Sorcerer Returns:  After dealing with one of the worst storms ever, our heroes won't catch much of a break.  The Sorcerer quickly hatches a plot that will be a devastating blow to our heroes if successful.  Will our heroes be able to foil this plot?  Stay tuned to find out.

I'm back from my vacation in Vegas.  I had a wonderful time.  One of the things I did was see "Superman Returns".  I thought that it was a really awesome movie.